Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
The Great Gold Bay

“Ah, you like Shen’s map? Found it out on the Trade Circuit, before I settled my old bones down. Pretty drat accurate too, seeing as its from the Before. S’got most of the City, the Great Gates, and even the Isle of the Watch Eternal. Don’t have much for the Wastes up at the top there, but maybe the people in the Before didn’t go there either.

Take the word of this old trader, life on the Great Gold Bay could be alot worse. I mean, the water is mostly clean, there’s plenty of green about, and the Order frightens away most of the heavy Waste-freaks. Just stay inside when the chill-mists and the death-fogs roll in, and avoid the Fall-zones.

Practically paradise, it is. Now are you going to buy something or at least entertain Shen with an amusing story?”

Outside Shen’s U-By-It

Two pilgrims behold the Isle of the Watch Eternal after crossing the Wastes

++++
Welcome to my first attempt at running an Apocalypse World PbP game, set in the post-apocalyptic sorta-San Francisco. Don’t worry if you don’t know much about the city, I’m going off of TV/Movies/Internet myself, so accuracy is not required. Things that are needed for apps are:

*Playbook: Core and LE only, and no duplicate playbooks will be picked.
*Bios: A bit of history. Let me know someone you like and someone you don’t.
*Campfire story: The Great Gold Bay is a big place with lots of nooks and crannies. What’s the weirdest/creepiest/scariest thing you’ve seen while out and about?

I'm looking for 4-5 players. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me in here or in #GreatGoldBay on SynIRC. Apps will be open until Friday, April 10th at midnight

Submissions:
Error 404's Luka the Chopper/Werewolf (Complete)
thatbastardken's Ataxy the Battlebabe (Complete)
Mr. Prokosch's Jay the Savvyhead (Complete)
Comrade Gorbash's Raven the Operator (Complete)
Captain Foo's Mr. Smith the Brainer (Complete)
Vulpes Vulpes Sunflower the Faceless (Complete)
Bear Enthusiast's Doctor Emdey the Angel (Complete)

PoultryGeist fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I'm totally down, will get an app up later, probably a gunlugger, but maybe something else depending.

Edit: for campfire story are you looking at having this world be straight sci-fi, or are supernatural elements allowed?

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 3, 2015

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Error 404 posted:

I'm totally down, will get an app up later, probably a gunlugger, but maybe something else depending.

Edit: for campfire story are you looking at having this world be straight sci-fi, or are supernatural elements allowed?

I don't have a hard line in mind, although I'm leaning more towards sci-fi. The Return of the High Fae would be a bit much, but running into a ghost or folkloric monster would fit in fine.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Ok, so, mechanically this is just a Chopper, but I did some reskinning for something I think will be pretty cool and fun to play.

Luka Novak - The Walking Death, Alpha of the Gold Bay Werewolf Pack (Chopper)
have a theme song

After the Apocalypse, strange diseases have been popping up all over. There are even a few that "seem" to cause paranormal* changes in people. Ira Morbus Lycanthropus - The Lycanthrope infection is brutal; mind-altering delerium, aggression beyond madness, along with the now infamous drastic physical changes that the victim undergoes. Leaving behind a mostly mindless monster uncontrollably rampaging through the wilds and infecting or killing anyone they can find. Like a giant, hyper violent, tantruming child with fur.

Every once in awhile though, a rare person infected with this disease manages to survive the transformation with their mind (mostly) intact. These 'Alphas' are left with the ability to think beyond the immediate present, to plan, and to exercise some control over other werewolves. Alphas often exhibit fine control of their condition sufficient enough to be able to change back to their old human form for periods of time (Pretty much all 'regular' werewolves are stuck in wolfman form once infected).

*It should be noted that in spite of the folkloric terms and reputation, the origins of this disease is likely some kind of gene-engineered mutagenic plague that was somehow released during/after the apocalypse.

BIO
It's not common knowledge or anything, but for the vast majority of werewolves, the capacity to actually think, plan, or hold a conversation is like a goddamn superpower.
I'm what you might call an Alpha, I caught the infection, but it didn't leave me a permanent drooling rage-monster, instead it made me stronger. So really, you should be happy I'm around to ride herd on the rest of these dumb bastards, better the monster you know, right? heh. Don't think of it as a threat, think of it as protection. Reasonably priced. My boys and I guard Gold Bay from various nasties, or raid some other fuckers and bring back the good stuff, and in exchange my pack and I use that old building at the edge of the settlement as a crash space.

Cheer up, it's a win-win situation, give or take the odd noise complaint or two.

• CAMPFIRE STORY
    Ok, so like...fuckin picture the scenario. Me and the boys was out Scav'in out by the Berkely Zone. We'd just finished chowing down on that gang of fuckin raiders (you remember them, right? last summer they tried to hit us and bossman sent me and the pack trailing them.) Anyway we finish eating, and I see-I poo poo you not-a group of scavengers, but clean and hauling hi-tech poo poo like it wasn't no thing.

These guys walking around like the Apocalypse never happened. Of course I think to try and 'salvage' some of that good poo poo, but those fuckers had fuckin guns I ain't never seen before. Blew away a bunch of my wolves in, like, a split loving second. Goes without saying I sounded the fuckin retreat and we got the gently caress out.

I swear, someday I'mma find a few more people, real hard fucks like me and my crew, and we're gonna track down those fucks and hit a big score.

:siren:Who I like: Maximus and Sophia:siren:

Yeah yeah, this isn't a single person, but these two, they oughtta count. See, Max and Soph are like...wizards or some poo poo, You never see one without the other being nearby. Soph is young and loud and explosive (literally), while Max is a lot quieter, and like to take his time thinking about...whatever. They got this whole Teacher Student thing going on.

They talk for literally hours on and on about poo poo they call 'Naturally Occult Theosophy' and woo there's like energy fields all around and you can tap in and even the golden age didn't know this stuff and that's why they fell, blah blah blah.

They talk too much, but they're good folks. And like me, the Order doesn't like them too much, but they're too useful to get rid of. So we share a bit of kinship there, plus there was the time Soph did that thing where she waved her hands, said some weird poo poo, and made one of those fuckin 3-headed Dire Bears' heads explode. Simultaneously. Like, maybe that magic poo poo* is real, and maybe it ain't, but those two have got all the respect from me, hell I even made em honorary packmembers cuz they saved my rear end.

• *Psychic Maelstrom as magic or semi-magical phenomena? If I were to describe these folks like PCs:
    Soph would be a gunlugger using 'magic' instead of guns.
    Max is more like a brainer or hocus, again via 'magic' (whatever that is) instead of tech or personality

:siren:Who I dislike: Priest:siren:

No one knows if that's his title or a last name or what, everyone just calls him Priest. He's one of the more hardline Order folks, hates that Bossman let's me and my pack stay here, wants to "cleanse the abomination" and all that. He's polite enough, and I gotta respect he's as much a survivor as they come, mucho not-to-be-hosed-with.

