Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
If Chelsea are interested in Clyne why not also go after promising young fullback Ryan Bertrand? Would be a major coup to land such a fantastic pair of defenders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Shoren posted:

If Chelsea are interested in Clyne why not also go after promising young fullback Ryan Bertrand? Would be a major coup to land such a fantastic pair of defenders.

Agreed, a young player with a CL title would be quite the addition for Chelsea.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Shoren posted:

It's almost like they play different positions.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Shrapnig posted:

It's almost like they play different positions.

I can't read but gently caress editing posts.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
Southampton are going to be gutted again this summer manager included and still be cool and good next season

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Shoren posted:

Mourinho's penchant for disliking a player for no reason is probably my #2 issue with him as a manager. #1 of course is the all stupid poo poo he says.

I would guess most Chelsea supporters feel the same way. And like me most probably would've preferred to keep Bertrand and not have bought Felipe Luis.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
I'd guess that most Chelsea fans don't give a poo poo as long as the trophies keep rolling in

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Blue Star Error posted:

I'd guess that most Chelsea fans don't give a poo poo as long as the trophies keep rolling in

This. Chelsea can be poo poo as long as everyone else are bigger shits.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
The article mentions that buying Clyne would allow Ivanovich to play CB which could also be done if Azpi played his natural position instead of LB.

But I think Iva has forgotten how to play CB by this point.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

hadji murad posted:

But I think Iva has forgotten how to play CB by this point.

He was pretty solid last year when he had to fill in at CB. It's not ideal but it doesn't really worry me any.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Crunkjuice posted:

He was pretty solid last year when he had to fill in at CB. It's not ideal but it doesn't really worry me any.

True but they still need to bring in another CB - I wouldn't want to go forward as Terry enters his dotage with only Zouma and Iva. So allowing Iva to move to CB solves maybe half of the issue.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

JohnCompany posted:

True but they still need to bring in another CB - I wouldn't want to go forward as Terry enters his dotage with only Zouma and Iva. So allowing Iva to move to CB solves maybe half of the issue.

tbf Gary Cahill is pretty forgettable

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Ivanovich's ramblings have hurt Cahill who has to cover for him. But Zouma has looked better than Cahill when he's started. Still we need a top CB to replace Terry and it would be best to do it this season (probably with Varane) who can play alongside and learn from JT.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
There's no way that Chelsea get Varane...right?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Mourinho's penchant for disliking a player for no reason is probably my #2 issue with him as a manager. #1 of course is the all stupid poo poo he says.

I would guess most Chelsea supporters feel the same way. And like me most probably would've preferred to keep Bertrand and not have bought Felipe Luis.

Yeah I'm still not sure what we gained there.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Dossena was arrested for shoplifting from Harrods lol

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.

Ravel posted:

Wait for it

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Ravel posted:

This isn't the League One thread!

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Southampton are going to be gutted again this summer manager included and still be cool and good next season

This is extremely my poo poo and I am looking forward to us being gutted then finishing the season thereabouts the same...maybe a position lower after we still never invest in squad depth

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Alex_R posted:

This is extremely my poo poo and I am looking forward to us being gutted then finishing the season thereabouts the same...maybe a position lower after we still never invest in squad depth

It's hard to invest in squad depth when you have to replace half your first team every season.

Also, investing in squad depth instead of replacing your key departing players isn't always a good thing, just look at Liverpool or Spurs.

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

vyelkin posted:

It's hard to invest in squad depth when you have to replace half your first team every season.

Also, investing in squad depth instead of replacing your key departing players isn't always a good thing, just look at Liverpool or Spurs.

