Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Mak0rz posted:

Some people just don't "notice" messes. They're completely blind to it. I have no idea how they can possibly live like that.

I've had a million roommates that do the usual "ruin the good cookware and let it all pile up in the sink" bullshit and more that refuse to do something as simple as clean the bathroom because "people poop there". I even had one that put lovely tissue paper in the trash (:wtc:). I hope I never have to live with roommates again because I was about ready to murder my most recent one.

Stories like these are exactly why I changed this to a share thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I started each new lease with a "I will murder you if you ruin my pots" speech (I had a set of Le Creuset enameled cast iron I'd inherited and there was no way poor college me could afford to replace them if they got ruined). Managed three years with roommates and the pots survived.

I had a place where every bedroom had its own en suite bathroom and I'm pretty sure that's how I never had a roommate I hated. I'd say 90% of roommate conflicts start in the bathroom or kitchen so eliminating one of those shared spaces helped a lot to keep the peace.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

On the subject of super uptight roomates: I remember asking one guy, out of politeness, if I could use a teaspoon of his huge bottle of olive oil. "Well, um, sure, I guess... just make sure to keep track of it so that we can settle up."

I stopped asking him for permission after that. Maybe we were both bad roommates?

Regarding pots and pans: I remember one woman literally throwing a screaming hysterial fit like a child because someone used one of her prized pots to boil some oatmeal in, and then cleaned it and put it away without damaging it.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Mak0rz posted:

I even had one that put lovely tissue paper in the trash (:wtc:). I hope I never have to live with roommates again because I was about ready to murder my most recent one.

Some people come from areas where the plumbing simply can't handle the toilet paper. A lot of my wife's family does the same thing because that's what their parents and their parents parents did.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Darth Freddy posted:

Some people come from areas where the plumbing simply can't handle the toilet paper. A lot of my wife's family does the same thing because that's what their parents and their parents parents did.

If I can remember to throw it in the bin when I'm in those countries, they can remember to flush it when they come here.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Strategic Tea posted:

Tried this, they never do...

Seriously, I used to clear the kitchen surface (so I'd have the privilege of space to make my dinner) by dumping their used pans and poo poo on the floor. No way was I going to clean up after them. That stuff usually stayed on the floor for at least a day or two :whitewater:

Protip, you are supposed to put it in their bed.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Claverjoe posted:

One of my previous roommates did this to the 3rd roommate and he lost his poo poo.

Clockroach
Dec 12, 2010

Claverjoe posted:

We used to live with a guy who was otherwise good but didn't "notice" messes, in fact told us that he was moving out of his old place because the other people there were too messy. He would do typical things like leave dirty dishes out, even left food all over a George Foreman for a week, but once he walked away he was convinced it was someone else's mess and they had left the dishes there. I usually did them anyway.

When everyone was moving out, his girlfriend (who he was now going to live with) broke down crying when, during packing, they just kept pulling out more and more unwashed dishes from every where he could have hidden them in his room. Like, he was otherwise clean, and she knew he had dishes in there, but not like, stuffed into the bottom of his closet with his folded-up winter clothes, under the bed, on shelves...

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Darth Freddy posted:

He was not from such a place. He was just a guy that took "slob" to a whole new cartoony level. He left his room door open once and I looked inside to see a squalid ocean of dirty clothes and garbage. The only part of the actual floor I saw was a very neat quarter-circle made by his door.

Also:

PT6A posted:

If I can remember to throw it in the bin when I'm in those countries, they can remember to flush it when they come here.

E:

Clockroach posted:

When everyone was moving out, his girlfriend (who he was now going to live with) broke down crying when, during packing, they just kept pulling out more and more unwashed dishes from every where he could have hidden them in his room. Like, he was otherwise clean, and she knew he had dishes in there, but not like, stuffed into the bottom of his closet with his folded-up winter clothes, under the bed, on shelves...