The thing is, I don't like how he "just happens" to be nearby whenever I'm trying to get a beer or drop some jingle, always just...staring. I'm pretty sure one of these days we're probably gonna have a conversation that only one of us walks away from.

quote:

Name: Luka Novak
Playbook: Alpha Werewolf (Chopper)
XP: ( )( )( )( )( )
Harm: ( )( )( )( )( )( )
Armor:2
Look: Man, Regular clothes and leather jacket, Bearded face, Piercing eyes, Scarred body

Cool +1
Hard +2*
Hot -1
Sharp +1*
Weird +0
* = Highlight

GEAR
Personal fashion - Street clothes and leathers (natural werewolf toughness = 2-armor)
2 no-nonsense weapons:
  • smg (2-harm close area loud)
  • loving poo poo up in wolf form (3-harm hand messy)
BARTER: 0

Hx
  • JJ -2
  • Raven +1
  • Smith -2
  • Doc +0

quote:

ALPHA WEREWOLF MOVES:
  • PACK ALPHA
    when you try to impose your will on your Pack, roll +hard.
    On a 10+, all 3.
    On a 7–9, choose 1:
    • they do what you want
    • they don’t fight back over it
    • you don’t have to make an example of one of them
    On a miss, someone in your gang makes a dedicated bid to replace you for alpha.
  • loving THIEVES
    when you have your Pack search their pockets and saddlebags for something, roll +hard. It has to be something small enough to fit.
    On a 10+, one of you happens to have just the thing, or close enough.
    On a 7–9, one of you happens to have something pretty close, unless what you’re looking for is hi-tech, in which case no dice.
    On a miss, one of you used to have just the thing, but it turns out that some asswipe stole it from you.
  • ALPHA SPECIAL
    If you and another character have sex, they immediately change their sheet to say Hx+3 with you. They also choose whether to give you -1 or +1 to your Hx with them, on your sheet.
  • WEREWOLF FORM

power +1 | looks +1 | 1-armor | huge | aggressive | muscular | roaring | sloppy
    Strengths (choose 1 or 2): huge, aggressive
    Looks (choose 1 or 2): muscular, roaring
    Weakness (choose 1): sloppy
  • THE (WOLF) PACK
    Pack Harm: ( )( )( )( )( )( )
    3-harm | gang | small | savage | 2-armor | Vulnerable: mindless rampage

By default, your Pack consists of about 15 vicious 3 meter tall monsters, some with scavenged and makeshift weapons or armor, most with nothing but fur, fangs, and claws and all have no loving discipline at all.
    Then, choose 2:
    your Pack’s well-armed. +1harm.
    your Pack’s well-armored. +1armor.
    And choose 1:
    Your Pack disdains law, peace, reason and society. Vulnerable: mindless rampage.

quote:

BASIC MOVES:
DO SOMETHING UNDER FIRE
When you do something under fire, or dig in to endure fire, roll+cool.
On a 10+, you do it.
On a 7–9, you flinch, hesitate, or stall: the MC can offer you a worse outcome, a hard bargain, or an ugly choice.
GO AGGRO
When you go aggro on someone, roll+hard.
On a 10+, they have to choose: force your hand and suck it up, or cave and do what you want.
On a 7–9, they can instead choose 1:
  • get the hell out of your way
  • barricade themselves securely in
  • give you something they think you want
  • back off calmly, hands where you can see
  • tell you what you want to know (or what you want to hear)
SEIZE BY FORCE
When you try to seize something by force, or to secure your hold on something, roll+hard. On a hit, choose options.
On a 10+, choose 3.
On a 7–9, choose 2:
  • you take definite hold of it
  • you suffer little harm
  • you inflict terrible harm
  • you impress, dismay or frighten your enemy
SEDUCE OR MANIPULATE
When you try to seduce or manipulate someone, tell them what you want and roll+hot. For NPCs: on a hit, they ask you to promise something first, and do it if you promise.
On a 10+, whether you keep your promise is up to you, later.
On a 7–9, they need some concrete assurance right now.
For PCs: on a 10+, both. On a 7–9, choose 1:
  • if they do it, they mark experience
  • if they refuse, it’s acting under fire
What they do then is up to them.
READ A SITCH
When you read a charged situation, roll+sharp. On a hit, you can ask the MC questions. Whenever you act on one of the MC’s answers, take +1.
On a 10+, ask 3. On a 7–9, ask 1:
  • where’s my best escape route / way in / way past?
  • which enemy is most vulnerable to me?
  • which enemy is the biggest threat?
  • what should I be on the lookout for?
  • what’s my enemy’s true position?
  • who’s in control here?
READ A PERSON
When you read a person in a charged interaction, roll+sharp.
On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7–9, hold 1.
While you’re interacting with them, spend your hold to ask their player questions, 1 for 1:
  • is your character telling the truth?
  • what’s your character really feeling?
  • what does your character intend to do?
  • what does your character wish I’d do?
  • how could I get your character to __?
OPEN YOUR BRAIN
When you open your brain to the world’s psychic maelstrom, roll+weird. On a hit, the MC will tell you something new and interesting about the current situation, and might ask you a question or two; answer them.
On a 10+, the MC will give you good detail.
On a 7–9, the MC will give you an impression. If you already know all there is to know, the MC will tell you that.
HELP OR INTERFERE
When you help or interfere with someone who’s making a roll, roll+Hx.
On a hit, they take +1 (help) or -2 (interfere) now.
On a 7–9, you also expose yourself to fire, danger, retribution or cost.
SESSION END
At the end of every session, choose a character who knows you better than they used to. If there’s more than one, choose one at your whim. Tell that player to add +1 to their Hx with you on their sheet. If this brings them to Hx+4, they reset to Hx+1 (and therefore mark experience).

HARM & HEALING MOVES
By default, the harm & healing moves are in play. The MC might decide to forego them, case by case.
This move is unusual in that a hit is bad for the player and a miss is good:
When you suffer harm, roll+harm suffered (after armor, if you’re wearing any).
On a 10+, the MC can choose 1:
  • You’re out of action: unconscious, trapped, incoherent or panicked.
  • It’s worse than it seemed. Take an additional 1-harm.
  • Choose 2 from the 7–9 list below.
On a 7–9, the MC can choose 1:
  • You lose your footing.
  • You lose your grip on whatever you’re holding.
  • You lose track of someone or something you’re attending to.
  • You miss noticing something important.

On a miss, the MC can nevertheless choose something from the 7–9 list above. If she does, though, it’s instead of some of the harm you’re suffering, so you take -1harm.

When you inflict harm on another player’s character, the other character gets +1Hx with you (on their sheet) for every segment of harm you inflict. If this brings them to Hx+4, they reset to Hx+1 as usual, and therefore mark experience.

When you heal another player’s character’s harm, you get +1Hx with them (on your sheet) for every segment of harm you heal. If this brings you to Hx+4, you reset to Hx+1 as usual, and therefore mark experience.
When you hurt someone, they see you more clearly. When you heal someone, you see them more clearly.

BARTER MOVES
When you give 1-barter to someone, but with strings attached, it counts as manipulating them and hitting the roll with a 10+, no roll required.

When you go into a holding’s bustling market, looking for some particular thing to buy, and it’s not obvious whether you should be able to just go buy one like that, roll+sharp.
On a 10+, yes, you can just go buy it like that.
On a 7–9, the MC chooses one of the following:
  • it costs 1-barter more than you’d expect
  • it’s available, but only if you meet with a guy who knows a guy
  • drat, I had one, I just sold it to this guy named Rolfball, maybe you can go get it off him?
  • sorry, I don’t have that, but maybe this will do instead?

When you make known that you want a thing and drop jingle to speed it on its way, roll+barter spent (max roll+3). It has to be a thing you could legitimately get this way.
On a 10+ it comes to you, no strings attached.
On a 7–9 it comes to you, or something pretty close.
On a miss, it comes to you, but with strings very much attached.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 13, 2015

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hahahaha man that idea just stuck, huh

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Tollymain posted:

hahahaha man that idea just stuck, huh

I really really liked your idea, and it's been sitting in my 'poo poo I totally am gonna play at some point' folder ever since.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Work in progress

Ataxy the Battlebabe

"No, not 'a taxi', rear end in a top hat! Ataxy, like...chaos. Disorder. Entropy. Yes it's a loving word, you illiterate chud! Salvage a loving book some time, jeez. And no, I don't want a drink, smoke, needle, gently caress or anything else you have to offer. I'm here on business. If you'd been paying attention in the first place you;d have heard that. Oh, now you want to know what business? Depends. Your name Gill? Oh yeah? Cool, I got a message from Mama-sama. She says, uh, hang on, I wrote this down. (sound of rustling paper) '私はそれはあなたに、変異体性交を私の女の子をカット誰があなただった知っている。地獄で分解!' That make sense to you? Nah, me neither. Anyway, there's a second part to the message. (Shotgun roars, screaming from onlookers). Yeah, that seems pretty clear."

