Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
It's both funny and frightening how many 20-27 year olds there are out there that still haven't figured out that putting tinfoil and forks in the microwave leads to bad things happening.

Don't most people figure this poo poo out when they are like 5?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eien Ni Hen
Jul 23, 2013

Avalanche posted:

It's both funny and frightening how many 20-27 year olds there are out there that still haven't figured out that putting tinfoil and forks in the microwave leads to bad things happening.

Don't most people figure this poo poo out when they are like 5?

Sadly, no. I've known my fair share of adults who were basically giant children. (See my above post about the shithole apartment.)

My first roommate in college ruined a super-expensive bra from Victoria's Secret by drying it on high heat. That's how I found out she'd never done laundry before. In her defense, though, she was only 18-19 and away from home for the first time. Most of the "life skills" stuff takes trial and error, and some people don't want the trial or don't learn from the error.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Eien Ni Hen posted:

Sadly, no. I've known my fair share of adults who were basically giant children. (See my above post about the shithole apartment.)

My first roommate in college ruined a super-expensive bra from Victoria's Secret by drying it on high heat. That's how I found out she'd never done laundry before. In her defense, though, she was only 18-19 and away from home for the first time. Most of the "life skills" stuff takes trial and error, and some people don't want the trial or don't learn from the error.

It's jarring to me when people don't have basic life skills, but I also realise I take for granted the fact that having neglectful parents kind of pays off in some cases.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
My parents had me doing my own laundry as soon as I was tall enough to reach the knobs on the washer and taught me to cook when I was old enough and tall enough not to burn the poo poo out of myself on the stove. They were far from neglectful.

On the other hand my one roommate's mom would come down monthly and clean our apartment (it wasn't dirty at all since my roommate cleaned for fun) and do my roommate's laundry for her. She chastised us for not locking the door behind her after every trip to their car when roommate was moving in because "boys might get in" like they were moths fluttering around our porch light or something.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

My parents had me doing my own laundry as soon as I was tall enough to reach the knobs on the washer and taught me to cook when I was old enough and tall enough not to burn the poo poo out of myself on the stove. They were far from neglectful.

On the other hand my one roommate's mom would come down monthly and clean our apartment (it wasn't dirty at all since my roommate cleaned for fun) and do my roommate's laundry for her. She chastised us for not locking the door behind her after every trip to their car when roommate was moving in because "boys might get in" like they were moths fluttering around our porch light or something.

Both I and one of my college roommates grew up in spotless, clutter-free households but were never really taught how to keep a place clean. Our apartment was still really tidy because we actually gave a poo poo about not being slobs, even if we had to learn how to do most of it ourselves (hint: it's at least 99% common sense). My mom would still wipe down the stove top and sink or whatever every now and then, but that's what moms do. His mom, on the other hand, still bleached the place to oblivion. She's a bit nuts, though.

Now I'm finally living with my girlfriend instead of some schmo. Her mother has some unhealthy attitudes about cleaning (her mom's house is always incredibility cluttered and she has anxieties about throwing old junk away) that rubbed off on her, but she's not even near as bad. Sometimes it's hard to convince her to part ways with old useless stuff, though.

That said, she values a clean kitchen about as much as I do. It's among the rarest and most valuable traits in a cohabitant :woop:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 26, 2015

archbrolan
Apr 22, 2015

Imaduck posted:

You are the lovely roommate.

Been burgled three times before that. No more please.

Godline
Jun 17, 2013
House share in London.
Not a bad house just this one woman who is around mid 30's. Over from Brazil now for around 2.5 years, she has had one job since I've lived in the house (best part of a year now) she probably has the worst set of manners I've come across.

We were on speaking terms prior to a falling out but I just don't understand how you can get the opinion of I pay for rent just as much as you do therefore I'm declaring you're not allowed any visitors.

It was pretty much there n then I figured out why she lasted two weeks in a job before getting kicked.

Queue disgruntled landlord who had been fed lies and me having to threaten to leave / take him to the small claims court before he backed off (haven't had a problem since)

Other 3 house mates agree with me and want to vote to kick her out we just don't think the landlord will listen, (he's either family or she's been here longer than the 2.5 she said) due to the amount of poo poo he puts up with her.

