Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

"To win in battle, know your enemy. To win in life, know your weakness."
- Miyamoto Musashi

randombattle posted:

I gave up on bloodfin thanks to the lovely community full of people standing around on their max level Jedi going "NUH UH I COULD BEAT EVERYONE"

For these reasons and many others, I have decided to simply launch my own server.

I know what you are thinking... "A goon run SwgEmu server, what could possibly go wrong??"

Well, there are several reasons why this would be beneficial.
  • Selectiveness - I can hand pick my development staff and not allow anyone with the wrong mindset in.
  • Religious Freedom - You can wage Jihad against the infidels freely.
  • No fucks given - Pubbies can whine for change all they want, they WONT get it.
  • Creative Freedom - The game can be positively changed and redesigned without concern of outside opinion.

So what exactly is DarklightSWG?

Put simply, it is a Hybrid of the NGE / CU / and Pre-CU versions of Star Wars Galaxies that as of this post is in development with a slated Beta date of May 4th 2015.

Key Features:
  • Balanced Combat Professions (Seriously balanced!)
  • Jedi is just another profession no stronger than any other.
  • Forced PvP zones, ie: Battle of Restuss from NGE
  • Unique content never released on SOE Live servers
  • No loving Mind Bar or Force Bar.
  • Rebalanced Buffs and Base Stats
  • Rebalanced Armor without ridiculous stats.
  • Innate healing abilities, no more pharmaceuticals.
  • NGE Style Entertainer "Build-A-Buff" system.
  • Enhanced Bounty Hunting System, it's not just for glowbat swingers anymore.
  • Properly functioning AI
  • Actual CSR Ticketing system. (No "GMs" standing around coronet all hours of the day)
  • Laissez Faire approach to community moderation. (Meaning the community polices itself for everything but something tantamount to cyber-bullying)
  • Scamming and other staples of Goon Life are 100% permitted. "Recruit" some Pubbies!

Here is a Developer Diary video showing progress as of 3/17/2015.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFW0UyZ9LdY

Developer Discussion Video #2 4/5/2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBq4BTEjtoE

Beta Release Date: May 4th 2015.

http://forums.darklightgaming.com

Hope to see my Goon Squad friends make a comeback here.

Levarris fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Apr 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bogey.flail
Mar 29, 2001
An Pre-CU/CU/NGE Hybrid with no alpha class? Sounds like it could be a laugh, I'm down for this.

What will the crafting professions be like here? The NGE/CU destroyed crafting for me (as a chef)

Is getting JTL working on the cards as well?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I stopped following the development of the SWG Emu like 6 years ago. Did it ever actually get released in a stable finished form? Do enough people play it to populate a server?

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

bogey.flail posted:

An Pre-CU/CU/NGE Hybrid with no alpha class? Sounds like it could be a laugh, I'm down for this.

What will the crafting professions be like here? The NGE/CU destroyed crafting for me (as a chef)

Is getting JTL working on the cards as well?

Crafting professions aren't changing from their Pre-NGE state, with exception to Merchant. It will require no skill points because gently caress merchants. As for JTL, no it is not, not until SWGEmu gets around to it themselves. Bloodfin recently tried to put some form of JTL in, and it is laughably bad.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I stopped following the development of the SWG Emu like 6 years ago. Did it ever actually get released in a stable finished form? Do enough people play it to populate a server?

Is SWGEmu a "finished" product, no not quite but it is close enough at this point that we can expedite the job. Quite a few play actually.

Levarris fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 4, 2015

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

It would be thematically appropriate for whoever is in charge of the project (is there a group in charge? Where can I find this poo poo) to release a finalized version this fall on the 10th anniversary of the NGE.

The Dirtiest Harry
May 31, 2011

"Now you know why they call me Dirty Harry: every dirty job that comes along."
I don't have my SWG disks anymore. Do I need to find some disks on eBay or something in order to play?
Not asking anyone to link to :filez:, I'm just asking the question.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

The Dirtiest Harry posted:

I don't have my SWG disks anymore. Do I need to find some disks on eBay or something in order to play?
Not asking anyone to link to :filez:, I'm just asking the question.

There might be something over at the swgemu subreddit if you can stomach using reddit for 3 minutes.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Damnit. Damnit all. Looks great. Unfortunately I won't be able to do anything with it until I finish working on the house we just bought as well as setting up a proper gaming cave.

Does Commando work at all? :ohdear:

Kalaxus
Dec 8, 2003

Battle Master

Tide posted:

Damnit. Damnit all. Looks great. Unfortunately I won't be able to do anything with it until I finish working on the house we just bought as well as setting up a proper gaming cave.

Does Commando work at all? :ohdear:

I did love watching a couple of our Goons level up Commando killing gnorts back in the broken commandos. Flamethrowers deals 10 damage was just hilarious to me for some reason.