BIO
An assassin, bodyguard, scout and general troubleshooter with an absurdly oversize shotgun and no fear of death who works for pretty much anyone with the jingle to keep her in expensive custom ammo and a soft bed. Strangely well educated for a hired murderer, although that mostly just expands the vocabulary she insults you in. Took her name from an old book of words she salvaged off a crazy pilgrim who spent too long in the mist and went feral. If anyone knows her old name, or where she came from, they've kept quiet about it. Her accent says she's not from any of the main holds around the bay, but that's about it. Has a fairly amicable relationship with Mama-sama the brothel keeper due to dealing with an unruly customer for her, although she isn't employed by her (in any capacity) on a regular basis. Not popular with the fishing village of Bad Sailing, due to murdering one of their popular captains. It's mutual.

CAMPFIRE STORY
"Oh man, I got a doozy. See, there's this scav crew up in the northern hills used to be run a...guy? Think he was a guy, anyway, called Dibs. Dibs was obsessed with the idea that there were Golden Age people still alive, but floating around way up in the sky. Spent a lot of time and jingle putting together a telescope to try and see them on a clear night, drove his gang nuts. After a year or so he gets this thing working right, tells the holder of the place he's living that he can use it to get a line on hi-tech and luxe salvage that the Sky People throw away. Then him and his whole crew up and disappear, except for one guy who shows up like a week later, raving about 'glowing twins' and 'a voice that killed' before he died. And yeah, maybe they turned on each other over a score. Maybe the dude who came back was mist-taken. But...the day before they vanished, there was that real bright shooting star, the one that looked like a flare launched from the island.

Maybe the sky people don't like being looked at."

quote:

LOOK: Woman, showy armour, striking face, calculating eyes, sweet body.

STATS: Cool+3 Hard-2 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird+1

BATTLEBABE MOVES:

Ice cold: when you go aggro on an NPC, roll+cool instead of roll+hard. When you go aggro on another player’s character, roll+Hx instead of roll+hard.

Merciless: when you inflict harm, inflict +1harm

BATTLEBABE SPECIAL

If you and another character have sex, nullify the other character’s sex move. Whatever it is, it just doesn’t happen.

GEAR

You get:
• 2 custom weapons
• oddments worth 2-barter
• fashion suitable to your look,including armor worth 2-armor (finely crafted leather with metal reinforcement. Stylish and practical!)

Custom Weapon 1: shotgun (3-harm close reload messy) + hi-powered (+1harm), big (+1harm)
Based on the KS-23

Custom Weapon 2: handle (1-harm hand), blade (+1harm), hidden (+infinite).
More knives that you can shake a stick at.

HX

Everyone introduces their characters by name, look and outlook. Take your turn. List the other characters’ names.Go around again for Hx. On your turn:

• Tell everyone Hx+1. You put yourself out in the public view. On the others’ turns:
• Choose the character you trust the least. Whatever number that player tells you, ignore it; write Hx+3 next to the character’s name instead.
• Everyone else, write whatever number they tell you next to their character’s name.

At the end, find the character with the highest Hx on your sheet. Ask that player which of your stats is most interesting, and highlight it. The MC will have you highlight a second stat too.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Apr 3, 2015

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here's the thing about the Bay. It's a big place, and nobody owns it. Lots of people want to own it, sure. But the moment any one of them tries to make a move, they're going to be meeting unhappiness on all sides.

Enter the Court. We have entertainers and drinks in plenty, but that's not what people come for. Situated where it is, it's a natural place to meet. The warlords, the families, even the fisher king comes here, though I can't claim she's ever set foot to the floor. It's the place to sell secrets, to make or break alliances, and whatever other maneuvering you want to do. I don't take sides. I just keep the place running.

I'm Basil, and for the last decade I've been the madman in charge of the Court. I've heard more secrets than anybody else in this town, but I can't afford to ever tell any of them. I run the only neutral ground in a city where everybody and their grandmother is vying for supremacy.

Yeah, it's still a city. Most of it's ruins, and we're a pack of snarling wolves in comparison to the Golden Age, but I read some history books once and frankly? Civilization didn't fall, it just climbed up on a pedestal for a few minutes before falling back off. It's a wonder the Golden Age ever was, because violence is the natural state of humanity and it's hard to believe people forgot that.

Oh, you want to hear about weirdness? Okay, how about the Fisher King. She's the reason why the Fishers are doing so well, I hear. Lots of spook stories they say about her. Any boat she's on will never fail to have full nets. She was born on the water, and has never set foot on land (would explain the litter, anyhow). The literal Bay might, in fact, belong to her.

pre:

Basil, the Maestro D'

Cool=0 | Hard=0 | Hot+2 | Sharp+1 | Weird=0

Man, vintage wear, scarred face, cool eyes, restless body, sausage fingers

A wicked blade (2 harm, hand), 1-barter, fashion suitable to your look

Fingers in every pie: put out the word that you want a thing — could be a person,
could be somethin somethin, could even be just a thing — and roll+hot. On a 10+,
it shows up in your establishment for you, like magic. On a 7-9, well, your people
make an effort and everybody wants to please you and close is close, right? On a miss,
it shows up in your establishment for you with strings wicked attached.

Everybody eats, even that guy: when you want to know something about someone important
(your call), roll+hot. On a hit, you can ask the MC questions. On a 10+, ask 3. On a 7-9,
ask 1:
• how are they doing? what’s up with them?
• what or who do they love best?
• who do they know, like and/or trust?
• when next should I expect to see them?
• how could I get to them, physically or emotionally?
pre:
Basil's Court: a scene to see and be, supported by spectacle and drinks

Atmosphere in four words: lights, luxury, noise, intrigue

Names of note:
- Toyota is my best regular
- Lamprey is my worst
- Been wants in on the Court
- Rolfball? I owe the Court to them
- Gams wants it gone

Security:
- everybody’s packing: (2-harm gang small
0-armor)
- a warren of dead-ends, hideaways & boltholes

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Apr 3, 2015

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh hey, is this thing irc or pbp or what

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Error 404, I'm definitely intrigued by the concept. May have a few caveats/clarifications later if something occurs to me.

Tollymain posted:

oh hey, is this thing irc or pbp or what

Its a PbP game, which I've added to the OP

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

PoultryGeist posted:

Error 404, I'm definitely intrigued by the concept. May have a few caveats/clarifications later if something occurs to me.

Groovy

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hey poultry, you ever read Derelict?

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Tollymain posted:

hey poultry, you ever read Derelict?

Nope, but from the look at the few pages I skimmed, I will be

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Welp, I have just realized that I opened apps on the Good Friday/Easter weekend. I may extend the deadline a bit depending on turnout. But for the fine folks that are already here, a few questions:

Luka: No offense, but you and your 'friends' are the kind of monster that the Order generally exterminates or drives back into the Wastes. Why haven't they done so in your case?

Basil: Gams? Huh, I always thought they were a pretty chill… individual. What’s their beef with you and The Court?

Ataxy: You’re the one that took out Captain Rodgers? Wow, that’s pretty ballsy considering Bad Sailing is a heavy power bloc on the Bay. Why’d you do it, was it personal or professional?

Sax Battler
Jul 31, 2007

Another bloody customs post,
Another fucking foreign coast,
Another set of scars to boast,
We Are The Road Crew.

Sax Battler fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 5, 2015

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

PoultryGeist posted:

Ataxy: You’re the one that took out Captain Rodgers? Wow, that’s pretty ballsy considering Bad Sailing is a heavy power bloc on the Bay. Why’d you do it, was it personal or professional?

