Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
favorite windows?
NT
ME
XP
Vista
View Results

• Locked thread
Swizzbutt
Jul 12, 2014

linux! lol! :d:D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Disappointing I am not winning in the poll

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TEAYCHES posted:

do you think you ever have owned your copy of windows

Well, I could at least install old retail copies without first signing a monthly service contract.

Really the only reason XP was so popular was because 90% of users that didn't get it pre-installed on a new computer were using the same CD key.

You thought of the letters FCKGW just now, don't deny it.

Think Thin!
Sep 17, 2006

Windows 98 posted:

i voted 4 u bb

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

NofrikinfuN posted:

Really the only reason XP was so popular was because 90% of users that didn't get it pre-installed on a new computer were using the same CD key.

:lol:

code:
How can people possibly copy our software?
:qqsay:

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Hobohemian posted:

I completely skipped Vista. Who would vote that as their favorite?

probably Satan

shrimp fried rice 4-EVA
Feb 2, 2012

Holding my breath and I'm playing for keeps.
I'll never upgrade from 8.0. It's the best. Shove your need for a start button up your arse. I'll just use my keyboard buttons like reasonable person.

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

FluffyDice posted:

I'll never upgrade from 8.0. It's the best. Shove your need for a start button up your arse. I'll just use my keyboard buttons like reasonable person.

i dont think 8.1 has a start button either? idk, i didnt really use it even in 7 or xp

thought you had to download it extra or some poo poo

Swizzbutt
Jul 12, 2014

Fetus Tree posted:

i dont think 8.1 has a start button either? idk, i didnt really use it even in 7 or xp

thought you had to download it extra or some poo poo

it doesnt have a start button. it works well on tablets tbh but i couldnt imagine using a desktop 8.1

Zen Punk
Dec 26, 2005

interfaced
surprising lack of love for 2000 ITT. I stuck with Win2000 for 8 years. It had to be pried out of my dead, gay hands. poo poo was rock-solid.

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Maybe just another light that shines

:eyepop:

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Friend of mine works in a hospital records department and claims they still run win 2000 to this very loving day

F hole
May 13, 2008

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
RIP Windows 98, a good poster

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
greetings to our friends at YOSPOS

:wave:

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

SwizzBuzz posted:

it doesnt have a start button. it works well on tablets tbh but i couldnt imagine using a desktop 8.1

I have it on a desktop and what is basically a glorified chromebook (asus x205t) and for what i use it for it suits my needs well. It seems really stable. I mainly use chrome and torrent stuff and play the occasional steam or gog game.

I guess if i did any high power stuff it might reveal some more weaknesses or whatever.

Even though idc about the start menu at all, i think it was reallllly dumb to ditch it, since im sure a lot of people do.

I do not like how it wants me to get a live account though. On my desktop i dont have one attached since when i got it i didnt have one anymore due to a security compromise involving my xbox.

I ordered the asus from the MS store so they kinda forced me into one iirc

Is there any benefit in having a live account if i have multiple machines running 8?

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Holy poo poo, noice. Thats why i feel nostalgia for 3.1 etc. Lots of fun games played in my formative years on dos/3.1 machines

E: i know afterdark was screensavers, that just reminds me of poo poo like shadowgate and lands of lore and poo poo

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
2k will always be the best

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fetus Tree posted:

I have it on a desktop and what is basically a glorified chromebook (asus x205t) and for what i use it for it suits my needs well. It seems really stable. I mainly use chrome and torrent stuff and play the occasional steam or gog game.

I guess if i did any high power stuff it might reveal some more weaknesses or whatever.

Even though idc about the start menu at all, i think it was reallllly dumb to ditch it, since im sure a lot of people do.

I do not like how it wants me to get a live account though. On my desktop i dont have one attached since when i got it i didnt have one anymore due to a security compromise involving my xbox.

I ordered the asus from the MS store so they kinda forced me into one iirc

Is there any benefit in having a live account if i have multiple machines running 8?

I got a laptop that had windows 8 on it and almost freaked out because they forced that windows live account poo poo to be your new login instead of the original one you set up and almost forgot the password to it.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

ColoradoCleric posted:

I got a laptop that had windows 8 on it and almost freaked out because they forced that windows live account poo poo to be your new login instead of the original one you set up and almost forgot the password to it.

this exact same thing happened to me except i gambled on the password and got it right the first time

it ended up being the same password i use to get into my desktop anyway

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
windows 7 forever

i will not "pair" with the vipers from windows live

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
the best part of windows 8 was the uefi horseshit where they added a couple extra steps to get rid of their dumb os as a little gently caress you to the end user

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

comes along bort posted:

the best part of windows 8 was the uefi horseshit where they added a couple extra steps to get rid of their dumb os as a little gently caress you to the end user

yup

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
since i am going to be using windows 7 for the next decade maybe you can illuminate what a eufi is

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Top City Homo posted:

since i am going to be using windows 7 for the next decade maybe you can illuminate what a eufi is

uefi is a successor technology to BIOS and most likely you will have it on your computer these days whether you're using windows 8 or not, but my understanding is that many windows 8 computers come with a setting called uefi secure boot that prevents you from changing the operating system or something like that. it can be disabled.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

uefi is a successor technology to BIOS and most likely you will have it on your computer these days whether you're using windows 8 or not, but my understanding is that many windows 8 computers come with a setting called uefi secure boot that prevents you from changing the operating system or something like that. it can be disabled.

sounds gay as hell

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
it's fairly gay, but with uefi you can use a mouse while overclocking your hardware which is great cause i need the other hand to do my business

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Windows 98 posted:

you loving should be

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:
At my job I worked on a computer that runs the entire AV system for a minor league basball team, its still rockin 2k like a champ

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Hobohemian posted:

I completely skipped Vista. Who would vote that as their favorite?
Do you like windows 7? Well then I have some bad news for you...

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Prettz posted:

Do you like windows 7? Well then I have some bad news for you...

release 7 is better than release vista for a lot of reasons, not all of them are MS related, but that is moot, imo

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Clearly the people voting for ME and Vista are doing so in an ironic manner, as are at least some portion of those voting for Windows 8.

ME is objectively the worst Windows release ever, and Vista wasn't much better on a lot of hardware. Windows 8 is a mobile OS that is fine on things like the Surface or on phones, but not great on anything else.

Linux is better than Windows, anyway.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
I still run win3.1 on my 486 hth

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
I'm looking forward to Windows 10 and also to it being added to the 365 subscription based model. I'm not bitch made and embrace the new model of distribution.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
i too look forward to repeatedly paying for something that does not change.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
It'll probably cost all of 15 a month for the Office suite, email, unlimited cloud storage with OneDrive, and continuous upgrades of Windows. What a terrible deal.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Shadow posted:

It'll probably cost all of 15 a month for the Office suite, email, unlimited cloud storage with OneDrive, and continuous upgrades of Windows. What a terrible deal.

wow BOTH offfice suite and email? Cloud storage too?? These things are impossible to get for free or cheap!!

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Shadow posted:

This kind of sidestepping the point that you're paying more for the same. The end result can only be buying computers with service plans like cell phones and that would be the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

• Locked thread