Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

I'll do it in exchange for that sweet SUPER STAR 満-MITSURU- gang tag

just don't mess with my avatar or there will be hell to pay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Supersonic Buddha
Sep 6, 2010

Inertia is a property of matter.

Kuvo posted:

that was me but this is boss

Oh. Thanks for the dumb idea, Kuvo. I put slightly more effort into this one.

Happyman
Jul 20, 2011

Say, do you take your mask off when you go to the bathroom?

Supersonic Buddha posted:

Outstanding :neckbeard:

Kuvo, do you want instructions on how to get the duck racing minigame? You have to do some truly obtuse stuff to unlock it.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

Supersonic Buddha posted:

https://soundcloud.com/grizlor/dig-diggity-deck

Let's bring this poo poo full circle!

Cory in the Blouse fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 25, 2015

topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.

Happyman posted:

Outstanding :neckbeard:

Kuvo, do you want instructions on how to get the duck racing minigame? You have to do some truly obtuse stuff to unlock it.

I don't know if kuvo responded to this but the answer is yes. Please tell us, we must know.

Happyman
Jul 20, 2011

topiKal posted:

I don't know if kuvo responded to this but the answer is yes. Please tell us, we must know.

PMed you about it. There's still a bit of story stuff before it unlocks, though.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I actually played the PAL version on the Dreamcast back in the day, it was subtitled so lost a lot of the stiltedness that comes with the somewhat ropey dub.

It blew my mind at the time how much bigger this was than Shenmue, the locations, actions and fact that story actually goes places is kinda great.

Supersonic Buddha
Sep 6, 2010

Inertia is a property of matter.

topiKal posted:

I hope you guys go through that whole thing because it's really loving stupid.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
:frogsiren:Updates:frogsiren:
Ep 10 - Ryo does yardwork (youtube)

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

This game is a treasure. :allears:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Let me show you the way to Three Blades street.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Everything about all the music is magical.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
The most sarcastic elderly woman in the history of gaming.

Happyman
Jul 20, 2011

Here's a map of all of Wan Chai if you need one for the next recording:

One thing you'll notice about this game is that there is only one kind of business on every street. There's one street that has every barbershop, one street with every electronics shop, one street with like 5 pawnshops all next to each other. It's extremely weird.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Is there any point to that gameplay wise? Will different pawnshops give you different rates or anything?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Demicol posted:

Is there any point to that gameplay wise? Will different pawnshops give you different rates or anything?
Yes, actually! You can make a lot more money if you look up which pawnshop buys which poo poo at high prices, although in practice it's kind of annoying to look through a million fliers to find the best places to offload your crap.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
I can't wait to see what wonders are contained within the Fu Hot Diner

Cory in the Blouse fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 28, 2015

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Happyman posted:

Here's a map of all of Wan Chai if you need one for the next recording:

ive gotten a pretty good feel for the street layouts but this will make finding specific shops easier, thanks!

Doc Morbid posted:

Yes, actually! You can make a lot more money if you look up which pawnshop buys which poo poo at high prices, although in practice it's kind of annoying to look through a million fliers to find the best places to offload your crap.

we did some pawnshop stuff in the most recent recording session. some of those places really try to screw ya over

Non-EuclideanCat
Nov 9, 2009
If anyone's curious, the old man isn't suddenly magic. Advanced Tai Chi techniques employ brief, subtle moments of force combined with screwing with the opponent's balance. Hitting a tree like that is stretching it, but the game's done an alright job with Tai Chi so far, all things considered.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Non-EuclideanCat posted:

If anyone's curious, the old man isn't suddenly magic. Advanced Tai Chi techniques employ brief, subtle moments of force combined with screwing with the opponent's balance. Hitting a tree like that is stretching it, but the game's done an alright job with Tai Chi so far, all things considered.

...y'know, I wouldn't ever doubt those techniques work - I've been on the receiving end often enough, and that poo poo will straight smack you on the ground when you've got momentum yourself -, but the dudes in that video are seriously exaggerating the effect it has on them... LOL at the dude at 1:07 doing loving backhops

Looking forward to Ryu punching more inanimate objects.

Non-EuclideanCat
Nov 9, 2009

Torquemadras posted:

...y'know, I wouldn't ever doubt those techniques work - I've been on the receiving end often enough, and that poo poo will straight smack you on the ground when you've got momentum yourself -, but the dudes in that video are seriously exaggerating the effect it has on them... LOL at the dude at 1:07 doing loving backhops

They are to an extent. They're putting on a demonstration, but Huang's been doing this all his life so I don't doubt he's really knocking those guys around.

Maybe this video will demonstrate better. Look at how little the guy actually moves compared to his opponents while still getting them off balance, especially at 1:20.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
:frogsiren:Updates:frogsiren:
Ep 11 -HKDA (youtube)

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
When I rented this game years ago I was a complete dumbshit. I hosed up on that barber like 3 times. If you press A he doesn't let you try again until the next day.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
it totally looked like Ryo just zoned out and didn't notice the barber holding the knife to his neck

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Non-EuclideanCat posted:

They are to an extent. They're putting on a demonstration, but Huang's been doing this all his life so I don't doubt he's really knocking those guys around.

