Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
This is the month of the draft, meaning the start of the regular season is only 55 months away. Here's a good link to get us going http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Bengals-reveal-NEW-logo-for-2015/bee575b1-a6cb-48b1-a5b6-e65be3939058

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Here have some news

quote:

Rob Housler - TE - Free Agent
Free agent TE Rob Housler will visit the Bengals Thursday.
The Bengals and Ravens are in talks with Housler, who is expected to sign with a team by the end of the week. Housler would be a No. 2 tight end in Cincinnati behind Tyler Eifert. The Browns and Falcons also remain in the mix.

and other news

quote:

Stefen Wisniewski - C - Free Agent
Free agent C Stefen Wisniewski visited with the Patriots this week.
Recovering from offseason shoulder surgery, Wisniewski has met with multiple teams but remains on the open market. He could have to settle for less than the $4M annually he's reportedly seeking. With Bryan Stork entrenched at center, Wisniewski would likely move to guard in New England. The Bucs, Seattle, and the Bears have also been linked to Wisniewski.
It's weird to me that Wiz is the best free agent at his position but he still hasn't signed

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Bort Bortles posted:

He posted his first so I was ready for mine to be locked right away, thanks for giving it a chance! :v:

I concede defeat...this time.

hugs

Intruder posted:

Hm those things both belong in the FA thread rap, you're not trying to bump your thread's profile here are you :cop:

Nevertheless, I think this is the thread we will go with. Sorry Bort, better luck next time

vvvv It's nice to have a little bit of dumb fun once in awhile like competing N/V threads, of course I wasn't going to let that go on for more than an hour or so :shobon:

i really don't know what you mean boss

loving lol

also i wanted to post that picture of the KC lineman from 3 or 4 years ago, Derek Lokey, but i couldn't remember his name until just now

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Intruder posted:

The Zybourne Quarterback

lol

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
everything the Browns have done to me the last 30 years would be forgiven if their social media person has a folder of reaction gifs for anyone who makes fun of the browns on line

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

NC-17 posted:

They're ready to post this after their 1st round pick.

Josh McCown sacked again

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

SlipUp posted:

Wouldn't really be a problem if those two franchises knew how to draft. :shrug:

*presses rewind on self* *presses play* That still doesn't explain why comp picks should exist

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Look folks, if RGIII and I agree on something, well, you know we're onto something here

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

evilweasel posted:

To be fair, the "not picking up the roster bonus" gimmick getting you a comp pick doesn't make a lot of sense, but on the other hand that so many teams seem to not use it is utterly baffling. They should go away, but it's baffling how some teams exploit it so well and others just don't bother. Everyone knew the Dolphins should have pulled the tag from Clay so they'd get a comp pick, but they didn't. That's not on the comp pick system, thats on the dolphins being idiots.

That the Patriots will get an extra 3rd because of the Revis rental though is just so loving absurd that although I love it I can't defend it.

Not all teams have the negotiating room that the patriots do. What free agent is going to agree to an additional year with a team option with the browns or buccaneers? The browns gave Alex Mack THREE years of player options to get him to sign

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

SunshineDanceParty posted:

To over explain, it looks like Marshall is talking to a watercooler. The reality is he's talking to a person just out of the camera. This has been on joke these forums for a very long time.

Kayfabe, n. Something you don't know how to keep

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

warcrimes posted:

Well then you might as well said I wish that dumbass TE special teamer should just have done his job.

I'll stick with our third round pick from last year, thanks.

e: don't get me wrong, I get what you're saying and obviously had Borland not quit that would be pretty drat exciting LB corp. I'm just too much in a 'every sperm draft pick is sacred' mindset to give up a third for one year of production. You also may still be in 'AJ Hawk shock'

It might also be a difference in where your two teams are. The Raiders are in Browns territory (in better shape, don't get me wrong) where they need to see several good years from their drafts in order to talk about the playoffs or the Super Bowl. That's why I don't think the Josh Gordon pick was worth it, for instance, because who gives a gently caress that he led the league in receiving that one year when the Browns were awful?

But if we were a play or two away, we might think a one-year rental would be worth it. I know if it would get the Browns into the Super Bowl, I'd trade the whole of next year's draft, and the year after that too.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
whoa cool http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25134056/report-nfl-to-hire-sarah-thomas-as-first-female-game-official

quote:

The NFL has hired its first female official, according to the Baltimore Sun's Aaron Wilson.

Sarah Thomas, who became the first female to officiate an NCAA football game in 2007, has previously been a finalist for the NFL job.

