Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Quick note for people focusing on the Shinra event: Remember it runs for 2 weeks so you can always stop to farm daily dungeons.

Yeah I ground out Tifa and now I'm working on levelling my party/grinding orbs for spells/honing before I go back in a week or so. I figure I can get everyone up to 30+ and have all my spells sorted/partially honed by then.

One tip you might want to mention is how easily farmable the 3* Black Cowl is from FFV Ship Graveyard normal. Drops semi-rarely off the end boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I just skimmed the wiki but aren't there two ranged-only bosses? If you burn all your spells on the first it won't help progress any.

Thank god it's a nice long event so I have a ton of time.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

baram. posted:

Also the Jump skill is stronger for Kain than his Double Jump overdrive :(

Yeah overdrives in general feel really weak. I'd rather Thunder Strike with Cloud than use his.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Question for anyone playing the JP version, do capped characters still consume their share of the XP? Any numbers on how that shakes out?

Trying to decide whether to let Cloud solo for a while to power level others or just keep grinding with my usual full party.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Just take your party in to the level 3 (or 4 if you can manage it) XP dungeon with the low level character and he'll be up to par in no time. Also don't forget the current event there has that weird tomestone/tablet thing you use to get extra rewards

I'm not sure what you mean by the tomestone/tablet thing?

The rest sounds great. My party is currently in the low to mid 20s and I hope to have them approaching 30 by the time Sunday and the XP dungeon arrives. Assuming mostly 3-4 star weapons and a few key abilities like Thunder Strike/Thundara/Cura/Boost/Jump would the level 4 one be worth considering trying?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Fortunately we have a little more than ten days to grind. It shouldn't be a problem to pack on a bunch of levels and have a bunch of abilities honed once before the event ends.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Evil Fluffy posted:

(If you aren't playing on the japanese version and I misunderstood you disregard all this)

I'm not, thus my confusion. :D I was just asking about the JP version cause I'm pretty sure no one in the NA version has any level 50s yet to know how XP distribution with a capped character plus a low level partner works.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Nickoten posted:

Okay so today's Mana Stronghold daily is the real deal. I got plenty of Lesser Power, White, and Black orbs just as promised (unlike yesterday's which never gave me any Lessers despite those being the featured item). I think it's probably worth pausing in the event dungeon to take advantage of this.

Yeah it's awesome. I'm up to about a dozen 3* orbs from doing Normal today, plus a ton of Lessers.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Am I doing it wrong then, because I seem to be getting mostly 1* orbs and only a small number of 2* and rarely a 3* orb.

Probably not, I've been off all day and out shopping so I've been able to burn my stamina before it caps since 7am when I woke up. Wouldn't get anywhere near this many runs on a normal work day.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Why even bother trying right now? If you do pretty much anything for the next week you're going to gain levels, and the dungeon is here for ten more days. Save your stamina, go do something productive like farm orbs or XP.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

James Totes posted:

Edit: For grinding, I've been doing the Underground Waterway South/North. They give 2.5k Normal exp and are easy to mastery for 5k EXP per 13 stamina. Pretty efficient.

The Normal Wednesday dungeons mastered give 2500ish XP each for 5 stamina per run, plus orbs.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Probably a really obvious thing but don't forget you can stick Boost in the second slot on Cloud then have him Boosting Kain on the ranged bosses. Better than him just sitting there doing nothing.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Wow I majorly overprepared for the two ranged only bosses. Rydia alone with a healer probably could have soloed both.

Just one more set of floors to go and I'll have Sephiroth. :woop:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Schwartzcough posted:

so I feel like I'm kinda screwed on getting 4 or 5* gear if there's no real source for mythril outside of the occasional event.

Just guessing but if the current event is any indicator you're looking at 14 Mythril from a single event dungeon. That's not too bad, decently comparable to the rate PAD gives out stones, perhaps a tad stingier.

I do really like the decision to give away the characters and make the weapons the monetization scheme. Would have sucked having a system where you'd be spending $5 a pop worth of IAP currency hoping to roll that rare Sephiroth or Cloud.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

James Totes posted:

0/7 Black Cowl

I'm. I'm just going to cut my losses and work on getting the Star Rod instead...