Woah, coming straight in with the loaded-rear end question there! Check out Mr Assuming-the-personal-can't-also-be-professional! And really, murdering someone is pretty much always a super personal act, no matter how much you get paid for it. You try to splatter someone's brains against a rock or hold a knife in them while they struggle and bleed out and tell me it wasn't personal afterwards. But, uh, I did get paid for it, since you ask. His crew put together a collection to have him put down, and the price was right. Oh, they all bitch and moan and swear vengeance about the death of Rodgers, but now Barnes is running his boat and living in his fancy house, the crew are all getting paid more, looks like it's win win to me. Of course, no-one in Bad Sailing is going to buy that from me for a second and they'd happily string me up to cover their own tracks, but I know who they'll come crying to the next time they need work done.

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
I'm totally down, expect a Brainer or Operator coming up soon!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

PoultryGeist posted:

Luka: No offense, but you and your 'friends' are the kind of monster that the Order generally exterminates or drives back into the Wastes. Why haven't they done so in your case?
Yeah well...do the words 'mutual benefit' or 'deniable assets' mean anything to you? The Order runs this town, but I fuckin run the wilds. Me and my blockheads can get in and out of places un-fuckin-scathed that you soft-skinned motherfuckers wouldn't last 3 seconds in.

So how'd our little arrangement come to pass? Well two things. First, I like eating meat bloody and raw as much as the next wolf, but a man cannot live on carcass alone, to say nothing of the fact that my pack is about as conversational as a homicidal wet fart. Second, as much as they piss me off sometimes, my pack is...gently caress they're MY PACK, I feel responsible for em, keeping em healthy and keeping em safe (for various values of safe).

So it's to my benefit that I can have a secure place to let my wolves chill when we're not running the trails, and I can get a decent beer and something more than monosyllabic conversations. The Order gets a force of fuckin nature on call for when they can't or won't send anyone else. And believe me, a wolf pack in full raging fury is a thing to behold, like a motherfucking act of god. That group of raiders I mentioned in my story? yeah, I was sent by the Order after those fuckers becausethey tried to raid us. So yeah, As long as we pay our "rent" and don't make too many waves, Bossman and the rest of the Order let us hang around. That's been our status quo for the last year and change. Everybody's mostly comfortable, if not exactly friendly.

Here's the thing though, Bossman's been getting real worried lately. That old, creepy loving abandoned island in the middle of the Bay? well for the last month or so people have been spotting weird loving lights out there at night. I can feel it, poo poo's gonna get real pretty loving soon.

I just realized I forgot to add the two NPCs in my app post, I'll get that fixed.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PoultryGeist posted:

Basil: Gams? Huh, I always thought they were a pretty chill… individual. What’s their beef with you and The Court?

That old granny? It's nothing personal. On my end, anyway. Her feud comes from before I took over. See, Gams actually once had a shot at owning this city. She was nearly unstoppable, before everybody else wised up and banded together to hamstring her. She still has the biggest chunk of the pie, by far, but she'll never get another inch.

The Court was where all those folks put their heads together when they realized how ambitious she was, you see. So she hates this place. Her people meet here, same as everybody else, but she'll says she'll personally never be seen on the premises unless the place is burning down behind her, I hear.

Used to be I'd ignore that kind of talk, but she's getting up in years. Might be she figures she doesn't have much left to lose one of these days, so I keep an extra eye on her folks when they're around.

poo poo, same.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Back shots n buckshots, gutshots n nutshots
Burns n blisters, bugs n boils n rabid squoils
Don’t you fret, don’t you fear
Docwagon’s here!
We’ll fix you up, we’ll set you right
We’ll get you ready for your next big fight!
Docwagon!
~Guitar riff~
Docwaaaagoon!

The squeaky speakers cut out with a final blast of electronica butt rock.

“Is it poo poo? Is it the poo poo? It’s poo poo right? It’s lovely poo poo! Nobody taught me how to write songs man. Nobody taught me poo poo. It’s all about iterations. You gotta try and fail and that’s how you learn. That’s what I’m doing with this docwagon thing here. I made the wagon, see? It’s right there, great van, just great. I made all this poo poo you see. I made it cause I got a brain. I can fix anything now. Make anything. Do I know how to fix a femur? poo poo no! And that’s, like, a limitation. We gotta break out limitations. Maybe I make a mistake here and there while I learn. Maybe I need some poo poo, I don’t got, I don’t even know I need until I need it. Better than nothing man. Probably. So I stock up this wagon with, like, medicine. I got the lab making medicine now, I think. Probably medicine."

quote:

NAME: Jay “Doc” Johnson aka “JJ” aka “Wombat” aka “Fix-It”

LOOK: Boy, tech wear, expressive face, dancing eyes, wiry body

STATS: Cool-1 Hard=0 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird+2

SAVVYHEAD MOVES:

Bonefeel: at the beginning of the session, roll+weird. On a 10+, hold 1+1. On a 7–9, hold 1. At any time, either you or the MC can spend your hold to have you already be there, with the proper tools and knowledge, with or without any clear explanation why. If your hold was 1+1, take +1forward now. On a miss, the MC holds 1, and can spend it to have you already be there, but somehow pinned, caught or trapped.

Spooky intense: when you do something under fire, roll + weird instead of roll + cool

GEAR

Angel Kit (pending approval). "I got a book, says these are the tools I need to fix up people."
SMG. "Nobody doesn't have a gun. This is a great gun because it shots a lot of bullets. It's all about the bullet delivery time."
Fashion worth 1-armor.

quote:

Workshop – “The Hole”

Jay’s set up shop in this sweet underground storage spot. Building fell down, but the basement’s still there. Just gotta find the stairs in the rubble. He’s filled it with all the cool poo poo he could snatch.

A van – got it running, got it painted, still working on the speakers and some of the medical poo poo. It’s parked out back. Jay hosed with the starter so only he knows how to get it going, but that doesn’t stop some rear end in a top hat from striping the thing if they get the hankering. It’s parked out of sight from the street though. So either somebody would have to be real curious or know where to look.

Weird-rear end electronica – Just piles of glowing, beeping, spinning, whatever-ing stuff. Anything that caught Jay’s eye and he figured he could take without getting his hands chopped off

A controlled growing environment – Jay set it up a while ago. Might have been the reason he moved in, in the first place. Used to grow pot. Then he figured he could solve the food crises and grew tomatoes. Tired of tomatoes. Way too many tomatoes. Now he’s gonna be a doctor so he’s trying to get opium going. Could also sell it on the side.

He’s got power for his poo poo. Scrounged solar panels from SF hippies, set them up around the neighborhood and wired the place. Assholes keep cutting the wires though.

BIO
JJ is just a young genius who never knew anything but the apocalypse. His ma got pregnant young. Never knew his pa. Ma was alright until she left and never came back. The boy scrounged for food, did odd jobs all over town. Fixed things, found things, got in with a gang for a while, The Boyz, until they had a disagreement about resource allocation. He spends most of his time tinkering with things and reading the library books that haven't been burned yet. It's been a few years now, he's sprung into an gangly, hungry, teen. People are starting to hear about him though. He does good work, got the special touch for tech. His rep would probably be better if he stuck to one project, but most people these days will tolerate a little weirdness. This doctoring poo poo is a little iffy. It's not like people don't want a doctor, especially one that will come to you. It's just... who wants the Wombat to tinker with your insides?

Someone I like:

Father Paul
A Priest of the Order, when I ran off from the gang I had trouble finding food and the chills were extra bad. Man was out leading some kind of freak hunt, stumbled on me. Decided I wasn't a freak, very generous considering my interests. Good man, maybe too good for his work. Takes his titles seriously, never a good idea. He gave me food, shared a few words, even invited me to head to the Watchtower, sign up as an apprentice. I never took him up. I need my freedom.

