Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Whoa cool, that's a lot of territory. Someone should app a Driver. A Mariner!

Yeah, while the game is going to start in the central area, I figured having some places 'off over there' would be useful. No worries though, if the characters never leave the Jumble-Heap, that's fine.

Anyways, a question for the good? Doctor:

Doctor Emdey: So word on the docks is that some doublefuck has got Lightning Jack going about closing houses of healing with extreme prejudice. Your infirmary is the biggest one left on your side of the Bay, you worried he’s going to come after you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
This is it
Today's...the BIG day. :black101:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

:f5:

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone

PoultryGeist posted:

Anyways, a question for the good? Doctor:

Doctor Emdey: So word on the docks is that some doublefuck has got Lightning Jack going about closing houses of healing with extreme prejudice. Your infirmary is the biggest one left on your side of the Bay, you worried he’s going to come after you?

The more and more I learn the words of the trade, mostly from scavenged books and manuals and the like, the more I feel like there's a real power in what you call things. An infirmary is just a place for the infirm, it just so happens that Mrs. Emdey and her pair of assistants run said infirmary and happen to be medical professionals. We fix people then worry about them paying us or more often than not owing us a favor. A hospital seems a lot more transactional to me, payment for services rendered, meaning that it's a lot easier to rob philosophically speaking. You can walk into a business and blow away the guy who runs the place and make off with all the jingle, but a true 'house of healing' as you put it is a different beast.

I mean I like to think of it that way, but it also means that we don't exactly have a lot worth stealing kicking around besides drugs. And even then we don't have a whole lot of the fun ones, a guy like Lightning Jack isn't exactly a junkie looking to chillstab his way to sleep for the night. He's going to want a volume of loot. And by the way I've heard he vivisected his way through that other place's ER they must've really had some great stuff. Honestly this might mean I can get some of it second-hand once it works its way through the traders around the bay and beyond.

And who knows, murder's a violent business. One of these days you've got to catch a bullet even with supposed 'lightning reflexes' and it's nice to have at least one sawbones left alive in the general area. I'd overcharge him though that bastard.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
I know its a bit early, but:

:siren:Recruitment is Closed!:siren:

Now Luka Novak, JJ, Raven, Mr. Smith, and Doctor Emdey: its time to strap in, strap on, … just do whatever it is kids do with straps these days. ‘Cause summer has come to the Great Gold Bay, and Hell is coming with it.

(I got a crop of awesome apps for my first game, picking was tough. Thanks to everyone that applied, sorry I couldn’t run with you all)

Anywho, time to sort out Hx and if anyone is working with/for anyone else.

Also, JJ and Emdey should let me know where their workshop/infirmary is. Also also, if you mentioned a location in you app, feel free to let me know which district its in.

If all goes well, should have the game thread up by the end of the weekend

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

PoultryGeist posted:

I know its a bit early, but:

:siren:Recruitment is Closed!:siren:

Now Luka Novak, JJ, Raven, Mr. Smith, and Doctor Emdey: its time to strap in, strap on, … just do whatever it is kids do with straps these days. ‘Cause summer has come to the Great Gold Bay, and Hell is coming with it.

(I got a crop of awesome apps for my first game, picking was tough. Thanks to everyone that applied, sorry I couldn’t run with you all)

Anywho, time to sort out Hx and if anyone is working with/for anyone else.

Also, JJ and Emdey should let me know where their workshop/infirmary is. Also also, if you mentioned a location in you app, feel free to let me know which district its in.

If all goes well, should have the game thread up by the end of the weekend

Won't be able to do official hx until tonight, but I'm thinking overall that Luka is friends with raven and jj, has done a job for smith, and got patched up by emdee.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mr. Smith

Everyone: Write Hx-1. My secrets are mine alone.

Luka: I told you that you needed to find somewhere else to go with your crew after the...issues that emerged when you were supposed to be working at the Bridge for me. Instead, you stayed in my building. I told you not to. Nothing happened. Or did it? I write Hx+3.

Wombat: I see you have a brain in a jar. I see you have trouble figuring out its secrets. I see you have no idea that the expert lurks in the shadows. I see an interesting future. I write Hx+3.

