Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Because there are new regimes all the time, and at this rate the draft is such a crapshoot that having multiple picks in comp selections, especially 3 and 4s, really make the playing field uneven.

Comp picks never made sense to me, and poo poo like the Charles clay contract show why. He's not eligible for a comp pick bc we transition tagged him... Meaning we could have had him On our roster if we paid out the nose. Kinda like New England having the option on revis... But here we are. No fundamental difference, but the system is so flawed it helps only one of the two teams

To be fair, the "not picking up the roster bonus" gimmick getting you a comp pick doesn't make a lot of sense, but on the other hand that so many teams seem to not use it is utterly baffling. They should go away, but it's baffling how some teams exploit it so well and others just don't bother. Everyone knew the Dolphins should have pulled the tag from Clay so they'd get a comp pick, but they didn't. That's not on the comp pick system, thats on the dolphins being idiots.

That the Patriots will get an extra 3rd because of the Revis rental though is just so loving absurd that although I love it I can't defend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

WHOOPS posted:

Is it even a guarantee Revis is going to net a comp pick? I know OTC thinks they will but there's not a ton of history around declined team options and there's no documentation on exactly how comps are awarded, correct?

It's not guaranteed, but I believe they found a specific case of a declined team option netting a comp pick. I think it's public who a comp pick is associated with.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

next you jerks are going to make fleecing idiot teams out of their draft picks with hilariously one-sided trades illegal :argh:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

football fuckerman posted:

Not all teams have the negotiating room that the patriots do. What free agent is going to agree to an additional year with a team option with the browns or buccaneers? The browns gave Alex Mack THREE years of player options to get him to sign

Just make the team option a billion dollars or something like the Revis one where everyone knows it's not going to happen. It's not a real year, the team tacks it on so they get a free pick and the player gets an extra 10k or something, plus bragging rights about how valuable his contract is.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Apparently yanking the tag would have gotten them some grief from the league or the union or some poo poo. You can't yank the tag after you assign it just bc you think someone else is taking your dude.

Trust me I was calling for it the whole time.

That makes more sense, thanks.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kalli posted:

Patriots restructured Jerod Mayo, goes from $7m salary this year to $4m guaranteed, with playtime incentives that can raise it to 6, and replaced the last two years of his deal with option years.

Well that's handy, means they get a comp pick when he's cut next year :v:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ehud posted:

@JeffDarlington: President Obama to the Patriots: "I usually tell jokes at these things -- but I was worried 11 of 12 of them would fall flat."

:owned:

hahaha thats amazing

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Raku posted:

Just realized I would vote for President Bellichick so fast my arm would fall off

we've decided alabama is past its prime and have traded it to Russia for some siberian territory we view as a good developmental prospect

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kalli posted:

Gronk just said that he thinks Obama was drunk when he said that.

No really, he did.

most people Obama's size who make jokes at Gronk's expense to his face probably are :v:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I weigh 600 lbs and post on the internet with a wand that I use to peck at a keyboard

the fingers you have used to type are too fat

to obtain a special typing wand, please mash the keypad with your palm now

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Chilichimp posted:

I'm not sure Bradford understand what good bargaining position is.

No, he does, and he's making an intelligent move there. He is willing to accept a less pay to play in Philly (presumably because he thinks he'll do well there, extend his career, etc) but he's not willing to take that discount with the risk he gets shuffled off to some QB graveyard like the Browns. If he's going to get traded to one of those teams, he will demand considerably more money, or he'll play out his contract and go somewhere he'd rather play in free agency. Makes perfect sense to me.

Chilichimp posted:

I mean, he has no bargaining power in his relationship with Philly. If you're not a team player, you'll get cut/traded, that's the goddamn Chip way.

He has teams willing to trade a first for him, so getting cut isn't a problem for him: he'll get to negotiate a deal as a sought-after free agent. If he does get traded, he has only a year on his contract so the team trading for him will have to negotiate an extension with him as part of the trade, giving him additional leverage. Getting cut or traded isn't a problem for a guy who is in demand and has only one year on his contract.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

<_<

Hasn't every major tampering charge by teams in the recent past resulted in the swap of a mid to late round pick at the very least?

My guess is the investigation found no hint of anything but the dumb statement by Woody, making this a dumb statement that slipped out tampering instead of major tampering. Still requires punishment, because his statement was quite clearly tampering according to the rules, but there wasn't anything serious here.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

No Butt Stuff posted:

so as a chiefs fan, when i turn 30 next year, do i have to commit hari kari too?

you don't have to, but it's encouraged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Big Jesus posted:

Could've been worse...

That was just a poorly coded twitter bot getting caught in one of thousands of autotweets, the browns actually picked a spambot as their one and only winner - something you'd think a human would be involved in.

• Locked thread