Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
favorite windows?
NT
ME
XP
Vista
View Results

• Locked thread
Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Tbh i dont know either, so im curious

E: which imo, is a testament to the,OS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
You hold shift + F8 and hit the restart button from inside windows.

:cawg:

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

!!!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
initiating laughter mode

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
laughter mode initiated.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
commencing laughter.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
ha.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

a bone to pick posted:

so wait

because

i use the restart button by hitting alt f4

so you have to go to the metro thing and hold that down and find that button?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

default sounds in win8 are nicer than win7

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
remember when you forgot your speakers were turned up really loud and you decided to get on the family computer late at night and the windows login music shat out loud enough to make the dog bark

gently caress windows noises

Muerte
Jan 22, 2015

In my teen years I threw a Windows ME computer through my wall. My mom was not happy but she understood.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

hey remember Microsoft promoting Windows 7 launch parties? lul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cX4t5-YpHQ

dadrips
Jan 8, 2010

everything you do is a balloon
College Slice

Fetus Tree posted:

remember when you forgot your speakers were turned up really loud and you decided to get on the family computer late at night and the windows login music shat out loud enough to make the dog bark

gently caress windows noises
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxKAQq85ueg
the solid 50 seconds of TADA.WAV and CHIMES.WAV at the start made me laugh far too much

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
So what exactly made 8 so much better than 7, assuming you just got through clearing up whatever annoying UI kinks.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Wicker Man posted:

So what exactly made 8 so much better than 7, assuming you just got through clearing up whatever annoying UI kinks.

I dont think its better personally for what i use it for, since 7 was really stable too. But it is imo, more stable even than 7.

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:

Wicker Man posted:

it has a better task manager at the cost of a worse start menu

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

a bone to pick posted:

Sure makes fixing one that won't start a ton of fun

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
is windows 10 good? should i try the tech preview

w7 -> w8 actually gave a decent increase in fps in games, is there a similar w8 -> w10 boost?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Pendent posted:

Sure makes fixing one that won't start a ton of fun

theres a way to get into safe mode from outside Windows I'm almost 100% posi

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

i dont think you can reliably get into safe mode in windows 8 pre-boot cause it loads too fast

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

TEAYCHES posted:

i dont think you can reliably get into safe mode in windows 8 pre-boot cause it loads too fast

yeh this is why windows 8 sux rite :smugdog:

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
I miss arexx

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Fetus Tree posted:

yeh this is why windows 8 sux rite :smugdog:

It is legitimately a huge pain in the rear end

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Pendent posted:

It is legitimately a huge pain in the rear end

how often do you have to boot windows 8 to safe mode because it wont load at all. its at most a minor inconvenience. use a bootable usb fagg

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
ive got 2 PCs on win 8 and have never even had to at all, or come close

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
yeah its great to remove useful things for no reason fuk yeh!!!!

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

VideoGames posted:

yeah its great to remove useful things for no reason fuk yeh!!!!

the reason is to have the fastest boot time possible. considering how stable windows 8 is, who gives a gently caress

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

TEAYCHES posted:

how often do you have to boot windows 8 to safe mode because it wont load at all. its at most a minor inconvenience. use a bootable usb fagg

Since I stopped doing PC support? Never. I had it happen a few times when I did though and wasn't pleased with the functionality for startup repair at all. It all felt like a huge step backwards to me

E: I don't care how stable something is people will break it because they are bad at computers

Pendent fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 7, 2015

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

my job is windows computer janitor and i dont think ive ever had to safe boot windows 8

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

if you cant boot your windows 8 machine your drive is probably dying and you are gonna have to clone that poo poo anyway

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

TEAYCHES posted:

the reason is to have the fastest boot time possible. considering how stable windows 8 is, who gives a gently caress

hahaah you loving idiot. "DOESNT HAPPEN TO ME FUK EVERYONE ELSE!!!" nice attitude

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

VideoGames posted:

hahaah you loving idiot. "DOESNT HAPPEN TO ME FUK EVERYONE ELSE!!!" nice attitude

i help support 50 clients running microsoft environments irl

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

TEAYCHES posted:

i help support 50 clients running microsoft environments irl

i am glad i am not your client

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

VideoGames posted:

i am glad i am not your client

me too, you are subhuman and i no longer respect you on these something awful forums you are dead to me

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

TEAYCHES posted:

my job is windows computer janitor and i dont think ive ever had to safe boot windows 8

VideoGames posted:

yeah except THS is probably representative of 95% of win8 users, as am i probably, so basically, its you that is the outlier here sorry

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

who remembers trying to make a loving basket in this poo poo

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

TEAYCHES posted:

if you cant boot your windows 8 machine your drive is probably dying and you are gonna have to clone that poo poo anyway

Like I said, not my thing anymore. It did end up having a hosed up hard drive as I think about it. It was also much more annoying to diagnose than it needed to be.

Oh yeah. gently caress windows. Cisco 4 lyfe.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

people don't want the start menu back that's a complete misunderstanding by the tech media and Microsoft, they want to get rid of the horrible full screen interface you have to look at every time you open an application with Windows key plus first three chars of the application name

the start screen is actually pretty unobjectionable to me; i like being able to group poo poo and since they patched in the proper right click menus and desktop wallpaper as the background it feels less jarring.

the real problem is everything else to do with the metro poo poo. the weird charms bar with its horrible clunky hot corners and the huge, unwieldy, carpal tunnel inducing mouse movements necessary to interact with any metro app. that and and if you perform any window management at all (moving them around) the metro interface destroys any muscle memory you had and actually feels weirdly offensive

also the metro branding was actually ok and they really should've come to a deal with whoever they nicked it off, what with the current names for it being either unofficial and a sentence long [see: 'the interface formerly known as metro'] or official and utterly useless [see: 'windows apps']

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

TEAYCHES posted:

me too, you are subhuman and i no longer respect you on these something awful forums you are dead to me

that is ok. i am dead. you can see from my av.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
My parents went and bought a Windows 8.1 PC without consulting me when their win7 PC died even though I could have shipped them a really good refurb from work for free.

I loving hate 8.1 and it confuses me despite the fact that I've been doing IT for well over a decade.

I got teamvierer installed and the files from their old PC in the right spots but gently caress me I'm not touching it anymore. By the time I actually get that thing running well either they or my bro in law will gently caress it up anyway and have to use the system restore.

• Locked thread