Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Punting
Sep 9, 2007
I am very witty: nit-witty, dim-witty, and half-witty.

In the land of Ten Thousand Lakes, something stirs in the dark depths.

The waters of the Primordial Sea are disturbed. The blood of the Leviathans rises, scions of the ancient Progenitors awaken in the land of the Boundary Waters and the North Shore of the Great Lakes. Some of these scions are you - and others are those that will oppose you.

Something wicked slumbers in the vast, sea-like expanses of the Great Lakes, and it calls to you; to join it, or fight it, is your choice.

What will you do?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Welcome to the Northen Shore Chronicle! I've been a fan of the Leviathans since I first stumbled across the template months and months ago, and I've finally decided to run a test game and see how it all works. For those who aren't familiar with it, Leviathan: The Tempest is essentially a game of WoD Kaiju; you play the Deep One-esque descendants of ancient, primordial sea gods, struggling to balance your human, divine, and animal natures under the strain of life in a world that no longer fully accommodate you.

The Northern Shore is a chronicle using the fanmade Leviathan template that can be found here:

Leviathan Corebook

We will be using the 1st ed nWoD rules, mostly due to the fact that I'm not yet familiar with the GMC update, and since I've never run or played with Leviathan before, I want to make sure I'm familiar with the system.

Characters should be built using the XP-Based creation system, supplied here:

World of Darkness Megathread posted:

XP-Based Character Generation for World of Darkness

The XP values here are derived from the equivalent value of the highest XP allotment of dots at character generation. Unused XP from each category is saved and may later be spent in conjunction with XP earned during the game to increase the relevant category (or may be totalled and spent freely, at Storyteller discretion). Unlike in standard character creation, the cost of the fifth dot is not increased.

Begin with one dot in each Attribute (this is in addition to the XP listed below):

70 XP for primary Attributes.
(•••• 45 + ••• 25)
55 XP for secondary Attributes.
(•••• 45 + •• 10)
45 XP for tertiary Attributes.
(•••• 45)

Begin with no dots in any Skills:

78 XP for primary Skills.
(•••• 30 + •••• 30 + ••• 18)
48 XP for secondary Skills.
(•••• 30 + ••• 18)
30 XP for tertiary Skills.
(•••• 30)

9 XP for 3 Skill Specialities.
(Flat cost of 3*3)

3 XP for purchasing a Swimming specialty for Athletics.

42 XP for Merits, Sheol, and Eldritch Lore/Rituals

48 XP for purchasing Vestiges and Adaptations
( 15 (Strain Vestige) + 15 (Favored Vestige) + 18 (Any, Non-favored Vestige) )

20 Bonus XP to spend on anything.

As hinted at by the brief opening, this chronicle is set in Minnesota, near the North Shore and the Boundary Waters National Park. Your character should have a reason for being there - it doesn't need to be elaborate, as long it makes sense.

Also keep in mind that much of the Leviathan template's powers revolve around transformation and shapeshifting; please make sure to develop some sort of rough guide to the forms and shapes your character takes through the many stages of shapeshifting, and what sort of creature they become when their inhuman nature is fully manifested.

Make sure you're familiar with all the basic bits of the template, such as the Wake and the seven stages of transformation, and pay close attention the mechanics of your powers (Channels); there's a lot of complexity, and unfortunately the format of the text is a bit...dry. I'm looking for a group of three to six players, at the very least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Interest post!

I won't be able to give it a propper look until tomorrow. But I'll come up with something!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Is this beginner friendly? I have the core NWoD book but never really got to play it.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Good lord the vestige stuff is dense and poorly written and formatted.

Working on a Bahamut monstrosity, but the vestige section is just so terrible compared to the rest of it. Especially some of the channels, that have a whole ton of effects that diverge widely for no apparent reason.

Punting
Sep 9, 2007

Len posted:

Is this beginner friendly? I have the core NWoD book but never really got to play it.

Yes. The Leviathan stuff is a little dense but I'm more than happy to have new players get involved, and I'll try to help as much as my free time / work schedule allows.

Cynic Jester posted:

Good lord the vestige stuff is dense and poorly written and formatted.

Working on a Bahamut monstrosity, but the vestige section is just so terrible compared to the rest of it. Especially some of the channels, that have a whole ton of effects that diverge widely for no apparent reason.

That is one of the major issues with the system. Let me know if you have any questions, I can (probably?) answer some of them.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Punting posted:

Yes. The Leviathan stuff is a little dense but I'm more than happy to have new players get involved, and I'll try to help as much as my free time / work schedule allows.

That is one of the major issues with the system. Let me know if you have any questions, I can (probably?) answer some of them.

I'll try and look over things tonight then and make a character. If I get too insufferable with newbie questions let me know and I'll back out.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART

Len posted:

I'll try and look over things tonight then and make a character. If I get too insufferable with newbie questions let me know and I'll back out.

I'm very much the same as Len, this looks like a really neat system/concept and hopefully I'll be able to write something up that fits.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
Another newbie to the mix! I'm a complete newcomer to WoD in general, having never played it outside of my time spent with the VtM: Bloodlines PC game, so I'll probably make loads of mistakes.

Punting
Sep 9, 2007

Classtoise posted:

Another newbie to the mix! I'm a complete newcomer to WoD in general, having never played it outside of my time spent with the VtM: Bloodlines PC game, so I'll probably make loads of mistakes.

No worries, newbies very welcome!