:stare: I'm hoping the relationship didn't last much longer than that

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 22, 2015

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Twice I've moved out on lovely room-mates, and it was for the same thing both times: Moving one of their other (previously unknown to me) friends in with us, to live on our couch without mentioning it to me beforehand. In neither instance did the extra room-mate pay any rent whatsoever, and in the first instance my original room-mate was perpetually late with his portion of rent. gently caress paying someone else's rent if they're not family.
In other instances, I think a dish washer was the biggest saving grace as far as kitchen mess is concerned. Even people who hate washing dishes can usually be bothered to scrape a plate and put it in the dishwasher.

archbrolan
Apr 22, 2015
I used to live with a crowd of reprobates that ALWAYS left the back door unlocked when they went out. One time, when I became so sick of it I thought I would vomit, I came home and, finding the door ajar, proceeded to "steal" everything in the lounge and bottom floor bedrooms, hiding every valuable item I could find underneath various beds. I then left the house, went to the pub for an hour and awaited the onslaught of fear, blame and recrimination.

"Mate," said my housemate via a cowardly text. "We've been burgled." Over the next 30 mins the blame shifted between himself, another housemate and his own hapless girlfriend, none of whom would accept responsibility.

I have never been so happy to come home tipsy and tell the people I lived with that they are a**holes. And that they can find their prizes for said douchebaggery hiding underneath their respective beds.

They were angry. They were relieved. But they never left the back door unlocked again.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

B33rChiller posted:

Even people who hate washing dishes can usually be bothered to scrape a plate and put it in the dishwasher.

This is half true. I am constantly surprised by the number of people who will outright refuse to scrape plates first ("well that's the dishwasher's job, innit?"), then bitch about how "the dishwasher always does such a lovely job" when things come out with debris on them, and mentally can't connect the two things even when it's explained in third-grade vocabulary because "but that's not how dishwashers work! They CLEAN. THE. PLATES. you idiot! This one just sucks!:argh:"

90% of the housemates we've ever had, plus most of our friends. It's mind-boggling how the dishwasher is a magic black box for a lot of people, where instead of being an actual machine with understood operating parameters in their minds, that pigeonhole just has a placeholder that says "dirty dishes in, clean dishes out, minimal contact with icky, woo". None of them ever clean the trap, either, for obvious reasons.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One thing that's kept me from losing my poo poo over damaged cookware is to also buy all of the kitchen utensils and make sure they're teflon/enamel-safe. Luckily most of my set is stainless and takes the abuse no problem, but my roomies have managed to scratch the gently caress out of my good non-stick pan by using actual knives to cut things up in the pan or using forks to cook with despite perfectly good tongs and spatulas next to the stove :wtc: At least my Le Creuset is ok.

Splizwarf posted:

This is half true. I am constantly surprised by the number of people who will outright refuse to scrape plates first ("well that's the dishwasher's job, innit?"), then bitch about how "the dishwasher always does such a lovely job" when things come out with debris on them, and mentally can't connect the two things even when it's explained in third-grade vocabulary because "but that's not how dishwashers work! They CLEAN. THE. PLATES. you idiot! This one just sucks!:argh:"

90% of the housemates we've ever had, plus most of our friends. It's mind-boggling how the dishwasher is a magic black box for a lot of people, where instead of being an actual machine with understood operating parameters in their minds, that pigeonhole just has a placeholder that says "dirty dishes in, clean dishes out, minimal contact with icky, woo". None of them ever clean the trap, either, for obvious reasons.

My roomies aren't quite this bad but they don't put any thought into how to arrange stuff going into the dish washer. Sure, just pile everything in a big heap inside, don't think about how it works or anything. They also never open up the windows for fresh air when the weather is nice, so I usually come home from work to a house full of stale blunt smoke and pet odor (four dogs, but at least they're well-trained).

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Clockroach posted:

We used to live with a guy who was otherwise good but didn't "notice" messes, in fact told us that he was moving out of his old place because the other people there were too messy. He would do typical things like leave dirty dishes out, even left food all over a George Foreman for a week, but once he walked away he was convinced it was someone else's mess and they had left the dishes there. I usually did them anyway.

I used to have a pretty bad case of this, although thanks to deliberately taking a few moments out to think "What's messy?", I'm a lot better than I used to be. How it works is that if something doesn't directly impede your activities, you no longer notice it. Pile of empty takeaway boxes? throw them into a corner. Empty bottles? No problem so long as you have a clear path between your bed, computer, and door. It quickly gets to the point that there's a level of willful blindness. By the time there is so much junk in your room that you can't just shuffle it away into a corner, the job of actually tidying it up seems so great as to be an impossible task, so you just follow the path of least resistance and let it all pile up.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
Wow, you guys make me feel so much better about my roommate situations. Three different sets of roommates, two in a two-bedroom, and my current set in a four-bedroom.

