Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
Since our last thread died and is long buried I figured we could start a new thread. We're one of the only major cities that doesn't do goon meets. Its likely because we all know goons are universally terrible, but it would be nice to occasionally have a ride, or meet up somewhere for a blabber. :downswords: Lets post some events, and maybe grab a beer/food sometime in the near future. It will give us an excuse to leave our goon lairs, bake our soft goon outer layer, and experience meeting new people to remind ourselves leaving mom's basement was a bad idea to begin with and we won't be making that mistake again.

First off I would like to start with a roll call for Austin goons, and fellow goons coming to Moto GP.

State what you ride, or would like to ride, and if you're going to the race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009
I'd be glad to meet or the like some time, I live in up in Pflugerville at the moment but gently caress it, have biek will travel. Bike currently is a Honda CB500, rather like it but the lack of wind protection is getting tiring on the highways.
I'd like to make it to the race but am yet to get a ticket and just started a new job so doubt I can do all three days, if there are any saturday or sunday only plans I might be able to scrape the funds up for it.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
I'm hitting up Sunday race day only. I didn't want to take the time off of work for all three days, but didn't want to miss the race after last weekend.

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009
IS there any sort of deal floating about for sunday only/ what section are you in?

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

DrakIris posted:

IS there any sort of deal floating about for sunday only/ what section are you in?

I'm sitting in the sitting in GA with the rest of the poors. Some other goons I have heard were going to be in the turn 15 zone.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Man, ROT Rally, good times.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand
If anyone is interested, can make the whole weekend, and doesn't already have tickets to the races I'm doing track marshal duty and have a weekend guest pass to give away to some lucky sob.

Includes giant on-track parade lap on friday night if you ride in!

PM me for fun and prizes.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

I'll be there all weekend. I'm in Round Rock and ride a Suzuki SV1000. I'd be down for weekend rides sometime, too. I just moved here at the end of last summer, and would love to know where the best places to ride are.

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009

dreggory posted:

If anyone is interested, can make the whole weekend, and doesn't already have tickets to the races I'm doing track marshal duty and have a weekend guest pass to give away to some lucky sob.

Includes giant on-track parade lap on friday night if you ride in!

PM me for fun and prizes.

^ PM'd, I'd have to ask for friday off but I'm fairly sure I could get it.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Weather is looking pretty poo poo for the races. Weather.com can't decide if it's just going to piss rain or go full thunderstorms.

I'm coming down from Dallas and it might be in my car - which sucks - but gently caress riding 3 hours in the rain.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
I'm still down to go to the race if it rains. I just might not be riding my bike down which is a bummer.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Same here. Rain racing is exciting!

DogsCantBudget
Jul 8, 2013
Having been both days so far...its awesome. Marquez destroying the track lap record was so ridiculously worth it

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
Oh hey a new central Texas/Austin thread hi. San Marcos representing.

I had every intention on going to race day today but alas losing my job kinda ruined that plan :v: racing in the rain seems like it'd be awesome to watch though.

With it being Spring anyone planning on rolling through the hill country proper and looking at all the pretty views any time soon?

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Yeah, qualifying was awesome. Sorry about the job! I'd love to take a ride through hill country sometime soonish.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
A few of us Dallas goons plan to check out the twisted sisters sometime soon, before it gets unbearable.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

I'm pretty new to the area, I'd love for somebody to show me the best riding roads.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

ArbitraryTA posted:

Oh hey a new central Texas/Austin thread hi. San Marcos representing.

I had every intention on going to race day today but alas losing my job kinda ruined that plan :v: racing in the rain seems like it'd be awesome to watch though.

With it being Spring anyone planning on rolling through the hill country proper and looking at all the pretty views any time soon?

I go occasionally solo, but I'm by no means an expert on roads around here. We can go for a stroll. Lets just avoid 2222 because people keep dying on it.

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009
I'd love to get in on something like that.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007

Minkee posted:

Lets just avoid 2222 because people keep dying on it.

Wait, what? That lime creek/2222 loop? Or just 2222 in general?

