Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
He who buggers a fire burns his penis. Save for half damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Kai Tave posted:

What do you call a Beholder without any eyes?
A gas spore.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

inklesspen posted:

pro-tier av/post combo
Definitely could be worse.

I gotta change mine, eventually. Can't decide on what, though. Only thing I can really think of is Buddhist Herakles.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Dr. Doji Suave posted:

Good morning TG! Anyone have any big gaming plans this weekend?
No. :(

Might think about it while I'm out training for the big bike ride.

There's an RPG for professional wrestling, is professional cycling too hierarchical and regimented to be an RPG? Or would the only people interested in it rather be outside?

Domestique
Climb
Sprint
...Dope?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Dr. Doji Suave posted:

Big bike ride? Have you ever done the Sagbraw (Race across Wisconsin)?
No, I'm super local; I'm doing the Five Boro Bike tour in NYC at the end of the month. Only 40 miles, but it's usually booked solid. Got centuries in June & July up in cow country, but I'll probably only make 80 miles.

Ryoshi posted:

FFXIV is great but TSW lets me shoot chainsaw clown zombies with healing assault rifles with no monthly fee so I play that instead now.
I keep thinking about getting back into that, I played the trial, ages back. Worth picking it up next sale?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Wasn't DFO the one with the gunner class that carted around a minigun? Too grindy; like an endless Streets of Rage.

Does TSW still have the jacket with the Shadowrun dragon? That was kinda funny.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Fading Suns had a blackjack style dice resolution mechanic. Rolling higher is better, as long as you don't roll over your target, which is skill&statąsituational modifiers. I think 1 was automatic but boring success, 20 was automatic failure, unless you had high skill, and I think getting target exactly doubled degree of success.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

That sounds like Long Live the Queen's mood system.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Maid?
The Master is the Captain Daisa(?), and the PCs are torpedoes/Kaiten pilots. Player with the lowest Favor gets fired at the next ship, so, uh, better swab those decks, chop chop.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Covok posted:

Somehow -- perhaps because of naivety --, I didn't connect the "AT" in that clause with "Adventure Time." Now, all I can say is, that adult fans of children shows need to stop being weird.
What were you expecting AT to stand for, if anything?
Anti-Tank Burlesque? That's probably been a thing somewhere.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

grassy gnoll posted:

This post is adorable.

(It's not burgers.)
Oh right, an At Tijuana Burlesque.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Women not playing Magic is probably for the best; it's a terrible game, and I feel better that at least some people are saving themselves from it. :downsrim:

:spergin: My own hobbies are in every way perfect, of course.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I think RIFTS was the drop in game I played at a gamestore. The GM used the laser sight on his pistol as a pointing aid. I don't know if that counts as grog or just Arizona.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

To be fair, it was only a SDC pistol.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I think GM style is way more important than system for introducing new people or kids to RPGs. With setting a close second, if you're worried about your GM style :unsmith:

For a newbie without any system mastery?
The system is just a prop, treat rolling like, like high-speed astragalomancy; roll and prophesy. Nobody cares when the oracle is talking out of their rear end, only that the oracle speaks.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Ningyou posted:

it really leaves me wondering like how does a god jack it and why
Exalted.txt?

Also get your cultural imperialism out of the thread.
#notallgods are like that.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

So is shitposting the new trendy thing now?
I don't know if I should keep that Set running or Ra-ze it to the ground. You're all a bunch of Bast-erds, but I'm Hathor-ing a hard time deciding your Aten-tion is worth it.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

RIFTS Africa? The Stargate RPG?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Are there any RPGs revolving around algorithms? Or maybe just limited control of your character?

The closest thing I can think of is Burning Wheel's Instincts, that are if-then statements of things your character automatically does. Everyone is John?
In boardgames, there's Robo Rally. In CRPGs, there's Dragon Age's tactics system, or there's a genre of games revolving around writing algorithms to autopilot characters through dungeons.

I don't know, maybe RPGs, especially PbP are straying into the uncanny valley. Like the synthetics from Alien or maybe the Terminator, living flesh over a machine skeleton, they just feel off.
Maybe just stick with the algorithm question for now.

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 23, 2015

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I'm pretty sure I would have been a much happier person if I'd never crossed paths with Monsterhearts.

I did find it interesting that lack of agency was mentioned in game design and I did think the mechanics were pretty good at encouraging the adversarial shenanigans that make up the genre.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Effectronica posted:

Is that seriously where you got your redtext?
Surprisingly, no. I think.
I think I was cracking jokes about one of Ningyou's games, comparing it to Revengeance or something.
I don't actually know who I pissed off enough for them to do it, but it's been an albatross around my neck ever since.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

The adversarial system is a cool concept, but the implementation tends to make the game a race to being chief bully, because being a tremendous rear end in a top hat is the primary way to get stronger and grow as a person. Kinda eighties, I guess.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Dare I ask?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Captain Foo posted:

are you a coward or something
Yes?

Evil Mastermind posted:

About what? There's a lot of poo poo going on in here today.
Stupid stuff.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Alt-hist Bismark dueled Virchow, ate the wrong sausage, and became a Worm-That-Walks, leading to the unification of Germany at the Treaty of Wurms?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I intend to celebrate :911:Loyalty Day:911: in the traditional American fashion; by going to work.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Eh, just be calm about it and everything should be fine. If not, well, not your problem.

Don't worry about them; worst comes to worst, there's always PbP. :v:

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Just ask in the recruiting thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

One pops up in the regular recruitment thread every once in a while.

• Locked thread