Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Warcraft 3
gently caress yeah!
I prefer non-Blizzard RTS games (retard option)
View Results

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Anatharon posted:

Undead was kinda OP.
You wouldn't say that if you'd played Undead vs Orc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

time for a joke
Apr 30, 2004

randomly pairing people up 2v2 is going to be just as lopsided as 1v1s, it's very easy to divide & conquer in this game unless you're playing 4v4 and then it's very easy to just do goofy poo poo and win because you know the game mechanics better than anybody else

sure getting more people involved will probably be more fun but let's not pretend it's going to change who would progress through the tournament

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

Comparing other races to Orc isn't remotely fair.

Imagine that picture of 2 pokemon and a GEP gun except with undead/night elf and Orc.

Humans are sitting in the sad corner.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 2, 2015

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
A collection of big FFAs (12 players?!?) would be sweet. If we get more than 12 players then we can do a FFA bracket where the last 3 or 4 survivors progress into the next round.
FFAs are still fun even with skill differential 'cause if there's a gosu in the henhouse then all the noobs can team up together to try and take her down.

Note that the only balanced 12 player FFA map is "divide & conquer taverns" available here

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Anatharon posted:

Humans are sitting in the sad corner.

In another lifetime when I gave a gently caress about warcraft 3 meta undead was pretty bad and humans were pretty awesome because they had a bunch of aoe heroes and slow/priests

why are they bad?

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I got on and tried to search 3v3, we did not find a match. Thats my war 3 story. :rip:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

darealkooky posted:

In another lifetime when I gave a gently caress about warcraft 3 meta undead was pretty bad and humans were pretty awesome because they had a bunch of aoe heroes and slow/priests

why are they bad?

Humans' main problem is that their early game is pretty bad compared to the other races'. Their heroes in particular are pretty bad early on so if there isn't a tavern on the map to get a Tinker or Firelord or what have you, fast expanding (which is a big deal to Humans) is really risky. Ivory towers and mini town halls in TFT helped though.

Just as an example compare Paladins to Shadow Hunters, Death Knights and Keepers of the Grove.

Paladin Vs. Death Knight

Death Knight stats are either identical or better vs. Paladin's (they have like 2 less armor for 50 more move speed)

Holy Light is better for healing than Death Coil is but Death Coil is a better nuke so call it even
Unholy Aura is ridiculously good
Death Pact killing a unit isn't an issue because ghouls are cheap in a pinch and the rod of necromancy summons 2 skeletons
Animate Dead is basically straight up better than Resurrection.

Humans' strength is in their spellcasters and air units but air units are really easy to counter. Priests and Sorceresses are just really good in general though.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 2, 2015

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
Here's an idea: run kitty run, or uther party

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

THE PENETRATOR posted:

Here's an idea: run kitty run, or uther party

These kind of maps were the reason why I spent 99% of my WC3 time on custom games. Well that, and I sucked at RTS's in general with my only tried and true strategy of turtling up as humans.

time for a joke
Apr 30, 2004

Anatharon posted:

Humans' main problem is that their early game is pretty bad compared to the other races'. Their heroes in particular are pretty bad early on so if there isn't a tavern on the map to get a Tinker or Firelord or what have you, fast expanding (which is a big deal to Humans) is really risky. Ivory towers and mini town halls in TFT helped though.

Just as an example compare Paladins to Shadow Hunters, Death Knights and Keepers of the Grove.

Paladin Vs. Death Knight

Death Knight stats are either identical or better vs. Paladin's (they have like 2 less armor for 50 more move speed)

Holy Light is better for healing than Death Coil is but Death Coil is a better nuke so call it even
Unholy Aura is ridiculously good
Death Pact killing a unit isn't an issue because ghouls are cheap in a pinch and the rod of necromancy summons 2 skeletons
Animate Dead is basically straight up better than Resurrection.

Humans' strength is in their spellcasters and air units but air units are really easy to counter. Priests and Sorceresses are just really good in general though.

human tri hero is infinitely better than undead in hu vs ud and still really good vs other races (although firelord/beastmaster is a very strong second hero for a tier 2 timing sorc/tower push against orc/elf)

human's strength is in their versatility. militia creeping and fast building are insanely strong, as are every hero and caster you could want because of brilliance aura. yeah blademaster and demon hunter are probably too strong, but i think human is the strongest race aside from those two "broken" heroes

edit: undead is universally known as the weakest 1v1 race

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

rofl the undead vs orc 1v1

Anatharon posted:

Dude do you even know what you're talking about - Humans had easily the strongest opening in TFT ladder on any non-poison map barring moon levels of night elf control. Cheap farms on top of militia movespeed meant you had a scout advantage over almost anyone too. I mean if by weak early game you mean a blademaster can ruin a bad human player's day sure but FE strats are so hard for anyone to stop. Road to Stratholme and Terenas Stand were basically perfect for fast expands.

Archmage is also like, a key hero to fast expanding because the water elementals are there to tank for your militia. I'm pretty sure Lost Temple (the main ladder map w/out a tavern) race winrates were Human > Orc > UD = NE

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 2, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i played me some undead and lemme tell you, i cried me some tears into lord deathstrom's muscular arms

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

i played me some undead and lemme tell you, i cried me some tears into lord deathstrom's muscular arms

if I ever made it to tier 2 as UD vs Orc I made sure to bm him constantly because he was probably not using his bm properly!

tier 3 was the dream though

Granted if you made it to tier 3 you were probably playing against an orc that didn't know how to use any of his units.