Main problem I think is the actual amount of time she spends in the house doing nothing so she up all night and ratty as hell.
rant over.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

cash crab posted:

It's jarring to me when people don't have basic life skills, but I also realise I take for granted the fact that having neglectful parents kind of pays off in some cases.

I suppose neglectful parents is a good way to learn by trial and error early on.

But the other side of that coin is that most responsible parents teach their children basic life skills. Sometimes even turning it into a lesson on not just that thing but the practice of keeping up a house. You know.....chores.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
This thread makes me happy that I pay a little bit extra each month to own my own condo rather then rent a place with roommates.

I'm curious is there ever any positives to having roommates besides financials? Whenever I'm at a friend's place and they have roommates they're all good friends but the place is usually a mess that I wouldn't be able to live in.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

1500quidporsche posted:

This thread makes me happy that I pay a little bit extra each month to own my own condo rather then rent a place with roommates.

I'm curious is there ever any positives to having roommates besides financials? Whenever I'm at a friend's place and they have roommates they're all good friends but the place is usually a mess that I wouldn't be able to live in.

None at all, as far a I'm concerned. Maybe you can make a new friend? It happens, but the last thing I'd want to do is live with a friend. And some people like having someone around to talk to, eat with, and share chores with. But the main reason 99.9% of the time is money.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

1500quidporsche posted:

In theory, you can split chores up. Two people make less than twice as much mess as one person, three make less than three times as much, etc. You can hand off chores you don't like to do, though in practice or doesn't always work out that way. Sometimes there are skill sets or stuff your roommates have that you don't. One of my roommates has a truck that I occasionally borrow, another is a notary, and I used to work in A/V tech, so I'm good with home audio and video. If you've got different schedules, it makes it easier if someone has to be home for a plumber or something.

Also, if you're moving furniture or something, it's easy to find someone to give you a hand.

But yeah, it's mainly financial.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Sounds like my roommates were always the anal type... one house tried to do a weekly chore rotation, which is fine for toilets but terrible for kitchen stuff. I usually ate on-campus for anything besides breakfast, and they always made a big pot of carbonara during my week to wash up.
I've had serious dust problems but never dish stackers. Also no pets. Sorry but you're retarded if you'll get a cat before you settle down.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
One of my roommates had a cat which hated everyone except him and me. I miss that cat.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Motronic posted:

I suppose neglectful parents is a good way to learn by trial and error early on.

But the other side of that coin is that most responsible parents teach their children basic life skills. Sometimes even turning it into a lesson on not just that thing but the practice of keeping up a house. You know.....chores.

Well, my brothers never cleaned and I was so embarrassed about the state of the house so early on that I asked my mom if she would pay me to do certain chores. Five bucks to do the bathroom, $1 for every load of dishes, etc. I'd also get reimbursed for supplies, so I was the only ten year old I knew who knew how to use a caulking gun.

I can't remember if I mentioned this or not, but I went with the "moving" option for my current situation. Naturally, the situation has decayed and it's complete anarchy in there, which is weird because the three of them still have to live together? It boggles my mind.

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.
I've had lovely roommaties too but what I don't get is my female coworkers talking about how their husbands don't cook or clean (they're not allowed to, wouldn't know how to work the dishwasher what the goddamn Christ!!) when my husband was raised just like them - in the south with a stay at home mum, but still cooks and cleans as much as I do. What the ever loving Christ. I was raised by two working parents who evenly split housework and that's what I expect and get, with no prompting. What the hell South.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Miranda posted:

I've had lovely roommaties too but what I don't get is my female coworkers talking about how their husbands don't cook or clean (they're not allowed to, wouldn't know how to work the dishwasher what the goddamn Christ!!) when my husband was raised just like them - in the south with a stay at home mum, but still cooks and cleans as much as I do. What the ever loving Christ. I was raised by two working parents who evenly split housework and that's what I expect and get, with no prompting. What the hell South.

How is that even possible? Do you go straight from living with your parents to living with your wife, or what?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Frozen meals, cans, eating out so that you never touch a dish?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Sage Grimm posted:

Wouldn't that make you extremely unhealthy and broke?

