Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
I assume once I get over the hump into really taking on hard level maps and when more normal level maps get released my max stamina will increase to a point where it won't be such an issue. Right now it's a real bummer though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

James Totes posted:

Beat Underground Waterway, but didn't master it. I just didn't have enough DPS to avoid taking the scores of time/damage taken, unfortunately. Even with perfect mastery of the other zones. Damnit!

I had this problem too, I didn't take Black Mage along thinking I'd be able to work around not having the Dark bonus.

Nope. And I can't even max out the trash stages with BM in my party. :sigh:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Elite Sinspawn Ammes has a ridiculous amount of health, I wailed on it for a good fifteen minutes before the Sinscales finally got me.

I think I can get it down though, so I'll just dive back in as soon as I get my stamina back. The trash mobs are easy enough at least.

I'll likely take on the Mist Dragon after this, do people know how many turns it takes before turning into mist, or is it random?

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'll likely take on the Mist Dragon after this, do people know how many turns it takes before turning into mist, or is it random?

If I remember correctly it's three, same as Guard Scorpion. Same wait length too, only you don't get to count off the attacks it makes in counter stance since Mist Dragon doesn't attack there.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
Should I spend a lot of resources honing my basic skills like Cure and Thunder? I've just started the expert dungeons and the bosses have an absurd amount of health, I'm running out of Cure and all my elemental spell charges long before they go down.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Shaezerus posted:

If I remember correctly it's three, same as Guard Scorpion. Same wait length too, only you don't get to count off the attacks it makes in counter stance since Mist Dragon doesn't attack there.

Longer, actually. At least based on my experience. When I counted, it switched forms on attack four. But I beat it on my next run so I might be wrong.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

gently caress floor 60 Rydia dies in one hit and wakka isn't enough to kill it

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Ugh 65 is another lovely immune to melee attacks boss. It wouldn't be so bad if you could just change your party or something. But nope, can't even equip an additional spell or anything which means if you gently caress up that's 102 stamina.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

"item highlights" 2 star elemental orbs my rear end. Spent 40 stamina before I realized I was only getting 1 stars and my 2 star lightning orbs weren't going up at all.

What's the point of spending the extra stamina on normal if I get the same poo poo as on easy? Seriously, 40 stamina and not a single 2 star lightning orb (or probably any 2 star orb although I wasn't checking those.)

Is there another place I can go to farm those?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

BrainDance posted:

Someone suggested going to the hard level one 10-stamina section at a time before retreating, that seems to be pretty reliable for lesser orbs if you don't die too often.

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em
For keeping Rydia alive, Did you set her formation in the party to Rear, and give her a FF 7 armor if possible?

Event Boss notes stolen from reddit.

10th Floor Boss is weak against all status effects except Poison, and is resistant to Fire. He has entirely single target abilities and can Poison. He appears as a regular encounter later on in the tower. There may be multiple bosses (similar to Magitek Armor).

20th Floor Boss is vulnerable to Lightning and immune to all status effects except Slow. He has a physical attack that hits the entire party, and multiple other single-target abilities. Doesn't look too hard. May be multiple bosses.

30th Floor Boss (the one guarding Tifa) has a hit-all flame attack and a powerful single target attack. He is weak against Wind and is vulnerable to Poison, Blind, Sleep, Stop, and Slow.

40th Floor Boss is Resistant to Lightning. It has two parts (like Baigan, but with three bots). The bots(?) auto resurrects if killed and seems to be the primary attacker. It is vulnerable to ALL status effects, however. I just DPS raced the boss to win with a lvl 20-25ish party.

50th Floor Boss is weak against Sleep, Paralyze, Poison, and Blind. May be multiple bosses.

60th Floor Boss is unreachable with melee attacks, immune to all status effects except Slow, and is vulnerable to Lightning. One of his Target Conditions is No KOs.

65th Floor Boss is unreachable with melee attacks, immune to all status effects except Slow, and is vulnerable to Lightning. One of his Target Conditions is No KOs.

