Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

SedanChair posted:

Do you have any evidence that this kid was in a gang? Why would his crime spree prompt you to conclude he was in a gang?

The guy's 17 years old carjacking people and shooting at grannies, it's a reasonable assumption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SedanChair posted:

Do you have any evidence that this kid was in a gang? Why would his crime spree prompt you to conclude he was in a gang?

Look, we don't need to let facts get in the way of making assumptions about a dead kid that allow us to be upset at people we don't like, over the internet. Really, just raw anger is enough.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kaal posted:

Lol you are so out of touch with the 21st century. These photos are just some idiot kid trying to impress his buddies. But it's hilarious that he apparently didn't take any other kind of photo.

You should probably tell this to your fellow reactionaries who are pissing their pants so hard they can barely type.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

semper wifi posted:

The guy's 17 years old carjacking people and shooting at grannies, it's a reasonable assumption.

And a "gangbanger" doesn't have to actually be in a gang. To be fair, he was also getting into trouble with the law at 15 and 16, and probably before that. I mean character-wise he's pretty easy to trash. He walked into the hospital with an ankle monitor because of getting into fights. But the truth is that I knew lots of people as a kid who got into trouble with the law one way or another. That aspect of his life doesn't really bother me much, outside of how it negatively impacted the success rate of the transplantation as compared to another candidate.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

"Things Not to Post on Facebook" should really be a required course the first year of high school.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 246 days!

semper wifi posted:

Who should make it if not a doctor (I think it was some kind of medical board in this case)? They're the ones charged with responsibility here, and someone has to make the call. And in this case overriding the doctor's decision meant this piece of garbage took a heart that should have gone to someone worthwhile.

As far as a doctor is concerned, factors such as social and economic status cannot ethically factor into treatment decisions. That is a matter of ethics, and is the subject of oaths taken as a doctor.

It may be obvious to you that he was a "piece of trash," but the doctor looked at a kid with a juvie record and bad grades and decided that this was sufficient cause to deny lifesaving treatment.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Kaal posted:

And a "gangbanger" doesn't have to actually be in a gang.

No, not at all. In fact there's just one thing that's needed for people to call a kid a gangbanger. Can you scry what it is?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Rent-A-Cop posted:

"Things Not to Post on Facebook" should really be a required course the first year of high school.

That's called parenting and actually paying attention to what your kids do with the computer and their phones.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Hodgepodge posted:

It may be obvious to you that he was a "piece of trash," but the doctor looked at a kid with a juvie record and bad grades and decided that this was sufficient cause to deny lifesaving treatment.

Are you planning on simply repeating this over and over in the hopes that you'll make it true? There is no evidence that the doctors did anything of the kind. The only information available is that the board denied him access to the waiting list due to a history of noncompliance, and then later put him on the waiting list after the parents and a Christian organization spearheaded a public outcry. If we're at the point in the thread where posters just start stating opinions as fact for a lack of insight or further information then the thread has truly taken its course.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 246 days!

Kaal posted:

Again, [Citation Needed]. Unless you're just quoting the parents, who made that accusation to attract the media but never substantiated it in any way.

The hospital sent the parents a letter explaining the decision.

quote:

Are you seriously suggesting that religious organizations should be getting involved in medical policy? Should people start getting wealthy patrons to ensure they have access to medical care? Exactly how far back do you want to turn the clock on progressive ideals in your quest to defend this kid?

Um yes? Religious organizations were prominent opponents of eugenics, for example, and I don't see any reason why religious organizations should be barred from public advocacy.

You seem to think there is some fundamental opposition between religion and progressive politics. That assumption is ignorant.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Kaal posted:

Are you planning on simply repeating this over and over in the hopes that you'll make it true? There is no evidence that the doctors did anything of the kind. The only information available is that the board denied him access to the waiting list due to a history of noncompliance, and then later put him on the waiting list after the parents and a Christian organization spearheaded a public outcry. If we're at the point in the thread where posters just start stating opinions as fact for a lack of insight or further information then the thread has truly taken its course.

Do you think "noncompliance" in some way foretold his crimes? Do you think it proves anything that he committed crimes after receiving the transplant?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Hodgepodge posted:

The hospital sent the parents a letter explaining the decision.

Yes and the letter states clearly that the decision was based on a history of non-compliance. Here's the letter: http://genius.com/2091762/Childrens...-non-compliance

Hodgepodge posted:

Um yes? Religious organizations were prominent opponents of eugenics, for example, and I don't see any reason why religious organizations should be barred from public advocacy. You seem to think there is some fundamental opposition between religion and progressive politics. That assumption is ignorant.

Well I don't share your faith in the benefits of religious intimidation and theocratic favoritism. Strong-arming a hospital to select a specific patient in lieu of another goes way beyond "public advocacy".

Kaal fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 5, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kaal posted:

Yes and the letter states clearly that the decision was based on a history of non-compliance. Here's the letter: http://genius.com/2091762/Childrens...-non-compliance

Which was an incorrect prediction, since he obviously complied with his medication if he could be that physically active two years later

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

Which was an incorrect prediction, since he obviously complied with his medication if he could be that physically active two years later
"Physically active" is one way to describe a crime spree.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Why did no one listen to the doctors when they predicted he would die in a crime spree and refused the transplant on that basis?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

He's not physically active now due to his decisions.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Baron Porkface posted:

He's not physically active now due to his decisions.

Which were not the basis for denying him the transplant.

You just want to go back and read what happened later into the doctor's decision.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

Which were not the basis for denying him the transplant.

You just want to go back and read what happened later into the doctor's decision.