On a related note, Is Creature Handler up and working and do their pets get to keep their armor like in the good ol' days?

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Kalaxus posted:

I did love watching a couple of our Goons level up Commando killing gnorts back in the broken commandos. Flamethrowers deals 10 damage was just hilarious to me for some reason.

On a related note, Is Creature Handler up and working and do their pets get to keep their armor like in the good ol' days?

We are reworking EVERY class actually. Commando is coming up on the chopping block, but its shaping up to be pretty nice.

CH should be in the same state as is currently in SWGEmu's unstable branch, to my knowledge it works. In all frankness CH was something I was never too familiar with myself, so I am not sure what direction we will be taking the profession.

Also updated OP with additional video + screenshot.

Levarris fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Apr 7, 2015

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Levarris posted:

We are reworking EVERY class actually. Commando is coming up on the chopping block, but its shaping up to be pretty nice.

CH should be in the same state as is currently in SWGEmu's unstable branch, to my knowledge it works. In all frankness CH was something I was never too familiar with myself, so I am not sure what direction we will be taking the profession.

Also updated OP with additional video + screenshot.

What plans do you have Pistoleer?

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Good luck with the server Levarris, if we get a guild going I'll join in but I want no part in mayoring/leadership/loving resource deeds/anything of responsibility this time. Its way easier to be the one with my house in a stupid place :)

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Is this going to be what SWG was post CU but with tweaks/fixes?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Looks like it's going to be taking the best from the three iterations and doing some updating. Personally, I would love to know more about Pistoleer and Commando as those two were my first loves from preCU. I registered on the site, but there's not so much in the way of a road map for them.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Tide posted:

Looks like it's going to be taking the best from the three iterations and doing some updating. Personally, I would love to know more about Pistoleer and Commando as those two were my first loves from preCU. I registered on the site, but there's not so much in the way of a road map for them.

Pistoleer:
  • Condensed commands and removed redundant / unneeded abilities.
  • Redirected all attacks to the health pool.
  • Removed PistolMeleeDefense 1,2 replaced with /pistolWhip1 and 2. With this attack the pistoleer smacks an opponent within melee range across the face rooting him for a few seconds to give the pistoleer enough time to get back out to range.
  • Adjusted damage output on all pistol attacks to line up with the speed of combat we are aiming for.
  • Adjusted Special Attack Cost on all pistol weapons to only pull from action pool.

Commando:
  • Adjusted damage output on all attacks.
  • Adjusted damage output on flamethrower
  • adjusted damage output on acid rifle
  • **Still in works, but thats what has been done so far**

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Levarris posted:

Pistoleer:
  • Condensed commands and removed redundant / unneeded abilities.
  • Removed PistolMeleeDefense 1,2 replaced with /pistolWhip1 and 2. With this attack the pistoleer smacks an opponent within melee range across the face rooting him for a few seconds to give the pistoleer enough time to get back out to range.
  • Adjusted damage output on all pistol attacks to line up with the speed of combat we are aiming for.
  • Adjusted Special Attack Cost on all pistol weapons to only pull from action pool.

Commando:
  • Adjusted damage output on all attacks.
  • Adjusted damage output on flamethrower
  • adjusted damage output on acid rifle
  • **Still in works, but thats what has been done so far**

Tai posted:

Is this going to be what SWG was post CU but with tweaks/fixes?

Not quite, We are definitely incorporating a ton of post-NGE materials and content into the game for sure. However, the combat system itself is more of a cross between Pre-CU and NGE style combat. Its fast like the NGE, but also not a wannabe FPS shooter at the same time. I've said it before on our forum and I'll say it again here. I believe that what we are creating represents what "we" the developers think the NGE / CU should have been to properly fix the game in the eyes of its players. So it is unique, and its own take on what Star Wars Galaxies was.

It could either be amazing, or horrible. Though so far I have enjoyed playing every profession we have adjusted. I hope the community will too.

Edit: Also oops, didn't mean to double post. poo poo happens.

iamthehans
May 1, 2012

Ahdinko posted:

Good luck with the server Levarris, if we get a guild going I'll join in but I want no part in mayoring/leadership/loving resource deeds/anything of responsibility this time. Its way easier to be the one with my house in a stupid place :)

Give this man the deeds. non stop deeds.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
To make wall modules

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

iamthehans posted:

Give this man the deeds. non stop deeds.

All the deeds to the man from leeds?

Edit: On that note, there won't be resource deeds. I am literally going to erase them from existence. Not that it would matter anyway. On our live play server, no one will be getting Admin/CSR/GM access. There will be GM accounts, but they will be on a rotating one-time use password that will only be granted when a CSR opens an active support ticket.

(At least thats how it is planned at any rate.)

Bloodfin was a learning experience in everything one should not do with a privately run MMO server. I don't just expect things to be different and better on Darklight. I get to dictate policy and ensure its followed by our team.