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Sage Grimm posted:

I spent a summer eating frozen meals and out of cans, and first of all, if you're eating soup out of cans, you're generally going to want to heat it up because otherwise you're no different than the guy who lives in the park and spends all his time eating his own fingernails. Second, 99% of pre-made meals are loaded with salt, and if you can get past the relentless bloating, then have at 'er, but I honestly gained like ten pounds which is remarkable for me because I typically don't gain weight that easily. Also, three months of eating salty frozen dinners and watching that loving Spokane prime-time rotation of That 70s Show and Family Guy on the couch made me consider saving money on Hungry Man by going out and shooting myself in the face instead. And eating out, you have two options: It's fairly healthy and really expensive, or it's Little Caesar's and you spent only $5 on a pizza BUT AT WHAT COST TO YOUR SANITY AND SODIUM LEVELS

TL;DR: FROZEN MEALS R BAD

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

PT6A posted:

Never said it was healthy or cost efficient! :v:

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Some people just can't cook at all, and others just don't care that they're eating frozen food or going out all of the time. They never bothered trying to cook, or just don't want to deal with it. I've known plenty of people like this. Sucks for them, I'll be cooking up some parmesan crusted steaks with horseradish mashed potatoes while they're working on their third totinos pizza of the week.

Edit: :smug:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Reynold posted:

crusted steaks

It's probably because I'm really hungover but I couldn't stop focusing on this pairing of words. I am transfixed with it.

EDIT: I have decided to name my next cat crusted steaks. All lowercase.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

PT6A posted:

How is that even possible? Do you go straight from living with your parents to living with your wife, or what?

Yes p much

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Paper plates. I have visited people who use nothing but disposable tableware and ruined nonstick saucepans. Of course there's the accompanying pile of full trash bags around the kitchen can. :shepicide:

cash crab posted:

It's probably because I'm really hungover but I couldn't stop focusing on this pairing of words. I am transfixed with it.

EDIT: I have decided to name my next cat crusted steaks. All lowercase.

Me too now. It's a good name.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

PT6A posted:

That's the South, yes.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

PT6A posted:

Yes, that is an accurate description of a large majority of America.

My junior year roommate was a piece of work:

- Two weeks after moving in he just walked into my room holding an unlicensed 12ga shotgun, legal in his home state but an automatic felony and jailtime here

- He would put a pot of beans and rice on the stove and go into his room to beat off to anime, until the fire alarms went off or I came home to the apartment filling with smoke. Ruined most of my cookware.

- He got some weird Polish girlfriend that just showed up out of the blue and stayed for 2 weeks; they kept banging in the shower and rang up a $200 electric bill.

- Stopped going to class because he thought he had invented and was going to patent what were essentially crude anti-lock brakes.

- Finally, he illegally tapped a bunch of maple trees by the side of the road and filled a bunch of my tupperware with sap, he tried to boil this down into syrup on the stove until he looked it up and found out it wouldn't work. Then he tried to ferment it but he hosed it up and it filled with mold and ants. He got pissed when I threw it away. Same thing happened with the homemade pickles in a totally unsealed container :psyduck:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

potee posted:

he just walked into my room holding an unlicensed 12ga shotgun

He would go into his room to beat off to anime

He got some weird Polish girlfriend

he thought he had invented and was going to patent what were essentially crude anti-lock brakes.

he illegally tapped a bunch of maple trees by the side of the road

I thought this was the lovely roommate thread, not the awesome roommate thread? :v:

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic
A friend of mine (I've never lived with him thankfully) once put a bunch of dirty dishes in an esky outside rather than just doing them, and was then surprised when he went to remove them from the esky several weeks later that they had gone mouldy. I was there while he was doing them and was complaining about how gross it was the whole time. Perhaps he could have avoided it by not leaving a bunch of dirty dishes in a damp, warm, dark esky for a couple of weeks.

I live with my brother, and the things he does that annoy me the most are the things he refuses to do despite them only taking seconds to do and having been asked about a million times:

-Leaving kitchen cupboards open. My brother does this, and every time I ask him to not leave them open so I can use the kitchen without whacking my head on them, he just says that he doesn't see why he should. It's a little thing, but coming home to all the kitchen cupboards and pantry being open all the time is annoying.

-Not refilling ice cube trays. I've had bariatric surgery, and drinks being cold make them much easier for me to drink, so I build up a supply of ice cubes in the freezer. Come the weekend, or whenever he decides to have a drink, all of my stockpile will be gone and the ice cube tray itself will be empty.

