Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
If I was Winston I would not go either. If you are there it means they will talk about your "off the field issues" probably 5 times more because they can keep the camera on you while they do it. A lot of this would be mitigated if he is actually the first pick, but say he drops to 5th, that is a solid hour they keep the camera on you and talk about your past. If you are not there they probably only do it once.

Hell, even if he goes first, if he is not there they can only show game film, which means they probably talk about his play more and his past less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

football fuckerman posted:

Kayfabe, n. Something you don't know how to keep

Gotta protect the business brother

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I can just imagine some of his teammates thinking "Oh, we signed a new lineman, here I'll follow him on twitter, see what he is about and OH MY JESUS WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS"

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Kazak_Hstan posted:

N: Josh Hamilton goes on a cocaine bender, faces no discipline.

V: the NFLPA is a poo poo union
I don't follow baseball, but didn't Hamilton tell his team he slipped up and did cocaine again? If he did not tell them, no one would have known, right? He didn't fail a drug test, get caught, get arrested, or anything, is this right?

Seems weird you would get in trouble for that, but Goodell would have sent him to Siberia, so who knows.

nrr posted:

andre the giant loving owned

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Also, in the NFL the players contracts are not guaranteed. The roster turnover is way higher. The nature of the game doesn't allow tanking either. In the NBA, there are no real repercussions to being lazy on defense. Oh no, I just let Jared Dudley blow by me...whoops. In the NFL, if you are half assing things you get flattened and probably hurt, or get someone else hurt. If the O-line is tanking, the QB gets killed by someone. In the NBA you lose 1 of 82 games. The NFL only has 16 games and close to every single person is playing for their contract in some way.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Palmer retired because he did not get traded. I'm still salty the media worshipped him for that but would blast about 95% of the league if they did the exact same thing.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I just went to ESPN and tried to find any news to post to stop this anime poo poo

quote:

Buffalo Bills wide receiver Sammy Watkins had offseason surgery in an area near his hip, sources told ESPN's Josina Anderson.

Watkins had the procedure done sometime before the Super Bowl for the injury that was suffered in a Week 13 win over the Cleveland Browns, according to sources. He had three catches for a season-low 11 yards in that game, but played every offensive snap.

umm,

I can't wait to see the horrible takes after her first blown call

quote:

Former Conference USA official Sarah Thomas is set to become the NFL's first female full-time official, The Baltimore Sun tweeted on Friday. An NFL spokesman would not confirm Thomas' hiring, saying that this year's roster of officials is not yet complete

lets see, anything else

quote:

If the Buccaneers, as expected, take quarterback Jameis Winston with the first overall pick in the draft, where does that leave Mike Glennon?

It may leave him somewhere other than Tampa Bay.

Glennon, the 2013 third-round pick who has started 18 games in two seasons, will be available for any team that wants him after the Bucs draft Winston, according to Pat Yasinskas of ESPN.

Some team may want him. Although Glennon hasn’t been great in Tampa Bay, he has shown promise. His career stats — a 58.8 percent completion rate, 29 touchdowns and 15 interceptions — are respectable for a young quarterback.

I feel like a few teams could do worse than getting Glennon to compete for the role. He has only ever been a part of that trashfire and never totally embarrassed himself.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

HappyHelmet posted:

I thought he was really bad actually? Like he should be a 2nd stringer on the Cardinals kinda bad. Any Bucs fans care to weigh in?

That isn't "really bad." If any team has ever demonstrated the value of a 2nd stringer who won't totally embarrass you it is the Cardinals. I am not saying he is Tom Brady, but you could do worse than having him in the mix.

Of course I only saw him play a couple of times so I could be way off base and he could be atrocious. But when teams are trotting out Josh McCown, Geno Smith, EJ Manual, Ryan Lindley, etc...well, I'd rather have Glennon.

Also, he was a third stringer starting for an 0-4 team the 5th week of his rookie season. Not exactly a stellar position to be in.

We can start a 4 page argument about Glennon for all I care if it stops the anime chat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Wait, what? They passed on Andre the Giant? What rear end in a top hat made that decision? That's one of the easiest no brainer topics I can think of.

The WWE won't give them tape access. They wanted to do a Monday Night Wars one also, but same story. The WWE controls pretty much every wrestling territory tape archive except Memphis and they don't share often.

ESPN did a lot for Wrestlemania this year so maybe they can work together on something. But I am not sure why the WWE would give up either of those documentaries to someone else when they make their own all the time. I am sure there would have to be a lot of promotion and coverage by ESPN in order for the WWE to let them make an Andre the Giant 30 for 30 (which I would watch 30 times)

• Locked thread