Everyone else: I take what you tell me and write it +1.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Good luck dudes!

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Hx
You all are a bunch of strange dudes. I can dig it. I think Raven is the weirdest though. Seems like you got something to prove! I mean sure, we got the creepy dude. But his creepiness is just who he is. Same thing with the werewolf. Like, he just does his thing. Dr. Emdey is, like, a doctor. But it's us folks that want to keep pushing, even in this broken down world. It's us whose strange together. Raven gets +1 Hx

Everyone else -1 Hx. I'm an open book, not my fault if you can't read.

Mr Smith is the biggest potential problem. He's got all those secrets locked in his head, but he doesn't share. Just not polite.

Everyone else -1. Drop by sometime and show me something cool, then we'll talk.

On a more general note, I'll let Dr. Emdey decide what our relationship is. JJ could be a quasi apprentice, quasi competitor, even a quasi stranger.

The workshop is on the south edge of the Heap, underneath the ruins of a skyscraper. It fell over, but the basement is just fine.

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
So just to be clear, she doesn't go by "Dr. Emdey" so much as "Mrs. Doctor Emdey" or just Doctor or Emdey to her pals. As in her first name is Doctor due to apocalyptic grapevine shenanigans.

Doctor
Everyone takes Hx+1, I'm not exactly complicated and even then I'm usually pretty talkative.

Feel free to let me know if you don't like these outright or want to tweak them, gotta have at least one though.

JJ has been beside me and has seen everything I've seen, take Hx+2.
He may not be the most...professional or even educated medical technician but you can't argue with results and the ability to treat patients on the go. Not everyone can make it to the infirmary unfortunately.

Raven put a hand in when it mattered, and helped you save a life, take Hx+2.
"Antibiotics" is a legendary word around the bay. I see references to them in some of the old papers that they gave 'em out like candy, but these days they're maybe the rarest thing around. I can hand out opioids like candy, but someone get an infection and it's a real undertaking. One day I had a kid, can't have been more than ten, and just nothing was working on him and he was fading faster than I'd ever seen. Now we know it was Crimson Fever but back then he was just burning up and nonresponsive. It didn't help that his dad had a gun to RN's head until he was better. I'd heard of Luka Raven and put it to her straight: I need antibiotics, I need a lot of them, I need them within the hour. Thirty-four minutes later I had a handful of unlabeled bottles, must've been underwater since they were the same murky color as the bay, and Luka Raven had saved two lives. Hell, I'm still coasting on that supply to this day.

Despite my cheery demeanour it's natural that I don't get attached so don't take it personally when I take your Hx number and subtract one.

Bear Enthusiast fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 11, 2015

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
I am +1 to whatever you tell me, since I depend on clear relationships.

As always, happy to modify these on request.

Luka Novak
Luka! Let me tell you, no better guy - wolf? - to have on your side in a pinch. We were making a run across the bridge for Gozo, and apparently not everyone in the Bay is honest. Someone on the Order's side didn't stay bribed, and we ended up in a crossfire between them and the Uni. Who turns up to bail us out but Luka and his pack. I owe the man - wolf? - a drink. One of them once faced down dedicated violence to get you out of a fix. Hx+2.

JJ
J, Wombat, Fix-It, whatever the gently caress his name is. He's gotta learn talking a good game isn't enough, you've got to back it up. I always back it up. So I'm not particularly happy that the Zodiac he "repaired" for us sank in the Bay and left us swimming with the literal goddamn sharks, and then washing up on the beach without half our gear to deal with the two legged kind. One of them once let you down in a pinch and left you holding the bill. Hx-1.