-Leaving the garage door open when he leaves, and leaving the front door unlocked pretty much all the time

Other than that, I have on several occasions (including last night) woken up to see someone wandering around in my room and freaked the hell out only to find out it was my brother, who decided that he needed to pinch my phone charger at 3am while I was sleeping, instead of waiting until tomorrow and asking to borrow it like a normal loving person. He has an annoying habit in general of taking my things and then not putting them back, so I have to go searching for things like my phone charger or capo, or he'll steal any alcohol I have in my room when I go on holidays and refuse to pay me back for it because apparently he doesn't consider stealing from his sister to be real stealing. Luckily I don't drink very often so mostly what he steals is cheap wine I buy to cook with, but it's a pain to be making bolognese only to notice you have no wine when you thought you had half a bottle.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Living with housemates can have its upsides. People have different habits, some of which you can learn from. Whether it's cooking, fashion, socialising, hobbies etc. I recommend it.

Flaky fucked around with this message at 09:15 on May 5, 2015

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Living with no roommates means ever hour is no pants hour.

A liberating feeling.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Claverjoe posted:

Living with no roommates means ever hour is no pants hour.

A liberating feeling.
I have roommates, and I pretty much never wear pants at home.

Boxers aren't really that big of a deal.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
It is possible to have sex with a roomate

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

The hard part is finding a roommate that you both:

-Want to have sex with
-Can tolerate living with

eggburger
Jan 16, 2014

Shooting Blanks posted:

The hard part is finding a roommate that you both:

-Want to have sex with
-Can tolerate living with

So basically a spouse

I needs to get me one of them spouses.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Move in with your girlfriend

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

it's real awkward when they find out though

Traveling Salesman
Nov 27, 2007

Merchant of Death
Okay, so here is what you need to do.

Have a cleaning service come in and do an estimate on what they would charge to clean your place every week. You said that the place is small, it wouldn't cost much. Have everyone agree to pay for the service by splitting the cost between the people that live there. Which means if someone's boyfriend starts staying over regularly he'll have to chip in too. Always collect the money a week early or if possible pay for whole months at a time. Never front the bill for someone else. They either pay up or no cleaning service.

Next, Instacart is your friend. Everyone can shop on a shared list getting the items that they would like to have. The bill can be split up evenly or specific people can pay for specific things. It's just like shopping in person but it's online and no one can give you poo poo about not having time to do it. The goods are delivered to your door.

Also, look at TaskRabbit and hire someone to come in and clean up around the house before the first cleaning lady comes. Maids charge by the hour and Task Rabbit will let you get the job done quickly and cheaply. As for laundry, check out your local laundromat. Many offer a "wash and fold" service at a very attractive price. My SO and I get about a months worth of laundry washed and folded neatly for only $30 and the most we've ever paid is $60.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Unfortunately for most people, if you are forced into living with roommates usually you can't afford to hire a cleaning lady, get groceries delivered to your door for no apparent reason, or pay people to do their laundry. I mean, seriously?

I lived with a decent amount of roommates before, and I can't imagine any of them agreeing to chip in for a weekly maid service. Even if you did twist their arm into agreeing, there will be weeks they just won't be able to/want to pay, and you'll suffer more from the dirty apartment than they will. As for the grocery delivery, I just don't get it. If you're living near a college, you are most likely within 5, maybe 10 minutes max drive of a grocery store. Most of my, and my former roommates' shopping, consisted of just going to the store and getting things we see that we want. There was no list or planning involved. It would be an incredible pain to get everyone to sit down and build their virtual grocery list every week (and convince them to pay steep delivery fees+tips), and you'll probably have to make runs to the grocery store anyway when (not if) someone forgets something. The task rabbit thing...I just don't understand. Why pay someone to do something that is usually completely or nearly free to do on your own? Besides, having a month's worth of clothes with you seems ridiculous for me in college. I had roughly 2 weeks worth and my closets were packed to the brim in most of my apartments.

I guess if you're all rich and lazy as hell your plan would work, but I'm pretty sure even with all that your roommates would find other ways to make your life miserable.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I have a better idea: don't waste money on these services, assuming you can even afford them to begin with, and instead be a functioning adult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Traveling Salesman posted:

Okay, so here is what you need to do.
I didn't know Mitt Romney was a goon :allears:

• Locked thread