Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Bluedeanie posted:

I've seen Clay Guida live tragically. Granted it was in Chicago, but the crowd absolutely seemed enthusiastic and cheered for him.

Yeah I don't doubt there's a shitload of fans out there who love the poo poo out of Clay Guida because...well I still can't figure this one out.

I had a huge viewing party for the first UFC on Fox card and when we were watching Bendo/Guida like more than 3/4 of the people I was with thought Guida won the fight somehow :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

My brother knows almost nothing about the ufc and clay guida is his favorite fighter because he seems like a guy he'd meet at a construction site. The nickname "the carpenter" probably helps with this. Why people not in the trades love clay guida is still to be determined but there is one possible sliver of it.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
I am all for hating on Clay Guida but his fight on Saturday was probably one of his best fights. He's especially entertaining when he's losing but that was about as cool of a Clay Guida winning fight as you could hope for.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

One of my favourite UFC memories was watching UFC 107 at a pub where a bunch of people were cheering for Guida and then KenFlo flattened him. :twisted:

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Best Friends posted:

My brother knows almost nothing about the ufc and clay guida is his favorite fighter because he seems like a guy he'd meet at a construction site. The nickname "the carpenter" probably helps with this. Why people not in the trades love clay guida is still to be determined but there is one possible sliver of it.

I know guida always impressed my non mma watching friends with his jog to the ring an jog back to his corners stuff.

Biafraid
Jan 31, 2008

yeah.

acejackson42 posted:

This is way, way back but it's a pet peeve of mine -- no one was chanting Guida's name like that. No one. Well, maybe one or two guys who picked it up after the fact, but it was almost completely the UFC sound truck piping that poo poo in. And they do it all the time.

It's easy to tell: when the chant starts up suddenly and loud and then as it winds up, it sounds like someone is turning down the volume. Unless I've been in the wrong crowds, people don't start chanting quieter and quieter until they're whispering and then stop. It just sort of peters out.

Sometimes you'll get a really clever sound guy and it'll start out quiet, gradually get loud and then turn down again. Impressive.

I guess they want people to think the live crowds are really into it and chant all the time for everything - and sometimes there are real chants, of course - but when you can see people sitting on their hands at ringside as the 'crowd goes wild for Guida', well, that's rather fishy.

Lmao

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Those piped in Guida chants are hot enough to melt steel beams.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

1st AD posted:

Yeah I don't doubt there's a shitload of fans out there who love the poo poo out of Clay Guida because...well I still can't figure this one out.

I remember when I watched Guida-Maynard I was making dinner and half-watching the TV, and it looked like he was dominating. Volume was down and I was far enough away that all I could see was his pace and movement and Gray just standing there. Afterwards I was really confused by the reaction to the fight, until I found a replay somewhere and realized it had been an illusion and Guida was terrible, just terrible.

I'm guessing the live crowds love him for roughly that reason. His activity looks good if you can't see that he's doing nothing productive with it. Also against Peralta he hit a bunch of huge slams and everybody loves huge slams.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Those piped in Guida chants are hot enough to melt steel beams.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

colonel_korn posted:

One of my favourite UFC memories was watching UFC 107 at a pub where a bunch of people were cheering for Guida and then KenFlo flattened him. :twisted:

Remember when we were all so amped up during Guida-Huerta and were like "these guys are going to have awesome fights forever" and now one is missing presumed dead and the other is a cro magnon with a taste for methamphetamine?

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Jon Jones still gets really mixed results from the crowd but instead of piping things in for him they spent all of it on Clay Guida cheers

Lets go Jon Jones, Jon Jones sucks! You may not like Jon Jones, Joe, but you have to respect him!

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
It's amazing how everyone went from loving Guida to hating him with that one Maynard fight.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

-Atom- posted:

It's amazing how everyone went from loving Guida to hating him with that one Maynard fight.

which is funny because that fight was hilarious also guida owns

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

One of these weekends I may do a grand Guida Experiment, to watch his earlier fights on Fight Pass and see if I can pinpoint the moment he went from consistently earning bonuses to being Clay Guida.

It's a masochistic undertaking but he is in the top 10 all-time UFC bonus earners so he has fooled the promotion into thinking he was cool as well. There's gotta be something to him.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I liked his fight on Saturday, I've heard bad things about when he started slowing down further back in his career and how those fights sucked but I enjoyed watching his fight on this card a ton. Maybe its his enthusiasm/energy thats kind of infectious.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

-Atom- posted:

He was having lovely, boring fights way before the Maynard fight.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
How can anyone TRULY hate the two time Tequila CASADORAS spirit award winner, is what I'd like to know.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
I haven't watched a guida fight in a long time, does he still fight like a coked-up Michael J Fox?

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

-Atom- posted:

I always hated guida

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Gregor Samsa posted:

I haven't watched a guida fight in a long time, does he still fight like a coked-up Michael J Fox?
It's less "fight" than "live". Dude never stop bouncing.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Guida has always been the same dude, its not that he used to be exciting and is boring now. When he fights someone that he matches up well against (basically someone who matches his intensity a little and is willing to get into scrambles on his terms) he usually has fun fights like the Huerta one or the RDA one i remember being pretty good, but he is absolutely shameless about having a lovely fight when the guy doesnt match up well against him, like the Maynard fight where he ran away the entire time, or the Pettis fight where he did his best to lay on him doing literally nothing the entire time

I dont hate him as much as some guys do, I just think its funny that some people love him as if hes some cody Mckenzie character who is a nutcase and will brawl and go wild with anyone to entertain the fans, when in reality he is pretty calculated and will have an awful fight if it means getting the safe win over someone that is a bad style matchup for him

Thats also why the Florian fight owned because Guida was getting into his "dance around picking spots and try to get a safe win on the judges cards" rhythm and Florian just iced him with a perfect punch

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

it's def in the top five cool mma .gifs out there

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
someone should make an effort post on Florian because he deserves it

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
Floirian also slammed Guida with ease. Later he landed a 3-elbow combo that sliced Guida's face to pieces.

UFC 107 was really great. Penn/Sanchez, Florian/Guida, Struve getting punched out of the air throwing a Batman punch, Mir decapitating Kongo, Hendricks, Pierce and Grant had some of their earliest fights etc.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Penn/Sanchez wasn't a good fight after the first minute where BJ dropped Sanchez which sent Diego into a retarded takedown loop, it's only cool cause of the finish and BJ Penn making that video about gassing after the match. The rest of 107 was indeed good poo poo.

Also Alan Belcher had cool hair

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Trying the same thing over and over while expecting different results is the very definition of Diego "the vampire hunter" Sanchez, Joe.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Foul Fowl posted:

Mir decapitating Kongo

The little kick that Kongo threw at his leg after getting knocked down was fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

-Atom- posted:

someone should make an effort post on Florian because he deserves it

Every Kenny fight I saw looked like a blood bath. He had some of the nastiest looking elbows I've seen.

• Locked thread