Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Rodyle posted:

Everyone's having a good time, but soon enough, the Shenmue will set in :smith:
This game doesn't get nearly as tedious as the original thanks to the wait function, so that's something at least. There's still plenty of dumb poo poo and QTE sequences to be found, though.

Speaking of QTEs, I can't wait for a certain part later on in the game. :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

This is magical.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.

Doc Morbid posted:

Speaking of QTEs, I can't wait for a certain part later on in the game. :unsmigghh:

I think I just remember what you are taking about, it going to be fun to see them to do it.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Just wanted to let you guys know that you should have talked to the guy at the capsule toy machines in the beginning

Required viewing (timestamped at the relevant part at 12:15):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NgU7GCT0oE&t=735s

"Sweet info.."

man nurse fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 11, 2015

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

man nurse posted:

Just wanted to let you guys know that you should have talked to the guy at the capsule toy machines in the beginning

That man made me realize that there's a bunch of people in Shenmue 2 that sounds like they've been voice-pitched into Tomodachi Life characters.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I believe the voice actors for both Shenmue games were a bunch of native English speakers living in Japan, so they probably didn't have a really big pool of talent to choose from.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
I'm excited for four more hours of Mr. Shenmue moving crates.

Party Bug fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 12, 2015

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Moving crates owns, asking for directions owns, ancient QTEs own, Shenmue 2 owns

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Ok, so moving boxes for 2 hours give you 50 HKD, which is always 1USD to ~7.8HKD, so you work for about 3.2$/hour in 1987 dollars or between 5.76 and 11.2 in todays US Dollar. Great work Ryo, working for less than minimum wage instead of finding your dads killer. Hopefully later jobs pay more, though I'm not sure how much money you actually need in this game.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
:frogsiren: UPDATE :frogsiren:
Ep 05 - Chip Rap Pop and Pip (youtube)

the audio desyncs by half a second at the end but i dont care

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
oh ya i updated some bios

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Kuvo posted:

the audio desyncs by half a second at the end but i dont care

This reminds me, I never did figure it out: what was the cause of that weird game audio speedup/slowdown in the original Shenmue LP?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
oh my god they remixed the DERTS theme :allears:

fixelbrumpf
May 26, 2001

Kuvo posted:

:frogsiren: UPDATE :frogsiren:
Ep 04 - YUAL-HUH (youtube)

i love everything that happens in this video

A bit late to the party, but I assume what the hell Ryo was "saying" shortly before Joy took off with him on her chopper that seems glued to her was what happens if you give someone who can't voice act for poo poo reading lines out of context the direction to "mumble", I suppose? Otherwise, I have no clue.

I'm still kind of shocked this came out the same year as Silent Hill did which still looks good today, mainly due to things such as facial animation and actual lighting. But then again, not sure if the Dreamcast could have pulled all that off, especially given how large some of the environments are.

OK, I'm sorry, carry an.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
:frogsiren:UPDATE:frogsiren:
Ep 06 - Mo Man Mo Problems (youtube)

the HD version is prob still encoding

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Straight (Dreamcast) texture rips

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The fun thing about this game is that it still comes off as less awkward than the first one. Ryo is one of the least interesting protagonists ever, but I still can't help but find him oddly charming because of how stilted everything is.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Momomo posted:

The fun thing about this game is that it still comes off as less awkward than the first one. Ryo is one of the least interesting protagonists ever, but I still can't help but find him oddly charming because of how stilted everything is.

Absolutely. This game also just has so much more going on in it, with the plot, the environments, the action, everything. Even mercifully adding things like skipping time ahead, fast travel, and a majority of helpful NPCs that will let you auto follow them to your next destination.

Don't get me wrong, it's still Shenmue. It's an overall stronger experience however, even if it loses some of the self contained charm of the first in the process.

This LP is amazing and came right at a pretty tough time in my life, so it's nice to be able to look forward to you guys bullshitting through a Shenmue title again. It's every bit as good as it was last time. I was pissing myself at the Delin stuff.

man nurse fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 15, 2015

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I lost it laughing at Ryo recoiling in terror at the thought of a cute lady wanting to bone zone him.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

man nurse posted:

Absolutely. This game also just has so much more going on in it, with the plot, the environments, the action, everything. Even mercifully adding things like skipping time ahead, fast travel, and a majority of helpful NPCs that will let you auto follow them to your next destination.

Don't get me wrong, it's still Shenmue. It's an overall stronger experience however, even if it loses some of the self contained charm of the first in the process.

This LP is amazing and came right at a pretty tough time in my life, so it's nice to be able to look forward to you guys bullshitting through a Shenmue title again. It's every bit as good as it was last time. I was pissing myself at the Delin stuff.

They also made sure there were alternate routes to finding stuff whenever possible so you don't just get hung up on finding that one guy at the right time of the day. I never knew you could track down the kid with a photo in that pawn shop.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Nothing to see here.