Oh I know, we've been super lucky the last few years and it will run out. I'm just enjoying it while I can. Schneiderlin is definitely off without a doubt and I can't fault him for that, I'm just glad that we are doing OK financially and will reap the sweet rewards of the new TV deal etc , even if it does keep us as a mid table team

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
BBC reporting Chelsea have bid for Muto.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/32230300

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
It didn't make sense to me until I read this:

quote:

In February, Premier League leaders Chelsea announced a new shirt sponsorship deal with a Japanese tyre manufacturer worth a reported £40m a year.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Arsenal definitely need a CDM, its the glaring position that needs covered, coq or not. I really don't see Cech coming in though and who the hell else is available that is better than the current two keepers?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

T Bowl posted:

Arsenal definitely need a CDM, its the glaring position that needs covered, coq or not. I really don't see Cech coming in though and who the hell else is available that is better than the current two keepers?

I don't think a defensive midfielder as glaring. Coq has been excellent, but it would be good to have more options.

Szcz is gone in the summer so a new keeper is a must.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Fabianski has been great this year and I think he could really step up at a big club like Arsenal.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

blue footed boobie posted:

I don't think a defensive midfielder as glaring. Coq has been excellent, but it would be good to have more options.

Szcz is gone in the summer so a new keeper is a must.

As a fellow plastic Arsenal fan, I figure you'd realize by now 1 player per position does things like gently caress us out of a chance for the title?!?!?!

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Neur will get bored of having nothing to do at Bayern and will join arsenal for a free in the summer.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

T Bowl posted:

As a fellow plastic Arsenal fan, I figure you'd realize by now 1 player per position does things like gently caress us out of a chance for the title?!?!?!

Arteta's still alive tbf. Buying another defensive midfielder will definitely improve the team, but it's not like other years when wengy went into the season desperately short on defenders.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Arteta isn't a CDM and should be a squad player coming on late/for cup games tbh. He's kinda past it. Want to win big things? Arteta shouldn't be important to the team anymore.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Bea Nanner posted:

BBC reporting Chelsea have bid for Muto.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/32230300

If he's smart he'll stay put. He's only 22 and if he goes to Chelsea now that'll pretty much ruin his career.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
It's not like the J-League is a great incubator of talent and Chelsea will be financially pressured to play him.

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp
Unless you're an Eden Hazard level 22 year old going to Chelsea is a terrible idea (and it is even if you're an Eden Hazard level 22 year old, because they are loving cunts)

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
The Japanese are a patient, quiet people that will happily sit on the bench waiting for their chance, constantly surveilling their horizontal landscape.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

blue footed boobie posted:

Arteta's still alive tbf. Buying another defensive midfielder will definitely improve the team, but it's not like other years when wengy went into the season desperately short on defenders.

Arsenal players are notoriously mercurial, especially young ones. Wilshere, Ramsey, Nasri, Song, Verm, Adebayor, Rosicky, Walcott, Giroud, Woj, Gibbs, Clichy, Sagna, and more all looked world class one day and then a liability the next. Many of them managed to regain their form and show that they are quality.

So you should be aware that the same is likely to happen to Coquelin.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Wilshere, Ramsey, Nasri, Song, Verm, Adebayor, Rosicky, Walcott, Giroud, Woj, Gibbs, Clichy, Sagna

Most of these are wrong fwiw.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Akileese posted:

If he's smart he'll stay put. He's only 22 and if he goes to Chelsea now that'll pretty much ruin his career.

Oh please, name 15 young players whose careers have been derailed by going to Chelsea too early :rolleyes:

rats off to ya
Jul 22, 2008

Obviously would have preferred to keep Bertrand but he wasn't about to sit the bench for another season when he could be (and now is) starting at another PL club. To replace him we bought an expensive (with our shitloads of cash isn't a problem) LB that could compete for the starting job and improve depth without having a player who whines about riding the bench (yet).

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

TheBigAristotle posted:

Oh please, name 15 young players whose careers have been derailed by going to Chelsea too early :rolleyes:

No you're right. He's better off going there and immediately being loaned out to the dutch league for a decade and never even touching the bench for Chelsea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
You'd think Chelsea would go for Honda if they were being pressured to have a marketable Japanese face wearing a Yokohama Tire sponsored shirt.

• Locked thread