Thomas has been on the league's radar for seven years. NFL VP of officiating Dean Blandino said in 2013 that "She was in our pipeline for a while," but noted that making the leap to NFL official takes time for any prospective official.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Kawalimus posted:

So is getting a 4th round pick for a guy like Gino Gradkowski a common thing? How the hell does that happen? I wish you could do that for every guy on that guy's level. You could wind up getting an entire 4th round's worth of picks! :D

quote:

Broncos acquired C Gino Gradkowski and a 2016 fifth-round pick from the Ravens in exchange for a 2016 fourth-round pick.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

This one is better though.
I like the idea of looking at someone and just going "I need answer"

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

SA2K posted:

yeah it ruined my vegas trip thanks assholes

*SA2K from like two weeks ago appears* Sports teams shouldn't ruin your trip anywhere, life is too good to be ruined by silly things like sports

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Yeah, these days they look like your face now

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Detroit_Dogg posted:

The Steelers rule

Lol, i'm laughing at this actually haha

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

I guess what I'm trying to say is the platonic ideal of a football game is the Browns/Lions game where Matthew Stafford threw the game winning pass with a separated shoulder after a time out

That game owned really hard no matter the outcome of that pass too

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
dexter jackson. and you thought i was just an irony guy

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Dick Trickle loving shot himself lol

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Kalli posted:

Dick Wolf

Dick King

Dick Shiner

Dick Deer Hunter

Dick Vick

Dick Wood

All actual NFL Dicks

?????

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
welp time to pretend "Deer" is his middle name thank you and good night

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
jim harbaugh is....fucktarded???? :wow: :whoa:

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Me too. I was thinking of starting another one since for some reason i'm hooked on the fanspeak mock drafts this year

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Kalli posted:

Walked out and made fingerguns at every woman and child I passed, pretending they were just reaching for their terrorism buttons, pew pew.

smh savages

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

quote:

Fletcher Cox - DL - Eagles
NJ.com suggests the Eagles could use DE Fletcher Cox as trade bait in a Marcus Mariota deal.
If the Eagles are going to move up from No. 20 to the top-five, they'll likely have to surrender both picks and talented players. Cox, establishing himself as one of the game's best interior linemen, certainly fits the bill. He's also entering the final year of his contract and is playing the 3-4 end spot when his natural position is a 4-3 tackle.
Looking like the Titans could make out like Rams in this draft

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

Kudos to the NFL for driving home the fact that weed is not welcome in the league. Goodell did the game a great service by suspending Bell and I hope he makes an example of many more Steelers to come, like maybe lets go with Martavis Bryant next.

I do this cool thing now with Steelers players where I hear their name and I'm like 'yeah let's see this guy actually do something on the field before we praise him' then I devoutly ignore both Browns-Steelers games during the season then rinse and repeat

their next franchise QB is gonna have three rings before I know he can throw a football

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
i've never smoked weed

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Browns sign Rob Housler

Still want them to draft Maxx Williams if possible in the second round because, Maxx

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I know combine numbers don't mean much but those are good combine numbers

quote:

Browns replace Cameron with TE Rob Housler
Browns signed TE Rob Housler to a one-year contract.
It's a nice low-risk, high-upside addition for a team looking to replace Jordan Cameron with some weaponry. Back at the 2011 Combine, Housler ran a 4.55 with a 37-inch vertical at 6'5/248. He's been limited to just 105 catches in the four years since then and struggled badly with drops in 2013, but he was a terrible fit in Bruce Arians' TE-unfriendly scheme. Housler will have a much larger opportunity to capitalize on his athletic skill set in Cleveland, where there's no pass-catching tight end in front of him. He's been called a wideout in a tight end's body.
oh also Rotoworld being nice about a Browns decision is the new Madden cover, RIP Rob Housler's clean criminal record and knees or ankles

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
put em in skirts....hemp skirts

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

not to start a mock draft posting thing but here's my first time with this

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Manas let's go to Cleveland at Chicago, week 4 lmao

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Intruder posted:

I'd rather do that thing where you trade #7 and two future firsts for #1, trade #39 and two future seconds for #6, then trade #6 for #7 plus your two future firsts back

lol

warcrimes posted:

Dude, do the thing where you make a bunch of crazy trades and end up with 4 2nd-round and 3 3rd-round picks

I will but I'm also doing it straight up so that I can prepare myself for the worst irl outcomes. Breshad Perriman and P.J. whatever the drunk driving guy in the first, that kinda poo poo

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Wait did Cleveland and Detroit quit doing their annual game??

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Detroit_Dogg posted:

This is the first time since like 2000 they haven't played in the preseason. Wonder what happened, it was cool having them play eachother every year especially since I moved down here

well Google is no help

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

A Man and his dog posted:

CLE vs WSH to cap off the night....

:magical:

after plays the guys just stare into each others' eyes and shake their heads and go "Colt McCoy" in kind of a sad voice

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
When did Russell Wilson suffer a concussion??

quote:

Russell Wilson - QB - Seahawks
Russell Wilson said he has not closed the door on playing both football and baseball.
There are a lot of holes in this claim. First, Wilson doesn't look like a potential star in baseball. He hit .229 with five homers and 19 steals in 315 at-bats for the Rockies' Class A level in 2010-11. Second, playing quarterback in the NFL is a full-year job -- he can't pop in and out a la Bo Jackson or Deion Sanders. And finally, Wilson is in the middle of contract talks with the Seahawks and will likely emerge with a deal that guarantees him an unprecedented amount of money. The team is sure to include a clause that the face of their franchise can't seriously play baseball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

SA2K posted:

Yeah I get that part, I just don't know what purpose it serves

to prevent a defense from just heaving the puck down ice repeatedly without actually going on the attack or forming a breakout

• Locked thread