There's plenty of time to farm for Black Cowls, you want three anyway. Go grab your Light Rod and Staff, they help a lot.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

James Totes posted:

As far as I can tell? You do. His stats are crazy.

His stats are crazy but his ability selection isn't ideal and the weapon options are pretty poo poo. Still levelling him with a 4* dagger but he's not setting my world on fire.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Mog posted:

Have you tried giving him Fire?

He only has a 74 in Magic at max level making him a pretty crummy caster. Plus he can't equip any caster weapons. By comparison Rydia has 120 plus caster rods.

As for what he can run, it's Combat up to rank 5, Samurai up to rank 5 and Black Magic up to rank 3. For Black Magic since the stat dependent damage spells are out its pretty much the debuffs. At a glance we don't seem to have any Samurai abilities yet.

That leaves Combat which yields 4* Bladeblitz, Double Cut, the Break skills, Body Slam, Charge and Blade Bash. I'm guessing the best way to go is start with Body Slam/Blade Bash or a Black Magic debuff, upgrade to Double Cut then start saving for Bladeblitz.

Edit: :doh: Missed the pun.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Masamune relic machine event!!

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Mingus Dew posted:

what's a good level to be at to attempt the rest of the dungeon?

I found the rest of the dungeon went smooth as silk with most of my party around 26-27 with one at 22.

The bigger keys were having Thundara available and honed once on Rydia, unhoned Jump on Kain and Light Rod on Rydia/Light Staff on the main character. I ran it with Cloud/Kain/Tidus/Rydia/Main Character. Oh and you want a few small skills like Boost for Tidus to use on Kain and Protect to help keep Rydia upright.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Meh that doesn't look bad at all. If all you care about is unlocking Aerith and you can auto battle the normal mode you'll be done in 5.5 days on average assuming you use up eight hours worth of stamina a day. (So playing four times a day) If any of those days are ones where you're off work and can check your phone every couple hours it'd go even faster.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Well you won't be getting all of that stuff, might as well just let go of that idea. On Hard mode it averages 6.5 per stamina so assuming eight hours of sleep a night and no wasted stamina you're looking at roughly 2080 per day or 14,560 over the course of the event without using Mythril for stamina refreshes.

On the flipside most normal people will have little trouble unlocking the character and scooping all the free Mythril.

Edit: Misremembered and its 6 per stamina on Hard not 6.5, which pretty much reinforces the point anyway. Going nuts trying to get all the items is a quick way to go broke buying all those stamina refills.

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Apr 6, 2015

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Nephzinho posted:

If the $2.99 got you 11 rolls instead of 1 I would probably have dropped at least $10 on this. I don't understand who pays these prices.

$2.99 is actually pretty low for these sorts of games. Most similar games tend to charge $5 worth of IAP currency per roll.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Yeah the normal version is crap, but if you can burn all your abilities and clear the first round of the Hard mode it's so worth it. Just finished a round that netted two 3* orbs and four 2* orbs. More typical would be one 3* and 2-3 2*.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

triplexpac posted:

I've come to realize that people like you and me are not the intended audience for these games. They charge their premium prices and make tons of money, they don't really care if us cheapskates spend money.

To compare, I play this terrible wrestling card game, and to get a random good card it's like $30 a pull. And depending on what level of card you get, you might need TWO matching ones to be good.

All of this is light weight compared to the true whales. I played a lovely Marvel themed Rage of Bahamut clone for a while and people were routinely buying and selling cards for as much as $1500+. In Guardian Cross it was commonplace for rare cards to sell for a few hundred dollars apiece. I even went through the hassle of cashing out when I quit and ended up with over $500 worth of PSN gift cards, Steam games and stuff from Amazon. People on the Marvel Puzzle Quest forums talk about spending several thousand dollars on currency in that game.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Hard mode is awesome.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Boozie posted:

Is there any point in saving mithril for a 'godfest'? I just hit 50 mithril and it's burning a hole in my pocket.

