Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Welcome to the Elemental Evil! Specifically

A terrible threat gathers in the
North. Throughout this region of the
Forgotten Realms, savage marauders
bring destruction. Monsters are on the
prowl, preying on flocks, rampaging
through croplands, and attacking
homesteads and travelers. In settlements,
discord and suspicion grow. Sinister
strangers lurk in the shadows, whispering about how
everything is soon to change.

The rise of Elemental Evil in Faerûn
begins in the Dessarin Valley, a lightly
settled region of caravan towns,
isolated homesteads, and uninhabited
wilderness just a week’s journey from
Waterdeep. Residents in places such as
Red Larch or Triboar boast that their
humble settlements are “the Gateway
to the North.” Through these lands pass hundreds of
caravans and keelboats each year, linking the great
ports of Waterdeep and Neverwinter with places such
as Everlund, Mirabar, or Silverymoon. The steady
caravan traffic breathes life into the towns of this area,
supporting businesses in the settlements along the
Long Road. Inns cater to travelers anxious to sleep
safely within sturdy walls and enjoy good food by a
warm fire instead of camping by the side of the road.
Minor issues are nothing unusual in the Dessarin
Valley, from bands of savage humanoids from the Sword
Mountains or the Evermoors, to bandits gathering in the
lonelier parts of the vale to waylay caravans traveling
the Long Road or the Kheldell Path. But six months
ago, an insidious new threat began to grow in the area,
unsuspected by the locals or any passing adventurers.

Red Larch has been an important stop on the Long
Road for two centuries now. Named for a distinctive
stand of red larch trees that were cut down when
the hamlet was founded, Red Larch is a prosperous
community facing dark times. The heart of the Sumber
Hills has become far more dangerous, with monsters
lurking seemingly everywhere. Banditry is on the rise,
and the weather seems to be getting more severe and
more unpredictable. The townsfolk fear that dangerous
times are at hand, but no one seems to know what to
do about it.

You are recently arrived to Red Larch, you each have your own reasons why you adventure, and through luck or happenstance you have come together for your first real adventure. Perhaps you know each other, or perhaps you have passed only a few words with each other before coming out this way. Whatever the case may be you have heard rumors of strange goings on in the area and have come to get to the bottom of it.

----

Okay this will be a DnD 5e game, starting at 1st level with the usual point buy character creation. The game may go as far as 15th level.
I am thinking of using a houserule for Champion fighter, if anyone actually goes that path, though it won't come up until 3rd level.
Should probably be on IRC fairly often, opened a channel at #PotA for the game.
Would like fairly frequent posts, one a day would be nice, though perhaps not always possible. But the faster the better.

Ryuujin posted:

Okay again thinking about ways to improve the Champion archetype of the Fighter, and while I like the idea pd0t, I believe it was, had about Fighters/Rogues/Barbarians/Rangers grabbing two archetypes from a specific list of classes when they grab their archetype, I have another idea.

This came from looking at the Gladiator, thinking man a fighter would like some of that, and trying to extrapolate and add it to the stuff Champion already gets. Also maybe add some other stuff just to fit the same kind of ideas.

So the Gladiator automatically deals an extra die of damage, would probably want to do that as the equivalent of a crit increase, like 2[W] from 4e turning a 2d6 weapon into a 4d6 instead of turning a 2d6 weapon into a 3d6 weapon. I am thinking of adding that to the Expanded Crit features. So an extra "weapon die" at 3rd level, and then another at 15th level, turning it into 3[W]. This would be in addition to the actual expanded crit range, and would make the expanded crit range all the better.

The Gladiator gets +10 Athletics, which looks like Str mod +Athletics Proficiency +proficiency again, so basically it seems the Gladiator gets Expertise in Athletics. Was tempted to add this to the 7th level Remarkable Athlete feature, which is like worse than the 3rd level Thief ability that is similar. But that didn't seem badass enough. So instead of Expertise in Athletics lets go Expertise in Strength. Period. Gain proficiency and Expertise in Athletics, and all other Strength Checks, also gain Expertise in Strength Saves, and Expertise in Strength based Attacks. Those last two don't normally have anyway of getting Expertise, but this would help setting them apart as really good at that kind of stuff. Still get the rest of the Remarkable Athlete stuff, for whatever good that does, and probably give them the ability to pick a new skill if they had Athletics already. This would also help fix the thing where a high strength Bard or Rogue is better than a Fighter, or Barbarian, at Grappling and Shoving.

Stuff I am thinking about maybe adding, but not sure and not sure what level I would add them if I did:

The Gladiator has Multiattack that lets them get 3 melee attacks or 2 ranged attacks, was tempted to give them an extra attack if all their attacks for the round are melee, but not sure what level I would give them that, if I was to give them that at all. Could be at the 10th level feature, but then Fighters get a 3rd attack at 11th level already.

One of the Gladiator's attack options in melee is a Shield Bash. Lets them attack with a shield, for 1d4 base damage, 2d4 with the Gladiator's feature, and force a DC 15 Strength saving throw on a medium or smaller creature hit or be knocked prone. This would be a pretty cool feature, though it would lead them toward a shield and spear/one handed weapon build, while the extra die on weapons feature would lead them toward big two handed weapons.

The Gladiator also gets a special Reaction called Parry that uses a Reaction to add 3, so probably proficiency, to its AC against one attack by a creature it can see. This feature does require the gladiator be wielding a weapon. This would be another nice feature that would be nice to add in to the Champion at some point, but not sure when.

Any ideas?

Maybe making Parry and Shield Bash, and some other options, dependent on what Fighting Styles the character has. Also tempted to add Feats like P.d0t mentions in the Next thread.

P.d0t posted:

That's my point, though; over the life of the typical campaign, they get ONE more ASI as compared to other classes (and on a class that natively needs to bump more ability scores to keep up). That just isn't enough.

Like, I'd be looking to do something like, "At level X, you gain one of the following feats based on your archetype/fighting style. You gain additional feats at level X+4 and X+8" or something.

Just a quick flipthrough of the feats in the PHB, I came up with a list something like this:

Champion: Athlete, Charger, Grappler, Tavern Brawler
Battle Master: Actor, Inspiring Leader, Skilled, Lucky
Eldritch Knight: Mage Slayer, Magic Initiate, Spell Sniper, War Caster

Archery: Crossbow Expert, Sharpshooter
Defense/Protection: Shield Master, Sentinel
Two-Weapon Fighting: Dual Wielder
Great Weapon Fighting: Great Weapon Master, Polearm Master, Savage Attacker
[Any]: Defensive Duelist, Tough

So thinking I might let all Fighters pick a feat when they gain a Fighting Style or an Archetype. The feat needs to fit their background, archetype or fighting style. It is a little open to interpretation but the above list would be some good suggestions.

Also looking to try out AlphaDog's? Leader Archetype.

AlphaDog? posted:

When you choose this archetype at third level, gain a number of grunts equal to your proficiency bonus. This number increases with your Proficiency bonus. See "Grunts", below.
Replace your Fighting Style with "Leader" (see below)
Gain the use of Formations, detailed below. You can use one Formation per turn.
Some of your Formations require the target to make a saving throw. The DC is 8 + prof bonus + Str or Dex mod, your choice
At 3rd, 7th, and 15th level, you (your grunts) gain proficiency in an extra skill
At 7th level, you can do some stuff involving using your grunts as scouts, see battlemaster 7th level ability.
At 15th level, when you roll initiative and have no unexhausted grunts remaining, one of your grunts becomes unexhausted.

Grunts

After you use a formation (ie, once the effect ends), one Grunt is Exhausted and can no longer be used.
Exhausted Grunts can be refreshed, one per short rest, all per long rest
Your attacks can originate from yourself or from any of your Grunts. If you have multiple attacks, each one can originate from a different grunt, the same grunt, or yourself.
Each non-exhausted Grunt can make an OA using your to-hit and damage rolls.
Attacks on Grunts count as attacks on you. Damage to grunts counts as damage to you.
Grunts have your movement rate, saves, AC, etc.