Final Boss has two combatants. One is a support combatant, providing buffs to the primary boss (and is also vulnerable to nearly all status effects, including Sleep). Kill it first. The primary boss is a Physical Attacker that is vulnerable to both Blind and Poison. Blinding the boss should guarantee victory.

Gegil fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 3, 2015

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014
Just beat the floor 65 boss. I was really worried when I went into the block of floors and then read that there was another unreachable since I wasn't ready. I barely made it with 4 Thundara's and a Summon Chocobo from Rydia and 2 Jumps and 2 Double Jumps from Kain.

Thankfully I mastered this one because the boss was REALLY intent on killing Kain who was wearing a beefed up protect vest, so nobody died lol. Now I gotta go back and master 55-60 since I only got a complete there because Hundred Gunner chewed through my team and ruined my master for the block.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Are status effect spells worth picking up? Sounds like Blind/Sleep are useful, and they might actually let me get that Mastered rank in Elite Zanarkand.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I've gotten some good use out of slow and paralyze (from the combat skill).

Just got an Ice Rod from a relic pull, this'll probably help juice up my Black Mage.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 2, 2015

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Nuebot posted:

I beat it using a strategy someone in the old topic posted about. I gave Weedgoku the buster sword and Jump. Killed the drat thing in one hit. Turns out it only has like 8k health or something.

Crap, this would probably work with the Grand Glove, too - where the hell do I get the orbs for Jump, again? I've been trying to grind for it just so Kain can actually loving have something to do except soak hits, against bosses.

Mischalaniouse posted:

Should I spend a lot of resources honing my basic skills like Cure and Thunder? I've just started the expert dungeons and the bosses have an absurd amount of health, I'm running out of Cure and all my elemental spell charges long before they go down.

The first tiers aren't really worth it unless you have the resources to spare. It's better, as far as spells go, to start honing 2* skills like the elemental swords and the -ara spells if you can, since the only limit to what skills you can use is your current supplies and the characters' internal equip restrictions.

Schwartzcough posted:

I wish. I've gotten a 3-star sword and a 3-star hammer. Who even uses hammers except Tyro? Useless.

If we get him, FF4!Cid would like a word with you. :colbert: Thinking about it, though... he's really the only one, isn't he? I guess any White Mage-type characters might, but that's not a definite in the slightest.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

KataraniSword posted:

Crap, this would probably work with the Grand Glove, too - where the hell do I get the orbs for Jump, again? I've been trying to grind for it just so Kain can actually loving have something to do except soak hits, against bosses.

The orbs for jump can mostly be gotten from Figaro castle, the event yesterday was your best avenue for them but you might have missed that window. What orbs are you missing for it?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Samba De Amigo posted:

The orbs for jump can mostly be gotten from Figaro castle, the event yesterday was your best avenue for them but you might have missed that window. What orbs are you missing for it?

Looking at my ability creation screen, I'm missing... Lesser Power Orbs. :downs: WELP, time to farm Figaro!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

KataraniSword posted:

If we get him, FF4!Cid would like a word with you. :colbert: Thinking about it, though... he's really the only one, isn't he? I guess any White Mage-type characters might, but that's not a definite in the slightest.

Japan's character list seems like they don't have Cid, so it won't be for a while, if it does. They have Rydia, Kain, Tellah, Golbez, and both Dark Knight and Paladin versions of Cecil.

Looking at the list, seems like the only characters besides Tyro that can use hammers are... Golbez, Paladin Cecil, Warrior, Knight, Luneth, and Josef. Might have missed some but basically, the big dudes (sans Cecil).

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
That's strange, there aren't any two star mats dropping from the medium difficulty of today's daily dungeon. Anyone else having the same issue?

EDIT: I"m a dumbass, the pic several posts above didn't load for me the first time I updated.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 2, 2015

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Solkanar512 posted:

That's strange, there aren't any two star mats dropping from the medium difficulty of today's daily dungeon. Anyone else having the same issue?