I never said it was the basis. Your projecting is really obnoxious.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 246 days!

Kaal posted:

In which case they were merely incorrect, since it turns out that he took his medications fine.

quote:

Well I don't share your faith in the benefits of religious intimidation and theocratic favoritism. Strong-arming a hospital to select a specific patient in lieu of another goes way beyond "public advocacy".

This is clueless and melodramatic. Seriously, get a grip and learn a little about civil society.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Baron Porkface posted:

I never said it was the basis. Your projecting is really obnoxious.

Then explain the relevance.

The doctors rejected him because they worried he would not comply with his medication. This prediction was wrong. The fact that he died committing a crime two years later isn't really relevant to what happened during treatment.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

What are you guys arguing about at this point? He was rejected for reasons, those reasons were contested, and he got on the list.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Motto posted:

That's called parenting and actually paying attention to what your kids do with the computer, their guns, and their phones.
Fixed that for you.

Where the gently caress did this kid even get a gun at anyways?

Motto posted:

What are you guys arguing about at this point? He was rejected for reasons, those reasons were contested, and he got on the list.

Some people think that we should judge whether someone gets a transplant based on a matter of opinion rather than an assessment on whether the transplant is likely to be rejected/health risks. Cue bullshit about how some posters think we should judge people's transplant status on their worth to society along with a number of other batshit remarks.

Honestly, this thread went to some weird places.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 5, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Motto posted:

There are two implicit or explicit talking points crypto-racists are relying on right now:

1) He was a thug and didn't deserve the heart; white doctors chose wisely and dispassionately but were overruled by pop-eyed, raving blacks

2) He wouldn't have gotten the heart if it hadn't been for the black mafia Sharpton brigade; a white person would have been denied the heart

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
I wish Stokes was white so this thread could be in GBS where it belongs.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

VitalSigns posted:

The doctors rejected him because they worried he would not comply with his medication. This prediction was wrong. The fact that he died committing a crime two years later isn't really relevant to what happened during treatment.

They rejected him for having a history of non-compliance, not any sort of prediction. People have been booted off the transplant list for less.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Typical Pubbie posted:

I wish Stokes was white so this thread could be in GBS where it belongs.

why would there be a thread tho

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Volkerball posted:

He is a good example of a person to laugh at and has some funny pictures up on the internet to mock.

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

SedanChair posted:

There are two implicit or explicit talking points crypto-racists are relying on right now:

1) He was a thug and didn't deserve the heart; white doctors chose wisely and dispassionately but were overruled by pop-eyed, raving blacks

2) He wouldn't have gotten the heart if it hadn't been for the black mafia Sharpton brigade; a white person would have been denied the heart

Both of these talking points are objectively correct (minus the hyperbole), though. He was denied for legitimate reasons (not taking his prescriptions previously, failing school, being in trouble with the law) and then after the story blew up with a "troubled black teen denied heart by racists" headline, the decision was reversed. If he were white there wouldn't have been any publicity at all. Also, last I heard, his race wasn't even disclosed to the people who decided his eligibility (initially).

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

He got public support because he was a child and the public responds to pictures of cute kids on TV. Parents of all races have used and do use the exact same tactics to get support to overrule a hospital's decision and I even posted an example earlier.

That you think white guilt is the only reason people will have sympathy for a black child is...strange, at best.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

semper wifi posted:

Both of these talking points are objectively correct (minus the hyperbole), though. He was denied for legitimate reasons (not taking his prescriptions previously, failing school, being in trouble with the law) and then after the story blew up with a "troubled black teen denied heart by racists" headline, the decision was reversed. If he were white there wouldn't have been any publicity at all. Also, last I heard, his race wasn't even disclosed to the people who decided his eligibility (initially).

Yes, thank you. I figured if I wrote it that way I could get people to agree with it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

semper wifi posted:

If he were white there wouldn't have been any publicity at all.

so close... yet so far...

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Rename thread to "rear end in a top hat Dies Being an rear end in a top hat: Racists Unfortunately Proved Right"

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Volkerball posted:

GBS needs someone undeniably worse than they are to make themselves feel better, but they'd make do with this dead kid.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 246 days!

Effectronica posted:

GBS needs someone undeniably worse than they are to make themselves feel better, but they'd make do with this dead kid.

I'm pretty sure the peak GBS version would be an obese neckbeard furry who died post-op while loving a Rainbow Dash plushie.

Bonus points if he also posed like a gangster in FB photos.

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Rename thread to "rear end in a top hat Dies Being an rear end in a top hat: Racists Unfortunately Proved Right"
Racist basically use this as grounds for denying all people of color healthcare so not sure where you're going with this.

Actually I would like any racist to work a shift in any ER or any Clinic/Hospital to see the sheer amount of unmitigated stupidity that walks through its doors. It wont change their minds but it might make them less likely to think that white people are any less prone to being scumbags or incalculably stupid.

tezcat fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Apr 5, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is there a "report thread" button?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Shooting the elderly and wrapping your car around a tree doesn't make you a gangster, it makes you a congressman

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
It seems recently that anyone who browses the internet on a regular basis will have an encyclopedic knowledge of every black criminal and the crimes they committed recently. I'm not sure why this is something that's worth discussing because there's probably a lot of scumbag white people who have squandered donated organs. How many white people (a group predisposed to alcoholism either through poor culture and/or genetics) get a liver transplant and then blow through that one by going back to hitting the bottle?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I wish the OP had waited a bit before sharing the FB pictures of the guy.
The reactions from posters defending the kid would have been even funnier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

They would have been, but racists tend to have a problem holding back where pictures of scary blacks are concerned.

• Locked thread