Fighting Style: Leader

At the start of each combat, decide whether your and your grunts gain
1: +1 to attack with ranged weapons
2: +1 bonus to AC
3: +2 bonus to melee damage rolls.

Formations:

You must have at least one non-exhausted Grunt in order to use a Formation. You may use one Formation per turn e: round.

Hold The Line:
Until the start of your next turn, enemies have disadvantage on all melee attacks against you and all allies adjacent to yourself or a grunt. You and your grrunts have Advantage on saving throws to avoid being tripped, grappled, knocked prone, or moved.

Outflank:
Until the start of your next turn, you and your allies and grunts gain advantage on melee attacks against opponents who have at least two of your grunts/allies adjacent to them.

Seize Them:
Every size Medium or smaller enemy adjacent to a grunt is restrained. Every size L creature adjacent to at least two grunts is restrained. This lasts until you use another formation or until all restrained monsters are no longer restrained, then exhausts a grunt. STR save as an action for monsters to break the restraint.

Push Them Back:
Every size Medium or smaller enemy adjacent to at least one grunt and every size Large enemy adjacent to at least 2 of you or your grunts is pushed back 10' if they fail a STR save. You and your grunts can follow them without provoking OA.

Massed Charge:
AS an attack action, you and your grunts move up to your movement rate, and then make a melee attack with advantage.

Evasive Maneuvering:
Any enemy attacking you or your Grunts gets disadvantage on their attack roll, as long as you and your grunts have moved on your previous turn. You gain Disadvantage on all melee (but not ranged) attacks. Lasts until another formation is used, then exhausts a grunt.

Defensive Maneuvering:
Until the start of your next turn, enemies have disadvantage on all attacks against you and your grunts. You and your grunts are not subject to enemy OA, but cannot attack.

Offensive Maneuvering:
Until the start of your next turn, enemies have advantage on all attacks against you and your grunts. You and your grunts are not subject to OA, and gain advantage on all attacks.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Apr 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

I'll getcha started. :)

Name: Lars "Longshanks" Borikfikod Trenchglazed
Race: Human (Variant)
Class: Ranger (Spelless variant)
Faction: Emerald Enclave
Height: 6'4"
Weight: 230lb
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral bordering on good? :shrug:
Ability Scores:
STR: 12(+1)
DEX: 16 (+3)
CON: 13 (+1)
INT: 10 (0)
WIS: 15 (+2)
CHA: 8 (-1)

Used human(variant) to add a point to dex and a point to wis.

HP: 11
AC: 14(16 with shield)
Initiative: +3
Saving throw proficiencies: Strength, Dexterity,
Skill Proficiencies: Acrobatics(H), Animal Handling(R), Perception(R), Sleight of Hand(U), Stealth(U), and Survival(R)Athletics(Skilled), Insight(Skilled)
Tool Proficiencies: Disguise Kit(Urchin), Thieves tools(Urchin), Cooks Utensils(Skilled)
Feats: Skilled(Human Variant)- 3 skills or tool proficiencies in any combination.
Sharpshooter(Free level 1 feat)- No disadvantage on long range attacks. Ranged attacks ignore half cover and three-quarters cover. Before making an attack I can take -5 to hit, on a hit the attack deals +10 damage.
Languages: Common, Dwarven, Halfling.
Background: Urchin
Personality Traits: I hide scraps of food and trinkets away in my pockets.
Personality Traits: I sleep with my back to a wall or tree, with everything I own wrapped in a bundle in my arms.
Ideal: People. I help the people who help me— that’s what keeps us alive.
Bond: I owe my survival to another urchin who taught me to live on the streets.
Flaw: I'd rather kill someone in their sleep then fight fair.
Favored Enemy: Human- As a gang member in the big city Lars has studied his own kind intensely and gotten good at tracking them down and casing a mark.
Dwarves- The Borikfikod were always at odds with some gang or another and Lars has taken the lessons of gang warfare to heart.
Favored Terrain: Grasslands

Money: 3sp 6cp
Armor: Leather Armor(10lb), Shield/Pot(10lb)-Spent the money on this to buy a shield and a pot and just combined them into one item.
Weapons: Longbow(2lb), 20 arrows(1lb), 1 quiver(1lb). Shortsword(2lb)
Tools: Cooks Utensils(8lb)
Gear: Backpack(5lb), Messkit(1lb), Tinderbox(1lb) 2 torches(2lb) Waterskin(5lb) A bell(-), blanket(3lb), Hammer(3lb) Piton(1/4lb), 50ft hempen robe(10lb)
Ingredients: Flour(1lb), Salt(1lb), Ginger(1lb), Pepper(1lb), Oil(1lb)

Buying wishlist: Studded leather.

Weight:62.25/180

Brief History posted:

Born in the slums of Athkatla and orphaned early in his life by gangs demanding protection money from those living in the docks, Lars was raised in an orphanage who used him to run errands or hire him out to clear pests from cellars for spare coin.

When he was old enough to be trusted to move about further into the city for more lucrative jobs Lars met another urchin who introduced him to the gangs of the city and taught him who'd be more likely to help a kid out.

Taken in with this aspect of freedom the criminal life supplies Lars begins working more lucrative jobs that the gangs provides taking to the work like a fish to water, he saves up money bit by bit handing off the scrap coins to the orphanage to uphold the facade that he is working to their interests and once he's saved up enough he abandons the detestable place early in his teens living on the streets and joining the first gang that would take him.

A Dwarven gang in the slums looking for a runner take the young teen in having him deliver messages and casing stores, Lars grateful for the work ends up taking on the gang name as his surname.

As Lars grows the Borikfikod use Lars' quickly sprouting height as a draw for the eye, sending him through the packed crowds of the markets his knife quickly flashing through the crowd coin purses and pack straps dropping to the ground, the crowds focusing on the pickpocket rushing forth whilst the dwarves follow quickly behind in his wake snatching up valuables from the ground.

It was on his 21st birthday that Lars was given a much more difficult job, his mission to break into a merchant's home and steal a delivery of gems the man had just received. Lars' was pleased and greatly surprised to be assigned to work with the same urchin of the past who had gotten him started down this career path so many years ago. The pair sort out a plan however unbeknownst to them a trap is laid on the vault they are attempting to crack open, Lars' old friend takes the full brunt of a lightning bolt to the chest and lays dead on the ground. Lars can only give a brief prayer to Mask as he makes to leave by the window.

A month later the gems have been fenced and Lars has put the unfortunate situation behind him as best he can, but things don't always turn out well for all involved, the head of the gang approaches Lars and puts down a wanted poster on the table with a fairly accurate depiction of himself on it. He's informed that his "friend" didn't quite die from the trap and rather than face the gallows turned traitor.

A manhunt in progress the Borikfikod quickly smuggle their wanted member out of the city and send him north to wait for the heat to blow over.

In recent days Lars has settled down in the town of Red Larch hunting the local pest beasts and monsters for coin and food but the slow life isn't the kind of thing Lars can do forever and he'll need to find something interesting to do soon or he'll have to make the situation more fun.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 1, 2015

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
I'm going to put in a character application for this but wanted to make it official. I should have a dwarven fighter using your champion variant up for review by tonight.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Okay there was some questions about the Fighter houserules so I will go in more detail. Also I am allowing the Spellless Ranger variant and Favored Soul Sorcerer Origin if you want to try them out.

----

Fighters
Okay first and foremost all Fighters gain a Feat at 1st level, and any other level where they gain a Fighting Style through the fighter class. No they don't get more feats by multiclassing Paladin or Ranger.

The Feat they get should reflect the Fighting Style, or possibly their Background or future Archetype.

Second all Fighters gain another Feat at 3rd level when they select an Archetype.

The Feat they get should reflect the Archetype, or possibly their Background or Fighting Style.

