Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I think the Rayman games should be in the OP platformer section too.

e: and King of Dragon Pass in the PC port one.

otherwise excellent list

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Out There is nowhere close to FTL. It's more frustrating and less rewarding. Maybe their supposedly free update to Out There Omega will fix things but I doubt it.

It's very atmospheric though.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Spacechem is also a great programming game, but it probably won't fit on a tiny phone screen.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Neuroshima Hex is on sale @ 0.99$.

Another poopbreak boardgame port at a decent price. Though it seems to have IAPs so I'm not sure to get on board yet. Anyone knows what the IAPs are?

e: nm it seems to be additional armies

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 9, 2015

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

I went ahead and spent the $15 bucks for the season pass. The quicktime events are a bit of a chore at times, but the story seems solid and it's a "your choices matter" sort of thing. They even go out of the way to flash stuff like "Lord Forrester will remember that" at the top of the screen when you make a choice.

All telltale games do that, but unfortunately when you reply making different choices you realize the impact is almost null.

They are still nice games though and this mechanism makes the game more immersive.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Nyx posted:

As far as new incremental/clicker games to get addicted to, I've recently started playing Goat Evolution and it is a pretty neat new way to play those types of games. Basically you run a farm of goats (whose poop is worth a certain amount of coins per second) in which you can merge said goats together to evolve into larger, weirder goats. The bigger the goat, the more coins per second their poop is worth. There's IAP but it's definitely not essential to "winning" and while you can use the coins you earn to instantly buy a specific goat you have already evolved, you sometimes have the option to watch an ad instead to get it. It looks like it's the third game after Cow Evolution and Platypus Evolution. I've only tried the latter, but the features didn't seem as polished.

Looks like everyone is jumping on the Alpaca Evolution bandwagon.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Beltheva.Alpaka2
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Beltheva.Giraffe
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.selectbutton.manbotheworld&hl=en

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Biggest human being Ever posted:

Not sure if this is EU only or not but there's a bunch of games on sale right now:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/collection/promotion_3001557_premiumgamesale

Anyone have recommendations what's worth bothering with?

Also rayman and monument valley

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

program666 posted:

If I'm looking for final fantasy tactics clone I should kill myself? That was quick, bye thread.

But seriously I'll eventually look through your suggestions and all but if there is one genre of actual gaming that could work in a phone is tactics stuff. I don't care for most of it but I love disgaea to the bone.

You want a DS emulator + Disgaea DS / FFTA / FFTA2

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

program666 posted:

I wonder how well a ds emulator would play on my phone. Those touch d-pads are way too clunky, even for turn-based games. By the way, I don't really want a tactics game on my phone that badly, I was just commenting on how weird it is that there is no game like it on phones. I mean, it's weird until you see that there is practically no "real game" on phones. I just played hoplite that people talk so much about and it's just yet another game that is better described as a puzzle just like 95% of phone games library. Meh.

I gathered from the thread that Drastic is a pretty good DS emulator that works and controls well. I don't think it was a bad suggestion.

Also there certainly are real games on android but of course it depends on your taste.

You like tactical combats for example and it happens that Shadowrun : Dragonfall is on sale just now:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.harebrainedschemes.dragonfall&hl=en

There are tons of equally good games out there. People usually mention hoplite and pixel dungeon because they are polished poopbreak games, but there's much more than that if your thing is longer more complex games.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Icewind Dale EE is 60% off right now.

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 6, 2015

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

foutre posted:

I have two 9 hour plane flights coming up, and I'm trying to stock up on games. Right now I have Dragonfall, Banner Saga, King of Dragon Pass, and some Kairosoft games installed. Are there any really immerisive, lengthy games worth adding? With the caveat that I've already played through all the Infinity Engine games on Android.

Waking Mars

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

FadedReality posted:

:siren: Galaxy Trucker is on sale in the US for $2.99.

Cool I was waiting for this. Thanks for the info

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Fallout Shelter; a gooncave management sim has just been released on iOS and will be released on android too, most likely before the release of Fallout 4. Probably within a month.

e: also the first reviews seem to indicate the game is free and the only IAPs are to increase drop rates for rare loots. Hopefully not a timer game.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Ymbab q: how the gently caress do I use five items in one run? At most I see like two in a long/successful run. Also I don't know what a crate bomb is or how to destroy ten crates with it. These quests got kind of dumb.

At some point you get a bar with potions, one which increases object frequency.

The crate bomb is simply the bomb sometimes appearing. Pile up crates until a bomb appears.

Most of the quests I never really got any problem with since tiles are quite random. Repeat the runs until you complete the quest without even noticing it.

The best strategy seems to simply try to match everything as fast as possible unless you are almost out of the screen, then focus on what you really need. The game rewards getting the most matches, not getting exactly what you need to progress.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

bgreman posted:

This was the best question yet for Google Rewards.

I had to visit urban dictionary to check if truffle was slang for something else to make sense of this question.

Now I know the meaning of truffle butter.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

The question makes perfect sense, it's just strange to ask.