I was the "messy" one with my first couple of roommates, mostly because they were hella anal retentive about cleaning. I'll admit my room is generally a cluttered mess, but NO FOOD, just stuff on the floor, and I keep my poo poo out of the common areas.. When I had friends over, my roommate would actually start washing dishes while they were still there (otherwise, I would do them as soon as they left).

I'm the clean one in my current setup, but it doesn't get much worse than a messy kitchen, and every so often, I'll just spend an hour or two doing a heavy clean (usually once a month or so). It's annoying, but not the end of the world. One of my roommates pays for gas, one pays for cable/internet, so while I buy more than my share of household goods (paper towels, 409, toilet paper, etc.), I do it at Costco so it's not that expensive, and I think it works out overall. I also take care of the garbage and recycling, which--given that we're four guys, three of us relatively social, is a lot--I do a way better job of it than my rooommates do. Before I moved in, they'd forgotten to put out the recycling a couple of times, and it's a biweekly pickup, so there was a huge backlog. Once I got through that, things were pretty easy.

Overall, not so bad, in the grand scheme of things. Though, having a dishwasher helps A TON. My dream is to someday get a place with two dishwashers, one next to the other, so I can just load one up with dirty, use the dishes out of there and fill the other one. Switch back and forth so I never have to put a clean dish away.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

B33rChiller posted:

In other instances, I think a dish washer was the biggest saving grace as far as kitchen mess is concerned. Even people who hate washing dishes can usually be bothered to scrape a plate and put it in the dishwasher.

I was hoping that would be the case when I moved to a new place with a dishwasher a few years ago. My roommate would put his dirty dishes in the sink, just 15 inches from an empty dishwasher and often leave it full for days before bothering to unpack the clean dishes.

Splizwarf posted:

well that's the dishwasher's job, innit?

He'd also never check the items when unpacking it so it was a common occurrence to find dirty mugs and plates in the cupboards.

Zeno-25 posted:

My roomies aren't quite this bad but they don't put any thought into how to arrange stuff going into the dish washer. Sure, just pile everything in a big heap inside, don't think about how it works or anything.

He did this too! Your good drat salad bowl and the pot you used to make Kraft Dinner can be cleaned by hand in seconds to leave room for at least half a dozen or so plates. And yes, the tube at the top that says "DO NOT OBSTRUCT" is an excellent place to put a bowl :argh:

God drat am I glad I don't have to live with his goony manchild rear end anymore.

Soylent Yellow posted:

I used to have a pretty bad case of this, although thanks to deliberately taking a few moments out to think "What's messy?", I'm a lot better than I used to be. How it works is that if something doesn't directly impede your activities, you no longer notice it. Pile of empty takeaway boxes? throw them into a corner. Empty bottles? No problem so long as you have a clear path between your bed, computer, and door. It quickly gets to the point that there's a level of willful blindness. By the time there is so much junk in your room that you can't just shuffle it away into a corner, the job of actually tidying it up seems so great as to be an impossible task, so you just follow the path of least resistance and let it all pile up.

Ah, someone on the inside. Are you able to tell us where the gently caress things went wrong with you people?

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Mak0rz posted:

I was hoping that would be the case when I moved to a new place with a dishwasher a few years ago. My roommate would put his dirty dishes in the sink, just 15 inches from an empty dishwasher and often leave it full for days before bothering to unpack the clean dishes.

He'd also never check the items when unpacking it so it was a common occurrence to find dirty mugs and plates in the cupboards.

He did this too! Your good drat salad bowl and the pot you used to make Kraft Dinner can be cleaned by hand in seconds to leave room for at least half a dozen or so plates. And yes, the tube at the top that says "DO NOT OBSTRUCT" is an excellent place to put a bowl :argh:

God drat am I glad I don't have to live with his goony manchild rear end anymore.

Ah, someone on the inside. Are you able to tell us where the gently caress things went wrong with you people?

