Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Main Card (Fox Sports 1, Starts at 1 pm ET)

Chad Mendes vs Ricardo Lamas (FW)
Jorge Masvidal vs Al Iaquinta (LW)
Michael Chiesa vs Mitch Clarke (LW)
Julianna Peņa vs Milana Dudieva (WBW)
Clay Guida vs Robbie Peralta (LW)
Dustin Poirier vs. Carlos Diego Ferreira

Prelim Card (Fox Sports 1, Starts at 11 am ET)

Liz Carmouche vs Lauren Murphy (WBW)
Gray Maynard vs Alexander Yakovlev (LW)
Shamil Abdurakhimov vs Timothy Johnson (HW)
Ron Stallings vs Justin Jones (MW)

Cool fights overall IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Gray is so shot as a fighter :sigh:

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Why isn't Yakovlev just pouncing on him?

he's bad

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

I'm really intrigued about what the "Joe Riggs" is now.

Also I have no idea what Liz's gameplan for this fight is. She looks like Houston Alexander vs Kimbo.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

That decision seems kinda bunk but the fight stunk anyways so eh

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

That kind of reminded me of when you see fighters drilling in the gym by sitting on top of a heavy bag and whaling on it.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Oh, was that the thing where the initial "reporting" from various folks on twitter suggested it had been intentional after she was bullied in her gym for being on TUF or something and everyone jumped on it? How did that ever turn out? I kinda feel like I recall the injured fighter defending her gym in that case.

http://espn.go.com/blog/mma/post/_/id/21962/pena-on-rough-2014-drawing-rouseys-attention

quote:

Pena has not fought since November 2013, when she became the female winner of "The Ultimate Fighter" reality series. Her 2014 was mostly defined, at least in the headlines, by a phone call she made to UFC president Dana White, shortly after blowing her knee out during grappling practice in Spokane, Wash.

Pena, 25, maintains she accurately described to White what happened in the gym that day, but details were lost in the hysteria of the moment.

"I think my first mistake was calling up Dana White and screaming blood-curdling screams while I was on my way to the hospital," Pena told ESPN.com. "That's where I made my first mistake."

Long story short, White publicly called the incident an "attack," which sparked a media swarm.

"The story got so exaggerated. Everybody was like, 'Her career is over,' " Pena said. "My gym got dragged under the bus. Everybody hated me. And on top of all that, I still had four torn ligaments in my knee."

So it kinda sounds like she was really upset in the immediate aftermath of the incident, called Dana, and then he blew it out of proportion even more. It sounds like she's still with the same club so I guessed they patched it up.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

hahaha Al flipping out at the crowd. Anyways Masvidal really did let him off the hook after R1 so he only has himself to blame.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Dan probably coulda stopped that a lot earlier.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

manyak posted:

He got beat up but it wouldve been a really lame stoppage at any point up until like 4 seconds before the actual stoppage

Watching that clip at what exact moment would have been better to stop the fight? Any time there is an opening to jump in for the stoppage Lamas looks like he is getting back into it and is intelligently defending himself

I think it would have been entirely uncontroversial to stop it the second time he got dropped (2:58) which is like 45 seconds beforehand.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

One of my favourite UFC memories was watching UFC 107 at a pub where a bunch of people were cheering for Guida and then KenFlo flattened him. :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Foul Fowl posted:

Mir decapitating Kongo

The little kick that Kongo threw at his leg after getting knocked down was fantastic.

• Locked thread