Third a new Archetype and Fighting Style are open to Fighters. The Leader Archetype, and the Leader Fighting Style, the Fighting Style does little if you aren't a Leader Archetype though.

Fourth I am making major changes to the Champion Archetype. It keeps pretty much all of its features, but they are expanded.

Some suggestions for the various Archetypes and Fighting Styles:

Champion: Athlete, Charger, Grappler, Tavern Brawler
Battle Master: Actor, Inspiring Leader, Skilled, Lucky
Eldritch Knight: Mage Slayer, Magic Initiate, Spell Sniper, War Caster
Leader: Alert, Dungeon Delver, Healer, Inspiring Leader, Keen Mind

Archery: Crossbow Expert, Sharpshooter
Defense/Protection: Shield Master, Sentinel
Two-Weapon Fighting: Dual Wielder
Great Weapon Fighting: Great Weapon Master, Polearm Master, Savage Attacker
[Any]: Defensive Duelist, Tough

Improved Champion Fighter
3rd Level Improved Critical+mproved Damage
Keep the Expanded Crit Range at 3rd and 15th level. But add an increase to damage, like the Gladiator's Brute feature. At 3rd, and again at 15th level, the Improved Champion gets an extra weapon's worth of damage on each Melee attack. A 1d8 weapon does 2d8 at 3rd level and 3d8 at 15h, while a 2d6 weapon does 4d6 at 3rd and 6d6 at 15th.

This makes them the best at melee damage, kind of, and synergises with their own expanded crit feature that otherwise was fairly anemic.

7th Remarkable Athlete+Remarkable Strength
Keep Remarkable Athlete as is except for the part of using half proficiency on non proficient Str checks. This is because Remarkable Strength grants you Proficiency and Expertise in all Strength Checks, including Athletics where you can pick a new skill if you already had proficiency in Athletics, also grants Expertise in Str saves, and in Str attacks. Something that no Expertise feature currently grants.

This is an expansion of the Gladiator clearly having Expertise in Athletics, and a Fighter being worse at Athletics than a Bard or Rogue. It also helps with being accurate and hard to stop with Str saves.

10th Additional Fighting Style+Improved Fighting Styles
Okay keep the second Fighting Style, and with the other changes to Fighter means yet another themed Feat. Improved Fighting Style grants something a little extra to each of your Fighting Styles.

[*]Two-Weapon Fighting: If you are wielding a weapon in each hand, you can make 2 attacks with the offhand weapon as a Bonus Action
[*]Great Weapon Fighting: Brutal 3, reroll all weapon dice that show up as a 1,2 or 3 until they show a 4 or higher when wielding a two-handed or versatile weapon two-handed. A Critical Hit with such a weapon in two hands stuns until the ends of your next turn.
[*]Protection: Gain a Shield Bash attack when wielding a shield. Shield deals 1d4 bludgeoning damage as base, before other Champion features adjust it, and hitting with the Shield Bash forces a Str save DC 8+your Str Mod+Proficiency (do not double proficiency here.) Failure on the Save knocks the target prone. You can make a Shield Bash as a Bonus Action, and/or you can use it in place of any of your normal melee attacks with the Attack Action. A Critical Hit with the Shield Bash causes the Dazed condition, until the end of your next turn.
[*]Archery: Your Improved Crit Range is doubled with Ranged Weapon Attacks. Critical hits with Ranged Weapon Attacks now inflict Restrained condition, until they use an Action to remove the arrow, or succeed on a Str save DC 8+your Dex Mod+Proficiency. Reminder that neither Improved Damage nor Remarkable Strength are used with Crossbow or Bow attacks.
[*]Dueling: Dueling Bonus damage is now increased to +2+Proficiency. Can now make an extra attack with a Bonus Action. Critical Hits under the same conditions that the Dueling Bonus damage is granted now inflict a Bleed. Each round until they succeed on a Con save DC 8+your Str/Dex Mod+Proficiency (do not double proficiency here), or receive a Medicine check beating that same DC, they bleed for an amount of damage equal to your Dueling Bonus Damage.
[*]Defense: When wielding a Melee weapon, or shield, can use your Reaction to add your Proficiency to AC against one attack against you made by a creature that you can see. You are immune to critical hits. When a creature would crit against you it is instead a normal hit, and no extra features that trigger off a critical hit are triggered.
[*]Leader: If you somehow gain the Leader Fighting Style, which is less useful without the Leader Archetype, all numerical bonuses are doubled.

AlphaDog? posted:

When you choose this archetype at third level, gain a number of grunts equal to your proficiency bonus. This number increases with your Proficiency bonus. See "Grunts", below.
Replace your Fighting Style with "Leader" (see below)
Gain the use of Formations, detailed below. You can use one Formation per turn.
Some of your Formations require the target to make a saving throw. The DC is 8 + prof bonus + Str or Dex mod, your choice
At 3rd, 7th, and 15th level, you (your grunts) gain proficiency in an extra skill
At 7th level, you can do some stuff involving using your grunts as scouts, see battlemaster 7th level ability.
At 15th level, when you roll initiative and have no unexhausted grunts remaining, one of your grunts becomes unexhausted.

Grunts

After you use a formation (ie, once the effect ends), one Grunt is Exhausted and can no longer be used.
Exhausted Grunts can be refreshed, one per short rest, all per long rest
Your attacks can originate from yourself or from any of your Grunts. If you have multiple attacks, each one can originate from a different grunt, the same grunt, or yourself.
Each non-exhausted Grunt can make an OA using your to-hit and damage rolls.
Attacks on Grunts count as attacks on you. Damage to grunts counts as damage to you.
Grunts have your movement rate, saves, AC, etc.

Fighting Style: Leader

At the start of each combat, decide whether your and your grunts gain
1: +1 to attack with ranged weapons
2: +1 bonus to AC
3: +2 bonus to melee damage rolls.

Formations:

You must have at least one non-exhausted Grunt in order to use a Formation. You may use one Formation per turn e: round.

Hold The Line:
Until the start of your next turn, enemies have disadvantage on all melee attacks against you and all allies adjacent to yourself or a grunt. You and your grrunts have Advantage on saving throws to avoid being tripped, grappled, knocked prone, or moved.

Outflank:
Until the start of your next turn, you and your allies and grunts gain advantage on melee attacks against opponents who have at least two of your grunts/allies adjacent to them.

Seize Them:
Every size Medium or smaller enemy adjacent to a grunt is restrained. Every size L creature adjacent to at least two grunts is restrained. This lasts until you use another formation or until all restrained monsters are no longer restrained, then exhausts a grunt. STR save as an action for monsters to break the restraint.

Push Them Back:
Every size Medium or smaller enemy adjacent to at least one grunt and every size Large enemy adjacent to at least 2 of you or your grunts is pushed back 10' if they fail a STR save. You and your grunts can follow them without provoking OA.

Massed Charge:
AS an attack action, you and your grunts move up to your movement rate, and then make a melee attack with advantage.

Evasive Maneuvering:
Any enemy attacking you or your Grunts gets disadvantage on their attack roll, as long as you and your grunts have moved on your previous turn. You gain Disadvantage on all melee (but not ranged) attacks. Lasts until another formation is used, then exhausts a grunt.

Defensive Maneuvering:
Until the start of your next turn, enemies have disadvantage on all attacks against you and your grunts. You and your grunts are not subject to enemy OA, but cannot attack.