Some inspirational critters.

More weird and inspirational sea critters.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrJCITOT0H8

Deep Sea creature documentary for more INSPIRATION. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrJCITOT0H8

I wanna see some weird monsters here people!

Punting fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 6, 2015

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Building backwards (and reading through the first couple chapters of the book) the vibe I really want to play around with would involve one of those scammy Prosperity Gospel faith healers. There's just so much that would fit into the Tribe dynamic, obscure secretive mysticism, turf wars and unspoken doctrine about encounters between preachers and their territories, plus the weird and possibly horrifying inbred cousins angle. Putting Beloved and other normal humans into danger with ad-hoc baptisms in random bodies of water is the icing on the cake.

So I'm tentatively thinking teen preacher, School of the Abyss, Lahamin strain, who has purposefully withdrawn from faith healing and associated relationships because of a spiritual crisis brought about by a sudden onset of supernatural awareness and freaky changes. Probably because of a horrifying change or stress-related puking on national Pray-o-vision Tv.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
Another newbie here, posting interest. I am all about them sea monsters.

Izzy
Mar 22, 2010

Gibbering in the void
Looks interesting! I'm from Duluth, and having eldritch monstrosities in the lake here explains so much :argh: I'll give the rules a read and see if I can come up with something.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Really hope this plays all the way through! Good luck!

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Think I'm leaning towards a Tanninim, Reef school. Packing Fluid Icon of Grace, Mind in Motion, and Stalkers shifting hide.

Possibly an ex-policeman, or a detective turned PI. I'm still playing around with the concept.

Punting
Sep 9, 2007

Puppies are dicks posted:

Building backwards (and reading through the first couple chapters of the book) the vibe I really want to play around with would involve one of those scammy Prosperity Gospel faith healers. There's just so much that would fit into the Tribe dynamic, obscure secretive mysticism, turf wars and unspoken doctrine about encounters between preachers and their territories, plus the weird and possibly horrifying inbred cousins angle. Putting Beloved and other normal humans into danger with ad-hoc baptisms in random bodies of water is the icing on the cake.

So I'm tentatively thinking teen preacher, School of the Abyss, Lahamin strain, who has purposefully withdrawn from faith healing and associated relationships because of a spiritual crisis brought about by a sudden onset of supernatural awareness and freaky changes. Probably because of a horrifying change or stress-related puking on national Pray-o-vision Tv.

Sounds good! Just keep in mind, with regard the sudden onset bit, that the change for Leviathan is not a swift process - it's long and drawn out, like a changeling's Durance, and is basically the worst bits of werewolf puberty ("what the gently caress is wrong with my everything") and the trippiest parts of a mage Awakening ("WHAT SECRETS LURK IN THE HEARTS OF MEN, THE SHADOW KNOWS") stretched over weeks, months, or even years.

Arashiofordo3 posted:

Think I'm leaning towards a Tanninim, Reef school. Packing Fluid Icon of Grace, Mind in Motion, and Stalkers shifting hide.

Possibly an ex-policeman, or a detective turned PI. I'm still playing around with the concept.

Sounds cool, don't see any mechanical issues with those choices, so it's good!

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

"Jennifer? Are you ok in there? It's your Uncle Peter-Ray."

She could see him. Through the closed door, across the room, and through the thick cocoon of downy comforters and pillows she'd wrapped around herself Jennifer could see him and as she did something deep in her guteyes shifted and the nausea hit her so hard again that she bit through her cheek clamping it back down. Or it was her imagination. Probably her imagination. Definitely.

"Go away!"

Her mind raced. How could he have followed her? She'd burned the credit cards, smashed her phone, thrown away the entire contents of her purse after a mind-bending moment of seeing the microcosm of life and movement within the bag cancerously spreading outwards from her discarded kleenex, and the petty cash she'd lifted from the donation box had paid for a confusing series of cabs, zipcars, bicycle rentals, and fly-by-night hotel rooms as she ran blindly and instinctively north. Was he tracking her somehow? Did he know?

"I'm fine! Everything's ok!"

Jennifer wrapped her arms around herself and curled in absolute fear at the prospect. What if he called the police? Or the government? Or some kind of church... group? She wobbled towards the side of the bed facing the window and wondered at the feasibility of making the twenty foot drop safely. She did have a lot of blankets.

"Everything's ok, Uncle Peter-Ray! I just uh- I'm super embarrassed because of what happened on tv is all! Gonna need some time to find myself, get to uh- know me and all..."

She tried the window, finding it locked with some sort of security bolt and frowned. Instinctively she turned to the tub without fully knowing whyshe knew why

"Jennifer we need to talk. What happened on tv was unfortunate but you can't just run off on your own like that girl. There's things you need to know. Family things."

"Uh-huh. This... isn't a great time for me right now Uncle Peter-Ray."

She'd left the tub full. She wasn't sureshe was why she'd left the tub full with the bath drawn, but in its own way the deep reservoir of standing water comforted her with its mere presence. Jennifer waffled between fear and indecision.

"Not really feeling the Christ-love or very confident on getting back on top of that stage right now."

She finished her sentence lamely and lifted her veil of protective blankets to dip a toe tentatively into the tub. Huh. Pleasantly ice cold.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Punting posted:

Sounds good! Just keep in mind, with regard the sudden onset bit, that the change for Leviathan is not a swift process - it's long and drawn out, like a changeling's Durance, and is basically the worst bits of werewolf puberty ("what the gently caress is wrong with my everything") and the trippiest parts of a mage Awakening ("WHAT SECRETS LURK IN THE HEARTS OF MEN, THE SHADOW KNOWS") stretched over weeks, months, or even years.

