Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Foid One
Mar 2, 2015

by Ralp
What is the best way to catch up
On goku lore which my GBS friends have posted about many times of late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
u shouldnt

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Anime is dumb.

Shut up OP.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
goku is a homo. he is gay

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
there is no news because that meme is as dead as goku was before they revived him with the dragon balls

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.
you could watch dbz abridged, some of it is crappy but some of the mega-episodes where they cram half an arc into 20 minutes really shine

they dont sugarcoat how much of a dick goku is to his friends and family. like, drat

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.
also if anyone missed this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opji5DgE_nQ

lol

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

you could read the manga i guess, its faster than watching the cartoon unless u read slow

RennZero
Oct 10, 2007

"Get in."
I saw a goku down by the crick once.

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Go to Japan and visit the Dragonball Z museum.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

This wasn't as bad as I thought it would be

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.

psyopmonkey posted:

Anime is dumb.

Shut up OP.

gently caress OFF???

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Be born sometime in the late 80's to very early 90's.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

psyopmonkey posted:

Anime is dumb.

Shut up OP.

DB and DBZ are def not anime.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Watch DbZ Abridged Abridged.

Deadbeat Poetry
Mar 6, 2004

Sorry if my costume scared you
Pants

Goku pants

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bacontotem posted:

lol this actually exists, thank you

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:
Even though he only did it in filler, and it's not in the manga, Goku actually can do the "Super Kaio-Ken". He does this in Dragonball GT as a Super Saiyan 4.

Oh no, anime honeypot!

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

Acid Haze posted:

Even though he only did it in filler, and it's not in the manga, Goku actually can do the "Super Kaio-Ken". He does this in Dragonball GT as a Super Saiyan 4.

Oh no, anime honeypot!

:henget:

Foid One
Mar 2, 2015

by Ralp
Please post the chronological way in which I should read or watch the goku eps and their respective names :)

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

goku is a lil bitch and vegeta is the prince of all saiyans

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010

Seizure Robot posted:

goku is a lil bitch and vegeta is the prince of all saiyans

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
vegeta is seemingly a lot smarter than Goku

Egoist
Aug 19, 2010

Love myself today
Let you go today
Lipstick Apathy
Goku (孫 悟空, Son Gokū), born Kakarot (カカロット, Kakarotto), is the main protagonist of the Dragon Ball metaseries created by Akira Toriyama. He is the adoptive grandson of Grandpa Gohan, the husband of Chi-Chi, the father of Gohan and Goten, the grandfather of Pan, and later the great-great-grandfather of Goku Jr.

Cheerful, courageous and also a bit naive, Goku is a Saiyan originally sent to Earth as an infant with the mission to destroy it. However, an accident alters his memory, causing him to grow up pure-hearted and later become Earth's greatest defender, as well as the informal leader of the Z Fighters.[13] Throughout his life, he trains hard and strives to be the greatest warrior possible, while at the same time using his amazing strength and skills to uphold peace.[18]

Contents[show]
Overview
Concept and creation
Goku4
Goku in his child and adult forms, as seen in Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z
The name "Goku" means "awakened to emptiness"; the Go syllable means Enlightenment, and the Ku syllable means Sky or Emptiness. In the Namek Saga, while training in the Capsule Corporation spaceship, it is seen that his name is written with a "h", Gokuh, when he has to go to repair the ship. Goku's full name, Son Goku, is the Japanese name for Sun Wukong, the main protagonist in the Chinese legend Journey to the West, on whom Goku is loosely based. The Dragon Ball universe began as a loose adaptation of the classic Chinese novel Journey to the West, with Goku starting off as more or less a parody of Sun Wukong the Monkey King. Similarities between the two include Goku's prone for mischief as a child (due to his innocence), possession of Nyoibo (Sun Wukong's staff that can fill the entire universe), and Flying Nimbus (the magical cloud the Great Sage rode on in Journey to the West). As the Dragon Ball manga continued its run, he was able to develop differently, eventually turning out to have similar origins.[19]

Goku's design was based on Tanton, of Toriyama's prototype manga Dragon Boy and Tongpoo, from his other manga The Adventures of Tongpoo. When Akira Toriyama started his first draft of Dragon Ball he originally planned on making Goku full monkey to make it faithful to Journey to the West. During Toriyama's second draft he wanted to make Goku a full human dressed in sailor clothes that rode a flight mecha instead of the Flying Nimbus.[19] Toriyama's 3rd and final draft of Goku was to have him human looking with a monkey tail.

-------

Goku(KFC)
Goku in a KFC commercial
Goku has often been the subject of various parodies over the years. On an episode of Operation!, Takeshi Castle, which is currently known as in the US as MXC, had an episode called family day. In that episode, the hosts Beat Takeshi and Sonomanma Higashi were dressed as popular anime characters one was Kid Goku and the other was Doremon. In the MXC dub of that episode, when asked who about his Goku costume, the host replied "Who, me? I'm dressed as a crack head!" The Shonen Jump "Gag Special 2005" issue released on December 1, 2004 featured a Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo one-shot Dragon Ball parody manga. The manga was a humorous retelling of the battle between Goku and Vegeta in the Saiyan Saga. Jelly Jiggler was Goku and Don Patch was Vegeta. In the anime episode "Fire It Up! Abenobashi Hong Kong Combat Shopping Arcade" of Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi, character Sasshi Imamiya goes Super Saiyan much like Goku and fires a Kamehameha.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I didn't watch the cell or buu stuff, was it any good?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

P-Mack posted:

I didn't watch the cell or buu stuff, was it any good?

the cell part is

Amos Moses
Oct 13, 2012

by Ralp
Buu was dumb but i mean if u dig enough its a prett good story about gay rights

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
the barfoid dynasty endures

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

there is a sea change in the goku lore world. if you havent been living under a streaming video rock every tom dick and harry with a two dollar webcam has been creating youtube channels filled with endless theorycrafting ever since ak-toy
decided to announce he's taking goku in a new direction. live action movies. kidou senki goku: fukkatsu no g(oku) will have an a-lister voicing goku

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
buu was p good if you view it from toriyama's perspective, which is that he wanted to take his creation to its logical extreme endpoint

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
DONT KNOW WHO GOKU IS BUT LORE IS DATA'S BROTHER YOU loving PRICK

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Bacontotem posted:

Whoa.

Rutibex posted:

lol this actually exists, thank you

WHOA.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
goku is kyoon

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
Yu Yu Hakasho was far better

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

When it comes to anime, I think Shigeru Miyamoto made the best stuff honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octo Rugboy
Apr 7, 2015

by Ralp
:iamafag:

• Locked thread