Offensive Maneuvering:
Until the start of your next turn, enemies have advantage on all attacks against you and your grunts. You and your grunts are not subject to OA, and gain advantage on all attacks.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 7, 2015

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

I'll definitely go down the spelless ranger route, it works better flavor-wise with the characterization I'm going for anyhow and it's fun to test out new stuff.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

Porpoise I'm stealing your form while I work on my proper sheet. :eng101:

Name: Darys Stoneback
Race: Mountain Dwarf
Class: Fighter plan to use houserule champion archetype
Height: 5'0
Weight: 150
Alignment: NG
Ability Scores:
STR: 17 (+3)
DEX: 13 (+1)
CON: 16 (+3)
INT: 10 (+0)
WIS: 12 (+1)
CHA: 8 (-1)

HP: 13
AC: 17 total (16 in Chain Mail plus 1ac for dual wielder feat) (18 if using shield)
Initiative: +1
Saving throw proficiencies: Strength and Constitution
Skill Proficiencies: Perception, Insight, Intimidation, Athletics | All simple & martial weapons, all armors, shields. (Racial: Dwarven Weapons (battleaxe, handaxe, throwing hammer,and warhammer)
Tool Proficiencies: Brewer's tools/supplies
Fighting Style: Two-Weapon Fighting -When you engage in two-weapon fighting, you can add your ability modifier to the damage of the second attack.
Feats: Dual Wielder (+1ac, dual wielding non-finesse weapons allowed)
Languages: Common, Dwarven
Background: Soldier
Personality Traits: "I enjoy being strong and breaking things!"
Ideal: Greater Good. Our lot is to lay down our lives in defense of others. (Good)
Bond: Those who fight beside me are those worth dying for.
Flaw: My hatred of my enemies is blind and unreasoning.
Trinket: 45 A tiny chest carved to look like it has numerous feet on the bottom: 1d100 45 Some of these things are just strange.
Cash:

Backstory:

Whether you were at the mouth of the mine beginning your shift or deep down in the mountain itself the dwarves of the Stoneback Clan went about their business the same way they had for hundreds of year. The familiar sounds of pick axes and hammers filled the tunnels with a kind of music only a dwarf could appreciate. The tink tink tink of the prospectors digging their new tunnels. The curse of a dwarf as he whacked his head and the roar of laughter from his fellows. These were the sounds that Darys Stoneback grew up hearing. Working in the mines of his family and clan was good, honest work for a dwarf. But he always had this nagging feeling at the back of his head that he was meant for something else. Tall for a dwarf and always smiling he found himself dealing with the human and elven traders that came to buy materials from the Clan. Most of the time it was because he was young and the older dwarfs didn't care to deal with the outsiders. They found the way young Darys got along with them a bit peculiar. But it often lead to better sales and happier clients so they were happy enough to let the boisterous dwarf carry on.

When the orc clans rose up all along the Sword Coast the dwarven clans were eager to send their kin to do battle with their mortal enemies. Moradin's praise was sure to fall upon any of his children who took the fight to the hated green skinned menace. And it came to be that Darys found a soldiers life to be quite agreeable. The cause was just, the fights were glorious, and being out among the finest warriors the land had to offer only drove Darys to improve. But as the years went by and friends and comrades fell he couldn't help but feel an empty space open up in his heart. He found himself wishing that he was in a place where the friends he made didn't die at his side. When it came time for his service to end he was glad to muster out of the army. But he found himself without a direction. Looking for guidance he consulted the clerics but found no answers. It wasn't until he was sitting in a tavern by himself that fate decided to give the dwarf a shove in the right direction.

I got more figured out for his backstory but need to work on the wording. Basically Darys decides his destiny is to take up brewing and open up his own tavern where everybody knows your name. He's taken to an adventurers life to raise a stake that one of his family members has promised to match if he can come up with it.

Trast fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 11, 2015

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Sure I got like a billion character ideas to use I'll app one

Stand by for CECILLE ROTA, COSMIC QUANTIFIER (numbers-themed wizard)

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Ryuujin posted:

• Protection: Gain a Shield Bash attack when wielding a shield. Shield deals 1d4 bludgeoning damage as base, before other Champion features adjust it, and hitting with the Shield Bash forces a Str save DC 8+your Str Mod+Proficiency (do not double proficiency here.) Failure on the Save knocks the target prone. You can make a Shield Bash as a Bonus Action, and/or you can use it in place of any of your normal melee attacks with the Attack Action. A Critical Hit with the Shield Bash causes the Dazed condition, until the end of your next turn.
  • Archery: Your Improved Crit Range is doubled with Ranged Weapon Attacks. Critical hits with Ranged Weapon Attacks now inflict Restrained condition, until they use an Action to remove the arrow, or succeed on a Str save DC 8+your Str Mod+Proficiency (do not double proficiency here.) Reminder that neither Improved Damage nor Remarkable Strength are used with Crossbow or Bow attacks.
  • Dueling: Dueling Bonus damage is now increased to +2+Proficiency. Can now make an extra attack with a Bonus Action. Critical Hits under the same conditions that the Dueling Bonus damage is granted now inflict a Bleed. Each round until they succeed on a Con save DC 8+your Str Mod+Proficiency (do not double proficiency here), or receive a Medicine check beating that same DC, they bleed for an amount of damage equal to your Dueling Bonus Damage.

Probably you would want to make the Archery DC based off of DEX instead of STR; Dueling DC could probably be changed to DEX or STR because HURRAY FOR Finesse Weapons.

I was debating recycling one of my previous characters (and I will probably use one if there is peer pressure) but I'm thinking of going for the smitey Paladin/Sorcerer thing I've been theorycrafting forever.

E: also, I'm an idiot for even suggesting this houserule, because getting a feat for taking 1 level of Fighter does nothing to discourage MC'ing out of Fighter almost immediately. If anything, it should come at a higher level AND be limited by Fighting Style. :suicide:
Or like, just straight up, "every level at which you gain a fighter's Martial Archetype Feature, you also gain a Feat; when you gain your Martial Archetype at level 3, you gain a feat tied to your Fighting Style."
Yeah, I think I like that better.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Apr 7, 2015

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
I'll apply for this, mostly because it is an amusing opportunity for foreshadowing.
Zeshoon Four

High Concept posted:

Personality - We are legion, and we each walk the path of the progenitor in our own way.
Ideal - I must reclaim the strength that is my birthright.
Bond - Brothers all are we, the six hundred and sixty-six sons of the progenitor.
Flaw - I have little respect for anyone who is not a smooth criminal.

Background: Prologue posted:

The last year along the Sword Coast has been a literal blood bath, with dozens of chromatic dragons and nearly every single member of the Cult of the Dragon operating in the region slain by a rampaging Harper operative known only as 'Mr. Z'. Some sort of hero of great renown, it is said in the tales of bards that he journeyed with a group of companions, and saw first-hand the destruction wrought by the Cult of the Dragon and its vile machinations. As if often the case with powerful wizards, his strength soon eclipsed that of his foes, but he was nonetheless forced to accept that there simply wasn't enough time to be in the hundred places at once that would be required to truly put an end to evil in the Realms.

However, unlike Elminster before him, this particular Harper wizard had no intention of merely standing by while evil bloomed across the land. In a terrible abuse of power several months ago, he collapsed part of the Weave in upon itself through the use of ten thousand successive wishes - a feat that should be theoretically impossible - and used the essence of magic drawn from this act to clone himself six hundred and sixty-six times. However, rather than creating mere arcane clones, he has given true life and purpose to each newly forged soul. Many suspect that this act is his first foray on the path to godhood, though such a purpose stands in stark contrast to the historical behaviors of members of the Harper organization.