Well I was thinking a general attitude of confusion, distrust, and disgust with humanity and the world as her Awareness slowly manifests, which climaxed with a scene on nearly national television where she may have grown a horrible eye where there was no eye before (and stress-puked to cover it up). In other circumstances Jennifer might have been School of Sun or Fog, but for the fact that being disgusted by humanity's flaws is no new news for a faith healer but the personal body horror of growing omni-vision eyes inside of her stomach is just too drat much.

Still kind of waffling on what other Vestiges to go for though. I like Awareness/Sanctity since they fit the vibe, but I'm also hoping to find a middle ground between someone that can make helpful insights and a completely combat useless character. And I'm probably going to go with some sort of Lahmasu Retainer (Uncle Peter-Ray maybe?) if you're up for the idea of working out some sort of shadowy family planning that I can be shocked by/try running away from.

Punting
Sep 9, 2007

Well if you go Lahamin an Awareness Vestige is required, but if you're worried about combat do keep in mind that Strain has access to both Predation (for straight-up murderhoboing), and Fecundity (Which can allow you to make monsters that do the murderhoboing for you). Granted, the Fecundity route requires twice the investment in Channels, but it could fit a sort of "And let THEM be fruitful and multiply" vibe if you want to get biblical with it.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Fecundity looks good, being able to literally vomit forth horrifying monsters (Womb of Terrors) seems cool. Probably going to have Physical Attributes be my tertiary but it could still work out ok and I suppose realistically it doesn't make a lot of sense to be particularly fleet of foot or beefy as a preacher/seer into the hearts of men. Now I just need to find a picture of some sort of fish that's primarily made of eyes, tentacles(or claws), and teeth.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

I'm torn between two ideas, at the moment.

A Bahamutan who feels herself far too "big" for the world. Struggling more than anything to just "fit in" (literally, sometimes).

Or a Thallasan. Not so much struggling to fit in, but still terrified of what her heritage truly "means". She's more or less an outcast in the human world, as she met an Atoll and refused to let him go.
Literally.
I am saying she literally actually kidnapped someone and held them against their will for almost two months. But! Being what she is, and the Atoll being the only one in the courtroom not unwittingly terrified of her heritage, it was a short trial and she was found not guilty by reason of insanity (and subsequently found mentally stable when, again, her psychiatrist seemed afraid to tell her this was an unhealthy attitude) People tend to leave her alone, if only because no one thinks the story is entirely true ("there's no way with all that evidence and a witness she got off scot free, that's not her").

I feel like the second idea has more legs (:v:) honestly.

Classtoise fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 7, 2015

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

"As you can clearly see, the fight was long over, and in the back there, you see the ref desperately trying to stop the fight, but van Graf just doesn't stop. Look into those eyes and tell me this was an accident. Getting banned for life was a very light sentence. In my opinion, this was murder. The last 6 or 7 punches he threw before Cole hit the ground were the only reason Cole stayed upright. Of course, no one has seen van Graf since that fateful evening 5 years ago but tonight, we have a guest that claims to have met him while fishing out on the coast of Maine. Join us after the break when we try to find out what van Graf has been up to these past few years."

Noah had it all. The perfect upper class family, a loving home and a physique that made average people look like hobbits in comparison. He started boxing in high school and quickly made a name for himself as an excellent technical boxer, relying not only on his natural abilities but instead focusing on defense and counters, a style that frustrated most opponents he came across. Gradually though, his style got rougher and rougher. Where once he had been praised for excellent footwork and precise counters, the only thing people could compliment now was the sheer aggressiveness of his fighting style. Nobody picked up on the change until it was too late. In a fight against a very defensive fighter, Noah lost it. Completely ignoring defense, Noah waded in, ignoring the accurate counters hitting him and unleashing a wave of aggression unlike anything he'd felt before. The sheer absurdity that his tiny opponent would try to challenge him triggered something deep in his psyche and by the time he regained control of his faculties, his opponent was already falling down, blood flowing freely across his face.

The rest of the day passes in something of a haze. His parents explain how they will quash any legal actions that might be taken. His trainer speaks of how they can leverage connections and bribes to ensure that there will be no lasting repercussions for his career. His agent explaining how this is actually a good thing and will do wonders for his 'bad guy' image. At some point Noah just breaks. The entire incident clashes completely with how he views himself and his boxing. And the trainer who had been beating into him the rules and regulations of boxing for half a decade was acting completely out of character, as was his parents. Everything was wrong.

The next morning he headed to a bank and withdrew all the funds he could get his hands on, leaving his career and his life behind. In the years since, he's been living off the grid in the wilderness, trying to come to terms with who and what he is slowly becoming. He met a few like himself, but they had no answers and Noah couldn't help but be suspicious of them. After all, he lost it. Who is to say the ones like him won't do the same.

