Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

shinmai posted:

slowbeef, you jerk! (I love this game)

Another great gif.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shinmai
Oct 9, 2007

CHK Instruction

Kurtofan posted:

Another great gif.

Thanks, I didn't plan on making one for every update, but then that happened. I love that hilarious slapstick fall animation so drat much.

I'm glad From didn't remove or revamp the ragdoll system for Bloodborne, because it's just hilarious to see that scrawny dude wading through massive corpses and sending them flying all over the place.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I don't want to be one of those dudes who complain about every single missed item, but at 4:23-ish in video 6, there seems to be a semi-cleverly hidden item inside the pillar. It may be something tasty, I dunno. But it's kinda well-hidden, which usually means good stuff in Souls games.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

shinmai posted:

slowbeef, you jerk! (I love this game)

I love you Shinmai.

Betus and I are loving this game too, so...

KozmoNaut posted:

I don't want to be one of those dudes who complain about every single missed item, but at 4:23-ish in video 6, there seems to be a semi-cleverly hidden item inside the pillar. It may be something tasty, I dunno. But it's kinda well-hidden, which usually means good stuff in Souls games.

Complain away!

Have an update where we find some more stuff.

:siren::siren::siren: New update :siren::siren::siren:

Update 7: New Threads, A New Man

Yagyumi
Aug 26, 2013

Right! It's bonkin' time! I loves a bit of bonkin'!
Jeez, the anatomy of the enemy types in this game make me want a CSI: Yharnam TV show!

Question: I'm not sure if this was mentioned already, but there doesn't seem to any encumberment mechanics, unlike the Souls series - does this imply that you can pretty much wear/carry anything you want?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That is one sweet hat.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Yagyumi posted:

Jeez, the anatomy of the enemy types in this game make me want a CSI: Yharnam TV show!

Question: I'm not sure if this was mentioned already, but there doesn't seem to any encumberment mechanics, unlike the Souls series - does this imply that you can pretty much wear/carry anything you want?

Yup!

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Oh hey, Slowbeef you probably won't run into the bug unless you're using rest mode but Bloodborne's enemy and boss AI start screwing up if the game has been running for about 12 hours. This includes leaving the ps4 in rest mode overnight. Rebooting the ps4 definitely fixes it. Closing and restarting the game should also fix it. It's a memory leak or something. People just started noticing the bug yesterday.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

havenwaters posted:

Oh hey, Slowbeef you probably won't run into the bug unless you're using rest mode but Bloodborne's enemy and boss AI start screwing up if the game has been running for about 12 hours. This includes leaving the ps4 in rest mode overnight. Rebooting the ps4 definitely fixes it. Closing and restarting the game should also fix it. It's a memory leak or something. People just started noticing the bug yesterday.

Thanks for the heads up.

I also know about a bug - apparently there's some woods that if you initiate multiplayer before getting a certain item, you lock yourself out of a boss. But it might've been fixed in a patch.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I hear it's been fixed in the patch, but I haven't tried it.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Kurtofan posted:

I hear it's been fixed in the patch.

And another bug! Apparently changes to your body shape in the character creator don't carry over to the game, so everyone is the default body type. (Faces work though)

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

slowbeef posted:

Thanks for the heads up.

I also know about a bug - apparently there's some woods that if you initiate multiplayer before getting a certain item, you lock yourself out of a boss. But it might've been fixed in a patch.

They issued an emergency patch for that bug a couple days ago. It also fixed the item dupe bug.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

slowbeef posted:

And another bug! Apparently changes to your body shape in the character creator don't carry over to the game, so everyone is the default body type. (Faces work though)

That explains the lack of burliness on Jack Slate.

On another topic, there's one little thing about the Regain System that I know, should I just tweet it to Diabetus or what's the policy on random mechanics?

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

TARDISman posted:

That explains the lack of burliness on Jack Slate.

On another topic, there's one little thing about the Regain System that I know, should I just tweet it to Diabetus or what's the policy on random mechanics?

Hmmm.

Okay, let me try it like this:

Is it a short term gameplay tip, like - and I'm just making part of this up:

"Hey, you can actually hit a dead opponent before it hits the ground. If you do, it counts toward regain." - Fine

Or is it something like:

"Using Regain affects what ending you get/how tough a boss is?" - Foul

Does that help?

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

slowbeef posted:

That explains why Waluigi is less lanky than I thought I made him.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

slowbeef posted:

Hmmm.

Okay, let me try it like this:

Is it a short term gameplay tip, like - and I'm just making part of this up:

"Hey, you can actually hit a dead opponent before it hits the ground. If you do, it counts toward regain." - Fine

Or is it something like:

"Using Regain affects what ending you get/how tough a boss is?" - Foul

Does that help?

Yeah, that about covers it. The former is actually what I was going to mention...

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

The same great taste with none of the chewing!
Oh, just a quick little note that you can skip through speech with the X button. So you don't need to listen to the doll talk about channeling souls blood echoes every time before leveling up.

The doll only updates her 'lore' at set progression points. Maybe check back with her occasionally if you think you've made a decent chunk of progress and see if she has anything new.

Talking of lore, find some time at the end of videos (maybe you've already done this with your 'extra footage' you mentioned) to read the item descriptions, as a lot of the lore of what's happening is on those.

BottledBacon fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 4, 2015

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
I've seen your Dark Souls playthrough and I am just saying that this is making me go all déjá vu up in here.

Not that this is a bad thing. :allears:

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Some good, non-spoiler tips:

-You missed an NPC who was in a window with a lantern by the gate that opened into the courtyard. Diabeetus even pointed the window out, but you didn't get close enough to it to get the talk prompt.