It starts off small. Throwing a couple of empty packages into a corner is easier than taking them out to the bin. Unfortunately, it escalates. You always mean to clean up eventually, but you get to the point that the percieved effort of clearing out the mounds of poo poo (not literally poo poo -at least in my case) becomes more than simply rearranging it slightly so it doesn't get in the way. This escalates to the point that you don't want to see the rubbish because if you acknowlege it, you will have to clean it up. By this point, you have convinced yourself that cleaning would be a futile task that would take days of work and industrial earth moving equipment. In your mind, it just becomes easier to live with the mess than to do anything about it. With me, it got so bad that one of my landlords refused to renew my lease. I still have that blindness where if something isn't physically obstructing my actions I don'y even notice it, but I've trained myself to take a step back from time to time and think how other people would view my living space. I'm still not what you would call neat, but at least I can see the floor.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

"but that's not how dishwashers work! They CLEAN. THE. PLATES. you idiot! This one just sucks!:argh:"

Well, if you have a good modern dishwasher it will clean pretty much anything off a plate. So he is kind of right.

Of course he should be able to see the correlation though.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

KoB posted:

Well, if you have a good modern dishwasher it will clean pretty much anything off a plate. So he is kind of right.

Of course he should be able to see the correlation though.
Yeah, newer, good dishwashers do not require rinsing the plates. Thank God.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Except that 99.9% of rentals have the cheapest shittiest appliances imaginable, in our place for example we can rinse off all the food bits from the plates and cups before loading them, run the dishwasher, and still have crusted on bits when we unload it. Rinseaid doesn't help. I'm not sure if the previous tenants abused it or what but usually we end up hand washing everything since it ends up being faster than inevitably having to run at least half our plates through twice.

I had a roommate break our garbage disposal by dropping bobby pins into it every time she cleaned her bong. That was a bigger pain in the rear end than a lovely dishwasher.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!
When I was in University I had the gooniest roommate in history. He was like 6 feet tall, had the biggest paunch I had ever seen but still didn't look fat, and was six years into an undergraduate degree in computer graphics and technology. One time, I looked at his "portfolio" for an art class and it was poorly drawn ninjas and Naruto rip offs. At first he wasn't so bad, aside from the fact that he snored in chainsaw crescendo. But slowly, he become progressively more annoying than the massively obese dude who wrote poetry about Nintendo. I would have to make sure to get up super early in the morning, or else he would take the bathroom and stay in there for over an hour. I did not want to know what he did in there. I ended up finding out anyways. But not before he built up a very impressive collection of water bottles, and horrified me with a "mana potion" he carried around that was full of brackish water.

Anyways, one day I notice, there is a wastebasket, at the head of my bed. As in, it's right next to where I lay my head, on the other side of the bed frame. And there appears to be...human hair sticking out of it? Curious, I peer into the wastebasket and am greeted with sight of poo poo and blood encrusted maxi pads. In plastic garbage bucket. Right. Next. To. My. Head. I mean, the bed frame was between me and the pail. But there were gaps in it.

I felt violated.

Hate Fibration fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Apr 23, 2015

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Was the "mana potion" actually something he drank from, or could it have been a dip depository? I had a roommate who "dipped" and he'd always carry around a gatorade bottle of brown liquid that he'd spit into throughout the day.

Related to some of the earlier posts, this guy also thought dishwashers were magic no-work-for-me machines. If the first wash didn't get all the crap he left on the dishes in, he'd just run it again. And again. Over and over until they were "clean enough". Sometimes he gave up and just left hte plate in there permanently. The first time he tried to use the dishwasher without my help, he filled it up with dishsoap, like the dawn stuff you keep on top of the sink. It flooded our kitchen with soap bubbles, and honestly was kind of funny since I didn't have to clean it up, but seriously, there needs to be some kind of dishwasher crash-course you have to go through in freshman orientation.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Hate Fibration posted:

When I was in University I had the gooniest roommate in history. He was like 6 feet tall, had the biggest paunch I had ever seen but still didn't look fat, and was six years into an undergraduate degree in computer graphics and technology. One time, I looked at his "portfolio" for an art class and it was poorly drawn ninjas and Naruto rip offs. At first he wasn't so bad, aside from the fact that he snored in chainsaw crescendo. But slowly, he become progressively more annoying than the massively obese dude who wrote poetry about Nintendo. I would have to make sure to get up super early in the morning, or else he would take the bathroom and stay in there for over an hour. I did not want to know what he did in there. I ended up finding out anyways. But not before he built up a very impressive collection of water bottles, and horrified me with a "mana potion" he carried around that was full of brackish water.