Most recently, van Graf has been wandering the East Coast along the shore of the Atlantic, but after a tourist out fishing recognized him, he started making his way west along the great lakes.

pre:
Name: Noah van Graf                 Concept: Boxer turned survivalist   Strain: Bahamutan
Virtue: Fortitude                   Vice: Wrath                         School: Abyss(ish)

Attributes:

Intelligence *   	            Strength  ***                       Presence     **
Wits         ***                    Dexterity ***                       Manipulation *
Resolve      ***                    Stamina   ***                       Composure    ****

Skills:

Mental (-3)                         Physical (-1)                       Social (-1)
Academics:                          Athletics:     ****  (Swimming)     Animal Ken:     ***  (Animal needs)    
Computer:       *                   Brawl:         ****  (Boxing)       Empathy:        **	
Crafts:         ***                 Drive:                              Expression:     * 	
Investigation: 	                    Firearms:            	        Intimidation:   ***  (Stare downs)
Medicine:       **                  Larceny:        	                Persuasion: 	
Occult:                             Stealth:       **                   Socialize:      	 
Politics:                           Survival:      **    (Coastal)      Streetwise:	
Science:                            Weaponry:                           Subterfuge: 	 

Vestiges (Vitality, Might, Awareness)
Lifeblood of Titans (Ancestral Channel)
Flesh of the Progenitors (Ancestral Channel)
Fluid Icon of Grace (Ancestral Channel)

Merits
Fighting Style (Boxing) ***
Giant ***
Fleet of Foot **
Iron Stamina *
Fame *
Direction Sense *

Health 9/9
Size 6
Speed 11
Initiative 7  
Defence 3
Armour 0
Willpower 7/7
Tranquility 7
Sheol 2
Ichor 12/12
Ichor/turn 2

Bonus Experience Expenditure:
5 pts into Mental group for a total of 50 pts to spend
5 pts into Physical group for a total of 75 pts to spend
10 pts for more merits, 52 pts total
+3 XP from Vestiges(45/48), banked.

Cynic Jester fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Apr 10, 2015

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I think instead of playing along I'll read along just to see what WoD is like. That way next time a WoD thread pops up I'll be able to play along without being the Slow Guy. I didn't get a chance to read anything and I'm not sure when my work schedule will let up so I can.

Punting
Sep 9, 2007

Classtoise posted:

I'm torn between two ideas, at the moment.

A Bahamutan who feels herself far too "big" for the world. Struggling more than anything to just "fit in" (literally, sometimes).

Or a Thallasan. Not so much struggling to fit in, but still terrified of what her heritage truly "means". She's more or less an outcast in the human world, as she met an Atoll and refused to let him go.
Literally.
I am saying she literally actually kidnapped someone and held them against their will for almost two months. But! Being what she is, and the Atoll being the only one in the courtroom not unwittingly terrified of her heritage, it was a short trial and she was found not guilty by reason of insanity (and subsequently found mentally stable when, again, her psychiatrist seemed afraid to tell her this was an unhealthy attitude) People tend to leave her alone, if only because no one thinks the story is entirely true ("there's no way with all that evidence and a witness she got off scot free, that's not her").

I feel like the second idea has more legs (:v:) honestly.

An interesting set of possibilities, though I think the fact that you spent a sentence on one idea and a paragraph on the other says it all.

Puppies are dicks posted:

Fecundity looks good, being able to literally vomit forth horrifying monsters (Womb of Terrors) seems cool. Probably going to have Physical Attributes be my tertiary but it could still work out ok and I suppose realistically it doesn't make a lot of sense to be particularly fleet of foot or beefy as a preacher/seer into the hearts of men. Now I just need to find a picture of some sort of fish that's primarily made of eyes, tentacles(or claws), and teeth.

Perhaps a Sacculina crab? :v:

Cynic Jester posted:

Noah van Graf

Very nice. Also, as a sidenote, being somewhat experienced Leviathans you can start with full Ichor pools - it's not particularly difficult to regain Ichor, and this template is a lot more dependent on their unique form of supernatural currency than most.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Hey Punting, how are you handling leftover XP in categories? Banking it or combining it into the bonus pool?

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Time to name that Pokemon!

Is it a Cthonic horror? Photoshop? You decide.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Another question to add to my first. How do the Depth social penalties interact with Beloved? The book doesn't specify, but I imgine a Beloved will have a different reaction to a Levithan's true form then a random joe off the street.

Punting
Sep 9, 2007

I have no idea what that thing is.

For leftover XP goes you can lump it into the bonus pool as you're not deliberately shorting yourself - don't abuse it and we're good. As far as Depth social penalties, since the Beloved are based around intense, fawning obsession, I'm going to rule that the Depth penalties count as bonuses, as long as you behave in a manner that reinforces your cult mythology or their specific psychoses.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
It's a flamingo!

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Andrew King

Character Sheet

The man got off the bus into town, a big fellow in tow carrying both of their bags. He’d just gotten to the area, looking for a chance to build a life of his own, to carve out a place that would be all his own. It helped that Minnesota was about as far away from where he’d spent his life up to this point as it was possible to be, metaphorically at least.

Looking over the landscape, his eyes drawn inexorably in the direction of the closest of the lakes by some strange almost magnetic attraction, the man thought back to what had brought him here. He never knew his parents, the only thing he’d ever gotten from them was his name, Andrew King. He spent most of his childhood bouncing around the foster-care system. He’d finally fallen into a more or less permanent situation, his foster mother didn’t seem to particularly care about him or have much money at home, but at least there was some stability in his life. He’d done well enough in school, he’d never been very smart, but he worked hard.