Someone you don't like:
]
Spiral
I'm all about the love. I don't mean wrong by nobody. So it's not like I don't like. But sometimes I'm not so liked, you know what I mean? Some folks, they're way to into property rights. Property is a matter of consensus, you know? There's like a public interest. And when I found out Spiral was getting pissy because I took some poo poo, poo poo he wasn't even watching, he don't even know what it is, I brought it right back. You know what he did? He broke my loving arm! Said it was about respect. Said I was getting off easy. Said if I try poo poo again he'd chop it off. drat man, you know how hard it is to work with a broke arm? Thing never even set right. Now it bends back all funny, see? See how it bends?

Weird/Scary/Creepy thing
gently caress yeah! I thought you'd never ask! You see this vial? It's got death mist in it! I've been working on a way to, like, scan and isolate the death substan..., no that's boring, that's poo poo. I got this piece of tech here. It can read brains! You want your brain read? It beeps when you think about girls... I think. Maybe it beeps every 8 seconds? Hard to tell. Hard to tell. I put it on my jar brain and it worked though. Huh? My jar brain? Yeah I found it up in the Wastes. Yeah, I go to the wastes. Like all the time. It's where you find the coolest stuff. Anyway, I think the brain is alive, man. That's why the scanner works! Someday I'm gonna find a person that's only dead in the brain and I'll see if I can plug the jar in. Wouldn't that be wild! Hey, you doing anything with your body? Not now, jeez, but you know, if you end up dead. Mind if I use your parts? I think I can make a cyborg. Principals are all laid out in this book I read.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i can't not hear jj as scooter from borderlands.

and now you can't either. you're welcome.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Tollymain posted:

*Patient bleeding out on the floor* "gotta git you rolling, man!"

*Doc Wagon careening down the street, as it passes Jay can be heard* "Catch a riiiiiiiiiiiiiide!"

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Loving the apps so far, keep'em coming!

Mr. Prokosch: Since Saveyheads get carte blache for starting personal gear, I'll allow the angel kit but at the gunlugger's 2-stock version.

Tollymain posted:

You... you monster!

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Raven the Operator

In the Wastes, everyone's got poo poo they need done, and done right. And there are people who know how to get it done, any way you like. Professional, quiet, cheap, whatever you need.

But if you need flare and verve, that crazy love for danger just to prove you've got the sharpest edge out there - well, then you need me. I've been from one end of the Wastes to the other, and all the best places in between.

First gig I pulled was getting myself and my crew out of the clutches of a bunch of religious fanatics with delusions of righteousness. Aren't parents just the worst? After that I've done everything you've heard and more.

Hauled the mainframe that gave the Mainframe their name out of the depths of a black site filled with old government projects gone wrong? Hell, I went back down for spare parts and snacks!

Went right into the heart of Old Chicago to get Remy La Fleur something to hang in his bedroom wall? That and I stood on top of the tower to see the edge of the world, since I was there and all.

Don't ask La Fleur for a recommendation, though, because you heard right - I stole the last cherry tree right out of his garden and traded it to the Gardeners for a lark. Stole his heart too. I'm not sure which pissed him off more.

I've swum the Big Muddy and walked the Big Apple's streets. Seen the Arch and dueled crazy rear end Texans - is there another kind? - at high noon. Outsmarted slavers in the Neon City and outrun Comanche on the high plains. And that's just warming up.

I ran out of impossible things to do further east, so I've come west to find more. I've already stood atop the Emerald City's Needle, and learned the secret rites of the Weirders even further north. Got myself a price on my head in Boise, and someone they call the Bloodhound trailing my footsteps since. Mores the pity for him - my footsteps are all across this land, into the dark places and the light, and if you aren't me, it's a hard path to walk.

Lately I heard tell of this Great Gold Bay of yours, and I decided to see it for myself.

What, you don't believe me? Well, I'll prove it. What's the hardest thing you can think of? No, not that, something really dangerous. I'll do it, and you'll pay me. Wait right here, it won't take long.

Character Sheet posted:

Stats: Cool+2, Hard+1, Hot+1, Sharp=0, Weird-1
Looks: Woman, signature wear, honest face, sharp eyes, energetic body
Moves: Moonlighting, Reputation
Gear: Buttercup (3-harm close reload loud), oddments worth 1 barter, those stylish Wastewalker threads (1-armor)

Moves:
Ice cold: when you go aggro on an NPC, roll+cool instead of roll+hard. When you go aggro on another player’s character, roll+Hx instead of roll+hard
Moonlighting: you get 2-juggling. Whenever there’s a stretch of downtime in play, or between sessions, choose a number of your gigs to work. Choose no more than your juggling. Roll+cool. On a 10+, you get profit from all the gigs you chose. On a 7–9, you get profit from at least 1; if you chose more, you get catastrophe from 1 and profit from the rest. On a miss, catastrophe all around. The gigs you aren’t working give you neither profit nor catastrophe. Whenever you get a new gig, you also get +1juggling.
Reputation: when you meet someone important (your call), roll+cool. On a hit, they’ve heard of you, and you say what they’ve heard; the MC will have them respond accordingly. On a 10+, you take +1forward for dealing with them as well. On a miss, they’ve heard of you, but the MC will decide what they’ve heard.

Gigs: 3-juggling
Paying:
Deliveries (1-barter / bushwacked)
Enforcement (1-barter / overthrown)
Scavenging (1-barter / impoverished)
Technical work (2-barter / shut out)
Obligation:
Avoiding someone (you keep well clear / they catch you in a bad spot)

Advancement:
☐ get +1cool (max cool+3)
☐ get +1hard (max hard+2)
☐ get +1sharp (max sharp+2)
☐ get a new operator move
☐ get a new operator move
add a gig and you may change your crew
☐ add a gig and you may change your crew
☐ abandon or resolve an obligation gig for good
get a move from another playbook [Battlebabe: Ice Cold]
☐ get a move from another playbook

Hx:
Emdey+3
JJ+2
Luka+2
Mr. Smith+0

Crew posted:

Current Crew:
Crow - Right hand man, level headed, the Sancho to Raven's Don Quixote. Bit cynical and world weary. Raven's brother.
Nau Shan Shan - Former Portlander who owes Raven her life. Sneaky as hell, good with a bow, expert tracker, doesn't talk much.
Merlin Babbage - Techie from Mainframe, easy going guy who keeps the group and their gear working.
The Wellmark Twins - Sam and Alex. Sam is a girl who loves guns, and Alex is a boy who loves bikes (preferably motorized).
Twirl - Newest recruit, Bay local with a crush on Raven.
Luka - The wolfman. His pack runs with Raven's crew now.

Contacts:
Remy La Fleur - The Marquis of the Wastes, the richest man alive. Owner of the Last Comely House. Possibly has feelings for Raven, but also ill-will since she stole the last cherry tree from him.
LCD - Runs KPAX, the Bay's best and only radio station. Raven got her a new transmitter.
Crush - The Local's top enforcer. A giant of a woman.
The Proprietor - Runs Cliff House, an ancient luxe restaurant. Raven stole the Potomac for her.
Deep Six - Another operator in the Bay, specializes in maritime/underwater jobs.
Gozo - Runs Scrapper's Market and more. A power in the Bay.
Emdey - The Bay's premier sawbones. Raven found Before Times meds for her.
Keela - Last Chancer pirate, captain of the Azula's Flame.

Enemies:
The Bloodhound - Tenacious bounty hunter.
Church of the Holy Generator/PwrGas! - Bunch of religious weirdo assholes.

A Weird Thing:
I haven't been out here long, mind, but I've already seen some strangeness that's worth remarking on, even for someone as well traveled as I am. We passed through that forest across the bay on our way here. Most of its dead, of course, but not everything in it is. One of the fogs you get had rolled in. Couldn't see our hands in front of our faces. Had to do a rope line so we didn't lose each other. We stumbled along through that place for hours, then all of a sudden we found ourselves in this little dip in the land, and among a collection of huts. Rough things, of wood and stone and grass, with a great fire in the middle. Shaped strangely. Entrances too high up off the ground, the way they were arranged around each other... Disconcerting somehow. Totally abandoned, but only moments before we got there. We looked around a little. Mostly rubbish, but in one of the huts it was piled up on some sort of altar.