Anyways, one day I notice, there is a wastebasket, at the head of my bed. As in, it's right next to where I lay my head, on the other side of the bed frame. And there appears to be...human hair sticking out of it? Curious, I peer into the wastebasket and am greeted with sight of poo poo and blood encrusted maxi pads. In plastic garbage bucket. Right. Next. To. My. Head. I mean, the bed frame was between me and the pail. But there were gaps in it.

I felt violated.

I need more explanation. So he was routinely bleeding/making GBS threads on maxipads every morning? Why did he leave them by your bed?

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.
^^^ My guess is hemorrhoids and an unfortunate placement of the wastebasket.

Thesaurus posted:

On the subject of super uptight roomates: I remember asking one guy, out of politeness, if I could use a teaspoon of his huge bottle of olive oil. "Well, um, sure, I guess... just make sure to keep track of it so that we can settle up."

I stopped asking him for permission after that. Maybe we were both bad roommates?

I've been the uppity one in a vaguely similar situation - roommate asked if he could use my Hellman's mayo, and I said it was totally fine as long as he replaced it. He used it up (because I don't actually eat that much mayo), and he did replace it... with a jar of lovely low-quality Valu-Time mayo that I don't think was even actual mayo. Got kind of mad and had to explain to him that it wasn't cool to use/share my/other roommates' stuff if he was going to replace it with inferior products (like when it was his turn to buy paper towels, he'd get the crusty Valu-Time ones that had the absorption of printer paper and the structural integrity of wet newsprint instead of the actually usable and effective Bounty ones everyone else bought). It definitely wasn't an intentional cheap rear end in a top hat move on his part, he just sincerely didn't think there was any meaningful difference between the craptastic value-brand stuff and the store/regular brand stuff other than price.

Still though, a tablespoon of olive oil? Who loving cares? I mean, if it was expensive imported stuff with fancy little herbs floating around it or whatever, then yeah, I can understand wanting to keep track of that, but I've always lived in houses where olive oil was a super basic kitchen staple (along with vinegar and flour and sugar and the like) and was regarded as such because we all used it and didn't have the cabinet space for four bottles each of vinegar and olive oil and four sacks of flour and whatever else.

Overall, I've never had any overtly terrible roommates. At least a couple of them were kind of slobby and smelly, but for them and everyone one else, if I announced that the house was gross and that we should clean it (preferably while I was pulling out the cleaning supplies and getting to work), they'd all be like "okay" and help out just fine with a slight amount of encouragement and instruction and not be petty bitches about it. So yeah, without any prompting from me or my other also more cleanly roommate, the house would have definitely gone to poo poo due to everyone being oblivious/not really caring, but I luckily never had to deal with whatever lovely roommate dynamics that prevent the house from getting cleaned and make people miserable. Might have helped that I never had the mental wherewithal to hold grudges or remember/care who made what mess or dirtied which dish, so housecleaning was more about "let's all make our house clean and not gross" rather than "I'll clean up my mess here and you clean up your mess there".

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Except that 99.9% of rentals have the cheapest shittiest appliances imaginable, in our place for example we can rinse off all the food bits from the plates and cups before loading them, run the dishwasher, and still have crusted on bits when we unload it. Rinseaid doesn't help. I'm not sure if the previous tenants abused it or what but usually we end up hand washing everything since it ends up being faster than inevitably having to run at least half our plates through twice.

