Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Hey SAS goons, looking to gauge interest in a baseball players thread. I'm not sure how many others around here actually play but if there's a few of us it might be cool to have a thread to discuss mechanics and how our seasons are going. Let me know if you play or if you have some coaching experience and are down to discuss.

Of course this isn't exclusive to players/coaches but I figure those people may be the most interested and likely to participate.

Popete fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
My playing experience mainly derives from the mechanics involved in lifting a beer from the hand upwards, but I'd love to read along

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
I just watched Mike Leake's home run, and his trot was really fast. That conjured the inkling of a memory I would like to revisit, but I am having trouble remembering who it was, so I need your help. I remember watching an episode of Sportscenter one morning where they played an inside the park homerun from the night before along a homerun trot from some other guy that night and the inside the park run was slower. I know Peralta had an inside the parker one year that was slower than some normal trots, but this one was special because it got out paced by a homer that very night. Does this ring a bell to anyone?

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Adam Rosales maybe? He practically sprinted around the bases when he played for the Reds.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Abner Assington posted:

Adam Rosales maybe? He practically sprinted around the bases when he played for the Reds.

I am not sure, but I just watched a bunch of Rosales' "trots" and I don't care if they were not it. Those were loving fantastic. If I ever find the clip I am thinking of I will post it.

alpha_destroy fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 1, 2015

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Popete posted:

Hey SAS goons, looking to gauge interest in a baseball players thread. I'm not sure how many others around here actually play but if there's a few of us it might be cool to have a thread to discuss mechanics and how our seasons are going. Let me know if you play or if you have some coaching experience and are down to discuss.

Of course this isn't exclusive to players/coaches but I figure those people may be the most interested and likely to participate.

My main fitness goal is to be in good enough shape to play for a rec team next spring, and I have never played baseball in my life so I'd love to hear about how to choose a batting stance, etc. etc.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Drunk Tomato posted:

My main fitness goal is to be in good enough shape to play for a rec team next spring, and I have never played baseball in my life so I'd love to hear about how to choose a batting stance, etc. etc.

I highly encourage you to try it. I'm mostly self taught, only playing in high school one year. But the internet has a lot to teach you and I've been reading and watching videos for the past few years. I decided on a whim to say gently caress it and try playing again and its been a lot of fun.

I'll start compiling a thread so keep an eye out.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I can contribute some sweet softball tips such as:

1. Drink beer

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

2. Under no circumstances be the guy that gives a poo poo about the outcome of the game

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Popete posted:

Sounds cool. Post it, by all means

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Adam Rosales does appear to be the fastest traditional trotter.

http://tatertrottracker.com/news/tater-trot-tracker-leaders-all-time.html

Baseball tips:

1) Keep your rear end down, get in front of the ball
2) Call it in the air, boys
3) bunts
4) know what the cutoff man is
5) attempt to interact with 4) in a team-friendly fashion
6) figure out which flavor of sunflower seeds is right for you

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

alpha_destroy posted:

I am not sure, but I just watched a bunch of Rosales' "trots" and I don't care if they were not it. Those were loving fantastic. If I ever find the clip I am thinking of I will post it.

Carlos Gomez vs braves the game after he and McCann go at it maybe?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Woah.

quote:

New York Mets @Mets
Roster note: The #Mets will recall Dilson Herrera from Las Vegas (AAA). A corresponding roster move will made on Friday.

Guess Sandy has seen enough of the dogshit middle infield.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
How the hell have the Astros won 11 of 12?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Popete posted:

I highly encourage you to try it. I'm mostly self taught, only playing in high school one year. But the internet has a lot to teach you and I've been reading and watching videos for the past few years. I decided on a whim to say gently caress it and try playing again and its been a lot of fun.

I'll start compiling a thread so keep an eye out.

I want to play baseball again but I kind of assumed that anything non-softball for 30 year olds would be lots of serious tryhards who are exponentially better than me.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

CaptainYesterday posted:

How the hell have the Astros won 11 of 12?