Hopefully you have better luck than I did. Caved and spent the 30 Mythril I had and got all 3*s. :sigh:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
People get weird ideas about this game based on the first 20 minutes of gameplay doing lowbie trash dungeons without boss fights.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Augus posted:

What did you do to piss off the RNG gods so much?

I'm at about 18 rolls with all 3*s except for two 4* axes. :suicide:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

MotU posted:

Around what level party (with a 3* gear spread) are the Hard Dailies fully doable safely?

It was easy to clear the first round in the low 30s for me. Now that most of my party is 39-40 I'm almost able to autobattle it. If I had 4* and 5* weapons I would be able to for sure.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Jibo posted:

Make him eat the eggs.

Death to Guy Fieri. :argh:

Just have him tag along for hard orb farming dailies and he'll catch up in time.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Tortolia posted:

Weird, this isn't working for me. As soon as the boss fades out I immediately pause, kill the app and load it back up but it puts me back at the world screen. I'm not letting it get to the completion screen.

Running iOS8 if that matters.

To clarify so you don't end up trying to time the loot drop and quit at the right time:

At the start of the boss battle put your phone into airplane mode. If you get the drop you want take it off airplane and proceed like normal. If you don't, force quit, reopen the app and flee the battle then repeat the boss stage all over.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
It's so weird going from a week of Hard dailies where I actually had to sorta pay attention to auto battling the whole Cecil event.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

PFlats posted:

It's weird Cecil can use hammers. He couldn't in 4, but he could use axes (which he can't here). He also could use bows and staves, which I guess I can understand pulling.

This annoys the crap out of me, mostly cause my 4* base weapons are two axes and a dagger. :argh:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Wow Antlion Elite was a total joke. Autobattled all the trash waves, probably could have auto battled the boss too. Just ignored the gimmick, forgot to bring an Ice Attack and beat the poo poo out of him with the usual double attacks, jump, thundara. The counter attacks were barely over 300dmg and he had like 15k HP. Total cakewalk.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
They really need to hurry up and start the next event with some sort of White Mage. Now that my team is in the 44-46 range the main character is really starting to show his limitations even with honed Curaga.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Schwartzcough posted:

I don't know how people have their teams up to the mid-40's. It's horribly slow to level people even in the high 20's, even when championing the Hard EXP daily.

Hard XP daily makes the levels fly by. One more day of it and I'd easily have Cloud/Sephiroth/Kain/Rydia and the main character all capped. Of course both Cecils, are level 1, Tifa is 12, Wakka is 14 and Tidus 24. My weapons selection is pretty limiting so there isn't much of a point to levelling some of them until I get something good from the relic machine. I do have a 4* dagger but it's firmly in the clutches of Sephiroth until I get a better option.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Schwartzcough posted:

Yours and my definition of "fly by" is different I think. It seems to take 5 clears of the hard EXP daily to get someone a level in the high 20s/low 30s, and at 10 Stamina a pop that's 2 1/2 hours per level.

I dunno, with enough stamina to rebuild every two hours it's pretty easy to get a ton of runs in. Every two hours is four runs. I empty my stamina when I wake up in the morning, on my first coffee break, at lunch, last coffee, after work then a couple times in the evening.

Plus that's not one level, it's five spread across multiple characters. You're effectively getting a full level worth of XP per run at that rate spread across your five party members.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Verisimillipede posted:

Looks like Aeris will be the next character, event begins tomorrow

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck yes. Can't wait to kick Tyro to the curb. This event is getting allllllllllll the stamina except maybe on Sunday. Gonna get a big pile of Mythril and a real WHM. :woop:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
lol this event. With boosted 48 Cloud and 46 Sephiroth it's autobattle city. Got my 4k for Aerith in seven minutes of my coffee break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

CaptainPsyko posted:

Aeris is great at healing, but holy hell is she useless on trash levels. Like, I knew it was going to be a damage downgrade from Tyro, but I went from having somebody that could do 250 damage to finish off a wounded target to plinking for 30 damage if I'm lucky.

Not sure if the extra healing firepower is worth carrying her at this point.

It really is once you hit higher levels. Tyro's Curaga with a Light Staff doesn't heal for nearly enough on targets in the mid 40s.

• Locked thread