You're just getting unlucky it's happened to me a few times. But I can say that I've gotten lesser orbs today from medium. It sucks, but as mentioned earlier if you REALLY need lesser orbs just spend the 10 stamina and do the first level of hard and then leave if you can win one stage.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Solkanar512 posted:

I've gotten some but the drop rate is very disappointing compared to yesterday's orb dungeon. At least it's an FFIV dungeon so that I can level Rydia up some to take more shots at Shinra 60 then 65.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
It's weird because on Tuesday I was getting 3 or 4 Lesser orbs every run of the dungeon, whereas on Monday I literally never got one. Today I think I got maybe 2 so far (from 3-4 runs). Sometimes I wonder if I'm being randomly placed into a "drop chance" bracket or something.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

So even if there are better Stamina::XP places, is there any reason not to grind the difficulty appropriate Daily dungeon for orbs/eggs/etc so that you're getting more than just an xp return on your stamina?

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

Nephzinho posted:

So even if there are better Stamina::XP places, is there any reason not to grind the difficulty appropriate Daily dungeon for orbs/eggs/etc so that you're getting more than just an xp return on your stamina?

Depending on what orbs you are looking for you might be better off grinding a specific dungeon level as the Normal daily dungeons for orbs have had horrible drop rates in my experience.
The Weapon, Armor, and Gil dailies have had good drop rates for me.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PmSyWoSZgI_hxwX8TSYXQcpTBAWFAMDJJdSxVpJkSxk/htmlview?pli=1&sle=true

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Welp, out of Classic Dungeons. Should I go start Elite ones now? Guard Scorpion Elite wasn't too bad, but it was the first level.

e: oh, also what sort of level do I want to be before trying the Hard daily dungeons?

McDragon fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 2, 2015

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Welp.

Started last night. Rescued Tifa.

This morning, finished the base dungeons and visited my old pal GScorp.

Barely, just barely.

This game really scratches the right itch. Just wish there was enough max stam that I wasn't bleeding it every couple of hours.

McDragon posted:

Welp, out of Classic Dungeons. Should I go start Elite ones now? Guard Scorpion Elite wasn't too bad, but it was the first level.
What up, GScorp buddy?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I tried Octomammoth for the Light Rod earlier today but I messed up and used Element Reels so I didn't master the dungeon. Gonna try that again, and then maybe grind for orbs in FF6 land the rest of the day so I can hone more crap and get slightly more EXP.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
So, are named characters straight upgrades to fighter, white mage and black mage? Also, do you get any other FFVII character besides Cloud in order to help with Tifa and Sephirot?

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Fat Samurai posted:

So, are named characters straight upgrades to fighter, white mage and black mage? Also, do you get any other FFVII character besides Cloud in order to help with Tifa and Sephirot?

Yes, 90% of the time to question 1. No to question 2. Those three are the only VII units in NA right now.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Good Citizen posted:

I assume once I get over the hump into really taking on hard level maps and when more normal level maps get released my max stamina will increase to a point where it won't be such an issue. Right now it's a real bummer though.

I haven't run all the master maps in Japan yet but I have 97 stamina there currently. Not being able to to just powerlevel yourself for a bunch of stamina (like ToG farming in PAD) is annoying early on though.

BrainDance posted:

"item highlights" 2 star elemental orbs my rear end. Spent 40 stamina before I realized I was only getting 1 stars and my 2 star lightning orbs weren't going up at all.

What's the point of spending the extra stamina on normal if I get the same poo poo as on easy? Seriously, 40 stamina and not a single 2 star lightning orb (or probably any 2 star orb although I wasn't checking those.)

Highlights are the good drops, not the only drops. Plus yesterday the normal dungeon was giving 3 star orbs while the highlights were the 2 star ones, so it's kinda weird in general. Though yesterday's dungeon also dropped 2 star orbs more often than I expected so I wonder if it was bugged. Sadly I didn't get any 4 star orb drops when I ran some Hard levels. :(

If you can reliably clear a single stage of the hard levels it's worth doing that for 2-3 star orbs if you don't have any more use for 1 star stuff.

