Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
favorite windows?
NT
ME
XP
Vista
View Results

• Locked thread
TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Japanese Phone Box posted:

I loved this win98 theme back in the day, including the screensaver. The nostalgia!

It will launch with a preinstalled copy of Leisure Suit Larry 4, TBA.

wow Microsoft should sue Wes Anderson imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
vista wasnt terrible before the win7 launch but you probably could have gotten win7 free if you really got it just a few months before it came out

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

dang that av is boss

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

windows 7 was so good but it seems it was just a fluke and we will never see a good windows again

classic shell , woops solved windows 8

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Fetus Tree posted:

vista wasnt terrible before the win7 launch but you probably could have gotten win7 free if you really got it just a few months before it came out

I looked into it at the time and I was a little before the cutoff. A shame, but it's still been a good laptop.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 251 days!)

7 x64 is usable.
XP was OK.
I miss hot dog stand (doobietheme)

that is all

Fetus Tree posted:

No. It was loving horrible. I gave up waiting for Vista to boot so I could remove it and just dban'd the fucker because it was faster.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

8 is fine

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Putting a tablet interface on a M+KB device was a stupid idea, no matter how easy it is to get around it

oh OK let me just clean up your poo poo before I start using this OS microsoft NBD

it really isn't a big deal but it's still dumb

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

I'll be rocking Windows 7 well into the 2020s at this rate

rock solid

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I dont see why people prefer 7 to 8 with classicshell

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

i bought a windows machine to use a plex server and play steam games once in a while, guess what, it's poo poo

0haiThere
Feb 18, 2015

Looks like you're in the barrel today.
I wish there was a serious competitor to the Adobe suite on linux.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Grimey Drawer

0haiThere posted:

I wish there was a serious competitor to the Adobe suite on linux.

I was wishing the same on Vista. I hear photoshop can do changes like color tweaks to multiple layers simultaneously. I have not figured out a way to do that in GIMP without downloading a script.

Saddest thing is, I have a current photoshop license, I just can't use it because Adobe dropped Vista support.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
I switched to a Mac because I wanted to spend less time doing anal stuff with my computer and I was right

for a short time

macs are funny compared to windows. you have to gently caress less with them, but more

computers all suck go back to pen and paper

maybe invent a smart scanner for books so we can have a search function within books

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I dont see why people prefer 7 to 8 with classicshell

only real advantage of 7 is it works better out of the box. 8 needs a little more setup

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
also I wanted that sweet sweet iOS-macos integration for my applephone but I have recently grown paranoid of the cloud and basically declouded myself so lol at that

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

NofrikinfuN posted:

I was wishing the same on Vista. I hear photoshop can do changes like color tweaks to multiple layers simultaneously. I have not figured out a way to do that in GIMP without downloading a script.

Saddest thing is, I have a current photoshop license, I just can't use it because Adobe dropped Vista support.

Gimpshop is still poo poo, but it makes the transition easier. I've been using Paint.Net since I got sick of Gimpshop, and my lovely images are still just as lovely as they were in GIMP!

Just remember to make a new layer first.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

NofrikinfuN posted:

the answer is :filez:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Lichy posted:

maybe invent a smart scanner for books so we can have a search function within books

That's what ocr is actually, Google books(the pre-google play service) is not too bad with respect to it

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

That's what ocr is actually, Google books(the pre-google play service) is not too bad with respect to it

it's not actually necessary I'm just too lazy to visually search the index/whatever that word list is called at the end with page numbers next to them

a really good idea is to have a search engine that incorporates not the full content of books but the important word list at the end and helps you narrow down your choices for further reading but I suppose exlibris or whatever the really popular librarian software is called already does that

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Lichy posted:

I switched to a Mac because I wanted to spend less time doing anal stuff with my computer and I was right

for a short time

macs are funny compared to windows. you have to gently caress less with them, but more

computers all suck go back to pen and paper

i almost never have to gently caress with my mac. i use a PC at work and i don't hate it, but having one of my own where i actually want to change some settings and get it to do some fun things convinced me of mac supremacy

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Zeluth posted:

Let's be honest. Who has the best typography?

the OS that uses MS Sans Serif, Microsoft Sans Serif, Tahoma, and Segoe UI for different system dialogs, thereby allowing one to precisely date the correct geological strata of legacy cruft one is excavating with every click

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

last time i hosed with my mac was a few months when it was running slowly and i wanted to wipe and reload my hard drive, which is easy to do, but some adobe programs i somehow downloaded from a school i didn't go to with a volume license wouldn't launch anymore so i restored everything from before wiping, which is also easy, and installed a SSD, which was also easy and everything is fast as f*ck.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I like how some settings are in the metro settings thing and other settings are in the control panel and the control panel looks like windows 7 but it has different names for some things.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
windows 10 isnt on here, didnt vote

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Eonwe posted:

windows 10 isnt on here, didnt vote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJbTjBLEKBU

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Monkey Fracas posted:

Putting a tablet interface on a M+KB device was a stupid idea, no matter how easy it is to get around it

oh OK let me just clean up your poo poo before I start using this OS microsoft NBD

it really isn't a big deal but it's still dumb

i dont think its dumb i think its smart so theres a lot of compatibility between apps

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Windows 8 is great with Start8 and ModernMix. They cost money unlike Classic Shell, but holy crap its like Im using a better but cheaper version of Windows 7!

dadrips
Jan 8, 2010

everything you do is a balloon
College Slice
the highlight of reformatting your PC & reinstalling Windows 98
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUN1T6peNIw

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Woah theyre releasing new non-pro Surface 3s. Theyre way weaker and smaller and lighter but theyre cheaper and run REAL windows unlike the old non-pro Surfaces.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

dadrips posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUN1T6peNIw
(Re)installing XP was the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKricIeeru0

:unsmith:

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone
voted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miZHa7ZC6Z0

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Jesus gently caress I still twitch when I hear that. gently caress you and all your slipstreamed sound drivers!

dadrips posted:

This was the only time I think I've ever seen the little drummer ploy. :monocle:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Log off
Shut down

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

ctrl-alt-BAHLEETED!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6K_Vi4qCtY

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
why do people want the start button back so badly? winkey + s for life. fences is pretty cool though.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

calusari posted:

why do people want the start button back so badly? winkey + s for life. fences is pretty cool though.

people don't want the start menu back that's a complete misunderstanding by the tech media and Microsoft, they want to get rid of the horrible full screen interface you have to look at every time you open an application with Windows key plus first three chars of the application name

classicshell and or launchy solves the problem. launchy is cool.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Guess how you get into safemode in Windows 8. Get ready to laugh.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
prepping laughter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

a bone to pick posted:

Guess how you get into safemode in Windows 8. Get ready to laugh.

how

• Locked thread