Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

The first video was kind of painful when you run around/over an item, leave it alone and only notice it after you see it again by chance. I'll keep watching, can't wait to see you get to the boss, especially after that gif.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

slowbeef posted:

I get better in the next 4 videos!

Having watched a few more videos, I agree, but I'm still feeling good.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
I think the only way to make the Bloodborne loading times better before this patch, I've heard, is if you put a SSD in your PS4. Then it reduces them by about 25%.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Just watched the first video and now that you've mentioned it the title does look like Bloodborn:v:. Now I'll never be able to unsee it.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

So glad you posted this on April 2 because at first I thought it was an April fool's prank. What that prank would entail I'm not sure, perhaps a bait and switch lets play of a pokemon hentai dating sim or something.

EDIT-Just finished the first video. My off the wall random association is that the "time for seduction" message next to the ostentatious tophat is someone riffing on that PUA guy (Magic? Midnight?) who was famous for wearing similar hats to cover up his receding hairline and lumpy head shape.

EDIT EDIT-I request you refer to the 'joy' gesture as 'the platoon' from now on.

Scaramouche fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Apr 3, 2015

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

shinmai posted:

This was my favorite bit in the last update. I love the enemy design in this game so far.

I love this gif.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Someone use magic to make that slowbeef's avatar, please.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
We recorded about 1hr 20 min last night, so I've got that to edit. It was all progress too, so maybe 2-3 videos out of it? I also recorded some supplemental material...

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
Did you figure yet where your stash (where your overflow items go when you loot them. For example: blood vials/bullets when you're capped) is?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Sormus posted:

Did you figure yet where your stash (where your overflow items go when you loot them. For example: blood vials/bullets when you're capped) is?

Is there a point to using the stash?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Kurtofan posted:

If you run out of stuff and don't want to farm up new stuff?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
But they automatically replenish, don't they? At least bullets and vials do.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

It'll automatically replenish your vials and bullets. Stuff like molotovs and antidotes you need to replenish yourself.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
These sewers follow and meet Yharnam OSHA regulations. YOSHA regulations. We call them YOSHA.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Gologle posted:

These sewers follow and meet Yharnam OSHA regulations. YOSHA regulations. We call them YOSHA.
Oh YOSHA.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

Kurtofan posted:

Stash is mostly just for overflow. You need to manually replenish throwables.

shinmai
Oct 9, 2007

CHK Instruction

JT Jag posted:

Oh YOSHA.

And to think I was worried Bloodborne wouldn't have it's own "Praise the Sun". I eagerly await the introduction of Bloodborne's Siegmeyer. Bloodmeyer, if you will.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Wiseblood posted:

It'll automatically replenish your vials and bullets. Stuff like molotovs and antidotes you need to replenish yourself.

Good thing to learn after finishing the game :v:

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
:siren::siren::siren: NEW UPDATE :siren::siren::siren:

Bloodborne Episode 6: New Weapon And Yes We Are Keeping That

(New enemies, too!)

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!
Ooh, I can only hope what that new weapon might be.

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.
Yay, I was hoping you wouldn't miss that weapon. It's a nifty one.

cardinal direction
Feb 20, 2011

This shit is bananas
I feel the same about the threaded cane. The whip is really just too slow for my tastes while the cane is faster but still has a pretty good and wide arc to its swings. I don't know if I'd call it the "best" of the starting weapons but it's hard to beat quicker attacks when it comes to combat in this game. The weapon that's picked up in the video kind of strikes me as a straight upgrade of one of the other starting weapons, but I've never actually used it more than playing with it when I got it. I like the look of the saw weapons, they just sort of fit the game's aesthetic where the cane doesn't as much. Maybe that's just due to all of the promotional material.

I'm sure it's probably been discovered by now but transforming your weapon during a combo results in an attack that does a bit higher damage, but I don't know if it's worth the trade-off when you have the more consistent string with R1 and the transformation is sort of clunky. It looks cool and feels pretty nice when you string it all together though. Some transformation attacks have a really wide arc which is great for taking care of a lot of enemies at once but eh.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Oh good, you got that weapon. You nearly missed it when you were first in the rafters and then you fell down onto the other side and didn't go back for it that video so I was concerned you forgot about it. If you start with the Saw Cleaver like I did then it's sort of a disappointing find since it's barely different other than having a bit more range.

I'm glad somebody else finds the Crows cute though. I thought they were adorable and I felt really bad about killing them. Until they started jumping on me from various rafters.

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

The same great taste with none of the chewing!
In an odd way your aimlessness doubles up as thoroughness, as you seem to accidentally stumble on everything.

There are also no weight limits or fat-rolling In the game for armour, weapons or items. So go nuts and equip whatever you want, bloodborne don't care.

I can also explain how multiplayer and PVP actually works, if you're curious. It doesn't spoil anything, and the short answer is use the bell, but in case you want to blunder through it yourself blind, and i can imagine some situations that would be funny, here is how it goes:

You use the summoning bell to put out a matchmaking request, and it costs 1 insight, which you get from seeing bosses or using Mad Mans Knowledge. While the request is active, the game will listen for a nearby bell from another player, this bell could be a co-op request OR a PVP request. Whichever it finds first. So attempting to summon also has a risk of having your game invaded. If you're not ringing your summon bell you're safe for the most part against invaders.