Levarris fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 9, 2015

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009
I'm going to get all the resource deeds, ownership of the goon city, and ownership of the goon guild. Then I'm going to get really busy and forget about all of it.

Again.

Can't wait!

I'll definitely check it out when it's live to see what you come up with.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi
Afgoonistan will live again!

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Any plans to make it so composite isn't the uniform of 95% of the population?

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Unctuous Cretin posted:

Any plans to make it so composite isn't the uniform of 95% of the population?

All armor types will be craftable with the same potential stats. 70% resist cap.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Awesome. On the same token, now that you're really digging in, what's the possibility of a cosmetic tab or function? I think there was something of the sort pretty late in SWG's life.

All those awesome clothes and no point in wearing them has always really bugged me.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Levarris posted:

All the deeds to the man from leeds?

Edit: On that note, there won't be resource deeds. I am literally going to erase them from existence.

gently caress you EbonyBBW, how did this stick

Good thing on the deeds though, they were poo poo for the server, and poo poo for goons. Sure we made some cool gear but people got sour after we ran out and people didn't get some, which was definitely not good in our small community

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Apr 9, 2015

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Unctuous Cretin posted:

Awesome. On the same token, now that you're really digging in, what's the possibility of a cosmetic tab or function? I think there was something of the sort pretty late in SWG's life.

All those awesome clothes and no point in wearing them has always really bugged me.

I've actually given thought. We might be able to make that a possibility down the road, and thought of some ways to make it work.

Ahdinko posted:

gently caress you EbonyBBW, how did this stick

Good thing on the deeds though, they were poo poo for the server, and poo poo for goons. Sure we made some cool gear but people got sour after we ran out and people didn't get some, which was definitely not good in our small community

Resource deeds are bad. You can't have crafting diversity when everyone on a server can equip themselves with a pile of server best resources with a few clicks.

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe

Levarris posted:

Resource deeds are bad. You can't have crafting diversity when everyone on a server can equip themselves with a pile of server best resources with a few clicks.

You could have Bad Resource Deeds, hardcoded to contain only the worst possible stats available on each resource and only offer that one variant. Just one minimum stats type for each resource with minimums on each stat - a polysteel copper with max of 400 con/602 OQ and no other. A kammris iron with 421 OQ and 511 toughness. Guaranteeing just that you can get a crate of that non-spawned-yet resource, but also guaranteeing that it will be the utter worst ever, and whatever will spawn will always be better. There was an ore that Lowca needed for T21 rifles that didn't spawn for like two months. Couldn't make the damned weapons at all. But if we had Horrible Ore, we could have at least made some marginally lame rifles.

This way you preserve the value of the incoming spawns. Just have Bad Resource Deeds (tm).

Republicanus fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 13, 2015

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Republicanus posted:

You could have Bad Resource Deeds, hardcoded to contain only the worst possible stats available on each resource and only offer that one variant. Just one minimum stats type for each resource with minimums on each stat - a polysteel copper with max of 400 con/602 OQ and no other. A kammris iron with 421 OQ and 511 toughness. Guaranteeing just that you can get a crate of that non-spawned-yet resource, but also guaranteeing that it will be the utter worst ever, and whatever will spawn will always be better. There was an ore that Lowca needed for T21 rifles that didn't spawn for like two months. Couldn't make the damned weapons at all. But if we had Horrible Ore, we could have at least made some marginally lame rifles.

This way you preserve the value of the incoming spawns. Just have Bad Resource Deeds (tm).

The problem with resource deeds of any kind is the mere fact you can generate them out of thin air. Its detrimental to the economy in general. For this reason alone we won't have them on our version of the game.

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009
The alternative is to look into adjusting some of the schematics to not require extremely obscure resources - this wasn't such a problem on Live because there were so many players, but with a smaller player-base it's going to be drat near impossible to keep up any sort of stock. Even on Live, it was generally a full guild effort to keep one of each profession stocked, and that still entailed server lot-trading and buying resources from harvester barons. Even just toning down the specificity on a lot of the components will help a LOT to keep a general array of gear while also avoiding the "need" for resource deeds in the first place.

You might also look into the Architect resource quantity requirements for walls - same sort of problem, but that was mostly due to the incredible quantity of ore required paired with the fairly low spawn rate.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi
We are holding an Alpha Test this weekend with a focus on crafting professions. Sign up on our forums: http://forums.darklightgaming.com/index.php?/topic/291-alpha-testing-phase-2-april-17th-20th/

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Levarris posted:

I've actually given thought. We might be able to make that a possibility down the road, and thought of some ways to make it work.

As a person who's always had a Master Tailor character: please institute cosmetic options, I beg you.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Drone posted:

As a person who's always had a Master Tailor character: please institute cosmetic options, I beg you.