This is so true. The dishwasher in my rental is simultaneously wimpy enough to not always get all the crusted-on food remnants off AND rough-and-tumble enough to break my more delicate glassware (it is not to be trusted with my wine glasses or good china). It's still miles better than the one at my previous place which would constantly get backed up with putrid stagnant water and then not actually clean your dishes, just bake on all the food residue during the dry cycle.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

My best friend and I lived together in a house that had been a "roommate" house for almost a decade at that point. It was owned by a mutual friend who had recently moved out of state for his girlfriend's graduate school. None of the furniture, dishes, utensils, or junk in the garage or basement actually belonged to anyone; it was just various items that had been accumulated over the previous years by various tenants. My friend moved in a few months before I did, and my ex and I helped. At that point it was just two college-aged dudes, so you can guess how nasty the kitchen and bathrooms were. The kitchen was destroyed by dirty dishes and empty beer bottles. We probably had about $20 worth of empties, money we used to put towards cleaning supplies. There was mold all over dishes, and there were dozens of plates, cups, utensils, everything. They didn't have to wash them because there were so many leftover items that they went about a month without doing dishes before we got there. Luckily my friend has a portable dishwasher that we ran several times to clear up the back log, stuff that was too far gone we ended up throwing out. The rest of the house was just your average "lazy slobs live here" level of dirtiness, except the floor around the toilet was covered in old piss, and the toilet itself had poo poo spots all over, and a nasty black ring around the inside.

The worst part though was one of the guys there did not like having to get up in the middle of the night to piss--even though he was only about 10 feet from the bathroom. His room was filled with piss jugs, piss bottles, piss cups, and piss glasses of disturbingly varied colors. One day we were all hanging out downstairs and hear a bunch of glasses clinking together, then the sounds of liquid being poured into a toilet, and then flushing, repeatedly. He dumped his collection of piss containers into the toilet, then brought everything downstairs and either threw away or cleaned out whatever he had used. After he left the house for the day, we threw out everything he had washed. He also left a dead weed plant in his closet, and had smeared boogers all over the bedroom walls. It was the worst, but luckily he moved out before I moved in. The other guy stayed and he was ok, just slept in a small room in the basement that was filled with mold, on a couple of piled up mattresses with just a sheet and a blanket.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Mak0rz posted:

You might enjoy the Goon Lairs thread in PYF as well.

I have this kind of too. Some of it is depression, where you don't care and don't care and by the time you do care you don't have energy to tackle all of it or even half so why bother and it keeps going. Until it gets so bad you can't deal with it/you have vermin/your roommates can't put with your poo poo and so rageclean and feel awful and the cycle begins anew.

Basically take someone who's naturally a bit messy, add some brain problems, and voila! squalor.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

bartlebyshop posted:

You might enjoy the Goon Lairs thread in PYF as well.

I have this kind of too. Some of it is depression, where you don't care and don't care and by the time you do care you don't have energy to tackle all of it or even half so why bother and it keeps going. Until it gets so bad you can't deal with it/you have vermin/your roommates can't put with your poo poo and so rageclean and feel awful and the cycle begins anew.

Basically take someone who's naturally a bit messy, add some brain problems, and voila! squalor.

I think a lot of it is like what George Carlin says about drivers: anyone who's going slower than you is a schmuck, and anyone going faster is a maniac. We all have different levels of tidiness that we expect and like. I'm a fairly messy person in general; I'll leave dishes in the sink for a while so I can load them into the dishwasher all at once (I do rinse them, though), and there's more than a bit of clutter in my apartment, just because I really don't care if things are put away properly 100% of the time. It's not that I don't see it, or can't be tidy; if I'm staying at someone else's residence, I will tidy up to their standards. It's just that I really don't care. As soon as it gets to a point where I do care, I start cleaning.

Rotting food and whatnot is an obvious no-no, but I'm perfectly happy to leave most things lying around until they actually bother me in some way. It's also a function of effort. I have a bunch of burnt out CFLs and empty aerosol cans that I can't dispose of in my building's compactor, but I'd have to drive a long way to dispose of them properly, so they're just sort of sitting around junking up the place. I know it sounds stupid, but I just can't summon the will to collect everything, drive 20 minutes to the hazardous waste disposal location, and then back, when I could just put everything in a bag and ignore it until I'm going near that area for something else.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on

archbrolan posted:

I used to live with a crowd of reprobates that ALWAYS left the back door unlocked when they went out. One time, when I became so sick of it I thought I would vomit, I came home and, finding the door ajar, proceeded to "steal" everything in the lounge and bottom floor bedrooms, hiding every valuable item I could find underneath various beds. I then left the house, went to the pub for an hour and awaited the onslaught of fear, blame and recrimination.