And now pro-multiplayer mechanics knowledge, so maybe beef shouldn't read it.

The game has a 'bell ringer' who actually appears in the world and you can stop it searching for other bells (say, if you already have your co-op partner and don't want to be invaded) by killing her. There's an item that also stops it searching, but I assume this ends your current co-op too, while killing the bell-ringer just stops further searching. I've never found her, I think she's in set spots depending on your location but they must be quite obscure.

And that's how it works I'm Bloodborne, I really prefer it this way.

BottledBacon fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Apr 4, 2015

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
I think what I've seen so far suggests a better foundation for FROM's kind of game, but the one thing I wonder about is how boss encounters are no longer prefixed by fog gates -- now, they only gain one after they've already been encountered.

I suppose it fits better with the game in terms of theme, wanting to be more of a horror game than the usual medieval fantasy, but I lament the possible loss of the strategic element in play.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Hey, I also like LOOM. Small world!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Morroque posted:

I think what I've seen so far suggests a better foundation for FROM's kind of game, but the one thing I wonder about is how boss encounters are no longer prefixed by fog gates -- now, they only gain one after they've already been encountered.
Some bosses in DS worked this way. Seath, for example.

Although they'd usually get a cutscene the first time you met them instead of just jumping out like that. Off the top of my head I can't think of any that didn't have fog doors or cutscene.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Maybe it's just that fight? Since it seemed like you could only level up once you'd gained an Insight and that you gained one from seeing the boss, maybe the point of that guy is to be something you're likely to stumble on about when you start really feeling like you might want to be able to level up in order to trigger the ability to do so. In that case it would be counterproductive for him to have a fog gate because if you don't know any better of course you're not going to go after a boss sight unseen while you're still trying to figure out how the hell you can even level up.

I also have to say this is REALLY making me want to get a PS4 so I can give it a whirl.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Sindai posted:

Some bosses in DS worked this way. Seath, for example.

Although they'd usually get a cutscene the first time you met them instead of just jumping out like that. Off the top of my head I can't think of any that didn't have fog doors or cutscene.

Asylum Demon and Stray Demon.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

That new weapon looks pretty rad. Also, the lighting in the game looks really good. I don't normally notice that in games but it really stands out in this game in a good way.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

If the games thread has tought me anything, it's that we'll have about 2000 hours of content before slowbeef beats the 2nd boss

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Morroque posted:

I suppose it fits better with the game in terms of theme, wanting to be more of a horror game than the usual medieval fantasy, but I lament the possible loss of the strategic element in play.

I imagine they did that so that it's slightly less obvious a boss is coming (still kind of obvious since boss arenas usually look fairly distinct, tho).

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
I mentioned this in the comments of a video, but there's an easy way to deal with the werewolves on the bridge if they're giving you too much trouble: you can just kite them back down the stairs of the house. They won't be able to pass through the door and they're more or less left at your mercy. Works for all werewolves and some larger enemies in the game. It's cheesing it, and honestly they're meant to teach you how to reliably visceral, but this might save you some grief (I know it did for me).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

You can also just lob molotovs. There's a reason the game gives you quite a few in the area before that part.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
TBH if you can avoid spending resources, you always should. Bosses last 2-3 attempts before you have to go farming for items, so the more you save early on, the more you spare your sanity later :/

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RealSovietBear posted:

TBH if you can avoid spending resources, you always should. Bosses last 2-3 attempts before you have to go farming for items, so the more you save early on, the more you spare your sanity later :/

Not really, that's dumb JRPG logic that leads to you never using good items. Use them when they're effective and when you need em.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space

Genocyber posted:

Not really, that's dumb JRPG logic that leads to you never using good items. Use them when they're effective and when you need em.

(Putting this in spoiler tags because I'm not sure if the advice goes too far for the thread's liking. No story spoilers.)

Yes, really. The game is really bad on farming later on and it's been a problem for many players from what I've read. I'm just saying if there is a way to remove something without spending items, he should, because then he'll miss those items when an obligatory enemy has, say, fire weakness or he's missing silver bullets for visceral attacks. Even if you use the store to replenish your stock, the blood echoes costs rack up very fast. I'm not saying "save this because there might be a bigger giant crab after this one", I'm saying "save this if there is a way of solving the encounter without spending items and it isn't risky."

RealSovietBear fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Apr 4, 2015

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.
Oh, speaking of things you missed - did you go back to the window with the red lamp that you saw when you opened the lever-based shortcut in video five?
It's one of the more interesting ones - as is the one next to your lamp, too. Gilbert gets a few new things to say as the game goes on.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
Like most enemies in most Souls games, you can also just straight up run past the werewolves to the boss pretty easily. In fact, in Bloodborne it's really easy to run past just about everything, probably more so then all of the previous Souls games. Although I think it might actually be on purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shinmai
Oct 9, 2007

CHK Instruction

slowbeef posted:

:siren::siren::siren: NEW UPDATE :siren::siren::siren:

slowbeef, you jerk! (I love this game)

• Locked thread