Everyone Else
If there's anyone from hear to the Big Muddy that doesn't know my name by now, they're living under a rock. Hx+1.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Bear Enthusiast posted:

Raven put a hand in when it mattered, and helped you save a life, take Hx+2.
"Antibiotics" is a legendary word around the bay. I see references to them in some of the old papers that they gave 'em out like candy, but these days they're maybe the rarest thing around. I can hand out opioids like candy, but someone get an infection and it's a real undertaking. One day I had a kid, can't have been more than ten, and just nothing was working on him and he was fading faster than I'd ever seen. Now we know it was Crimson Fever but back then he was just burning up and nonresponsive. It didn't help that his dad had a gun to RN's head until he was better. I'd heard of Luka and put it to her straight: I need antibiotics, I need a lot of them, I need them within the hour. Thirty-four minutes later I had a handful of unlabeled bottles, must've been underwater since they were the same murky color as the bay, and Luka had saved two lives. Hell, I'm still coasting on that supply to this day.
I think you got some names mixed up here...

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Everyone: Hx+1, I'm not that complicated.

Raven has stood up to me, pack and all. Hx +1
Fact of life, nobody's really a 'friend' y'know? World's tough, gently caress'em. But this Raven, I like her. She's got spirit, don't take no poo poo from no one, and I can respect that.
When she first rolled into the heap, me'n her, we had us a disagreement over a found stash. She just stands there, looking me right in the eye, doesn't flinch, doesn't blink. She's not stupid, she knows the rep that regular old dumbshit werewolves have, and she knows I'm fuckin exponentially beyond even that, AND I have a heap of original recipe werewolves right behind me. Spine made of pure fuckin steel right there.
We've been the closest thing I can really call 'friends' ever since, she calls me in when she needs a bit of muscle or ultraviolence, and I cut her in if me and my fuckheads happen across anything with too many blinky lights might need a decent tech.

Everyone else: whatever number you tell me gets -1. By default, I don’t really care much about...y’know, people.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Hx is always the trickiest bit, so I went through and I think I have the results correct here, with who would highlight each of us as well.

So I get a highlight from Emdey.

And it looks like I highlight Luka, so:
Luka, what sets you apart from the other wolves isn't your strength, but your smarts. Are you sharp enough to hold on to your place at the front of pack?

Emdey <- Luka||Raven
JJ-2
Luka+0
Mr. Smith-2
Raven+0

JJ <- Emdey
Emdey+1
Luka+0
Mr. Smith+0
Raven-2

Luka <- Raven
Emdey+0
JJ-2
Mr. Smith-2
Raven+1

Mr. Smith <- Luka||JJ
Emdey+2
JJ+3
Luka+3
Raven+2

Raven <- Emdey
Emdey+3
JJ+2
Luka+2
Mr. Smith+0

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 11, 2015

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone

Comrade Gorbash posted:

I think you got some names mixed up here...

Whoops! Those should all be Raven, I got the two names mixed up before and it looks like I didn't change them all.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Excellent. I'll hand out the MC highlights once everyone has gotten their PC one.

Alsox3: Pre-session rolls should be done now, which I believe is Raven's Moonlighting and JJ's Bonefeel. Game rolls can be handled on Orokos.com with the campaign name 'GoldBay'.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
So Mr. Smith will pick either Luka or JJ to highlight the stat?

Bonefeel: 2d6+2 10

It's gonna be a good day.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Mr. Prokosch posted:

So Mr. Smith will pick either Luka or JJ to highlight the stat?

Bonefeel: 2d6+2 10

It's gonna be a good day.

Yes, in case of an Hx tie, the PC chooses.

Excellent roll to start things off. I may use it to drop you in with someone else to start, we'll see how the Moonlighting roll goes.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

If you liked that roll...

Got 2-juggling, so I'll work Deliveries and Technical Work.
Moonlighting: 2d6+2 13

That'll net 3-barter.

Also I swapped Raiding for Deliveries; with the way background, question answers, and Hx went, it seemed to make more sense.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mr. Smith

Wombat, take the highlight.

phone posting right now, will clean everything up tomorrow afternoon or Monday at the latest

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
Doctor

JJ tends to make things complicated. Not like "Complications" as in a lower GI bleed, but he just sorta makes things Weird sometimes y'know?

Raven is pretty Cool. What? She is! Just listen to any of her stories, come back here, then say it to my face that she's not cool.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Hey Bear Enthusiast, looks like Doctor has a Hx tie, does Luka or Raven get the highlight?

