Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

You have no idea how happy this just made me. The Tipping40s LP of the original is one of my favorites, so fucken glad you guys are back and doing this game no less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

This is magical.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Just wanted to let you guys know that you should have talked to the guy at the capsule toy machines in the beginning

Required viewing (timestamped at the relevant part at 12:15):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NgU7GCT0oE&t=735s

"Sweet info.."

man nurse fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 11, 2015

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Momomo posted:

The fun thing about this game is that it still comes off as less awkward than the first one. Ryo is one of the least interesting protagonists ever, but I still can't help but find him oddly charming because of how stilted everything is.

Absolutely. This game also just has so much more going on in it, with the plot, the environments, the action, everything. Even mercifully adding things like skipping time ahead, fast travel, and a majority of helpful NPCs that will let you auto follow them to your next destination.

Don't get me wrong, it's still Shenmue. It's an overall stronger experience however, even if it loses some of the self contained charm of the first in the process.

This LP is amazing and came right at a pretty tough time in my life, so it's nice to be able to look forward to you guys bullshitting through a Shenmue title again. It's every bit as good as it was last time. I was pissing myself at the Delin stuff.

man nurse fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 15, 2015

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

"I needed some people to work for me! Why don't you work for me!"

Delin thinks he runs the work force and the company just plays along and lets him do his thing, blissfully unaware. It's better for everyone this way. They're an equal opportunity employer down at the Aberdeen shipping yard.

Delin is the gently caress-San of this game. WUUHUH!

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

You play an emotionally stunted teen with a bitchin jacket who compulsively collects capsule toys on a quest to avenge his dad while negging women and repeating people's words back at them and introducing your fighting style as something different every time someone asks what it is. What's not to like

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Little Suede Headed Dio and his kung fu master Shoeing, plus an anime who wakes him up. All that's missing is Joy ripping into man mo temple on her david caruso motorcycle

I'm glad you guys immediately resorted to going full tilt and just jamming out the QTEs. If you finish all the books before noon that guy gives you a new move each time.

Ryo should get Delin in on this book carrying, he'd be a "shoe-in" for this job. WE'RE PUTTING IT DOWN! WUUHUGH!

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Camel Pimp posted:

I can't seem to find a way to make this into a perfect loop and that makes me sad.

A hit-or-miss affair?

Danaru posted:

Every time this loops I find a new favourite thing about it. Currently it's the suit guy that just fades into oblivion. :magical:

That's Ryo's rapidly developing ki powers.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

oh my god you found the sweet info guy

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Grapplejack posted:

http://gamestalk.net/shenmue/

Looking forward to the LP boys

Oh gently caress me, please let this be everything this article thinks it is :pray:

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Hoss Corncave posted:

Considering that most key fighters are based off of Virtua Fighter characters - Ryo has Akira and Aoi's moves, Chai in the first game was Lion, and several other VF characters will appear in the future (albeit reskinned), I reckon they would have put Shun's style in the series at some point, but unfortunately he's not in this game.

Actually, he is. ..on the wall scrolls inside Wise Men's Kung Fu, at least.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

MR. J posted:

Sparing us from seeing them mess up the QTEs for a day I'm sure. :v:

That's the part I'm looking forward to most.

Sorry dudes, I was the one who gave you the bunk info about the move scrolls being rewards for finishing the book carrying. I miss-remembered :(

Bunk info..

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

This is why Shenmue's QTEs are good in my opinion, because missing some isn't automatically a fail state, and actually organically alters the scene playing out. Also, the buttons are actually mapped appropriately to their in-game actions.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

You guys.

I cannot believe what just happened.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Doc Morbid posted:

Outrun.

Wait, since Sega apparently isn't involved in the project aside from letting Suzuki use the Shenmue license, I guess that means we don't get to play any Sega arcade games in Shenmue III. PREORDER CANCELLED :byodood: (guess there's always darts and QTE BATTLE)

The entire game takes place in rural China, I highly doubt there were going to be arcade games to be found in the first place.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

cmykjester posted:

This ducking series. He sounds like a crazy person.

I donated $300 to the development of Shenmue 3. You're welcome in advance, guys.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I unironically love Shenmue, jank and all, and unironically want this third game to exist.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Ometeotl posted:

His model in the gameplay of Shenmue [2] looks better than the ugly model they threw together for the kickstarter.

The model was updated from that to look less derpy, and Yu says he's still not happy with it.

He also confirmed that Chai will be making a return in 3.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Hoss Corncave posted:

I hope they get the same voice actor again.

Also, how does he actually get there? The last time he was seen was getting elbowed off the boat somewhere between Hong Kong and Japan. I can't see the Chiyoumen being too happy with him failing three times to get the mirror and finish off Ryo (four if you count the arcade), so unless he swam, I'm not sure how he will end up in mainland China.

I don't want to derail the thread with black text, but basically he's not actually chiyoumen, more like a fanatic of them, and he's trying to gain Lan Di's favor by bringing him the mirror.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

darealkooky posted:

This update shows most strongly why shenmue is bullshit and everyone that wanted shenmue 3 all these years is a moron

If this was a game in the yakuza series you'd not only be able to gently caress around for hours playing mahjong, but there would be some sort of funny/interesting sidequest surrounding it. And it would've been one out of dozens of dumb minigames and side content bringing together an actually finished story of people in 70's suits beating eachother senseless

All the people that spent thousands on that kickstarter could've spent that money on a new TV, a ps3, AND yakuza 4/5 and still have some beer money left over. Instead they partially funded a game that's maybe going to come out sometime in the next couple years and probably won't be any better than this trash

I funded Shenmue 3 and also preordered Yakuza 5 so like I mean I'm pretty happy all around.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Also, a Yakuza LP by these guys would be the best.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

You have to consider though, Ryo is no longer in his tiny hometown, he's in big sprawling cities in a foreign land. He's a fish out of water. It makes sense thematically for the game to lose that sense of small community.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

All you Shenmue 3 naysayers should know that you'll be able to call Tom, gently caress San, Nozomi etc in the game. That makes it entirely worth it.

Ryo, what did you want to talk about? "No reason. See you later." *click*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

LP owned. Shenmue 3 gonna own.

• Locked thread