That's when Nau Shan Shan hushed us. And then we could all hear it. Something moving around, just out of view in the fog. Above us. All around us. It was getting dark, and the fog was just as thick. That's when I got LCD's station on my radio. The static bursting out and then resolving into words. We got out of there, followed the signal. I didn't see anything, but Crow swears he saw something in the mist, just barely. Not clearly.

I think there's something living out there, and I'm not sure it's human.

Someone I Like:

LCD's broadcasts are what lead us the last few miles, when that damned fog rolled in. Seems she has the pulse of this place, and knows everyone and everything. She'd heard I was in town before I dropped by her station to pay my respects. Like her taste in music too.

Someone I Don't Like:

This Bloodhound creep has been following me around. He's bad news. Hard bastard, I have to admit, but a bit obsessive if you ask me. Big name bounty hunter, lets his guns do the talking. Prefers the dead in the whole dead or alive bit. Good at his job though. Supposedly he's got some kind of code, but far as I can tell, he's in it for the jingle and the blood.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 11, 2015

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I'm gonna make something, just y'all wait.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mr. Smith. A Brainer.

pre:
Stats: Cool+2 Hard-1 Hot-1 Sharp=0 Weird+2
Looks: Man, office wear,  smooth face, soft eyes, slight body.
Moves:
Direct-brain whisper projection: you can roll+weird to get the effects of going aggro, without 
 going aggro. Your victim has to be able to see you, but you don’t have to interact. If your
 victim forces your hand, your mind counts as a weapon (1-harm ap close loud-optional).
Casual brain receptivity: when you read someone, roll+weird instead of roll+sharp. Your victim 
 has to be able to see you, but you don’t have to interact.
Gear:
silenced 9mm (2-harm close hi-tech)
oddly patched tweed jacket (1-armor)
pain-wave projector (1-harm ap area loud reload hi-tech) Goes off like a reusable grenade. Hits everyone but you.
brain relay (area close hi-tech) For purposes of brainer moves, if someone can see your brain relay, they can see you.
oddments worth 5-barter
Hx: Luka +3 Wombat +3 Raven +2 Doctor +2
Bio: The Great Gold Bay. It's home, isn't it? Home is where the heart is, or so they say. Hearts are overrated, I say. Sure, it keeps you alive, but just living is boring. It's all about what's going on upstairs. That's what really makes me me, and you you. Everyone's got their secrets, their goals, their dreams. I've got mine, too. But what you don't know doesn't hurt you. What I don't know, though? That hurts you. Because I aim to find out.

Gozo. I like this guy. Runs a small market. Thing is, he doesn't fear me. A lot of people do, right off the bat, even if they don't know why. Makes him easy to talk to. We try not to antagonize each other too much, and I can usually get some pretty good deals from him. Likewise, people don't tend to gently caress around in Gozo's market. Much.

Lightning Jack. I don't like this guy. Runs a small gang. He's got no morals. None. Wiped out Lady Torsa's hospital for jingle. A big pile of jingle, but still. Hospital. He comes around every so often, offering jingle to join up with him. So far, he's taken no for an answer. One of these days he's going to take a different tack.

Campfire. Does someone mind telling me what the gently caress these are?

And what they're doing in everyone around here's dreams?

Captain Foo fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jun 2, 2015

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Questions questions, who has the questions? Oh right, I do:

Jay/Doc/JJ/Wombat/Fix-it/Whatever: Folks know you do good work there kiddo, even if you can’t stay still for more than five minutes. But what’s the biggest, most stick-to-it-est thing you’ve built or problem solved?

Raven: Well aren’t we Ms. Fancypants. You may have been big out in The Beyond, but Baysiders only care about what you do here. Speaking of which, what was the first gig you worked once you arrived?

Mr. Smith: Oh hi Mr. Smith, its, err, nice to see you? Now, looking in other’s heads is you thing, for fun or money. So what’s the worst, holy-poo poo-that’s-big secret you’ve pulled out of someone’s brainmeats?

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

PoultryGeist posted:

Jay/Doc/JJ/Wombat/Fix-it/Whatever: Folks know you do good work there kiddo, even if you can’t stay still for more than five minutes. But what’s the biggest, most stick-to-it-est thing you’ve built or problem solved?

This grow lab was no small thing. It was really pretty big! Proper light fixtures, heating, water, reliable electricity, this poo poo is like civilization in your pocket! Like a little space ship underground! Biodome 2 man!

You know, I'm not a bad guy. Really! I first got started because I saw everybody being all stressed out all the time. Figured we needed some mellow in this town. Like back in the good days. Like rainbows and feelings and chill. So I look up what's the most chill chemical around? Tetrahydrocannabinol! But then we had that bad winter. Wrong chill. Chills came down hard, all the green folks planted turned brown and dead. I saw what was going down, so I switched quick as you please! Tomatoes! I expanded the whole operation for it! Tracked down the best seeds, altered the conditions for a perfect grow, and I beat out everybody for fresh produce! Only fresh poo poo for a month until the outdoor gardeners got going again. My prices were crazy cheap too, basically gave the poo poo away... You know, I didn't want to get shot over being the only guy with food. Now it's cool again, don't need so many tomatoes.

Then Lightning Jack, that prick! Don't tell him I said that! Lightning Jack, he blasts the hospital! loving sick people flopping around all over the place now! So we don't need food, we need medicine! So whose there to save the day! Me! Doc! Folks call me Doc now, or they will. Most don't know yet.

You sure dug up a lot of names by the way! My real name is Jay. Johnson if we're being formal, and we never are. Good buddies call me JJ. We good buddies? Fix-it is what I was calling myself when I was a repair man. Still do that I guess? So yeah, I'm still Fix-it, or whatever. Like you throw something weird at me and I'll fix it. Maybe even tell you what it does!

You heard the Wombat thing too huh? Well, Wombat was my kid name. You know I was running with these guys and we all picked animal code names. There was like "snake" and "tiger" and poo poo. Well I read more than the other guys, so I knew animal names they never seen. So I whipped out a name I heard, didn't really know what the animal was either. But since I knew a little more, I got to make up what it was. So I was like "15 foot tall acid spitting lizard that eats tigers for breakfast!" I still don't know what a Wombat is. I guess it's a cool name. But I don't run with them no more, so, like, call me Doc. JJ if we're friends.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Sunflower, the Faceless

quote:

Stats: Cool+1, Hard+3, Hot-1, Sharp=0, Weird+1

Look: Man, scrounge armour, hard eyes, huge body

Moves-

Rasputin: shot, stabbed, and poisoned, you just keep coming. When you are being scary as gently caress and coming at someone, you get +1-armor. You still get shot and stabbed, bleeding just doesn’t bother you that much anymore.

Beastly: you get +1hard (hard+3).

Oh yeah! roll+hard to smash your way through scenery to get to or away from something. 10+, the scenery moved or smashed and you get what you want. On a 7–9 you get what you want and smash or move the scenery, but take 1-harm (ap), and are disoriented and under fire in follow-up actions, leave something behind, or take something with you. ink smashing through walls or pushing through burned out husks of cars.

The Unexpected: when someone sees you unmasked for the first time, they take s-harm, in addition to:
Powerless You lose access to all of your character moves. You can still make basic moves.
Grotesque Every PC who sees you goes immediately to Hx+3 with you

Gear:
Sawed-off (3-harm close reload messy)
Heavy black coat, scavenged riot vest (2-Armour)
Pocketful of sunflower seeds

"I know what you're looking at. Do you? Do know what you're looking at? You think it's a mask, but it's not. It's my face. You want to know what's under it, I bet. I'll show you. But I expect the same courtesy. After I take my face off, then I'm going to take yours and see what's under it.