Well I meant making sense in a google survey

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Paladinus posted:

Wow. I'm surprised Nintendo didn't sue.

As soon as they find a successor for Iwata they'll take care of this.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Cell Lab is a fun little freebie sandbox/puzzle game where you design your own microscopic organisms and set them loose under a microscope to see how well they can accomplish objectives/survive.

Bumping this suggestion again because this game is extremely fun and free. It's so much satisfying trying to design various lifeforms and toying with them that it makes me lose track of time.

I was always really surprised at how you can design complex life cycles with very simple commands, like that stage with the sporulating cells https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ06hXQZ0wQ

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Rirse posted:

Is there a way to use Google Credit if you are under the amount? I got 3.22 from surveys, but I really dislike I got to add ten dollars to buy this, completely ignoring my credit.

You can add credits to your balance if you live in the US
https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/3423011?hl=en

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

New Leaf posted:

Also, FALLOUT SHELTER THURSDAY!!!

But... it's already out :confused:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vistaconceptsllc.familyfalloutshelter.AOUFMCGRAAAPKNCCI

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

mrkillboy posted:

I thought you were going to link to this one

If the stats are true at least ten thousand people downloaded this loving thing.

OMG!...

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
What day is it?

:siren: Fallout Shelter day :siren:

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Shwqa posted:

Here is the fallout tips from the iOS thread.

1) the game is not supposed to run in the background. You have to force close it each time you want to stop playing the game.

My understanding is that it can run in the background if you pay for it (Mr Handy).

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

w00tmonger posted:

will my base starve etc if I just dont play for a bit?

If you leave it open in the background yes (and if you did not pay).

But when you are playing the timers aren't that long and there are plenty of things to do in between so I have yet to decide if it's an idle game or not. I think they managed to make it different enough from usual idle games.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Shwqa posted:

3) there was some glitch about not completing two the starter quest. That somehow made the third quest always easy and give a lot of lunchboxes.

I think they fixed this. I tried it a few times restarting the base and the 3rd quests always become harder.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

coyo7e posted:

Has anybody bothered to confirm that this is still an issue?

I left the game on idle and everyone in my base was at the lowest happiness, starving, and all the resources where depleted.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I like Fallout Shelter so far but some of the game mechanisms could be explained better. I did not spend any money so far and don't see any reason to. When I turn the game off my shelter is put to sleep so they don't consume resources anymore, but at the same time my explorers keep roaming the wastelands and pregnant women keep popping babies out.

Also the lunchbox exploit isn't working anymore but I found another one instead. Rushing the infirmary gives me around 250 caps when it should be much much less.

e: After a few more tries I'm getting this rush bug in other rooms too. Rushing is super lucrative I made almost 1000 caps in just a few minutes

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Aug 14, 2015

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
What's the point of leaving the game on idle? I don't see any. You produce food and water and your dwellers consume it, then what?

e: to me it seems the most efficient way to play the game is to build rooms, rush them until you reach at least 50% incident risk (the trade off isn't really important and the incident are easy to manage), send a guy to explore, arrange a few couples then turn the game off and come back a few hours later. Recall your explorer, rush, turn off. Wash rinse repeat.

The heart of the game isn't to wait, it's to assign people to room and tasks and to rush rooms. There is no incentive to wait in this game.

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Aug 14, 2015

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

New Leaf posted:

Ehh.. may not be the best option. You're going to want to stack them 3-wide to upgrade them. I do 2 on one floor and 1 on another. Of course, I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm having trouble getting over 20 vault dwellers.

Anyone figured out some genius way to replace a room? I built a living quarters during the tutorial, then built a diner beyond it.. the diner is 3-wide now, and I would rather not have that living quarters there anymore. The best option would be to delete it and have everything slide over, but it doesn't work that way. I also can't transition it into a diner to make it link up. I'd have to delete everything to the right of it for a fraction of what I paid to construct it, then delete the living quarters, then rebuild everything. That's kinda bullshit.

You can still restart your shelter before it's too late.

I deleted one of the room after the tutorial to make all rooms left and right of the starting elevator 3 tiles wide. Vault runs fine and I don't even need mr handys.

You can't improvise yourself vault supervisor.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

coyo7e posted:

I've been experimenting with some early vault layouts in Shelter after destroying+rebuilding, and am trying to get some screenshots. Does anyone know where they get saved to?

Just use the share button to send the capture where you want.

Rooms merge automatically when they are same type and level and next to each other.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

coyo7e posted:

Yeah no poo poo sherlock, but the app I "want" doesn't have the screenie come up in the phone gallery or otherwise, so I'd like to know which folder I need to get into.

I sent it to google drive. Then you can download it fine.

Yeah it really helps getting rare guns and characters from the early lunchbox. I send them on exploration to bring back tons of guns when they are not busy spreading their good genes around vault 069

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Ok apparently from reading a wiki the "bug" where I got a lot of caps rushing rooms was probably because there was a guy with high luck in it. So if you have a guy with high luck, move it where you want to rush.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

twistedmentat posted:

Does luck do anything? It would be logical if that helped your explorers find stuff or increase the success rate of rushing.