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

You guys/gals up for going this weekend? I'm available either Saturday and Sunday.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
Assuming the weather is permitting and I can get the spark plugs swapped + the spark plugs turn out to be the only problem with my SV I'd be down.

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.
Just bought another bike (haven't ridden since I moved to Austin a couple of years ago). Where are some good rides around here? I'm guessing Liberty Hill/Marble Falls are pretty nice, any well-known loops?

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

dreggory posted:

Wait, what? That lime creek/2222 loop? Or just 2222 in general?

Just 2222 in general. People keep dying on it. I will ride it once in a while, but I usually will make an effort to take any other road around it after dodging assholes in SUVs on their cell phones still.

predictive posted:

Just bought another bike (haven't ridden since I moved to Austin a couple of years ago). Where are some good rides around here? I'm guessing Liberty Hill/Marble Falls are pretty nice, any well-known loops?

Spicewood springs road is a cool ride, Lime creek Rd, and just about anything west of Austin is a good time.

The Hippie Hollow Horror is going to probably be my next longer ride coming up http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/550/Routes/Hippie-Hollow-Horror.html

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011

predictive posted:

Roll down to San Marcos and hit Ranch Road 12 going towards Wimberley then head Westward and roll through Devil's Backbone.

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.
Thanks for the tips! Marking the map.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
I rolled Spicewood springs today till I ended up somewhere lovely (pflugerville). Then said hi to some cows and then turned back home. Anyone know some cool old cemeteries or cool podunk rear end towns around here? I'm on a search for old Texas towns or better yet ghost towns.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011

Minkee posted:

I rolled Spicewood springs today till I ended up somewhere lovely (pflugerville). Then said hi to some cows and then turned back home. Anyone know some cool old cemeteries or cool podunk rear end towns around here? I'm on a search for old Texas towns or better yet ghost towns.

Check out Poteet south of San Antonio if you just want an old town.

Also if anyone wants to check it out, there's Riley's Tavern in Hunter, Texas. It was the first tavern to open after Prohibition ended in Texas and it's a great stop for a rest if you're rolling through. Also happens to be on Hunter road which I describe as "The pretty way to get to New Braunfels."

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.

Minkee posted:

There's a weird tourist-trap 'Ghost Town' on the road where Austin Rifle Club is. Not really sure what the deal is, other than I see RVs and such parked there pretty frequently.

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009

Minkee posted:

Pflugerville is pretty lovely, the cows are decent though :V

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007

Minkee posted:

Nothing shows up on the map, but there's the remnants of an old town (complete with general store and ancient gas station) right at this intersection: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Aus...531384e!1m0!3e0

That's just the route I've always taken so there may be more ride-friendly detours, but 95 between elgin and taylor is nice with some long sweeping curves and not much traffic with plenty of room to go fast. Mostly farm country out that way. Bonus points if you can spot the happiest water tower in texas.

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.
Lime Creek Road was fun today. Probably gonna ride it or Spicewood Springs tomorrow. Anytime anyone wants to ride, lemme know (I'm super slow, take this into account).

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009
I might be down for something this weekend, weather looks good for it. Sunday would be better than Saturday for me but I might be able to force Saturday to be flexible.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

I'm down if we head out in the morning. I'm planning on having friends over in the afternoon. Saturday would work better for me, I don't have any plans then.

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.
I'm thinking about doing a weekend camping trip to Big Bend in the next few weeks if anyone's interested. Going through Marble Falls, Fredericksburg and 90 along the Mexico border looks like a nice ride. Anyone else have a better route there?

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.
Just rode 1431 to Marble Falls and back; it was good fun. I'll have to go back to try that Blue Bonnet Cafe.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

predictive posted:

Just rode 1431 to Marble Falls and back; it was good fun. I'll have to go back to try that Blue Bonnet Cafe.

The pie is a fun reason to stop. I haven't been out there in almost a year.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Austin is gone, close thread.

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009
It's true, the survivors struggle to secure boats, fuel and food. Waste tainted water has washed all else away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
I live on a hill. I will be rescuing all your motorcycle via boat soon and then hording them in my lair.

Is everyone ready finally for riding season? It looks like we have a clear week for once.

• Locked thread