They have really good pitching and their bats are finally starting to wake up

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Inspector_666 posted:

I want to play baseball again but I kind of assumed that anything non-softball for 30 year olds would be lots of serious tryhards who are exponentially better than me.

It can be that or even worse: whiny tryhards that AREN'T good. But it can be a lot of fun as well. Just depends on what kind of teams your league gets.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Inspector_666 posted:

I had a buddy who went to one of those open tryouts you hear about every now and then years ago and he said most of the people there were like this. They have them to find really fast people or really strong arms (like the stuff you can't teach), but most of the people who showed up are exactly what you're thinking of.

But as long as you're reasonably in shape and have some idea of how to play the game you should have fun if you wanted to find a beer league. Just try to ignore the guys with anger issues.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Depending on where you live, it might be hard to find a league if you didn't play high school ball. I know near me it's pretty much impossible to find a rec league that's isn't competitive and filled with guys who played in either college or high school. If you don't have any experience, there's no shame in playing beer league softball.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

if you play softball you have to get black out drunk or get into a fight every game, which is up to you

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

I'm definitely into that thread.

I played all through growing up until I was 17. I was an okay player; one of the better ones on my team but very average overall. Never had a shot at college or anything so I figured I was done. This year (10 years later...) I lucked out and got onto a team in a recreational league here. I'm super rusty but it's all coming back. I even got to pitch a little while ago :D

e: also i'm the guy who gets black out drunk AND gets into a fight every game

Vetitum
Feb 29, 2008

I'd be up for this too! I play recreationally here in the UK, which has a surprisingly well organised league from its National Baseball League (mlb 'equivalent'), AAA and down to single A teams (I play for one of these).

It be great to have a place to have some of the more experienced players here share tips and coaching tactics etc.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

TheChaosPath posted:

2. Under no circumstances be the guy that gives a poo poo about the outcome of the game

The best advice and also the reason I look forward to my 35th birthday so I don't have to deal with the ultra competitive douchebag kids from Capitol Hill, who all wear spikes.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
The Capitol Hill Cobbs.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Adam Eaton had a rough night yesterday.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

IcePhoenix posted:

Adam Eaton had a rough night yesterday.

Sale murdered him after the game

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I don't think that first video was so bad?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

straight up brolic posted:

if you play softball you have to get black out drunk or get into a fight every game, which is up to you

I coach my daughter's 6-8 year old team. Our first practice tomorrow just took a weird left turn...

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Vetitum posted:

I'd be up for this too! I play recreationally here in the UK, which has a surprisingly well organised league from its National Baseball League (mlb 'equivalent'), AAA and down to single A teams (I play for one of these).

It be great to have a place to have some of the more experienced players here share tips and coaching tactics etc.

Can you tell me/us all about your baseball career? I didn't know there even was any sort of organized ball in the UK.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lumpy posted:

I coach my daughter's 6-8 year old team. Our first practice tomorrow just took a weird left turn...

Start them off with some near beer.

Alright it looks like a number of people are in. Look for the thread sometime this weekend I'll link in here when its up. Get ready for some hot takes and endless discussions on rotational vs linear hitting. Who covers 2nd during some innocuous play and other fun topics.

Please feel free to write up a mini guide on an area you know and I'll throw it in the OP. For instance, don't ask me about catching hopefully someone else knows how that wizardry works.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Harlock posted:

I don't think that first video was so bad?

A runner scored from first a a single because he jogged to the ball and then sort of held it instead of throwing it in. Arguably worse than the incredibly bad throw.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I played in an amateur hardball league at age 22. It was an excellent time minus the fact that commissioner was an alcoholic rear end in a top hat that fined players over trivial crap to pay his DUI fees.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

seiferguy posted:

I played in an amateur hardball league at age 22. It was an excellent time minus the fact that commissioner was an alcoholic rear end in a top hat that fined players over trivial crap to pay his DUI fees.

He sounds like Kenny Powers

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
Or Tony LaRussa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

It's May, fellas!

• Locked thread