"Mate," said my housemate via a cowardly text. "We've been burgled." Over the next 30 mins the blame shifted between himself, another housemate and his own hapless girlfriend, none of whom would accept responsibility.

I have never been so happy to come home tipsy and tell the people I lived with that they are a**holes. And that they can find their prizes for said douchebaggery hiding underneath their respective beds.

They were angry. They were relieved. But they never left the back door unlocked again.
You are the lovely roommate.

PT6A posted:

I'm a fairly messy person in general; I'll leave dishes in the sink for a while so I can load them into the dishwasher all at once (I do rinse them, though),
This boggles my loving mind. It takes what, an extra 3 seconds to open the dishwasher and put a dish in it? Why the gently caress would you leave them in the sink and create another chore for yourself down the road?

quote:

and there's more than a bit of clutter in my apartment, just because I really don't care if things are put away properly 100% of the time. It's not that I don't see it, or can't be tidy; if I'm staying at someone else's residence, I will tidy up to their standards. It's just that I really don't care. As soon as it gets to a point where I do care, I start cleaning.
This is fine, as long as you don't live with anyone else and never invite anyone over your house. Otherwise, you're an rear end in a top hat.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Imaduck posted:

This boggles my loving mind. It takes what, an extra 3 seconds to open the dishwasher and put a dish in it? Why the gently caress would you leave them in the sink and create another chore for yourself down the road?

This is fine, as long as you don't live with anyone else and never invite anyone over your house. Otherwise, you're an rear end in a top hat.

I'd agree about putting dishes in the dishwasher if I only ever had dishes that I've simply eaten a meal off of, but sometimes there's cutting boards, pots, etc. left over from cooking that need to be hand-washed. Sometimes things need to soak. There's no harm in waiting a day, until you have the time to get everything done at once. Obviously, this changes if you have roommates and you're using communal dishes and pots, but for a single person it's fine. My parents even do it sometimes (because no one wants to do the dishes at the end of a big meal), and they're much tidier than I am.

Also, most of the people I invite over to my apartment either don't care, or (speaking from personal experience) have even worse clutter. I feel like it's more common, at least for 20-30 year olds, than having places that are all neatly organized and kept tidy.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I had two roommates, boyfriend and girlfriend, who were otherwise clean but never, ever used a plate in the microwave I brought because it meant having to do an extra dish.

After months of not using the microwave I finally use it to make popcorn and discover a greasy patina of microwave gumbo that's so thick I can actually feel something give way when I push down on the plate. I brought this up with them and asked them to use plates. Because why would you want everything you cook to be soaked in months old grease?

They looked at me like I was some kind of OCD weirdo with impossibly high hygeine standards but at least they used plates after that.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

cumshitter posted:

I had two roommates, boyfriend and girlfriend, who were otherwise clean but never, ever used a plate in the microwave I brought because it meant having to do an extra dish.

After months of not using the microwave I finally use it to make popcorn and discover a greasy patina of microwave gumbo that's so thick I can actually feel something give way when I push down on the plate. I brought this up with them and asked them to use plates. Because why would you want everything you cook to be soaked in months old grease?

They looked at me like I was some kind of OCD weirdo with impossibly high hygeine standards but at least they used plates after that.
Wait, do you mean they just used paper plates or paper towels, or do you mean they just put food straight on the bottom of the microwave?

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I don't even know, I discovered this after the fact, but I'm pretty sure they were just putting it on the plate. The amount of grease on it would have probably soaked through a paper towel during cooking, so it wouldn't have made much of a difference.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

cumshitter posted:

I don't even know, I discovered this after the fact, but I'm pretty sure they were just putting it on the plate. The amount of grease on it would have probably soaked through a paper towel during cooking, so it wouldn't have made much of a difference.
That is disgusting.

And when a guy who goes by "cumshitter" is calling you out for being disgusting...

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on

PT6A posted:

Also, most of the people I invite over to my apartment either don't care,
Sometimes people are polite and don't openly insult how you live. It doesn't mean that they don't mind.

quote:

I feel like it's more common, at least for 20-30 year olds, than having places that are all neatly organized and kept tidy.
Obviously it's going to depend on your crowd, but I've found that there's usually a lot of confirmation bias with messy people. "Oh, Mark has a dirtier place than me, so as long as I'm not that bad, then I'm okay." You forget about all the cleaner places you visit, because that's the point of being tidy: you don't notice. Clutter is a lot easier to notice than lack of it.