Regardless of the intent, now the hero who was one stands as a unified army of growing arcane might, of which Zeshoon Four counts himself a member. Each agent of this newly-formed branch of the Harpers answers directly to the progenitor, and serves his will as best he is able. As an unfortunate consequence of forging truly living souls, rather than arcane clones, much of the original might of the progenitor was lost in the creation of Zeshoon Four's body and soul. As a result, his first task, as laid down by the progenitor, is to travel the world and regain a semblance of the arcane power that is his birthright.
pre:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Name:		Zeshoon Four					Alignment:	Chaotic Neutral
Race:		Half-elf (clone)				Sub-race:	Damaran (clone)
Class:		Rogue (1) / Warlock (1)				Background:	Criminal (spy)
Size:		Medium						Homeland:	Vaasa

STR		 8 (-1)	[ 8 base]		(0)		INT		12 (+1)	[12 base]			(4)
DEX		16 (+3)	[15 base + 1 racial]	(9)		WIS		13 (+1)	[11 base + 1 racial + 1 feat]	(3)
CON		10 (+0)	[10 base]		(2)		CHA		17 (+3)	[15 base + 2 racial]		(9)
Perception	20	[10 base + 5 skill + 5 feat]		Investigation	20	[10 base + 5 skill + 5 feat]

HP		13/13	[8 rogue + 5 warlock + 0 ability]	AC		14	[11 armor + 3 dexterity]
Proficiency	+2	[Lv. 1]					Initiative	+3	[ 3 base]
Speed		30'	[30 racial]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Special abilities:
   Race:	Half-elf
		+2 Charisma / +1 Dexterity / +1 Wisdom
		Skill proficiency (performance)
		Skill proficiency (persuasion)
		Language proficiency (common)
		Language proficiency (elvish)
		Language proficiency (primordial)
		Darkvision
		 • Can see in dim light within 60' as if it were bright light.
		 • Can see in darkness as if it were dim light.
		Fey ancestry
		 • Advantage on saving throws against being charmed.
		 • Immune to sleep.

Class:	Rogue (Lv. 1)
		Skill proficiency (sleight of hand)
		Skill proficiency (stealth)
		Skill proficiency and expertise (investigation)
		Skill proficiency and expertise (perception)
		Save proficiency (dexterity)
		Save proficiency (intelligence)
		Tool proficiency (thieves' tools)
		Language proficiency (thieves' cant)
		Sneak attack (+1d6)

Warlock (Lv. 1)
		Otherworldly patron (the Great Old One)
		 • Awakened mind
		     You can communicate telepathically with any creature you can see within 30 feet of you.
		     You don’t need to share a language with the creature for it to understand your telepathic
		     utterances, but the creature must be able to understand at least one language.
		Pact magic
		• Cantrips		(2)
		• Spell slots [Lv. 1]	(1)
		• Spells known		(2)
		• Spellcasting focus

Background:	Criminal (spy)
		Skill proficiency (acrobatics)						[Replacing stealth]
		Skill proficiency (deception)
		Tool proficiency (dice set)
		Tool proficiency (poisoner's kit)					[Replacing thieves' tools]

Criminal contact
		• You have a reliable and trustworthy contact who acts as your liaison to a network
		  of other criminals. You know how to get messages to and from your contact, even over
		  great distances; specifically, you know the local messengers, corrupt caravan masters,
		  and seedy sailors who can deliver messages for you.

Feats:	Observant								[Bonus]
		• +1 Wisdom
		• If you can see a creature’s mouth while it is speaking a language you understand,
		  you can interpret what it’s saying by reading its lips.
		• You have a +5 bonus to your passive Wisdom (Perception) and passive Intelligence
		  (Investigation) scores.
Proficiencies:
Skills:
Athletics		- 1		---		STR	[0 proficiency - 1 ability]
Acrobatics		+ 5		Criminal	DEX	[2 proficiency + 3 ability]
Sleight of hand		+ 5		Rogue		DEX	[2 proficiency + 3 ability]
Stealth			+ 5		Rogue		DEX	[2 proficiency + 3 ability]
Knowledge
   (arcana)		+ 1		---		INT	[0 proficiency + 1 ability]
   (history)		+ 1		---		INT	[0 proficiency + 1 ability]
   (investigation)	+ 5		Rogue		INT	[2 proficiency + 1 ability + 2 expertise]
   (nature)		+ 1		---		INT	[0 proficiency + 1 ability]
   (religion)		+ 1		---		INT	[0 proficiency + 1 ability]
Animal handling		+ 1		---		WIS	[0 proficiency + 1 ability]
Insight			+ 1		---		WIS	[0 proficiency + 1 ability]
Medicine		+ 1		---		WIS	[0 proficiency + 1 ability]
Perception		+ 5		Rogue		WIS	[2 proficiency + 1 ability + 2 expertise]
Survival		+ 1		---		WIS	[0 proficiency + 1 ability]
Deception		+ 5		Criminal	CHA	[2 proficiency + 3 ability]
Intimidation		+ 3		---		CHA	[0 proficiency + 3 ability]
Performance		+ 5		Half-elf	CHA	[2 proficiency + 3 ability]
Persuasion		+ 5		Half-elf	CHA	[2 proficiency + 3 ability]

Equipment:
Arms			Simple / Hand Crossbow / Longsword / Rapier / Shortsword	[Rogue]
Armor			Light								[Rogue]

Saves:
Strength		- 1		---			[0 proficiency - 1 ability]
Dexterity		+ 5		Rogue			[2 proficiency + 3 ability]
Constitution		+ 0		---			[0 proficiency + 0 ability]
Intelligence		+ 3		Rogue			[2 proficiency + 1 ability]
Wisdom			+ 1		---			[0 proficiency + 1 ability]
Charisma		+ 3		---			[0 proficiency + 3 ability]

Languages:	 	4					[3 racial + 1 class]
   Standard            (2):		Common, Elvish
   Exotic	       (2):		Primordial, Thieves' Cant
Pact magic:
Cantrips
   Friends			(Concentration)	[Enchantment]		[Warlock  1-1]	[Somatic / Material]
   Minor illusion				[Illusion]		[Warlock  1-2]	[Somatic / Material]

Level 1
   Charm person					[Enchantment]		[Warlock  1-1]	[Verbal / Somatic]
   Hex				(Concentration)	[Enchantment]		[Warlock  1-2]	[Verbal / Somatic / Material]
Wealth:
Arms
Dagger		[x 2]	[Rogue]		(    -   gp)		  2    lbs.		1d4 piercing / finesse / light / thrown
Rapier			[Rogue]		(    -   gp)		  2    lbs.		1d8 piercing / finesse
Shortbow		[Rogue]		(    -   gp)		  2    lbs.		1d6 piercing / two-handed
   Arrows	[x20]	[Rogue]		(    -   gp)		  1    lbs.

Armor and clothing
Leather armor		[Rogue]		(    -   gp)		 10    lbs.		11 AC
Clothes (common)	[Criminal]	(    -   gp)		  3    lbs.		Dark and hooded

Equipment
Thieves' tools		[Rogue]		(    -   gp)		  1    lbs.
Crowbar			[Criminal]	(    -   gp)		  5    lbs.
Belt pouch		[Criminal]	(    -   gp)		  1    lbs.

Burglar's pack		[Criminal]	(   -    gp)
   - Backpack		   - Bag of 1,000 ball bearings
   - 10 feet of string	   - Bell
   - 5 candles		   - Crowbar
   - Hammer		   - 10 pitons
   - Hooded lantern	   - 2 flasks of oil
   - 5 days of rations	   - Tinderbox
   - Waterskin		   - 50' hemp rope

Carrying capacity
Strength			   8		[ 8]
Carrying capacity		 120 lbs.	[ 8 * 15]
Push / drag / lift		 240 lbs.	[ 8 * 30]

Waador fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 10, 2015

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Okay if we are going to end up with a bunch of people dipping fighter for a feat I think I will have to make a change to the houserules.

Fighter's no longer gain a feat when they get a Fighting Style. Also instead of gaining a feat when they pick their Archetype they straight up get a feat every time they pick up a fighter Archetype feature. So 3rd, 7th, 10th, 15th, and 18th Fighter levels. This will grant a straight fighter more feats in the long run.

So that the already submitted Fighters don't have to pick a feat to drop I am instead giving everyone a single free feat at 1st level.

For the Fighters this changes nothing at 1st level, for the others this means you get a new feat.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Alrighty updating my sheet with the new feat.

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Hopefully I am not too late to throw an app in the door! First time playing in a PbP so here is hoping! I had no idea how much gold we started with so I just went with the class stuff it gives you, plus the 15 gp from the Acolyte.