The biggest turning point had been high school. He’d managed to get a scholarship to the fancy local private school. The kind where every other student was the son or daughter of some Fortune 500 CEO and parents bought their kids sports cars. He never fit in. It turned out that being the poor kid let into the rich kids school was the social kiss of death. He was bullied constantly. One person in particular, Leonard Richardson, made it his personal goal in life to make sure Andrew’s life a living hell. Leonard, called Leo by pretty much everyone in the school, was your typical sort of bully. He was big and strong and had the viciousness to make use of those assets. His parents were filthy rich and connected enough that the school would never lift a finger to stop him as long as he stayed away from any of the other big fish’s children.

High school was hell, and with basically no support at home, there was more than one time that Andrew thought about ending it all. Things changed, however, in a way the teenager could never have expected. At first, it was like a light had gone on, suddenly everything was different. Andrew was filled with drive, and it seemed the rest of the world could tell. Suddenly rooms would fall silent when he entered, people would clear the way for him.

When the stranger changes started to come, Andrew’s sole source of support came from the most unexpected of places. Ever since that first day, Leonard’s behavior had been different. The bullying had continued for a time, but it was half-hearted and listless before it ceased entirely. Over the next month or so, Andrew would have sworn he could catch glimpses of Leonard staring intently at him. Rumors that Leonard was taking anti-depressants swirled around the school. Things came to head when Leo cornered Andrew alone after school, however rather than beating Andrew to a pulp the bully threw himself to his knees and begged his former victim for forgiveness. Andrew lashed out, inveighing against this person who made his life a living nightmare. Leo just quietly took whatever insults were thrown at him. In the heat of the moment, overwhelmed by the surge of his emotion experienced his first true Outbreak. Just like in his nightmares, his skin took on a iridescent tone and became something inhuman. Andrew shrunk back in terror at what he was becoming, but he was frozen in place when he in a panic looked at Leo, expecting to see a matching terror and disgust. Instead what he saw was awe, it was as though something had clicked inside of Leo’s brain, the obsession, the guilt and feelings of inferiority given a concrete cause. Leo, realizing that Andrew was looking at him, sunk into a deep and reverent bow, prostrating himself before his former victim and now master.

Without Leonard’s assistance and the boost to his self-image the former bully’s worshipful demeanor provided over the next few months, Andrew probably would have mentally collapsed under the weight of the awakening of his true heritage. Thanks to the change wrought in him by the Wake, Leonard now felt intense guilt for how he had once treated Andrew, and was all too happy to atone with a life of loyal service to his new god. It was Leo who first taught Andrew to fight. The feeling of excitement and power that brought him was like a revelation to the once shy boy.

After graduation, the two whiled away their time. While Leonard’s parents were disappointed that he didn’t go to college, they were generally too busy to care, and never really pressed the issue. For the next few years, Andrew spent most of his time going from underground fight to underground fight revelling in the chance to hone his skills and the rush of of unrestrained and often bloody combat, never staying in one group long enough to let his Wake truly set in. However, after a time that failed to satisfy, the death of Leonard’s parents provided an opportunity for new challenges. They had left their son a not insignificant amount of money, something he was all too eager to sign over to Andrew before the other even needed to ask.

Having come to terms with the changes to his body and learning the power it it granted him, Andrew turned to the other part of his change, the Wake. It was easy enough to use it, and his new riches to obtain admittance to a middle of the road university. Naturally, considering his goals, his study was in psychology. He wanted to learn to use the Wake to maximum advantage, and in Leo he had an eager subject to experiment on. If his professors had concerns on the focus on indoctrination and the process of breaking down a person's will and personality, they kept their concerns to themselves.

Graduating in just under four years, Andrew and Leo came to Minnesota, with more than enough money to set themselves up in whatever way Andrew might choose. It was a chance for him to put what he had learned into use, and carve out a permanent place for himself, and this was where he was going to do it.

Valhawk fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 11, 2015

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

pre:
Name: Jennifer Copeland             Concept: Disillusioned faith healer   Strain: Lahamin
Virtue: Prudence                    Vice: Envy                          School: Abyss

Attributes: Mental, Social, Physical priority (7/6/4)

Intelligence *** 	            Strength  *                         Presence     ***
Wits         ***                    Dexterity **                        Manipulation *** 
Resolve      **                     Stamina   ****                      Composure    ** 

Skills: Social, Mental, Physical priority (11/7/4)

Mental                              Physical                           Social    
Academics:                          Athletics:     **    (Swimming)     Animal Ken:          
Computer:                           Brawl:                              Empathy:        *** (Lies)	
Crafts:                             Drive:                              Expression:     *  	
Investigation: 	 *                  Firearms:            	        Intimidation:                     
Medicine:       ***** (Lev. Biology)Larceny:        	                Persuasion: 	***** (Sales Pitch)
Occult:                             Stealth:      **                    Socialize:      **	 
Politics:                           Survival:     **                    Streetwise:	
Science:                            Weaponry:                           Subterfuge: 	 

Vestiges
Awareness - Strain
Lambent Eyes of Judgment (Ancestral Channel)
Fecundity - Favored
Magnanimous Host to All (Ancestral Channel) - Symbiont Skill Medicine
Womb of Terrors (Descendant Channel)
(Adaptation: Open Hide*)

Merits:

Lahmasu Retainer ****
Cult ***
(Number **)
(Zeal ***)
(Fervor *)
(Offerings *)

Health 10
Size 6
Speed 8
Initiative 4 
Defence 3
Armour 0
Willpower 4/4
Tranquility 7
Sheol 2
Ichor 12/12
Ichor/turn 2
Still looking around and trying to figure out Vestiges and other associated math so this will be a work in progress. I expect to totally let my cult down until they come to Duluth and subsequently allow me to roll to recover their full loyalty, and possibly run away from them for a while because they're creepy and weird. Turns out Jennifer's clever, manipulative, and completely totally homeschooled because of crazy fundamentalist reasons. Knows about medicine and biology though from all that phony faith healing and secretly wanting to be a real doctor. Would it be wrong to go with a Skill Specialty: Medicine - Leviathan Biology? Represent how she's been conducting basic medical examinations on her own freakishly healthy body which has lesser leviathan-life crawling around in it?