It is definitely in my bucket list of things to add. Maybe not at launch but most certainly it will happen. If only for the reason that I want this too.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I'll use Basilisk as an example..

What will be different game wise compared to Basilisk/Suncrusher once it's finished to what this server will be?

I didn't like CU/NGE minus the different buildings etc so am I likely to not like this either? I hated the combat, armour, buffs etc post CU.

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

I've posted in your thread, but I'm not sure I'm going to be much use at all. I know how to test software, but I don't really know how to play SWG. Maybe I can break something for you.

the gr8 one
Mar 27, 2012

weed griffen
are the profession requirements going to be the same as pre-cu? one thing i liked about cu was the fact that you didnt need master marks to get bounty hunter, and combat medic didn't require master medic. one of my favorite builds ever was swords/cm.

also is it going to be faster to level crafting professions than in vanilla pre-cu?

i'm down to test, i posted in your thread as dayo, but i have work for most of friday and saturday. i'll try to get acquainted with it on those nights and really dive in on sunday/monday.

the gr8 one fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 15, 2015

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Tai posted:

I'll use Basilisk as an example..

What will be different game wise compared to Basilisk/Suncrusher once it's finished to what this server will be?

I didn't like CU/NGE minus the different buildings etc so am I likely to not like this either? I hated the combat, armour, buffs etc post CU.

The major difference in the combat system is No mind bar, and no combat queue. For the most part the combat will be very similar to Pre-CU in every other respect.

the gr8 one posted:

are the profession requirements going to be the same as pre-cu? one thing i liked about cu was the fact that you didnt need master marks to get bounty hunter, and combat medic didn't require master medic. one of my favorite builds ever was swords/cm.

also is it going to be faster to level crafting professions than in vanilla pre-cu?

i'm down to test, i posted in your thread as dayo, but i have work for most of friday and saturday. i'll try to get acquainted with it on those nights and really dive in on sunday/monday.

A wide variety of professions have been streamlined, prerequisites changed and skill point requirements adjusted.

Novice: *No change / little change in SP consumption*
Marksman
Brawler
Scout
Medic
Artisan
Entertainer

Elite Combat: *Severely increased SP consumption*
Commando
BH
Rifleman
Carbineer
Pistoleer
TKA
Swordsman
Fencer
Pikeman
Creature Handler

Combat Support: *Little to no change in default SP consumption*
Squad Leader
Combat Medic
Doctor
Smuggler

Misc Support: *Lowest SP consumption*[/u]
Ranger
Bio Engineer

Crafting: *No change in SP consumption*
Architect
Tailor
Droid Engineer
Shipwright
Armorsmith
Weaponsmith

Crafting Support: *Removed all Skillpoint use*
Merchant

Entertainment: *No change in SP consumption*
Dancer
Musician
Image Designer

Each "Elite" combat class has been adjusted with its own defined role to play in combat in balance with the other professions. Skillpoints have been adjusted to them so you can not be master of more than one elite combat class at a time. Anything deemed to be a support class has also been adjusted to ensure that you can pick up those support professions to augment your combat characters abilities. ie: Ranger.

The idea is to get rid of defense stacking which was the primary reason one would master multiple combat professions at a time. Our aim is to have combat faster and smoother.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Wait the EMU includes CU and NGE content with the pre-CU gameplay? That's loving awesome.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

So how are you envisioning how a person spends SP? Presumably most combatants will take an elite class, so is it like a mastered class and then an extra tree from another class (like how you could master two combat profs and take one tree from a third thing), a mastered elite class and a mastered support class, or something else?

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Defiance Industries posted:

So how are you envisioning how a person spends SP? Presumably most combatants will take an elite class, so is it like a mastered class and then an extra tree from another class (like how you could master two combat profs and take one tree from a third thing), a mastered elite class and a mastered support class, or something else?

If you are a Master Bounty Hunter, you can pick up a support profession like Ranger to go along with it.

You will not however be able to be a Master Bounty Hunter and a Master Pistoleer for example, there will not be enough skillpoints to fill out those skill trees. However you will not need to have a dual combat mastery because we are sufficiently editing every profession, adding / removing pertinent or redundant abilities to balance each combat profession as a standalone class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the gr8 one
Mar 27, 2012

weed griffen

Levarris posted:

If you are a Master Bounty Hunter, you can pick up a support profession like Ranger to go along with it.

You will not however be able to be a Master Bounty Hunter and a Master Pistoleer for example, there will not be enough skillpoints to fill out those skill trees. However you will not need to have a dual combat mastery because we are sufficiently editing every profession, adding / removing pertinent or redundant abilities to balance each combat profession as a standalone class.

i think the last guy was asking if dabbling was a thing (half bh half pistols)

so can i choose any elite combat profession with any combat support profession?

• Locked thread