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Captain Foo posted:

Mr. Smith

Wombat, take the highlight.

phone posting right now, will clean everything up tomorrow afternoon or Monday at the latest

You're one weird dude Mr. Smith, just how I like 'em.

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone

PoultryGeist posted:

Hey Bear Enthusiast, looks like Doctor has a Hx tie, does Luka or Raven get the highlight?

Well I highlighted Raven, so let's get Luka up in the mix.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Bear Enthusiast posted:

Well I highlighted Raven, so let's get Luka up in the mix.

Doc takes care to keep herself in the background, she does her job and tries to keep attention away from herself. I know strength when I see it and she's a lot tougher than she lets on. Highlight Hard.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Highlights:
Luka: Civilization may have its perks, but you know that you have to be hard to remain Alpha.

JJ: Machine problems can be fixed with tools. People-problems, now for that you have to bring the hot

Raven: You’re in a new place with new ways. Are you sharp enough to learn them?

Mr. Smith:You’ve got a brain full of secrets. You cool enough to keep them?

Doctor: Scalpels need to be sharp, and so do you.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
The game thread is live! Please repost your character sheets there in your first post.

Some things to keep in mind:

The Apocalypse World can be a lovely place, but we’re all trying to have fun. Don’t be a creepy jerk.

Sex and Violence can happen, but let’s not get graphic about either.

Also, this will be my first time running AW, so feel free to pipe up if I do something wonky.

And now: Interesting Times on the Gold Bay

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
Hey I was supposed to decide where Doctor's infirmary was, anyone have any cool ideas where it should be? So far I've got nothin' besides maybe being centrally located?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Bear Enthusiast posted:

Hey I was supposed to decide where Doctor's infirmary was, anyone have any cool ideas where it should be? So far I've got nothin' besides maybe being centrally located?

Well, even if you don't grab it, Adam Savage apparently has a workshop hidden away in some corner the Mission. Might make for a cool location at some point.

Other than that, maybe the Columbus Tower?

This list might provide some ideas.

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Well, even if you don't grab it, Adam Savage apparently has a workshop hidden away in some corner the Mission. Might make for a cool location at some point.

Other than that, maybe the Columbus Tower?

This list might provide some ideas.

Y'know, the idea of just searching for cool places in San Francisco did not even cross my mind. In a related note, The Columbus Tower is kickin' rad and has completely been taken over by Doctor and her assistants.

I tried to approximate where it was from it's real life location for future reference.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Wow, we are off to a great start with all these failed rolls haha.

GM is gonna throw the book at us. :haw:

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Error 404 posted:

Wow, we are off to a great start with all these failed rolls haha.

GM is gonna throw the book at us. :haw:

Luckily I only have the pdf version, shouldn't hurt too much...

Bear Enthusiast, I'll add the location of the infirmary to the map/spreadsheet.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

An mp5 is an SMG, not a machine pistol :bustem:

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

I dunno what you all are talking about with this bad rolls stuff.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I love bonefeel but I also tend to just let it hang out there for a while. If the MC thinks it'll make a scene cooler to have me there go ahead, and if anyone wants me at bust into the scene at some point with exactly what I need just give the nod. For now I'm just in my tech cave following my curiosity.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Captain Foo posted:

An mp5 is an SMG, not a machine pistol :bustem:

Both actually! :science:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Error 404 posted:

Both actually! :science:

literally german for machine pistol, but it's classified as an smg! hooray!

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Hey Error 404, you're timing idea is fine, but I think it stems from me being unclear. While I said Luka was hunting Poco for a few days, I figured that was just how long it took to run him down, he was still within 5-10 miles of the Heap.

So feel free to keep what you said, I just wanted to clear up any inadvertent confusion

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

PoultryGeist posted:

Hey Error 404, you're timing idea is fine, but I think it stems from me being unclear. While I said Luka was hunting Poco for a few days, I figured that was just how long it took to run him down, he was still within 5-10 miles of the Heap.

So feel free to keep what you said, I just wanted to clear up any inadvertent confusion

Oh...well then.
I'm cool either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
We can go with your timeline since you wrote it up and everything, and it ends with you in the same place as the others anyways.

And I'll make sure to be clearer in the future.

• Locked thread