It helps tremendously to read the advices on the loading screens.

Luck helps your explorers find better loot.

But most important luck is the main stat to gain caps. Each time you collect resources you have a chance to get up to 250 caps based on the luck of your workers.

I posted it before and I'm sure this is the correct way to play the game:

Rush all your rooms up to 50% failure probability. And don't neglect the importance of good loot so send your best characters from the lunchbox in the wastelands for at least 8h.

Don't leave the game on idle. Turn it off. Mr handy are useless anyway excepted as an additional fire extinguisher.

When your dwellers start getting radiation you should be able to build a laboratory. When your stock of radaway is getting full they will be healed automatically.

I think the most important factor is to have at least one rare character from an early lunchbox, preferably with high luck. Restart if you don't get one.

I'm getting to 65 dwellers and no that have all training rooms I can see how important luck is and why it's the last stat you can train.

Also you can reroll a quest once if you don't like but then you have to wait to reroll again.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Mr Newsman posted:

You mean look force stopping it turned off or just main menuing it from your vault?

Doesn't matter as long as the vault isn't on idle. Unless you have mr handys and workers with high luck to farm money there is 0 incentive to leave the game unattended.

Everything timer related will still progress when out of the game. It's even easier to manage resources by rushing to replenish you stock then quitting the game for a few hours than to keep playing continuously because when you quit your vault resources will stop depleting past a certain point.

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 18, 2015

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Blasphemeral posted:

It seems like random radroaches and molerats only appear in external rooms (can anyone confirm?) So I'm planning to redesign my vault to have rooms that tend to be empty (such as storage and living quarters) in the central column, and rooms that usually have workers (such as power plants and water production) on the outer walls.

The in game tips explains that they attack from rooms in contact with earth.

Seriously everyone should read these tips its basically the real tutorial.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Every time I send someone out to the wasteland, I just want to be controlling that person

I have good news for you...

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

coyo7e posted:

If you're that upset about notifications... Turn them off? I'm impressed that you feel that it's more bland than a nimblebit game. Bethesda makes garbage, confirmed..? You do realize that it's an adver-game to tease the upcoming release of a very popular IP - which you seem to very much not have any connection to, which is probably half why it's so bland to you - you miss in-jokes during character conversations, special characters you recognize from the other games, etc.

Not really sure what kind of waiting you were doing, sounds like you had a pretty poor setup or you were pushing your population up too rapidly and thus had to spend a ton of time scratching to keep your food/water/elec levels above redlining, probably.

If a room is not vertically or horizontally touching another room, fires and vermin won't spread and will just go away - you even get credit for firefighting missions for it (also, when raiders and poo poo come in, peopel will begin firing at them when they enter the elevator above them, which helps a little.) So put one or two pregnant women and nobody else into some of those rooms that don't need a bunch of people or armed folks, (radaway and stimpacks are a prime example, also radio room if you have a woman with high CHA, and then they'll just flee and wander back in once the problem peters out.) If you were sitting around waiting to collect resources to get money or something.. You get most money by leveling up survivors - you get one cap per level, each time it goes up. The other way to rush build is to do lots of room rushes to get money, but this can get out of hand if you have a lovely room setup.

The first day or two of playing are certainly the toughest, but once you've got close to a radio room you ought to start thinking about rebuilding your shelter - primarily I concentrate on deciding where elevators go (because you can't really easily change them around later without causing some spacing issues that require making several elevators to bridge gaps, and it's hard to remove som rooms without enough early elevator access planned around it), for instance in mine I kinda wish I'd gone 3-3-2 (where hyphens are elevators) so my first line of defense could have six people in it, but they murderate almost everything before it leaves the room, and now that I have an Endurance training area they'll be even more resilient. FYI it is not possible to delete the first elevator room no matter how you build around it, which is mildly annoying.

If you knock up too many women at the same time you'll have problems with invaders and fires etc, although limiting them delivering babies by limiting the number of living rooms you build, helps a great deal at controlling growth and still having instantly-available people to add to the vault if you need 1 or 2 more to get another room, for instance. For purposes of delivering babies is the only reason I'd ever upgrade living quarters, you only get 2 more toward the cap, per room square.. Which means you can really keep population clamped down tightly if you build a few small living rooms instead of a couple huge ones.

Also, whomever it was that said they saw deathclaws show up with radio rooms and thus never built one.. I've had a radio room for a week and never seen one. Raiders did start showing up with laser guns, but that's about it. Frankly molerats in my lower water and power rooms are much worse.

When deathclaws show up it won't matter how you built your rooms since the don't stay long in a single room and move quickly through your base. Base layout isn't as important as equipping everyone with guns.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Bethesda said they will keep adding content to the game but yeah I don't think it will make the game more interesting on the long run.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Table Tennis Touch is on sale for 1 buck and for this price it's a steal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
So the BT Pokeball is just a big button but it will probably be mandatory to play the game? Well played Nintendo, well played.