Boozie
Feb 2, 2013
Early on, what abilities are worth crafting/leveling?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Evil Fluffy posted:

I haven't run all the master maps in Japan yet but I have 97 stamina there currently. Not being able to to just powerlevel yourself for a bunch of stamina (like ToG farming in PAD) is annoying early on though.

5 hours of reserve? :saddowns:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Boozie posted:

Thundara. Silence and Sleep are super good for some fights. Giving Wakka Boost is pretty awesome. I also gave him Salve because what else am I gonna do with all those minors?

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Boozie posted:

Thunder Strike, Fire/Blizzard Strike (Blizzard Strike is more useful right now in the NA version). Try to get these to at least 2/5 IMO.

1-2 Thundara's. Ideally both at 2/5. I also made sure to have 2 Thunders at 2/5.

Boost. You only need one, but feel free to level it as much as you need.

Currently for the Shinra tower the skills that are greatly beneficial to have are Jump (if you use Kain or have a 5 star weapon for Tyro; 1/5 is fine. 2/5 at most for now) and Dark Strike (to blind the floor 70 boss, you only need 1/5).

Everything else is just kinda w/e. Cura is nice to have for Tyro for a "oh poo poo that just nuked my caster". Fira and Blizzara are needed if you intend to do elite dungeons but Thundara is more important. And more important than these is the elemental strikes for Cloud.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Fat Samurai posted:

The generics (and Tyro) have lower stats and aren't game-specific, meaning they'll only get synergy bonuses in a handful of daily event dungeons as opposed to things like the FF7 tower. Tyro makes up for this minorly by being able to equip any equipment or skill in the game, including character-specific ones (though I don't think he can use the Soul Breaks?) but he's still very much a jack of all trades and master of none. The other classes don't even have that.

We don't have a named White Mage equivalent, yet, but Wakka is better than the Ranger, Cloud and Tidus are better than the Fighter, and Rydia is better than the Black Mage.

You don't really need any FF7 characters except for Cloud in order to get to Tifa, but getting Seph is going to take a bit more work and time (and possibly luck with Relic pulls, if you want to rely on "Jump + Buster Sword" combo to deal with Hundred Gunner)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Alright, time to comb back through the last few pages and try to get a help/tip/hint list up for the OP.

Toshimo posted:

5 hours of reserve? :saddowns:

Yeah I know. If you're OCD like me and hate to waste stamina it's terrible but wen I went from about 80-91 stamina it was non-stop playing because I'd clear 2-3 dungeons and get 5+ stamina gems before running out. The worst is when you get 1 for clearing and 5 for mastery, and you already had 4 so you go up 2 stamina. I've wasted so much stamina doing that. :saddowns:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Grah, even avoiding the Water absorption I wasn't able to Master the Octomammoth fight. I guess I just need to kill it faster. Which I can't yet. Honing goooooo.

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
Beat both bosses. Jump, thundara and thunderstrike with tyro bow solved 8t. They don't have much HP. Lv 25 and going into 70!

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

James Totes posted:

Beat both bosses. Jump, thundara and thunderstrike with tyro bow solved 8t. They don't have much HP. Lv 25 and going into 70!

I'm around this level, and beat the first ranged boss just barely (it took out both Tyro and Wakka, though I think I still had a Thundara and four Thunders left). Could you post some information about your team? Like, say, what Rydia's magic and defense was at, and what Tyro's attack was at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Should I take the time to grind some Protect Vest/Black Robes for my team before continuing on with the story after unlocking those zones or should I keep doing story stuff to build up my Stamina/get more XP?

e: Alternatively, should I grind Figaro to get my Lesser Lightnings so I can get some of these Thundara/Thunder Strikes people are talking about?

Klungar fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 2, 2015

• Locked thread