Dreadwroth fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Apr 22, 2015

Worst Man in Space
Aug 31, 2011
I actually work near Man Mo Temple in Hong Kong. There are a ton of businesses around named Man Mo, and a lot of antique and china shops on that street.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Worst Man in Space posted:

I actually work near Man Mo Temple in Hong Kong. There are a ton of businesses around named Man Mo, and a lot of antique and china shops on that street.

Is there a person called Lishao Tao there?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Danaru posted:

Is there a person called Lishao Tao there?
I'll tell you for :20bux:

topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.

man nurse posted:

Sorry to hear you're going through a tough time. It's nice to play games with Kuvo again like the good old days... I hope our silly antics help in whatever small way they can.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I understand roughly five percent of what is going on in the game, and I watched the last two episodes drunk. Finally, I'm at ground zero of a Shenmue LP, and I'm prepared.

Seriously though - I know nothing about Shenmue, and this looks just as much like aimless wandering as the first one. Is there even a map or anything? And even though you lost your first fight, the story continued... Can you lose most battles without getting a game over? Will this turn into the adventures of a man going to Hongkong to get beat up? I hope so.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

So if you give that guy more money does he give you more specific information?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Torquemadras posted:

I understand roughly five percent of what is going on in the game, and I watched the last two episodes drunk. Finally, I'm at ground zero of a Shenmue LP, and I'm prepared.

Seriously though - I know nothing about Shenmue, and this looks just as much like aimless wandering as the first one. Is there even a map or anything? And even though you lost your first fight, the story continued... Can you lose most battles without getting a game over? Will this turn into the adventures of a man going to Hongkong to get beat up? I hope so.

Ryo is chasing Lan Di, the man who killed his father to get ahold of a Jade Mirror emblazoned with a Dragon in his possession. Ryo is also now in possession of the mirror's pair, one emblazoned with a Phoenix. Shenmue was about Ryo trying to track him down, and he got as far as his shipping operations at the docks before learning Lan Di had already left for Hong Kong - which is where Shenmue 2 starts. Ryo's trying to track down a master of Chinese martial arts so he doesn't get his rear end beat a second time when he finally does locate Lan Di.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
ryo should really track down a police officer and let them know his father was murdered in his own home

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Kuvo posted:

ryo should really track down a police officer and let them know his father was murdered in his own home
I forget if you called the cops in the Shenmue 1 LP, but if you do, he hangs up and says he doesn't want the cops to get involved. :downs:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Doc Morbid posted:

I forget if you called the cops in the Shenmue 1 LP, but if you do, he hangs up and says he doesn't want the cops to get involved. :downs:

They totally did, I lost my poo poo so hard at that.

"Clean up the dojo and hide the body, we have to make sure the police NEVER get involved. Now I'll be back tonight, I have to go ask people about a tattoo parlor."

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Clearly the dojo is a front for all the drugs the people in Shenmue take.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I think Tom and Goro took all the drugs.

edit: ah poo poo I forgot about gently caress-san

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Phantasium posted:

Clearly the dojo is a front for all the drugs the people in Shenmue take.

That would explain gently caress-san's... well, everything about gently caress-san

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
It's a shame you guys aren't playing the Gameboy port, I hear you can actually play as Goro.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Doc Morbid posted:

On the other hand, if the Japanese police had called up Hong Kong and asked to extradite a national, they would have probably just been met with uncontrollable laughter and a dial tone.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Pavlov posted:

On the other hand, if the Japanese police had called up Hong Kong and asked to extradite a national, they would have probably just been met with uncontrollable laughter and a dial tone.

I think Lan Di was still in Japan for a while after the murder, and then bailed once Master Shen got involved, wasn't he?

I'm honestly not sure, I just remember a flurry of darts and forklifts.

e: on an unrelated note, will we find out who Miss Shenmue is in this game, or is this another one where she just shows up on the box art for no real reason?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Danaru posted:

I think Lan Di was still in Japan for a while after the murder, and then bailed once Master Shen got involved, wasn't he?

I'm honestly not sure, I just remember a flurry of darts and forklifts.

e: on an unrelated note, will we find out who Miss Shenmue is in this game, or is this another one where she just shows up on the box art for no real reason?

Yes, eventually.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Danaru posted:

Did we ever even see him again? I thought it was just Gollum and the Mad Angels leader, and I can't even remember how they're related to Lan Di.

The drug dojo makes sense though--clearly Ryo's beef with the Mad Angels is actually that they're encroaching on his turf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

annapacketstormaya posted:

Did we ever even see him again? I thought it was just Gollum and the Mad Angels leader, and I can't even remember how they're related to Lan Di.

The drug dojo makes sense though--clearly Ryo's beef with the Mad Angels is actually that they're encroaching on his turf.

Gollum was Lan Di's minion if I remember correctly. I honestly don't remember the mad angels being even a little relevant barring Goro telling you NOT TO SAY THAT SO LOUD BRO

• Locked thread