Thought so.

So why don't you tell me what you're doing in my field with all that gas. Going to burn my flowers, I bet. Who sent you? Was it Fujimori? I bet it was. I bet. I bet I bet I bet.

Excuse me.

Fujimori's sore because I popped his kobun. He should know better. He should know to take that up with the Teacher. Fuj knows I did it on the Teacher's orders. Little yakuza was moving into Coffintown and he should have known that the Teach wouldn't like that. So pow-pow, problem all gone. Sunflower gets his jingle and keeps his field. Grows his flowers. Everyone's happy. Except Oyabun Fujimori. But gently caress him.

Because my flowers are important. You didn't know that, I bet. But you should. Because something's coming. Something's coming from over the sea, and people can feel it. I can feel it. Can you feel it?

Probably not. I shouldn't have hit you so hard. There's something coming and I need sunflowers to stop it. More and more flowers. More and more faces, turned to the sun. Heliotropes. Ain't that some poo poo? I harvest some for barter, for seeds and oil and whatnot. But we need more flowers. Because when there are no sunflowers, that's when the thing from across the sea will come.

That's what I'm trying to tell people. But no one will listen, on account of my face. But maybe they'll listen to you. So, little burner-man, little hired-gascan, you and me got to come to a decision. Do I send you back with a new gospel to spread? Or do you stay here and feed my flowers?

I bet I know which you pick. I bet."

Who do I like?

The Teacher runs Coffintown. I work for the Teacher sometimes, when he needs ugly things done. I'm pretty good at it. He lets me grow my flowers in my field, and I plant them wherever else I can. He doesn't believe me, about the "something coming", but that's okay. Some people just can't feel it. Teach has always treated me fair.

Who do I dislike?

Fujimori's trying to move his people into Coffintown, real sly. I bet he didn't think the Teacher would push back so hard. Gave me some work to do. Two of his kobun I've put in the ground. gently caress him. gently caress them. More food for the flowers.

Speaking of the flowers,

Something is coming. From across the sea, something is coming. I can feel it sometimes. The flowers slow it down, but it's coming. We need more flowers. Something is coming. Something is coming. Something is coming something is coming somethingiscomingsomethingiscomingso

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 5, 2015

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PoultryGeist posted:

after some thought i don't think i have it in me for a pbp game, i'm outie

good luck!

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

PoultryGeist posted:

Raven: Well aren’t we Ms. Fancypants. You may have been big out in The Beyond, but Baysiders only care about what you do here. Speaking of which, what was the first gig you worked once you arrived?

Only a handful of places that don't hold itself up and say, you may have done it there, but can you do it here? And those that don't, it's because they're right by some place harder and scarier. I don't mind though. Every place I've been, I've left with my name on everyone's lips. The lower I start, the higher I fly in the end.

Off to a good start here. The Proprietor at Cliff House had me out for dinner, trying to prove she could match the owner of the Last Comely House for opulence and taste. I had to be honest when she asked - Cliff House comes close. Very close. But the Marquis of the Wastes still holds first place. So she said to me, what does he not have that? What could he never have, that she could hold over him? And I looked out over that Bay, and I grinned. Because the Last Comely House is high in the mountains.

So my crew and I stole down to the shore, across the bridge in Oakland, right under the Last Chancer's noses, and into London Square. Tricked them into thinking Dread up in Compton had sent trouble their way, and in the confusion, we made off with the Potomac. Some great warlord's yacht, from what Merlin says, from before the Last Days, back down to a great war long forgotten. Whatever it once was, it was a fine ship. Rusty and worn, but still floating, and still with the memory of greatness.

The Proprietor is fixing it up now. By next summer, when she debuts it, it'll be the talk of West. And they'll sing songs about how it came to be hers.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

PoultryGeist posted:

Mr. Smith: Oh hi Mr. Smith, its, err, nice to see you? Now, looking in other’s heads is you thing, for fun or money. So what’s the worst, holy-poo poo-that’s-big secret you’ve pulled out of someone’s brainmeats?

You know the real reason Boss Keeler's hold on the Bridge fell apart overnight? Rolfball found out he was fuckin' Bish. I'll let you guess as to who I yanked that out of.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Sunflower: Hey Sunflower, you’re what I like to call a man of action. While The Teacher is generally a sit-down, talk-it-out type. How did the two of you cross paths?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

It's funny! I knew the Teacher before he ran Coffintown. I mean, Coffintown was there, but Teach didn't run it. Teach didn't like the way that Hristos was running Coffintown, but he didn't say anything, not out loud. Hristos, you remember him? He was a real rear end in a top hat. So Hristos ran Coffintown like it was his toy. hosed with people. People didn't like it, but everyone was afraid of Hristos' guys. They mainly left me alone though. I don't get a lot of visitors in my field. Especially when some guys Hristos sent didn't come back. So we largely just kept to ourselves.

So the Teacher just kept quiet and took Hristos' poo poo. Until he didn't.

You remember the night, right? I bet you do. The Teacher had planned a surprise. Took a couple years of getting ready, I think. Boom boom boom. His guys splashed Hristos' guys. Never saw it coming. In a couple hours, all Hristos' guys were deaded, and Teach was in charge of Coffintown. Missed Hristos though.

I was one of Teach's guys that night. It was a real messy night. Real red. Cutting throats. Cracking skulls. Pretty okay time.

So that's how come the Teacher and I have a good relationship. And that's why people walk light around the Teacher. Even if he's talking and sitting down, no one knows if he's got another night like that cocked and ready to go.

What? What do you mean, 'that wasn't funny'?

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 7, 2015

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
So just a reminder that apps close on Friday the 10th. We've got a bunch of awesome apps so far, but fence-sitters are more than welcome to still throw their hat in the ring.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Patience has never been my strong suit, so while we wait to see if anyone else throws in, how about some random info?

A rough outline map of the area, with some districts MC-created or suggested by/mentioned in apps:

Districts of the Gold Bay
The Haights - Can’t get any higher than here. Luxe district, home of the old-old-really old money
Wharf - Largest working dock on the Bay, home of the Wharf Market
Heap/Jumble - In the Before, they built their buildings up to the sky. And then the Big One knocked them all down. Lots of salvage
Northwood - Area’s gone back to nature in a big way, tales of creepy hidden villages
Isle of the Watch Eternal - Ancient fortress, HQ of the Order of the Knights Vigilant. No Visitors
Baybridge - East-West bridge across the Bay. Open-fire zone between opposing toll-lords
The Berk - Wild zone between the Bay and the Wastes. The Uni and The Order have a cold-war for control
Soakland - Mostly flooded after the Big One. Home of the Coliseum and Last Chance Flotilla
Lycon Valley - Ruins at the end of South Fork where the electronica/hitech grows on trees. Is dangerous now
Isla Angela - The first piece of the Sky fell here, turning a quiet farming community into a haunted island

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

PoultryGeist posted:

Patience has never been my strong suit, so while we wait to see if anyone else throws in, how about some random info?

Awesome!
Just for my own sake of clarity, I colored your map to distinguish water/land.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

nice!