-If you go back to the clinic and up the stairs, there is another NPC that you can talk to through the locked door.

-Big bosses can be parried, but it works slightly differently. To parry them, deal damage to certain parts of their body, almost always the head, during certain times. The Cleric Beast has a second lock-on point on his head, so shoot a bullet at it during a couple of his combos until you get that sound and he'll stagger over. Plant yourself in front of him and press r1 to do a huge damage attack on him. The position can be finicky, but it's completely worth it and the game will expect you to know how to do this on later bosses.

-Bosses can also be staggered by doing a large amount of damage to them in a small window of time. You can't visceral attack them unless you hear the sound effect, but it will let you get a bunch of safe hits in on the boss.

-The "buy with insight" bath messengers will show up once you get a total of 10 insight at once. They will sell the items that let you co-op and invade people for insight, and also the boss armor sets.

Nanomashoes fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Apr 5, 2015

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!
The crow voices never fail to amuse me. A loving murder of Gilbert Gottfrieds.

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

Nanomashoes posted:

I'd say the second part of your first tip is exactly the kind of 'tip' slowbeef said wasn't allowed.

BottledBacon fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 5, 2015

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Some quick words on stats too:

For your character build I'd recommend picking two "offensive" stats and leveling them along with Vit and Endurance, and never touching the other two unless there's a minimum requirement you want to meet. Whether it's str/skill, str/arcane, skill/arcane, skill/bloodtinge, or strength/bloodtinge, there's a weapon for it. Now that I've thought about it, bloodtinge/arcane seems like it would be interesting as hell to try, but only if you already know the game.

STR and SKL are self-explanatory. Bloodtinge only affects the DAMAGE of guns, so you can still parry with them if you leave bloodtinge low.

Nanomashoes fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 5, 2015

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

BottledBacon posted:

I'd say the second part of your first tip is exactly the kind of 'tip' slowbeef said wasn't allowed.

Ok, I'll leave them at simply "you missed an NPC."

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

Edit: oh balls, slowbeef didn't post the update from YouTube yet. I'll delete this comment.

BottledBacon fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 5, 2015

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
Sorry, baby kept me from posting the update after the video went up. Anyhoo...

08. BOSS 1 REMATCH

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Nanomashoes posted:

-Big bosses can be parried, but it works slightly differently. To parry them, deal damage to certain parts of their body, almost always the head, during certain times. The Cleric Beast has a second lock-on point on his head, so shoot a bullet at it during a couple of his combos until you get that sound and he'll stagger over. Plant yourself in front of him and press r1 to do a huge damage attack on him. The position can be finicky, but it's completely worth it and the game will expect you to know how to do this on later bosses.

"It's not a spoiler, but here's a step by step guide on how to beat this boss entirely"

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Ometeotl posted:

"It's not a spoiler, but here's a step by step guide on how to beat this boss entirely"

"Here's how to play the game."

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ometeotl posted:

"Here's how the gun factors into boss fights"

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Those were both pretty cool fights. How are you liking the axe, and what's different about the blunderbuss?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

It is true that, if you know the mechanics of a video game, its first boss will be easier to defeat.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Night10194 posted:

Those were both pretty cool fights. How are you liking the axe, and what's different about the blunderbuss?

I think you'll find out!

Aw gently caress it. Axe makes the game feel a little more Souls-y; it's slower so you have to play more carefully and time your hits. But when it connects, it's really kinda great.

Blunderbuss? Honestly, not feeling it. Seems like it has wider range, but I haven't figured out a great way of using it.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

slowbeef posted:

I think you'll find out!

Aw gently caress it. Axe makes the game feel a little more Souls-y; it's slower so you have to play more carefully and time your hits. But when it connects, it's really kinda great.

Blunderbuss? Honestly, not feeling it. Seems like it has wider range, but I haven't figured out a great way of using it.

Blunderbuss is a bit more situational, if you're looking pulling off more sweet gun parries, then stick to the pistol. Personally I keep the both of them equipped and switch whenever I get bored.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Nanomashoes posted:

-The bath messengers will start selling an item under the "key" items tab (the second one) pretty soon. It costs 10000 blood souls, and is necessary to progress in the game. You have a good amount of time to save up for it, but you're going to need it after the third boss.

You can go thru the game fine without ever buying this 10,000 echos key. Buying it just means that you can get to some parts early, much like the forest emblem in Dark Souls 1 (though maybe not as likely to just get you killed over and over).

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
That outfit is giving me a serious Brotherhood of the Wolf vibe, so badass!
EDIT: I think Cleric Beast is really cool looking.

Dreadwroth fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Apr 5, 2015

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm pretty sure it's intentional, considering all the giant wolf monsters. :v:

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Gimbal lock posted:

You can go thru the game fine without ever buying this 10,000 echos key. Buying it just means that you can get to some parts early, much like the forest emblem in Dark Souls 1 (though maybe not as likely to just get you killed over and over).

Yeah, I just figured out how after posting that, but it's pretty hard to find.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Small Frozen Thing posted:

I'm pretty sure it's intentional, considering all the giant wolf monsters. :v:

Whatever are you talking about?
:haw:

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Nanomashoes posted:

Yeah, I just figured out how after posting that, but it's pretty hard to find.

Er, mind if I cut this line? I'm starting to feel like this is going into too specific of an area...

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
I mean on one hand there's all these like wolf things running about but then we had to fight a tentacle giant, which is far more worrying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

slowbeef posted:

Er, mind if I cut this line? I'm starting to feel like this is going into too specific of an area...

Yeah I'll edit that out. It's cool, it's just that the item is an early roadblock that people often miss, especially if they are talking about the game with a co-commentator and have a baby too.

• Locked thread