Eien Ni Hen
Jul 23, 2013
My wife and I once helped our friends clean their apartment. These were two single gay guys, one in his 20s, the other in his early 30s. They had had a falling out and were being all passive aggressive towards one another by refusing to clean. Bottom line was the apartment was loving disgusting.

Highlights included:

-Kitchen hidden beneath dirty dishes and garbage.
-Giant wad of mold in the bottom of the kitchen sink.
-Bedbug infested couch.
-Buttplugs and porn scattered around the living room. (I think my wife even found a Fleshlight.)
-A guest bathroom that had never been cleaned. Ever. The floor and sink were covered in hair, and the toilet was encrusted with poo poo and piss.
-Said guest bathroom had no soap in it, either. Hell, I'm amazed it had toilet paper.

Also, one of the roommates refused to believe he had a bedbug infestation in his room, then accepted it and decided to fix it by sleeping on the living room couch instead. Guess what didn't work?

Seeing that shithole made me thankful for the few crappy roommates I've had.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Imaduck posted:

Sometimes people are polite and don't openly insult how you live. It doesn't mean that they don't mind.

Obviously it's going to depend on your crowd, but I've found that there's usually a lot of confirmation bias with messy people. "Oh, Mark has a dirtier place than me, so as long as I'm not that bad, then I'm okay." You forget about all the cleaner places you visit, because that's the point of being tidy: you don't notice. Clutter is a lot easier to notice than lack of it.

Eien Ni Hen posted:

My wife and I once helped our friends clean their apartment. These were two single gay guys, one in his 20s, the other in his early 30s. They had had a falling out and were being all passive aggressive towards one another by refusing to clean. Bottom line was the apartment was loving disgusting.

Highlights included:

-Kitchen hidden beneath dirty dishes and garbage.
-Giant wad of mold in the bottom of the kitchen sink.
-Bedbug infested couch.
-Buttplugs and porn scattered around the living room. (I think my wife even found a Fleshlight.)
-A guest bathroom that had never been cleaned. Ever. The floor and sink were covered in hair, and the toilet was encrusted with poo poo and piss.
-Said guest bathroom had no soap in it, either. Hell, I'm amazed it had toilet paper.

Also, one of the roommates refused to believe he had a bedbug infestation in his room, then accepted it and decided to fix it by sleeping on the living room couch instead. Guess what didn't work?

Seeing that shithole made me thankful for the few crappy roommates I've had.

See? This is a problem. The fact that I leave my olive oil on the kitchen counter instead of putting it away in the cupboard (gently caress it, I use it almost every time I cook), or leave my notebooks out on the coffee table is, uh, not. Clutter is different from filth.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

PT6A posted:

See? This is a problem. The fact that I leave my olive oil on the kitchen counter instead of putting it away in the cupboard (gently caress it, I use it almost every time I cook), or leave my notebooks out on the coffee table is, uh, not. Clutter is different from filth.

Clutter is never usually an issue. I mean, I'm human, and I think the majority of my roommates were, as well. My ex and his friend used to lose their minds because I'd leave my computer and notebooks on the coffee table rather than stuff them all in the closet next to the couch. Now my ex lives with a group of people who've left a stock pot filled with stew and water on the table for FOUR MONTHS.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

How do you guys deal with roommates who consistently forget to pay their rent and rack up late fees? I mean I don't end up paying the fee so it doesn't bother me financially, but I feel a kind of obligation to remind them because I feel bad that they're just handing an extra 50 bucks to the landlord every month or something.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

You're not their mother, as long as you're on separate leases who cares?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Vegetable posted:

How do you guys deal with roommates who consistently forget to pay their rent and rack up late fees? I mean I don't end up paying the fee so it doesn't bother me financially, but I feel a kind of obligation to remind them because I feel bad that they're just handing an extra 50 bucks to the landlord every month or something.

There is nothing you can do to teach your roommates responsibility. They will either learn it on their own, or squander their cash every month.

• Locked thread