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Whoa cool, that's a lot of territory. Someone should app a Driver. A Mariner!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
Doctor Emdey, The Angel

(I'm always bad at finding a good photo reference, so I just tossed the closest thing I could find into Illustrator so here's hoping this is EVOCATIVE!)

fig 1 ~ Doctor from one her more 'wild' times, she misses that mohawk some days but has decided it is far too unprofessional

Character Sheet posted:

Look:
Woman, scrounge wear plus utility, pretty face, hard eyes, compact body

Stats:
Cool+1, Hard+1, Hot=0, Sharp+2, Weird-1

Angel Moves:
Infirmary: you get an infirmary, a workspace with life support, a drug lab, and a crew of 2 (R.N. and P.A.). Get patients into it and you can work on them like a savvyhead on tech

Professional compassion: you can choose to roll+sharp instead of roll+Hx when you help someone who's rolling

Hx:
JJ-2
Luka+0
Mr. Smith-2
Raven+0

Gear:
angel kit (this one's a doozy)
Your angel kit has all kinds of crap in it: scissors, rags, tape, needles, clamps, gloves, chill coils, wipes, alcohol, injectable tourniquets & bloodslower, instant blood packets (coffee reddener), tubes of meatmesh, bonepins & site injectors, biostabs, chemostabs, narcostabs (chillstabs) in quantity, and a roll of heart jumpshock patches for when it comes to that. It’s big enough to fill the trunk of a car. When you use it, spend its stock; you can spend 0–3 of its stock per use. You can resupply it for 1-barter per 2-stock, if your circumstances let you barter for medical supplies.
It begins play holding 6-stock.
To use it to stabilize and heal someone at 9:00 or past: roll+stock spent. On a hit, they will stabilize and heal to 6:00, but the MC will choose 1 (on a 10+) or 2 (on a 7–9):
• they need to be physically stabilized before you can move them.
• even narcostabbed, they fight you; you’re acting under fire.
• they’ll be in and out of consciousness for 24 hours.
• stabilizing them eats up your stock; spend 1-stock more.
• they’ll be bedridden, out of action, for at least a week.
• they’ll need constant monitoring and care for 36 hours.
On a miss, they take 1-harm instead.
To use it to speed the recovery of someone at 3:00 or 6:00: don’t roll. ey choose: spend 4 days (3:00) or 1 week (6:00) blissed out on chillstabs, immobile but happy, or do their time like everyone else.
To use it to revive someone who’s died (at 12:00, not beyond): roll+stock spent. On a 10+, they recover to 10:00. On a 7–9, they recover to 11:00. On a miss, you’ve done everything you can for them, and they’re still dead.

stun gun(s-harm hand reload)

oddments worth 1-barter

fashion suitable to your look: white(but quite stained/dirty) dress pants with a stark black belt, athletic t-shirt under a thin and mangy old sweater, PRISTINE white lab coat with "Doctor MD" lovingly hand-stitched into the breast pocket and modified to have several extra pockets sewn on the inside, comfortable sneakers with mismatched white athletic socks, large utility belt with a variety of scavenged pouches.

Bio
Doctor is at her core a healer of men (men as in humanity, she doesn’t discriminate) doing her best to make a living sewing up and drugging out the dreks of society who manage to get themselves shot or the unlucky who catch whatever superbugs some hot food and rest won’t fix. There’s a lot of those floating around these days, Crimson Fever, Scalp Rot, The Shiver-shakes, the list goes on. While this is a great way to get paid and curry favor with basically anyone for a person smart and skilled enough to do it, she also has a more philosophical view of practicing medicine. She is trying to use ancient techniques (50 odd years being pretty ancient to her) to improve the world as a whole, maybe bringing us back to that golden era before whatever the gently caress made the world into what it is now.

RN and PA are Doctor's assistants, she found conflicting information on exactly what her namesake had for proteges or helpers so she is trying to teach both of them independently of each other to get the best of both worlds for her practice. She tries to bring PA up the same way she learned, which is trying to figure out (diagnose, as they say) what's wrong then do whatever it takes to fix it. RN is more for figuring out what the patient needs then meeting those needs, which will then hopefully fix whatever's wrong since those needs are probably related to what's broken. They get pretty catty with each other but Doctor respects them both equally in theory. RN is short and stocky but not exactly well-defined (Doctor likes to calculate his BMI from a chart she found once from week to week and he's always upset) and PA is a bit more average build but stands out as he doesn't seem to have any hair (Having given him an exam now and again Doctor knows for a fact he has none) and baffles most people as to how/why it happened. No one is really sure. She generally refers to them as "the guys" until she can think of a more professional term.

In the old times, there was this really super guy. He was clean all the time, and wearing white clothes made this awfully difficult to maintain, he had a gigantic house that had over a THOUSAND beds in it (how big was his family?), and had only the best electronica and other hi-tech crazy stuff. They only found some of it and most of it didn’t work, but the stuff that did let me tell you! They say some of it could pull a gun out of your hand at 10 paces, one place would make your hair fall out and fall down dead in under a minute, and the drugs! Oh the drugs. This place was pure magic...Of course it’s real! I’ve got some loot from there! My grandad gave me a few things and I’ve been trading for other artifacts all over the bay. I mean none of the scavs actually got it themselves per se, one guy said he did but wouldn’t tell me where it was, but I mean it just makes sense that it HAD to come from there! Grandad says he actually met the guy and since apparently my parents died before they could name me, he figured he’d name me after that super cool guy: Doctor Emdey. I dropped the middle name ‘cause it sounded weird, and most people don’t even have last names so I figured 3 was pushing it. Oh, are you waking up? Sorry, I have to watch you the whole time you’re under and I get bored so I like to talk to you guys. I, uh, usually finish before you wake back up. How were you going to be paying today?

Someone I Like:

Gonad, besides his frankly gross name, is overall a great resource to have around the bay. He's primarily a merchant and deals in just about everything, Doctor and him have a great relationship in that he seems to have a real knack for getting her the drugs she needs: rare and common, gel-caps, stabs, auto-inejctors, inhalers, sprays, you name it. He's very secretive in his sources but is probably looting several different places that must be real gold mines. He seems pretty frail (for what you can actually see of his body) and has an obvious smoker's cough but he refuses even discounted medical care. On the bright side his back muscles must be godlike.

Someone I Don't' Like:

J-Blast on the other hand only has a stupid nickname that he refuses to change, and even worse it's one of those ones where he gave it to himself. You can't do that! Either your parents...or grandparents name you or a nickname occurs naturally you can't force it. Ugh, I hate that guy. He used to hang around the practice trying to get drugs out of me our my guys, then he graduated into robbing my patients at knife-point as they left. The second the flap out of our ER closed he would have the knife in their face and talk a big game about needing their prescriptions. He sells them to afford those ridiculous body mods, and to be honest it scares me that there's someone with the skills to get all that metal and color in his face that's willing to work with the guy. The only scarier thing is if he actually got some cronies, or any sway in the bay at all.

Campfire Story
PA used to be juiced up on some uppers basically 24/7 before we tied him down and forced him to quit one day. It was mostly for his own good but was difficult since he did a lot of good work at times when me and RN had to actually sleep. He swears up and down the bay that one night a guy came in, androgynous but he calls everyone 'some guy', complaining of some pretty nasty abdominal pain. PA did a pretty normal exam and the guy had a crazy high fever and the spot he said the pain came from was really swollen. He didn't wake either of us up and took it upon himself to operate, assuming something had ruptured this was the right move but still, and just opened him up starting from the swollen bit. Now at this point we start to wonder what exactly he was dosing himself with, as he says the second he pierced the skin the guy's painful spot deflated like a balloon and a ton of noxious smelling gas came out. The guy basically deflated from that spot outwards and in a panic PA got his hands up in there and he swears on his life that he got up to his elbow before he found ANYTHING inside that guy's guts. This mysterious stranger was, pardon my language, loving empty. PA says he 'freaked the gently caress out' when the guy sat up while his arms were still mostly inside of him and when he was trying to pull himself away from the operating table the guy dusted himself off, like you do, and walked out. Didn't even get sewn up. PA didn't see it, but we even found some jingle he'd left on his way out.

I mean I don't believe him, but I do wonder every time I bring someone under my scalpel that I might not find what I expect. That nightmare I have about organs made of insects doesn't help either.

Bear Enthusiast fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 12, 2015

• Locked thread