Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Tujague posted:

When Leonard Nimoy died my mom told me that she had a crush on Spock when she was young and she had a far-away look in her eyes

It creeped me the gently caress out

So then I was like, gently caress you Leonard Nimoy stay away from my mom

she getting that ghost cock now bro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

Fetus Tree posted:

enterprise was a good show imo

im watching the cowboy world episode now, its p. great

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

cheerfullydrab posted:

Have you ever noticed the number 1701 in your daily life, and then felt like a star trek nerd? Like, that number has just some how come up, and then you recognized it because of the imaginary spaceship franchise?

I'd rock this license plate:

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

theres a couple episodes of enterprise that suck, mainly the ones about hoshi

mayweather episodes are second from the bottom

episodes about phlox are the best, though

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Fetus Tree posted:

no

im p sure that episode is season 7 and he was only in the penultimate episode iirc

wesley showed up for a couple guest spots after he left the show

one was the episode where he hooked up w/ ashley judd

the other was that episode w/ the alternate enterprises and yeah he was the tactical officer that inadvertently destroyed the last remnant of that universe's federation

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Tujague posted:

When Leonard Nimoy died my mom told me that she had a crush on Spock when she was young and she had a far-away look in her eyes

It creeped me the gently caress out

So then I was like, gently caress you Leonard Nimoy stay away from my mom

dude spock was a big hit with the girls back then

i mean he was more popular overall but isaac asimov literally wrote a whole article trying to puzzle out why his daughter was so in love with mr spock

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

gnarlyhotep posted:

she getting that ghost cock now bro

no that's dr crusher

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

im pooping! posted:

theres a couple episodes of enterprise that suck
similarly,

hitler was responsible for some deaths

the atom bomb was rather powerful

your mom is kinda fat

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
actually wesley was in parallels, my b.

however, in season 5,6,7 he was in a combined 3 episodes

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i mean he was more popular overall but isaac asimov literally wrote a whole article trying to puzzle out why his daughter was so in love with mr spock

Back then women thought emotionally aloof men were soulful and led a rich inner life. Like a moody poet who keeps to himself or something but writes about rain and leaves falling and the bitter taste of regret.

Now everyone knows better.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Lowen SoDium posted:

I liked 7 of 9's big titties.

her tits were good but her rear end is underrated. theres a scene where she sashays out of a room and omg

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Ok realpost ok voyager and enterprise suck because if you pick a random sample episode or three they will be lovely or two out of three will be lovely, and likely at least one will be extremely, egregiously lovely

Nothing can save them from that and it's not true of DS9 and probably not true of TNG.

If you don't believe me get some dice or something out and try it yourself

ok realpost over

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

The Mad Archivist posted:

counterpoint, they can use it to show that the only place communism works is in fiction :colbert:

edit: also, DS9 goes about deconstructing the whole thing as well

no, it studies it, not deconstructs it. the two have very different meanings and this is one of the most abused words on the internet and ive been sent back in time to correct it every time i see it.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Tujague posted:

Ok realpost ok voyager and enterprise suck because if you pick a random sample episode or three they will be lovely or two out of three will be lovely, and likely at least one will be extremely, egregiously lovely

Nothing can save them from that and it's not true of DS9 and probably not true of TNG.

ok realpost over

a final unity

i really liked taht game

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Tujague posted:

ok realpost over

if you limit enterprise to season 4 there's only a 1/22 chance of getting a poo poo ep.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Those girls in that Bilbo Baggins music video looked pretty 60's hot.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

opus111 posted:

if you limit enterprise to season 4 there's only a 1/22 chance of getting a poo poo ep.

i liked the finale

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

opus111 posted:

compelling point you douchegasket

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Sir John Feelgood posted:

Star wars is for dumb people who cravenly demand action and excitement. Star trek is for smart people who like to ruminate on moral quandaries and other philosophical things.

Then the TNG movies and the SW prequels switched that around

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Ivor Biggun posted:

Then the TNG movies and the SW prequels switched that around

there is nothing smart about the SW prequels.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Lowen SoDium posted:

there is nothing smart about the SW prequels.