Puppies are dicks fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 10, 2015

Punting
Sep 9, 2007

You need to fix your sheet a little Puppies. My math shows the following expenditures:

105 XP on Primary Attributes
80 XP on Secondary Attributes
55 XP on Tertiary Attributes

91 XP on Primary Skills
54 XP on Secondary Skills
18 XP Tertiary Skills

38 XP on Merits

0 XP on Skill Specialties

60 XP on Vestiges (+2 on Open Hide)

Even allowing for the bonus 20 XP, your character is roughly 58 XP overbudget. I'm also concerned since you've neglected to spend just under half of your tertiary skills XP on skills, and have bought no specialties beyond the free Swimming speciality, yet have multiple five-dot Skills and Attributes. Also please put down what dot-rank your Lamahsu Retainer is, please. Also also, yes, a Leviathan Biology speciality is perfectly alright.

To other players, please keep this post in mind, I'll be looking over sheets as I get time and I'll be double-checking to make sure your math is correct.

Edit:

Cynic Jester:

3 XP over on Tertiary Skills, 6 XP over on Secondary Skills, 9 XP over on Primary Skills. 10 over in Merits.

Valhawk:

5 XP under on Primary Attributes, 5 XP over on Secondary Attributes. 3 under on Secondary Skills, 6 over on Tertiary Skills. 20 over on Merits.

Please make sure that, when you're banking leftover XP, or spending the bonus XP, that you note what you bought and how much XP you shuffled into the bonus pool, so that I don't look at your sheet and go "Uh...wut?"

Punting fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 9, 2015

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Yep my math is still very wrong and a work in progress, I'll let you know when I've got everything looking mostly right enough for your approval. I've got the post open right now and will be gradually making edits over the course of the next few days probably.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Hey, Punting, did you check the Build tab. It's got a full accounting of how all the XP was spent. Its the second tab from the left. In between Sheet and Scratch Sheet.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
My sheet should be fixed. Fumbled some math somewhere.

Also, the 10 extra points in merits is from the bonus xp.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Oh thank god tomorrow is my Friday, so I can start working on my sheet.

I'm probably going with the second character. The Thallasan. I'll spend tomorrow after work reading up on building a character!

Punting
Sep 9, 2007

I did not see the Build tab earlier Valhawk, but now that it's pointed out I'm not even remotely sure how I missed it. :cripes:

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Logan’s hands were shaking so much that it took three attempts to light his cigarette and bring it to his lips, but he fought to keep his face impassive as he slumped against the wall of the mausoleum. This was enemy ground, had been enemy ground since he’d cut ties with his family -- since before, really. He would not show weakness here.

Slouching his shoulders against the wind, cupping his free hand to protect the vulnerable bud, Logan brought the cigarette up and took a long, slow drag. It helped. The nicotine did nothing to him, as far as he could tell, but there was something comforting in the ritual of smoking -- ducking out at set times every day, making flame, lighting paper, touching paper to lips, breathing ash. He could almost believe those stories about chain smokers who kicked by sucking on carrots and celery, the oral fix enough to make the cravings manageable all on its own.

“I’m surprised you came,” said a female voice behind him. “You were never one to face your problems head on.”

“I was surprised myself,” he said, “By the invitation mostly.”

She laughed, a high, brittle sound like the snapping noises an ice cap makes before collapsing into the sea. They were so similar in so many ways, his twin sister and he. Same high cheekbones, same full lips, same gaslamp blue eyes burning with repressed thoughts. Did his laugh sound like that? Did it matter? He couldn’t remember the last time he had laughed.

“Oh, you know. There’s a protocol in these kinds of situations, and we’re all bound to it, aren’t we? Even you, Lotan.”

“Logan,” he said, before he could stop himself.

“Oh, right. Logan. I forgot you’re calling yourself that now. It suits you. Tell me, why did you come, anyway, Logan? Needed to make sure the old man was really dead?”

“No,” he said. “It was only a matter of time. We’re not gods, Illya. Maybe we don’t die like most things, but we die, sooner or later. You of all people know that.”

“That almost sounds like an accusation.”

“It is.”

He studied her face, so like and yet so unlike his own. A predator’s face, with vulpine lines and greedy lips and baleful, hungry eyes. The Jaeger family bred true. Their ancestors had been the terror of the waters of Northern Europe in times immemorable, a symbol to generations of sailors for the power and the cruelty of the ocean. Sometimes worshipped, mostly appeased, they’d leveled whole villages in their wrath and grew fat from the sacrifices of the survivors. Later, they’d followed their prey to the New World, to this freshwater sea, and here too they’d had their fill of tribute, albeit a little more circumspectly. The Jaegers profited greatly from from the area’s industrial age boom, but they’d shown little sentimentality when the fall came. Duluth was the town where the Rust Belt began, and they’d helped it along, buying up failing companies and selling off the scraps, gorging themselves on the failures of weaker men. Now they were one of the most successful old money families in America, and their patriarch was dead. So here were his children among the tombstones, ready, it would seem, to fight for the scaps.