Anatharon posted:

Also priests are mediocre, sorceresses are great, siege engines are the best. The greatest strength for humans was their ability to fast expand and then transition to any kind of counter unit.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 2, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if i ever made it to tier 3 against an orc i made sure to ask them if they'd had a heart attack and died

then again a cold corpse could win that matchup

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
anyway i'd prob try to reinstall to play but only for 1v1's if it's ladder and goddamn i'm rusty w/ footman surrounds w/out a mountain king

uther party would be a good way to do it, 4v4's is too dumb on map selection (and undead is legit ridiculous on 4v4's because of skelly rods), and i have a hard time remembering 2v2 and 3v3 ladder as anything but a crapshoot (if you get a guy that says "they'll tech" it's time to just call it a loss or hope someone's equally dumb on the other team)

alternatively joke 3v3 tournament w/ highperch as the only map.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 2, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a tournament where the conditions, map, and game mode are random every round

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

round 1: 1v1 ladder
round 2: all the winners play uther party, two in last place are eliminated
round 3: dota
round 4: 2v2 ladder
round 5: dbz tribute

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

round 1: 1v1 ladder
round 2: all the winners play uther party, two in last place are eliminated
round 3: dota
round 4: 2v2 ladder
round 5: dbz tribute

only if it's dota 5.84b w/ no hamachi / private server / reconnect support

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Zoness posted:

anyway i'd prob try to reinstall to play but only for 1v1's if it's ladder and goddamn i'm rusty w/ footman surrounds w/out a mountain king

uther party would be a good way to do it, 4v4's is too dumb on map selection (and undead is legit ridiculous on 4v4's because of skelly rods), and i have a hard time remembering 2v2 and 3v3 ladder as anything but a crapshoot (if you get a guy that says "they'll tech" it's time to just call it a loss or hope someone's equally dumb on the other team)

alternatively joke 3v3 tournament w/ highperch as the only map.

I feel like it would be more interesting to watch team games where some people are just terrible and their team mates are desperately trying to make up for it, rather than watching a bunch of pointless 1v1 massacres followed by maybe one or two matches that are slightly competitive. Also, anyone who doesn't know warcraft 3 well enough to remember the ladder metagame is now so intimidated by the discussion in this thread that there's no way they'll want to sign up for 1v1s.

Although it doesn't really seem like anyone is interested anyway, as far as I can tell there are a few people who acknowledge having Warcraft 3 but only myself and the penetrator have actually said we'd play.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Adam Bowen posted:

I feel like it would be more interesting to watch team games where some people are just terrible and their team mates are desperately trying to make up for it, rather than watching a bunch of pointless 1v1 massacres followed by maybe one or two matches that are slightly competitive. Also, anyone who doesn't know warcraft 3 well enough to remember the ladder metagame is now so intimidated by the discussion in this thread that there's no way they'll want to sign up for 1v1s.

I can't help it, someone stated as fact that UD was the best race and Humans the worst.

I mean let's be honest NA ladder was a crapshoot in matchup quality even in its heyday and the best matchup ever is the night elf mirror.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

But the best race is Undead because Arthas is dreamy

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I won't deny that UD was fun to play until you ran into a guy that knew how to kill acolytes while you were trying to get a Halls of the Dead.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Endorph posted:

If I remember right Blademaster could straight up solo most undead armies, and lord help you if that Blademaster got anywhere near your Acolytes

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

it's cool ud can just make a frost tower and only lose like half of their workers instead of all of them

or you can spend a ton of money early on to wall off your workers in farms and then lose because you have no units

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Adam Bowen posted:

Also, anyone who doesn't know warcraft 3 well enough to remember the ladder metagame is now so intimidated by the discussion in this thread that there's no way they'll want to sign up for 1v1s.

Although it doesn't really seem like anyone is interested anyway, as far as I can tell there are a few people who acknowledge having Warcraft 3 but only myself and the penetrator have actually said we'd play.

I am intimidated but I will play

Depending on how the scheduling works out though I might have to play on my laptop. Game isn't installed on my desktop and the disks are at my dad's house.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

You don't need the discs anymore, register the CD key to your battle.net account instead.

ErectorBeast
Sep 19, 2010

"I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it."
I will play and lose to nerds and uproot my buildings for the war effort

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Adam Bowen posted:

You don't need the discs anymore, register the CD key to your battle.net account instead.

Yeah but like the CD key is with the CDs you know

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

ninjewtsu posted:

Get your dad to fax it over

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

ninjewtsu posted:

ur dad not have a cellphone u technologically impaired bitch?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Zoness posted:

Dude do you even know what you're talking about -

I was probably just below or above the level of play you're talking about. :shrug:

Man I miss Warcraft 3.

Anyways if anyone wants to play some war 3 before this add me on steam (steamcommunity.com/id/ItsSafeNow)

Adam Bowen posted:

I will play.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 2, 2015

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

i havent played in a while but I WILL TRY

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

count me in

ArcticKnife
Mar 2, 2015
I'm ALL in for a WC3 tourney, never won one on bnet before though I came close a few times =)

time for a joke
Apr 30, 2004

sign me up if it's for real games. if it's for dota or castle fight or whatever maybe don't sign me up

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Uther Party or bust.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
I'll take you all on Uther party!

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I haven't played this poo poo in years. And never versus real people.

Depending on scheduling, I'm down for this poo poo.

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXgr6SYYNZM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
"I'll distract the enemy with my human call: I'm so wasted! I'm so wasted!" - night elf dryad

• Locked thread