They are really boring and ramble a lot about the sort of things a teenager who wants to write sci-fi one day would be into. Y'know, politics but with aliens, or racism but against aliens (who actually are all rapists and murderers because that's how they were written but pointing it out makes a character bad because suddenly they're a parallel for a real world ethnic group instead of just space monsters), or other [real world human issue] but with aliens to make it easier. Or literal magic except with some technobabble to cover up that it's magic.

So it's not really smart but that's exactly the same stuff that makes people think Star Trek is smart.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

They are really boring and ramble a lot about the sort of things a teenager who wants to write sci-fi one day would be into. Y'know, politics but with aliens, or racism but against aliens (who actually are all rapists and murderers because that's how they were written but pointing it out makes a character bad because suddenly they're a parallel for a real world ethnic group instead of just space monsters), or other [real world human issue] but with aliens to make it easier. Or literal magic except with some technobabble to cover up that it's magic.

So it's not really smart but that's exactly the same stuff that makes people think Star Trek is smart.

You write as if you think that scifi about serious issues is automatically bad scifi, which means you need to read The Dispossessed and The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin. Like right now.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

cheerfullydrab posted:

You write as if you think that scifi about serious issues is automatically bad scifi, which means you need to read The Dispossessed and The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin. Like right now.

Oh you mean I need to read two books that are on my bookshelf and I read before???

Lol if you think Star Trek is even remotely on that level or even similar.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
Trying to compare Star Trek to Ursula K. LeGuin is like comparing a kid's fingerpainting to Starry Night because "Well they both have bright colors and swirls I don't see the difference, it's about the same stuff really".

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Seven of Nine looks like a gender swapped Conan O'Brien

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
they both get nerds to serious post in gbs though so they have my vote

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
Star Trek is not real sci-fi and is no different than Star Wars.

Just enjoy your dumb space opera about action heroes in space, stop thinking the technobattle means it's smart.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
anyone remember being younger and thinking how awesome the matrix sequels would be? thinking "man [this] and [this] might be [why] and [why]" and then everything they did and explained turned out to be pure poo poo and too tryhard deep and philosophical like anyone cared compared to even what a stupid teenager thought might be cool sequels

point is star trek sucks and i've seen every episode

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

Just enjoy your dumb space opera about action heroes in space, stop thinking the technobattle means it's smart.

it's soft sci-fi space opera yeah and pretty cheap but no one reads books. good hard sci-fi space opera = peter f hamilton

also I did like Full Circle, pretty much the only half decent star trek book maybe for a star trek nerd

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
animatrix was cool though no complaints

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Iain M phaserBanks

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Oh you mean I need to read two books that are on my bookshelf and I read before???

Lol if you think Star Trek is even remotely on that level or even similar.

It's not in any way on the same level. I just thought you were being dismissive of the idea that science fiction can actually address real issues, and I was saying those two books prove that such a thing isn't true. I'm sorry!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I've noticed one common phenomenon among many people who like Star Trek. Not big fans who go to conventions, but people who will put on TNG episodes to help them go to sleep: they saw it when they were young. They were born in the early-late 80's and they watched TNG as young children, then VOY and DS9 when they got up into middle school age.

DoomLazer
Jun 1, 2011
Any DS9 episode that focuses on Miles O'Brian is complete garbage.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

List of good Science Fiction books:
Arthur C. Clarke, 2001 a space odyssey
Buzz Aldrin, Encounter with Tiber

Note that TV Series and almost all movies don't count.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

cheerfullydrab posted:

I've noticed one common phenomenon among many people who like Star Trek. Not big fans who go to conventions, but people who will put on TNG episodes to help them go to sleep: they saw it when they were young. They were born in the early-late 80's and they watched TNG as young children, then VOY and DS9 when they got up into middle school age.

yes

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
That episode where quark got a sex change and was gonna gently caress that rapey business guy to save his dad's job

Premeditated Toast
Apr 24, 2008

Same as it ever was.

cheerfullydrab posted:

It's true, the D's Engine is very relaxing, almost like being back in the womb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNBA2U-L8dc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPoqNeR3_UA

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

its because its relaxing i watched a lot of knight rider doesnt mean i put on the sound of a trans-am gunning its engine to help me sleep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
i love the d

• Locked thread