I took the Variant Human Trait so I received a Feat and +1 to two stats, as well as an extra skill.

pre:
Khidash Lodi, Level 4 Human Acrolyte Cleric of Lathander following the Life Domain, member of the Order of the Gauntlet

41 years of age, 5'10, brown hair, brown eyes

[STR: 13 | +1] [DEX: 10 | +0] [CON: 14 | +2] [INT: 8 | -1] [WIS: 18 | +4] [CHA: 14 | +2]

[HP: 31] [AC: 15] [INIT: +5] [SPD: 30]

[Prof Bonus: +2] [Prof Saves | WIS, CHA]

[Insight +5] [Medicine +5] [Persuasion +4] [Religion +1] [Perception +5]

[Spell DC: 14] [Spell Attack: +6]
[Cantrips: 4 Light, Guidance, Resistance, Sacred Flame | Lvl 1: 4 | Lvl 2: 3]

[Weapons]
Mace | +3 BtH | 1D6 + 1 | Bludgeon
Shortbow | +2 BtH | 1D6 | Piercing | 20 Arrows

[Armor]
Chain Mail | 16 + 0
Shield | + 2

[Money: 57 GP, 7 CP]

[Misc. Gear]

-From Acolyte-
Wooden Holy Symbol, Prayer Book, 5 sticks of incense, vestments, common clothes, a wooden whistle colored gold

-From Explorer's Pack-
Backpack, a bedroll, a mess kit, a tinderbox, 10 torches, 10 days of rations, and a waterskin. The pack also has 50 feet of hempen rope
strapped to the side of it.

-Other-
Gave Driftglobe away before parting

[Life Domain]
Bonus Spells: Cure Wounds | Bless | Lesser Restoration | Spiritual Weapon
Disciple of Life: Healing Spells heal an additional 2 + Spell Level
Channel Divinity: Preserve Life (20 HP)
Channel Divinity: Turn Undead

[Feats]
Alert - +5 INIT Bonus, Can't be surprised, No Advantage on me when attacker is hidden
Spellsniper - Druid Spell List - Thorn Whip

pre:
[Languages]
Common, Orc, Elvish, Dwarvish

[Proficiency]
Simple Weapons, Light, Medium, Heavy Armor, Shields

[Personality]
I quote (or misquote) sacred texts and proverbs in almost every situation.

[Ideal]
We must help bring about the changes the gods are constantly working in the world.

[Bond]
I will do anything to protect the temple where I served.

[Flaw]
I judge others harshly, and myself even more severely.
[Backstory]
Where this older gentleman is from exactly is a question that the orphan has prayed for an answer to since he was old enough to clasp his hands willingly and say prayers in the name of Lathander. For Khidash his upbringing was one of devout dedication to the church and the various causes that it champions across the Realms. For his entire life he was raised in Baldur's Gate, trained in the craft of medicine and first aid to help attend to the sick and poor that were commonplace in the large bustling port city. His upbringing was spared the pain of being alone and hungry, and thus he knew that he needed to pay the privilege he was given forward to those less fortunate. When he was finally of age and felt blessed enough for a new calling in life, Khidash said his farewells to the men and women of the church who raised him from a small child, and set off in search of his own path to walk. The young cleric's mind was filled with ideas of all levels of grandeur. Starting a temple, leading to crusade, even becoming a wandering wight slayer was on the young man's mind at some point.

His travels have been full of ceremony, prayer, and knowledge thus far. He has experienced first hand the pains of hunger and the dangers of the road, both issues he only dreamed about in the worst nightmares happening to him. As time has made him older and wiser, he has learned that no man is safe from the calling of gold and fame. This has lead his boots to point to Red Larch, where he hopes he can join a company in a task for gold and glory. Looking back to his younger self and remembering how he used to view his life, he only sees now that perhaps he should embrace the aspects of growth that Lathander's works preach to better himself.

Perhaps he will be able to make a few conversions to Lathander's Light along the way...

Dr. Doji Suave fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 11, 2015

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

You get whatever your background gives you and then there is a chart in the phb for rolling starting money, Clerics start at 5d4x10.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
How does the leadership archetype interact with area of effect attacks?
It seems to read like they all share one HP pool (i.e., the PC's). So if you have three grunts and yourself in a fireball do you take x4 the damage?

Also when did you want all applications in by? I didn't see a date in the main post.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
The Fighter and Grunts only take the damage once from an AoE.

Also I guess about a week from now. Or until I get enough submissions that I feel like I should start it.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
I'm not super sure on all the fighter/ranger stuff and how you want it to work with multi-classing. However, if you're willing to give me the free extra feat (and after some nudging from pd0t/Porpoise), I would like to offer The One You Know Well, and my favorite: Quilian Nailos.

First off, a quick explanation of things: This link is Quilian's entire history (including backstory, past and current adventures), his planned leveling path up to level 9 (this is the earliest point in which his character concept becomes fully realized), PHB-copied descriptions of all chosen spells, abilities, feats and the like, his equipment with verbose descriptions (possible story hooks if you felt inclined), and other assorted bits of information. This is the tell-all document for anything Quilian related, from physical appearance to general attitude and just about anything else I can come up with. It is always being modified, added to and altered as things pop in and out of my head.

It's extremely big and there's absolutely no way anyone should ever read it, which means I'll be working on a proper level character sheet and another document that will cover his progress during this specific game. However, he will be progressing as seen in the big document. Gaining an extra feat at the start is quite helpful in tapping into his potential earlier than the rules normally allow, but that would be very exciting indeed. Until I can formalize a properly leveled character sheet and dedicate a document for this game, I'll post the short version of his story here. This too will be expanded on to better link it to this campaign.

Quilian Nailos posted:

Ever since he was a child, Quilian possessed an adventurer’s spirit. Wandering, exploring and engaging in conflict with less-than-savory types. Though not naturally violent, Quilian became obsessed with swordsmanship when he helped save his village from an Orc raid. It was the turning point for the elf, one that lead into a life of adventure, developing his arts and bearing witness to the vast majesty of the world.

While Quilian had been through much, it was a fated encounter with a red wizard of Thay that brought about another great change in his life. Having broken an orb the man carried, he had been transported to a Faerun he had never seen nor known before. Little of his possessions had survived the event, save for a mysterious ring in his pocket, and he found himself in a hostile forest known as Lurkwood before being rescued by a hunting party from Longsaddle.

From there Quilian rebuilt himself, having found his martial prowess suffered greatly from the experience, a lingering sense of weakness hounding him. In the months following, he would regain much of his strengths, though never quite fully doing away with what weakness clings in his soul. Now he continues to adventure, finding this new world filled with good people, bad problems, and sights that rival any he has ever seen before. Someday he may find an answer to what happened with the wizard and those brought over from the incident, and of this strange ring he carries. For now, he is content to better himself with bow and sword, seeing all that the world has to offer.

Quilian Nailos and the :words: posted:

Quilian’s last adventure had taken him down to the depths of the underdark, finding the gnomes of blingdenstone and re-establishing their home. He spent several months down in that place, honing his skills while being of use to the community, but it was not long before his sense of adventure brought him to the surface world. He said goodbye to the gnomes and to his friend Sereia, of who he hoped to see again out in the vast world.

When he emerged from the tunnels, a nearby Silverymoon played host to Quilian for some time, where he spent his time researching the world and better learning of Faerun in general. His time performing odds and ends kept his coin purse well stocked, while he camped just outside the city’s protective walls in the rather pleasant woods outside. The word of many troubles came across his ears, and at times it seemed impossible to ignore - yet which to pursue was difficult to decide. As a lone Ranger, the smaller and more immediate work fit him best; dispatching typical monsters on the outskirts of the city, their numbers growing, their attitudes bolder and more aggressive. Some of this work took him far from the city, but he would always find his way back.

Then came word regarding the woes of the people of Red Larch, located in the Dessarin Valley. More reports of monsters, bandits and other talk of potentially darker deeds. These reports flowed across Silverymoon, and Quilian soon believed these problems were no trifling matter. Perhaps it was time to move onto something bigger. Test what he had practiced so diligently since his time underground.

