Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Marcus seems older than Chris, I dunno. Or maybe he's just led a hard life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kai Tave posted:

Marcus seems older than Chris, I dunno. Or maybe he's just led a hard life.

Or maybe the people who did the models and the one who did the story and the one who did the drawings had little/no contact with each other.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

The Kins posted:

Let's put it this way. The game was started around 2011 (first public mention) by a Finnish studio (same guys that made this apparently) but in 2013 the game was taken away from them by their publisher on account of blowing too many deadlines, and as such it was handed over to the Two Worlds guys. Cut forward to January 2015 and the game's release.

This game took two partially-competent development studios and four-ish long, troublesome years to make. This should give you a decent clue as to how and why the end result could be so hilariously rough. Sort of like Ride to Hell, I guess!

Has there ever been a game that switched teams mid development and was actually good? The only ones I know of are really bad, like Thi4f and DNF.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The Kins posted:

Let's put it this way. The game was started around 2011 (first public mention) by a Finnish studio (same guys that made this apparently) but in 2013 the game was taken away from them by their publisher on account of blowing too many deadlines, and as such it was handed over to the Two Worlds guys. Cut forward to January 2015 and the game's release.

This game took two partially-competent development studios and four-ish long, troublesome years to make. This should give you a decent clue as to how and why the end result could be so hilariously rough. Sort of like Ride to Hell, I guess!

Ride to Hell looks like a polished masterpiece compared to this.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Hel posted:

Has there ever been a game that switched teams mid development and was actually good? The only ones I know of are really bad, like Thi4f and DNF.
CS:GO was co-developed with another studio that left after the game was released, so they weren't involved in all the post-release content that made the game way better. That probably doesn't count, though... :v:

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

steinrokkan posted:

Ride to Hell looks like a polished masterpiece compared to this.
Nah, let's not go overboard with how little we've seen so far.

although the "violence against women" protagonist crap is a rather ambitious follow up to R2H's "fully clothed hump every women in the game" kind of hatefulness, so i can see where you're coming from.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Nah, let's not go overboard with how little we've seen so far.

although the "violence against women" protagonist crap is a rather ambitious follow up to R2H's "fully clothed hump every women in the game" kind of hatefulness, so i can see where you're coming from.

I lost interest after they posted this HILARIOUS shanty (worst part is at 1:29):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVCnkso1Ipc

and couldn't be more happy that the game is a flaming pile of garbage that hopefully sinks both its dev studio and Topware as a whole.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

gschmidl posted:

I lost interest after they posted this HILARIOUS shanty (worst part is at 1:29):

I hate videogames now.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

gschmidl posted:

and couldn't be more happy that the game is a flaming pile of garbage that hopefully sinks both its dev studio and Topware as a whole.

I take issue with the colloquialisms employed in this game. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe pirates used these terms:
-rear end in a top hat
-Dick
-Emoji
-Fart face
-Ta-ta's
-Family jewels
-Nerfherder
-Jacking it
-Beej

judge reinhold fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Apr 11, 2015

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

gschmidl posted:

Why hasn't a mass produced CD been made for this yet?! This song is awesome! Lol.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Wow. You know, I was actually thinking no, Ride to Hell is worse than this game, even though this is a glitchy mess of bad design decisions strung together with scotch tape and wire. I think that song ruined What Shall We Do With The Drunken Sailor entirely for me now.

judge reinhold posted:

I take issue with the colloquialisms employed in this game. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe pirates used these terms:

Pirates in the 17th century Caribbean wouldn't have been singing that song in the first place, since it wouldn't exist for at least another hundred years or so.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The lyrics are really lazy. Even for a 13-year-old's rewrite.

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012

gschmidl posted:

If you feel you may be unable to handle 2rude4school lyrics, please watch this video instead to receive a similar secondhand shame experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBkFaM0DAH8

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

gschmidl posted:

... I take back anything positive I had to say about this game. That was loving terrible.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

gschmidl posted:

Hey Ride to Hell, I'm sorry for drawing comparisons to you earlier.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

They should have simply recorded a cover of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfHCxIiZ_4M

or...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLNdMY1JlR0

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FOtFHF5WdQ was always my favourite.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Hel posted:

I asked a friend about this and he suggested Killer Instinct 2013, which was passed from Double Helix after the first season over to Iron Galaxy... apparently they've been doing quite well with it?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

The Kins posted:

I asked a friend about this and he suggested Killer Instinct 2013, which was passed from Double Helix after the first season over to Iron Galaxy... apparently they've been doing quite well with it?

Sure, but isn't that still after release.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

Hel posted:

Sure, but isn't that still after release.

Metal Gear Rising counts right?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

While I'm sure pirates had their own bawdy songs, I'm sure even they had more class than that. Christ I would have at least used innuendos instead of actual explicit lyrics. At least that woulda been kinda funny.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

croutonZA posted:

Metal Gear Rising counts right?

That's probably as close as we're going to get, though AFAIK platinum used nothing from the original MGR team.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They were probably aiming for a Good Ship Venus tone, and missed.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

SSNeoman posted:

While I'm sure pirates had their own bawdy songs, I'm sure even they had more class than that. Christ I would have at least used innuendos instead of actual explicit lyrics. At least that woulda been kinda funny.

YouTube is going 'ape' over it!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I could not find Lucy.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Suspicious Dish posted:

I could not find Lucy.

She's there, they just forgot to program her to make her visible.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I tend to differentiate between "bawdy" and "uses a shitload of dirty words for no reason other than being thirteen years old".

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Suspicious Dish posted:

I could not find Lucy.

You have to prepare to go beyond using 10% of your brain in order to see Lucy.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
This game is the Two Worlds 2 that Two Worlds 2 was too afraid to be.

I'm pretty sure they even got the same VA for the protagonist. :allears:

gschmidl posted:

Oh man, just listen to that guy trying to make the Lucy/pussy rhyme work.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Wizard Styles posted:

Oh man, just listen to that guy trying to make the Lucy/pussy rhyme work.

He's got a good grandpa tone. You can hear the dentures disconnecting as he hits those "s" sounds. However the subject matter makes him a bad grandpa.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

SSNeoman posted:

It's practically on the level of a fraternity or frosh chant.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

judge reinhold posted:

YouTube is going 'ape' over it!

Okay, fess up, which one of these is Anthony, and is this why he is out of the coffee men?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Anthony is the Obsolete Gamer, who has split from the Coffee Men on account of his two million followers on Google+.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
George Formby would spin in his grave.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I have that guy's grill. It cooks burgers pretty well.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
No you're thinking of George Lazenby. The famous window washer.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
Last time on Raven's Cry, we docked in the mysterious Bridgetown. We visited a brothel where we got some information about our next objective, one "Santorio". It seems a local widow has a necessary flag for us to use in order to reach Santorio's island paradise. We left the brothel after leaving a steak knife in a guy's hand as two men jogged in the background (great sex tip they read in Cosmo). Can we achieve this next thing to do? Is the flag too wrinkled to be useful? Watch and find out!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Dev console left accessible through gamepad controls? An A++ sign of a quality game that's appealing to the modding market.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I dunno if weed was a trade good in the 1700s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
^^George Washington had a cannabis farm and smoked it as well.^^

• Locked thread