“How about you leave the accusations to me. Did you do it, Logan?”

“What? Me? Why would I…”

“Come on. You and our father never saw eye to eye, on anything. And you might have been cut out of the inheritance once you left, but it’s not as though we were making things easy for your little hometown renewal project. You could have…”

“Could I? Do you remember why I left? After everything, do you really think I’d be capable of something like that?”

There was a long silence before she answered.

“No,” she said, although her tone was less than definite. “I don’t. But I can’t afford to rule it out, either. It’s a tough time. We need to know who our friends and enemies are.”

“I’m neither.”

“I know. You’re family.”

Logan took another drag from his cigarette, and this time it did nothing to still his shaking hands.

“How did it happen?” he asked.

“We’re not sure. We found him in the garden, cold and stiff. Nobody heard anything and nothing was broken or burned, so there couldn’t have been a struggle. Poison maybe. I don’t know. Naturally, we can’t just let the police do an autopsy to find out. Officially, he died quietly in his sleep.”

“How are Seth and Alva taking it?” he asked, changing tack. He hadn’t seen his younger cousins since he’d left, 3 years ago.

“Hard. Seth’s barely speaking, Alva won’t come out of her room. I think it’s harder on them, not knowing. Olav and I have been doing our best to comfort them, but we’re both extremely busy at the moment, as you can imagine.”

“Maybe I could…” he trailed off, the words dying before he could speak them. His presence now might cause more confusion than comfort, and besides, he didn’t really want to go back to that house if he could help it.

“What I would appreciate would be for you to look into this,” she said. “Naturally we’re doing the same, but we don’t have to work together, not if you don’t want. Until we know what happened…”

“Right,” he said. “I was going to do that anyway. I need to know who did it, one way or another.”

“I’m not expecting regular reports, but do keep me in the loop if you find anything. I’ll do the same. Until then… could you do me one favor, Logan?”

“Yes?”

“Keep out of my way,” she said, and turned around to leave. There was a chill breeze off the lake, promising rain or sleet, this late in the season. Logan clutched his coat tighter and watched her walk away. Then he stubbed out his cigarette, sighed, and left.

pre:
Name: Lotan “Logan” Jaeger  VI             Concept: Black sheep of an insular clan   Strain: Oceanid
Virtue: Hope                  Vice: Pride                         School: Clay

Attributes:

Intelligence ****   	           Strength  **                        Presence     ***
Wits         **                    Dexterity ***                       Manipulation **
Resolve      **                    Stamina   **                        Composure    **

Skills:

Mental (-3)                         Physical (-1)                                Social (-1)
Academics: **                       Athletics: *** (Acrobatics)(Swimming)        Animal Ken:        
Computer: *                         Brawl:**                                     Empathy:       	
Crafts:                             Drive:                                       Expression:      	
Investigation: **	            Firearms: *** (Breath Attack)                Intimidation:  **** 
Medicine:                           Larceny:        	                         Persuasion: **** (Cutting deals)
Occult:                             Stealth: *                                   Socialize:      	 
Politics: ** (Local)                Survival:                                    Streetwise:	
Science:                            Weaponry:                                    Subterfuge: *** 	 

Vestiges (Sanctity, Predation)
Insidious Creature
Flesh of the Progenitors
Besieging Tower of Will
Hunter’s Terrible Beauty
The Hunter’s Blood

Merits
Resources 5 (30 XP)
Cult Numbers 1 (2XP)
Cult Zeal 2 (6XP)
Lungfish (2 XP)
Contacts (Business) (2XP)

Health 9/9
Size 5
Speed 11
Initiative 7  
Defense 2
Armor 0
Willpower 4/4
Tranquility 7
Sheol 1
Ichor 5/10
Ichor/turn 1

Bonus Experience Expenditure:
Hunters Blood 15xp
Tiamet’s Rage 10xp
Flesh of the Progenitors 18xp

Baby Babbeh fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 17, 2015

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Character sheet as it currently stands. I'll edit it a little bit more tomorrow, as well as add background stuff too.

- - -

Isn't the world a funny place? You spend years on the police force coming into contact with the worst poo poo the world can throw at you. I mean, some completely unspeakable acts of evil. For a good long while, that was my bread and butter, my day to day. Watching these filthy little monkeys murder, steal, lie and cheat one another.

And all along. I’m still the worst thing in the room.

I mean, being a shape sifting sea god thing isn’t all that bad. You meet interesting people, go interesting places. Occasionally you run into something no human should ever encounter. But that’s when you bust out the fins isn’t it?

I became a detective for one reason only. It is far, far easier to investigate any possible weirdness if you already have a reason to be snooping around. Plus with my office being staffed by nothing but my cult, I get pointed in all manner of interesting cases. The modern world is filled with all manner of conveniences. The cult can perform rituals disguised as team building exercise, morning wake up stretches and chants. Internet brings cases and leads from across the country to track down whatever weirdness rears its ugly head.

After all, justice is its own reward.

- - -

Harry Barber spent a good proportion of his early life in the Washington DC Police force. Working up through the ranks until he hit a brick wall in Homicide. One or two cases, unprovable by shear fact that the only way they could have been done was by supernatural means. Which obviously couldn’t have happened.