The trip from Silverymoon to Red Larch in the Dessarin Valley was almost as perilous as his time spent in the underdark. An assortment of monsters and bandits alike met their end on his blades, much to the rejoicing of the small-scaled wagon owners he hitched his rides with. From Silverymoon, his path linked onto the Evermoor Way. That road lead through Yartar to Triboar, then south to Westbridge. Finally, after much time traveling on foot, he came before Red Larch.

No sooner had he arrived than did he become familiar with the town’s woes. As the reports claimed - bandits, monsters, and even the weather itself seems set against the people. Some are tired from the daily fears, others angered by the failed attempts to restore prosperity. It became clear this task was not something one could accomplish alone - even if he did uncover what ails this place, his strength of arms alone would all in all, not be enough.

There are others here who seek companions like Quilian, though each seem to have their own reasons for pursuing these problems. Allies is what the elf needs, and they are in no short supply here. The issue is one he faces frequently in this line of work; to who does he throw his lot in with? As he nurses a simple mug of ale at the local drink, the answer to that question soon presents itself..

Edit1: A proper document for Quilian Nailos. I've decided to use a document only instead of updating a character sheet along with, as it takes forever to update, delete and upload every level. This one should cover all the bases, including skill selection, background information, and so on. Hopefully in a quick, easy-to-reference format.

Edit2: Additional story is up. Think this should cover just about everything. Let me know if you need any more!

Edit3:

Lothire fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Apr 11, 2015

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
I've edited my sheet in and it is mostly done, perhaps subject to a few minor edits depending on what the other applications look like. The only thing likely to change on the sheet is race (half-elf might end up making more sense, and some statistics would get shuffled around accordingly). That's largely dependent on whether the rest of the party ends up having darkvision or not, as I generally hate being the odd guy out who needs a light source. So far it seems like most people have darkvision so that's looking pretty likely.

As well, many of the edits are future tense, because as it stands there are two pathways I can take and I haven't really decided on which makes the most sense:

- First option is Rogue 1 / druid remainder, picking up Sentinel at level 5 and letting a party member ride me as their primary mount for most of the game. This really only works if someone wants to grab mounted combat, but it'd be worth doing. I'd prefer to have a riding partner planned before committing to that path though.

- Second option is Rogue 3 (assassin) / warlock remainder, picking up Actor at level 5 and being a highly specialized infiltrator. Between 20 charisma, proficiency in deception and performance, and advantage on those checks when impersonating others, as well as at-will disguise self through an invocation, I expect I'd spend most of the game creating and executing elaborate schemes. Not really sure if this is the game for that (i.e. no idea how big the social component is to it), but if it's anything like HOTDQ, being the other published mega-adventure, it'd probably get enough mileage to not be a waste of time. Most of my actions in combat would probably default to giving people advantage/disadvantage through illusions, which isn't particularly great but keeps the sharpshooter(s) functional, so wouldn't be an awful result.

The other aspect to consider is that the druid option is really just me playing Bloody Roar in 5E format.
In contrast, the warlock option is me playing Michael Jackson's Smooth Criminal in 5E format. ~yao~
Are there any preferences towards one or the other from the prospective party?

Waador fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 10, 2015

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

That numbers wizard I mentioned is probably going to end up being a warlock, im reflavoring the fey patron as some kind of computational god-machine

so on the off chance that we both get in rogue/druid would overlap less, but really, do whatever you like most

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Whatever you wanna play Waador, go ahead. I am sure we will make any sort of group we have work. :)

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug

Dr. Doji Suave posted:

Whatever you wanna play Waador, go ahead. I am sure we will make any sort of group we have work. :)
...my choice might depend on whether I can use a rhinestone glove as an arcane focus.

Shark Mafia posted:

That numbers wizard I mentioned is probably going to end up being a warlock, im reflavoring the fey patron as some kind of computational god-machine
so on the off chance that we both get in rogue/druid would overlap less, but really, do whatever you like most
We would likely end up a bit different even if both warlocks, given the very limited spell and invocation selection. Patron-wise I'd be going Fiend, so that's a differentiating factor as well. Would you be going Tome for the pact, or something else?

Waador fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 10, 2015

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Also my character is human so he has no special vision properties outside of looking for trouble.

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Waador posted:

...my choice might depend on whether I can use a rhinestone glove as an arcane focus.

We would likely end up a bit different even if both warlocks, given the very limited spell and invocation selection. Patron-wise I'd be going Fiend, so that's a differentiating factor as well. Would you be going Tome for the pact, or something else?

Tome, yeah. Really, forget I mentioned it.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Shark Mafia posted:

That sounds interesting. Ryuujin's had a really entertaining Modron druid in the Monster Hunter campaign so I'm looking forward to seeing what this will look like.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Dr. Doji Suave posted:

EDIT: Rolled my starting Gold: Rolling for starting Gold: 5d4x10 1 I screwed up the formula but I figured it would be fair to just keep the 5d4 roll and times it by 10 normally, so 130 Gold.

A Darker Porpoise posted:

You get whatever your background gives you and then there is a chart in the phb for rolling starting money, Clerics start at 5d4x10.

Sorry it just occurred to me I answered your question about starting gold wrong :v: I had thought you were going to roll for gold to buy equipment, if you take the initial package of stuff you just take whatever gold your background gives you, if you roll for gold you have to buy everything but your background equipment from scratch.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Lothire posted:

Quilian Nailos.

Well that streamlines my thought process considerably.

Sereia Arlingfeld [link goes to fluff]
Half-Elf Paladin (for real this time)

STR 10
DEX 16 [15 point-buy + 1 Racial]
CON 14
INT 08
WIS 14 [13 point-buy + 1 Racial] (save prof)
CHA 14 [12 point-buy + 2 Racial] (save prof)

HP: 14 (Hit Die [10], CON [2], Feat [2])
AC: 17 (Studded Leather [12], DEX [3], Shield [2])

Skill Proficiencies
Class: Intimidation, Persuasion
Race: Bluff, Insight
Background: Acrobatics, Stealth

Languages
Race: Common, Elven, Dwarven
Background: Undercommon, Gnomish

Equipment
Class:
(a) a martial weapon and a shield or (b) two martial weapons [taking Shortsword and Shield]
(a) five javelins or (b) any simple melee weapon [taking a Dagger]
(a) a priest's pack or (b) an explorer's pack
Chain mail and a holy symbol [trading down to Studded Leather + 30 gp, holy symbol goes onto Shield]

Background [Soldier]:
  • An insignia of rank
  • a trophy taken from a fallen enemy
  • a set of bone dice or deck of cards
  • a set of common clothes
  • belt pouch containing 10 gp
[will figure out specifics later]

Class Features
Divine Sense
Lay on Hands

Race Features
Fey Ancestry: Advantage on saves vs. Charm, magic can't put you to sleep
Darkvision: dim light = bright light up to 60ft, darkness = dim light
Speed: 30

Bonus Feat
Tough: 2 HP per level

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 11, 2015

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
Sereia :hfive:

Did a bunch of editing to my earlier post, added in a new document with properly 1st level Quilian. Threw in his connecting story, which has him spending some handful of months around Silverymoon after the Blingdenstone adventure, having his own sort of mini-adventures and picks up from there. Hopefully I covered everything - I normally have a character sheet to fill out and double check, so doing it via a google document is a little free-form. Still, I really like not having to download, edit, re-upload and delete the old character sheet for every level or significant change. Can all be done on the fly now, and in relatively easy-to-read order if you ever need to reference something. I'll probably do some more touch up work as the days go by.

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

A Darker Porpoise posted:

Sorry it just occurred to me I answered your question about starting gold wrong :v: I had thought you were going to roll for gold to buy equipment, if you take the initial package of stuff you just take whatever gold your background gives you, if you roll for gold you have to buy everything but your background equipment from scratch.

Oh, WELL THEN!

I will just go with the default items. Way easier. I will fix immediately.

