Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Often on the Internet and in other places I see and hear people disparaging Home Improvement, the television situation comedy starring Tim Allen as Toolman Tim. I don't think this is entirely fair to the show and its fanbase. While some of the jokes may be dated (after all this is a decades old television program), the core ethics and good family-centered values of the show are timeless and thus the show itself is not without merit on that alone. The slapstick humor, usually involving aforementioned Toolman Tim getting into trouble with one of his beloved tools, will always remain just as funny as when it was first aired. The love/hate relationship between Tim and partner Al still hold up as well and there's a lot of humor to explore between the two of them. The show within a show concept was pretty clever and not something that has been done much before or since.

In closing, if someone ever says "Home Improvement was a bad" all I have to say to them is "I don't think so, Tim." Also their name just happens to be Tim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amos Moses
Oct 13, 2012

by Ralp
Show owned.

Tool Time owns.

Heidi owns.

Al owns.

Tim The Toolman Taylor owned.

Wilson taught me about life. Tim taught me how to be a good TV dad.

gently caress all haters.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Hoe Improve Men

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Only reason I ever watch it is because Tiffany Amber Thiessen was pretty hot as the daughter back then.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
jonathan taylor thomas :swoon:

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Amos Moses posted:

Show owned.

Tool Time owns.

Heidi owns.

Al owns.

Tim The Toolman Taylor owned.

Wilson taught me about life. Tim taught me how to be a good TV dad.

gently caress all haters.

How could I forget Wilson, that wellspring of knowledge from behind the fence next door.

Truly, this show was divine, a gift from the gods.

Topographic Nap
Apr 22, 2007

did fat Jill and Al ever have a steamy plus sized romance behind the scenes? did Wilson film it? Aughhhhhhhhhhhhh

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

I believe we came from apes.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Sir John Feelgood posted:

I believe we came from apes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQwYNca4iog

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Slugnoid posted:

jonathan taylor thomas :swoon:

like every tween girl in my class got wet for him

Captain Turner
Oct 2, 2014

by Ralp

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

:flashfap:

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
How can the N-word be bad coming out of my mouth if I clearly am not racist?

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Pz2gI_v_II

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
Question: I never got to see the conclusion of this series, but did they ever manage to improve that wily home (spoiler alert for those who haven't gotten to see the finale to this masterpiece and don't want it ruined for them in case someone who saw it gets back to me re: this q)?

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

AAAAUUUUUGGHHUUUUUHHH?!!?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

home improvement is loving dope as hell

i liked the one where they had dinner over at wilsons house and the pans hanging in the kitchen were set up so you still never saw his face it was p funny

also the man's kitchen/gym/bathroom/etc were funny as gently caress

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005
old people itt

tool time would be funny if it was from the point of view of all the chill rear end mexicans actually building all this poo poo for white people

tool time 2.0 u could call it.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

home improvement is loving dope as hell

i liked the one where they had dinner over at wilsons house and the pans hanging in the kitchen were set up so you still never saw his face it was p funny

also the man's kitchen/gym/bathroom/etc were funny as gently caress

Classics.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Home Improvement = (1) fixing things around the house, (2) improving family relations.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF-XMtNEudQ

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Never got the hate for Home improvement.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
As a child I had a nightmare where my parents were abducted by aliens and Toolman Tim explained to me how it was a normal part of growing up and it was awkward to watch Home Improvement afterwards.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

times have been tought on JTT

Laughing Man
Feb 11, 2008
I thought what I’d do was pretend I was one of those deaf mutes, or something...
what did wilson's face look like? after all this time and internet access i've only managed to go looking for dr claws face (disappointed)

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Home Improvement = (1) fixing things around the house, (2) improving family relations.

Smart show, ahead of its tool time.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Remember when the youngest kid went full blown mall goth? Fuckin lol

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Wicker Man posted:

AAAAUUUUUGGHHUUUUUHHH?!!?

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
You're forgetting that tool time had to compete with Friends and Seinfeld two of the best sitcoms of all time

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Seizure Robot posted:

Remember when the youngest kid went full blown mall goth? Fuckin lol

The only episode I remember is when he was in the goth phase and got the family to help him film a horror movie. The climax of the episode revolved around a scene where he cuts off Tim Allen's character's head and the mom was scared he was actually going to do it because he was goth. IIRC the episode was ambiguous but suggested he was really thinking about doing it.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

i remember the show got weird when the kids grew up

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Tender Bender posted:

The only episode I remember is when he was in the goth phase and got the family to help him film a horror movie. The climax of the episode revolved around a scene where he cuts off Tim Allen's character's head and the mom was scared he was actually going to do it because he was goth. IIRC the episode was ambiguous but suggested he was really thinking about doing it.

They were always making you think, those toolmen.

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

professional swine bather
buzz lightyears house improvement

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014
I DON'T THINK SO TIM

AHAHAHAHAHA

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
A very special home improvement

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
the awning over my back porch has some damage. the gutter in particular is kind of hanging off in a spot and i've been wondering what exactly it would take to fix it. from the looks of it i'd need to remove the gutter and then replace a long wooden board that goes about halfway across the awning(going to say the board is maybe 10 feet total). that would be a good opportunity to clean the gutter, too. i haven't been up there with a ladder to check it out but i bet it's pretty gnarly.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Home Improvement Episode Outline:

Opening: Tim makes fool of himself at home or work by blowing something up after modifying it with more horsepower. Grunting sounds follow.

Conflict: Tim encounters life problem with children, wife, Al, etc. Tim fails at resolving problem after attempting to throw horsepower at problem. Grunting sounds follow.

Solution: Tim puts on Detroit Lions sweatshirt and walks into backyard holding football to encounter Wilson. Wilson listens to problem and gives Tim wisdom through riddle, haiku, Confucius quote, etc. Tim ponders newfound knowledge with a delightful grunting sound.

Conclusion: Tim takes newfound wisdom and butchers the meaning making him look like a moron. Tim takes a moment to translate wisdom into his man-language and gains approval. Grunting sounds follow.

Credits: Grunting sounds

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
http://detroitintheseventies.ytmnd.com/

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Jungle2Jungle occupies a shameful section in my memory and its kind of an alternate reality Home Improvement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Tool Time = (1) a showcase of Binford power tools, (2) Tim making a complete tool of himself.

• Locked thread