The supposed attacked was a member of the Luciferge, his alibi was solid, his cover perfect. Without being able to find a natural logical explanation why the victim was found in a locked room and burned to death beyond suicide, the Hunter was untouchable.

That would have been the end of it, but the victims were part of Barber’s family. Not his actual family. But his FAMILY. The old blood which flowed through his vanes called out for vengeance. Vengeance against those who would harm his blood. He quit the police force shortly after, and set up the ‘Deep Dive Private Investigation Agency’, using his contacts in the police to find the Hunter’s safe houses and over the course of months build a solid case against him. Dropping the police on him in the middle of a hunt.

Sure he could have torn him limb from limb. But there was a certain poetic justice in stopping a hunter with mortal constructs, like law, and rules. Besides, if it looked like he hosed up and got caught then there was no one for his buddies to target in revenge.

Now Barber works with his cult to track down threats to the leviathans, and stop them, be it through the law or through his divine blood. God help the poor fucker who roused the wrath of this demi-god.

pre:
Name: Harry Barber             Concept: Long suffering ex-cop turned PI   Strain: Tanninim
Virtue: Fortitude                    Vice: Pride                          School: Reef

Attributes: Mental, Social, Physical priority (70/55/45)

Intelligence  	  **   (10)       Strength       ***   (25)        Presence         **  (10)
Wits              ***  (25)       Dexterity      **    (10)        Manipulation     **  (10)
Resolve           **** (25+20)    Stamina        **    (10)        Composure        *** (25)

60/45/45 - 20 left over

Skills: Social, Mental, Physical priority (48/78/30)

Mental                                  Physical                           Social    
Academics:     ** (3+6)(law)            Athletics:  **** (18)(Swimming)    Animal Ken:          
Computer:      ** (9)                   Brawl:      * (3)                  Empathy:        * (3)    	
Crafts:                                 Drive:      ** (9)                 Expression:      	
Investigation: *** (18)(crime scenes)   Firearms:   ** (9)                 Intimidation:   ** (3+6)(Stare downs)               
Medicine:                               Larceny:    ** (9)                 Persuasion:     * (3)
Occult:        ** (9)                   Stealth:    *** (18)               Socialize:      * (3)  	 
Politics:                               Survival:                          Streetwise:     ** (9)
Science:       * (3)                    Weaponry:                          Subterfuge:     ** (9)

42/78/30 - 6 left over
Specialities (6/9) Swimming (3/3) School (3/3) - 3 left over

Vestiges (48)
 Predation - Strain
 Stalker's Shifting Hide (Ancestral Channel) (15)
 Might - Favored
 Fluid Icon of Grace (Ancestral Channel) (15)
 Mind in Motion (Descendant Channel) (15)
 (Adaptation: Force of the Tides) (+6)
 (Adaptation: Mind Over Matter) (+6)

45 - 3 left over

Merits: (42)

Sheol ** (16)
Status (Licenced Profecional - PI) ** (6)
Resorces ** (6)
Cult ** (numbers 1 / Fervor 1) (6)
Cult (Fervor) * (2)
Mandate of Babel * (2)
Temple *** (Size 1 / Secrity 1 / Amenities 1) (+12) [gatewater]

38 - 4 left over

Health 
Size 5
Speed 
Initiative  
Defence 
Armour 
Willpower 
Tranquility 
Sheol 2 (16)
Ichor 6/12
Ichor/turn 2

Bonus XP: 20+6+3+4+20+3=56
Resolve 4 (20)
Intimidation 2 (6)
Accademics 2 (6)
Adaptation: Force of the Tides (6)
Adaptation: Mind Over Matter (6)
Temple *** (Size 1 / Secrity 1 / Amenities 1) (12) 

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 16, 2015

Punting
Sep 9, 2007

Feedback for Baby Babbeh and Arashiofordo3:

I'm not fond of how much leftover XP you're ending up with after character creation, especially since a lot of it seems to being folded into powers rather attributes/skills/merits, but I don't see any incorrect math yet. Also, Baby Babbeh, clean up the sheet a bit if you could, your skills are all wonky and off-center.

Other than that, your character concepts seem pretty solid. Same for Valhawk and Cynic Jester; unless you all choose to leave the game, you four should consider yourselves accepted. Puppies are dicks, consider your character also tentatively accepted, as soon as you fix your sheet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Punting posted:

Feedback for Baby Babbeh and Arashiofordo3:

I'm not fond of how much leftover XP you're ending up with after character creation, especially since a lot of it seems to being folded into powers rather attributes/skills/merits, but I don't see any incorrect math yet. Also, Baby Babbeh, clean up the sheet a bit if you could, your skills are all wonky and off-center.

Other than that, your character concepts seem pretty solid. Same for Valhawk and Cynic Jester; unless you all choose to leave the game, you four should consider yourselves accepted. Puppies are dicks, consider your character also tentatively accepted, as soon as you fix your sheet.

To be fair though, my biggest saving of 20xp from attributes goes right back into it to increase by resolve to 4 dots. Powers wise, I've only invested 12xp into two adaptions. Everything else has gone on merits and skills. It's just unfortunate that I wasn't able to invest the Xp to up more of my skills.

Main reason is I want my cult to be my detectives agency and our temple our offices. The rituals are conducted almost like team building excersizes. Altered to fit the modern world. If it's possible to have the office without the temple then I can look at boosting more of my skils. Mainly social and knowledge.

• Locked thread