Monk E
May 19, 2009

Ursa Manuel

Starting gold rolls 1, 2 and 2.

Ursa’s present opinions likely trace back into her youth where she faced two sources of constant anguish. First was the ruinous state which the orphanage she resided lay in, It was obvious even to her young self that there was something wrong with the fact that she and her fellow orphans should live in squalor while the others in Athkatla should wallow in beauty and excess. The second was the basket which she was delivered to this orphanage in, Now while it sounds like an odd thing to feel so deeply about the features of her basket and its contents haunted her youth and filled her with anger later in life, namely it wasn’t the cobbled together bindle one would expect a poverty stricken family to make but a beautifully crafted basket with soft cloth and an ornate music box attached the sort of thing only a person who could support an entire extended family let alone one child could afford. As she grew up the initial sadness and jealousy she felt morphed into complete hatred for both the fact that she and the others had to live in squalor and the fact that Melinda the woman who ran the orphanage and been more of a mother to her than her biological parent seemed to stand alone in combating it. It was because of this that she devoted her life to relieving those she deemed evil of their excesses and using them to assist Melinda who’s starting to become increasingly worried about the fact that all the fancy new stuff Ursa "finds" can be traced to deceased arson victims.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Dr. Doji Suave posted:

Oh, WELL THEN!

I will just go with the default items. Way easier. I will fix immediately.

Sorry! :ohdear:

Orphaned Urchin buddies!

:shepface::hf::sun:

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Okay I got 7 completed submissions, and I really shouldn't but I will take those 7. For now. If people don't post or do anything super stupid like rolling half a dozen times for the same thing to only take the result that finally looks like it succeeds, or something, people might drop.

And as such for those who wanted to make a character but didn't finish before this, feel free to make a character, and you will have first shot should someone drop.

Players
Lars "Longshanks" Borikfikod Human spellless Ranger played by A Darker Porpoise
Darys Stoneback Mountain Dwarf Fighter played by Trast
ZedZeshoon Four Rogue Clone played by Waador
Khidash Lodi Human Cleric of Lathander played by Dr. Doji Suave
Quilian Nailos Wood Elf Ranger played by Lothire
Sereia Arlingfeld Half-Elf Paladin played by P.d0t
Ursa Manuel Genasi Sorcerer played by Monk E

Game Thread

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Testing a new template after being told the old one was busted.

Darys Stoneback
[HP: 13/13] [AC: 17]
Hit Dice: 0/1 (D10)
Movement: 25ft
Full Equipment List and Funds
Backstory

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Need to do some fact-finding before figuring out my plan for the next few levels, so a few questions...

Stealth and communication...
[Warlock 1] - Telepathy (Great Old One) - Are we treating this as one-way telepathy or two-way telepathy?
[Warlock 1] - Telepathy (Great Old One) - Does communicating with a creature via telepathy reveal your position? Or can you successfully be hidden from a creature and still communicate with it via telepathy?

Illusions and stealth...
[General] - Illusions - I would prefer to know how these are going to work before selecting either of Minor Illusion or at-will Silent Image. Intended uses rather obvious.
[Cantrip] - Minor Illusion - Does activating this break stealth? It has only somatic and material components, so I assume not, but want to confirm.
[Invocation] - Silent Image - Do invocations require the same base actions as the spell? The spell is verbal, somatic, and material, but not sure if invocations use the same. If they do, does using this spell break stealth? [This is somewhat less than relevant, as with cunning action it would be simple enough to cast and then immediately re-hide, but I am curious as it might determine the progression order of rogue and warlock.]

Other...
[Sneak Attack] - My understanding is that sneak attack only works with ranged weapons (and finesse weapons). Specifically, it can't be used in combination with eldritch blast, correct?
[Cantrip] - Message - Would you say this can't be heard by anyone other than the recipient? Or would it break stealth if used near an enemy?
[Stealth] - Attack rolls against opponents who are not aware of the hidden creature are made with advantage. Is the same true with skill checks to assault a creature? An example would be an athletics check to grapple it, or a similar 'physical' check that would benefit from them not seeing you coming.

Waador fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 17, 2015

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Waador posted:

Need to do some fact-finding before figuring out my plan for the next few levels, so a few questions...

Stealth and communication...
[Warlock 1] - Telepathy (Great Old One) - Are we treating this as one-way telepathy or two-way telepathy?
One way. Sad I know.

quote:

[Warlock 1] - Telepathy (Great Old One) - Does communicating with a creature via telepathy reveal your position? Or can you successfully be hidden from a creature and still communicate with it via telepathy?
Be hidden all you want to be!

quote:

Illusions and stealth...
[General] - Illusions - I would prefer to know how these are going to work before selecting either of Minor Illusion or at-will Silent Image. Intended uses rather obvious.
[Cantrip] - Minor Illusion - Does activating this break stealth? It has only somatic and material components, so I assume not, but want to confirm.
No stealth break you broken monster you.

quote:

[Invocation] - Silent Image - Do invocations require the same base actions as the spell? The spell is verbal, somatic, and material, but not sure if invocations use the same. If they do, does using this spell break stealth? [This is somewhat less than relevant, as with cunning action it would be simple enough to cast and then immediately re-hide, but I am curious as it might determine the progression order of rogue and warlock.]
I believe they do, and thus the verbal component would likely break stealth. But yeah Rogue Cunning Action will let you hide again.

quote:

Other...
[Sneak Attack] - My understanding is that sneak attack only works with ranged weapons (and finesse weapons). Specifically, it can't be used in combination with eldritch blast, correct?
Sadly it cannot work with Eldritch Blast or other spells. Which is unfortunate, especially for the spell based Rogue archetype. I think I remember seeing it requires the attack to be, if not Dex based then at least possibly, Dex based. Like a short sword would work, even if you actually use Strength to attack because it is possible to use Dex for it.

quote:

[Cantrip] - Message - Would you say this can't be heard by anyone other than the recipient? Or would it break stealth if used near an enemy?
It has a verbal component, even if that component is only whispering, so it may draw attention. That said, you could possibly roll stealth as you do it to try and whisper it quietly enough for a nearby enemy to maybe not hear it?

quote:

[Stealth] - Attack rolls against opponents who are not aware of the hidden creature are made with advantage. Is the same true with skill checks to assault a creature? An example would be an athletics check to grapple it, or a similar 'physical' check that would benefit from them not seeing you coming.
Yeah sure, if it makes sense like that grapple from hidden/behind surprise thing.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
On the subject of trap detection - what mechanics are in play here?

I don't mind having a room dropped on me if there are explicit mechanics that enabled it, but I also didn't burn two expertise slots and a feat on trap-detecting abilities so that the party (and I) would get hit by traps.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
That wasn't a trap that you triggered. Had you come across a trap with a DC of 20 or less I would have let you know.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug

Ryuujin posted:

That wasn't a trap that you triggered. Had you come across a trap with a DC of 20 or less I would have let you know.

Interesting. I suppose I'll investigate the room later to figure out what happened.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

So important question for Dr. Doji Suave, how would Khidash feel if Lars was a zombie that was clearly a sapient individual person in the group? If he'd be like "die foul abomination!" immediately okay that's out the window, but if not Four would get the dance partner he sorely needs :v:.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

How would that even work? You'd never be allowed into towns and I'm pretty sure a cleric of Lathander would be obligated to end your misery.

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

His body would be returned to the soil through force of arms and consecrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Trast posted:

How would that even work? You'd never be allowed into towns and I'm pretty sure a cleric of Lathander would be obligated to end your misery.

Pull out the insides and stuff'em full of flowers after making himself into people jerky :v:, no one would know the difference! Really there are more bizarre things that are adventurers in the world than a person wrapped up in bandages.

Dr. Doji Suave posted:

His body would be returned to the soil through force of arms and consecrated.

Boo old man Khidash :v: get with the times, being a zombie is cool now, youth power!!! Ah well if he'd just straight up attempt to murder Lars then I won't do it.

• Locked thread