Maybe this video will demonstrate better. Look at how little the guy actually moves compared to his opponents while still getting them off balance, especially at 1:20.

Video is blocked worldwide :saddowns:

And, yeah, I'd never doubt it works. I never encountered any tai chi myself, but similar redirecting energy stuff. I know that putting on a show actually sometimes protects the guys who receive the throw... and I guess you'd rather have someone flip over from twisting their hand, than show what would actually happen, i.e. outright snapping the wrist or leaving the victim frozen up in confused pain... All the fancy martial arts throw mans I met threw me face-first onto the ground rather than far away. :v: But this looks a little to ridiculous to me. Oh well. I guess they gotta show that "oh poo poo I have no balance whatsoever suddenly" feeling to outsiders somehow.

Buuuuut enough throw mans chat, I just discovered another kuvo vid to click on

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Danaru posted:

it totally looked like Ryo just zoned out and didn't notice anything at any point.

I think that's what you meant

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

New thread title - "we've got stuff to Wu-do."

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
pretty sure those are licenced whiskeys in the jazz bar

Skrewtape
Sep 10, 2003
I like pie
This game baffles me. There was clearly a huge amount of time and effort put into developing it, but did they just... forget to put in any fun parts?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Skrewtape posted:

This game baffles me. There was clearly a huge amount of time and effort put into developing it, but did they just... forget to put in any fun parts?

i don't think you understand shenmue.

at the time it was released on the dreamcast there was nothing like this really. it was insanely good looking as a game with an absurd level of detail and variety of activities.

just looking at it and moving around was fun back then, and shenmue II moves an awful lot quicker than the first one.

also bear in mind that if you played shenmue at launch and then picked up the euro pal release a couple of years later, you were massively excited to be making massive progress in the story.

I found the game lot of when I played it, once you get into the rhythm, accomplishing a few tasks during the day, making some cash, having some fun - it's really enjoyable.

trust me, the game heats up a fair bit more from where we currently are.

I think it might appear to have aged badly because its is a little rough around the edges, and certainly as a game that took scope and production values to new levels for real time 3d games it has been superseded massively, but I had a lot of fun playing it.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I started thinking how much voice acting there is because every NPC has a line for whatever objective you're currently on and all the questions you can ask, so I looked up the cast on IMDB and there's 77 voice actors credited.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Demicol posted:

I started thinking how much voice acting there is because every NPC has a line for whatever objective you're currently on and all the questions you can ask, so I looked up the cast on IMDB and there's 77 voice actors credited.

Yup. Compare that to Skyrim, which is a modern game of much greater scope with has 90 voice actors listed, including DLC voice actors. This game was loving ambitious in its day.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Another Person posted:

Yup. Compare that to Skyrim, which is a modern game of much greater scope with has 90 voice actors listed, including DLC voice actors. This game was loving ambitious in its day.

I'm honestly impressed at how deep Shenmue 2 is, and fitting on a single Dreamcast GD-ROM no less (Yes I know the DC version's on multiple discs, I just mean current content). There's a fair bit of stuff you'll just never see unless you actively hunt for it.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Skrewtape posted:

That's because you are thinking it's an open world fighting game,right? It's not, it's basically a telltale adventure game, an open world Walking Dead, where all you do is talk, walk around and do QTEs. The martial arts is just the theme, not the main gameplay.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm honestly impressed at how deep Shenmue 2 is, and fitting on a single Dreamcast GD-ROM no less (Yes I know the DC version's on multiple discs, I just mean current content). There's a fair bit of stuff you'll just never see unless you actively hunt for it.

I'd love to see a big map of all the alternative ways you can go through the game, someday. Not because I care about the story, but just to see how many contingencies the developers had planned for. Should be fun to see...

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010

Hel posted:

That's because you are thinking it's an open world fighting game,right? It's not, it's basically a telltale adventure game, an open world Walking Dead, where all you do is talk, walk around and do QTEs. The martial arts is just the theme, not the main gameplay.

I was going to make a post earlier on to try and explain that same point, but you've summed it up much better than I could have done. It is basically a telltale games 15 years before it's time, only if telltale were Japanese and had a game badly translated and poorly dubbed, and without modern day polish.

Thematically, a kung-fu based RPG set in the real world (Sort of) is pretty unique, and the musical score is genuinely one of my favourite, up with Shadow of the Collossus for emotional impact. Watching it back, it had aged pretty badly, but it's still one of my favourite games from my childhood. And that's taking into account some of the bits yet to come which are going to jar with modern gaming sensibilities even more.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Sleeping Dogs kinda did the "open word kung fu" part but there was more emphasis on car and gun play then story and character interaction.

SE will never make a Sleeping Dogs 2 :negative:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Kuvo posted:

SE will never make a Sleeping Dogs 2 :negative:
Who needs a boring old sleepy dogs 2 when we can play TRIAD WARS, the upcoming massively multiplayer online open world action game(tm)?

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

You play an emotionally stunted teen with a bitchin jacket who compulsively collects capsule toys on a quest to avenge his dad while negging women and repeating people's words back at them and introducing your fighting style as something different every time someone asks what it is. What's not to like

• Locked thread