Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Yeah this is going to go over well...

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-32194915

quote:

A Turkish court has ordered blocks on Twitter and YouTube for sharing photos of a hostage taken during an armed siege last week.

The blocks have been imposed because images of a deadly siege were being shared via the social networks.

In the siege two gunmen reportedly from a far-left group took a prosecutor hostage at Istanbul central courthouse.

All three died in a shootout when police stormed the building during a rescue bid.

Before imposing the blocks on the websites, Turkish authorities had moved to stop newspapers printing images taken during the siege last week.

The newspapers were accused by the government of disseminating "terrorist propaganda" for the DHKP-C group that was reportedly behind the attack on the courthouse.

The DHKP-C is considered a terrorist group by Turkey, the European Union and US.

The prosecutor at the centre of the siege, Mehmet Selim Kiraz, was apparently taken hostage because he headed an investigation into the death of a boy during anti-government protests that took place in 2013.

The same pictures showing attackers holding a gun to Mr Kiraz's head were also being widely shared on social media, leading authorities to act, reported Turkish newspaper Hurriyet.

In total, 166 websites which shared the images were blocked by the court order.

YouTube published the text of the court ruling on its website saying an "administration measure" had been enacted by Turkey's telecoms authority.

Facebook was also subject to the same block but it is believed the restrictions on it have been lifted after it removed the images.

Many Turkish people reported via social media that they were having problems accessing the sites and many others.

This is not the first time that Turkish authorities have imposed blocks on social media sites and networks.

In the run-up to local elections in March 2014 blocks were imposed after recordings circulated allegedly revealing corruption among senior officials.

Figures provided by Twitter revealed that Turkey filed more requests to remove content from the social network than any other nation between July and December 2014.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
turkey should worry about keeping the power on first, they are basically third world shithole run by religious idiot despite being founded as a secular state TURKEY YOU HAVE LOST YOUR WAY

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
haha bbc.com

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Shadoer posted:

Facebook was also subject to the same block but it is believed the restrictions on it have been lifted after it removed the images.

lol

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Don't care.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Nonviolent J posted:

haha bbc.com

Bigblackcocks.com

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
Yeah, we're TOTALLY part of Europe.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

BigBoss posted:

Yeah, we're TOTALLY part of Europe.

The sad thing is Turkey really should have been.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy
Mustafa Kemal Atatürk sucks.

That should get SA banned in Turkey as well.

[e] Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, berbat

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Shadoer posted:

The sad thing is Turkey really should have been.

Yeah, if the crusades had been successful and killed all the Mohammedans.

Dead Gay Romans
Mar 19, 2015

Pitbull enthusiast
I wish the Eastern Roman Empire was still around. Sure, they aren't quite as dead and gay as the West, but I think Greece and Turkey would be way better off today.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i have opinions about the president of turkey

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
I briefly forgot there was a country named turkey so this thread sounded way more interesting than it turned out to be

Dead Gay Romans
Mar 19, 2015

Pitbull enthusiast
He was kind of a dick on his last state visit too, wouldn't even look at Obama straight or shake his hand

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
not the first time.

btw. armenian genocide.

atatürk lol.

Dead Gay Romans
Mar 19, 2015

Pitbull enthusiast
To be fair, no one was really using those Armenians at the time.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Dead Gay Romans posted:

I wish the Eastern Roman Empire was still around. Sure, they aren't quite as dead and gay as the West, but I think Greece and Turkey would be way better off today.

Yeah its a real shame the Ottomans lost WWI, thus ending the Roman Empire once and for all.

Dead Gay Romans
Mar 19, 2015

Pitbull enthusiast
it lives on...in spirit :italy:

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
a good start, imho

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

a good start, imho

They just need to ban Tumblr now.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

seems fine as long as htey don't ban twitch.tv

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 252 days!)

Applewhite posted:

They just need to ban Tumblr now.

Everycountry needs to block tumblr.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rambling Robot posted:

not the first time.

btw. armenian genocide.

atatürk lol.

You know what they say, one "aw poo poo" undoes ten "ataturks".

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
that hostage taking was a blast from the past cause man when was the last time a marxist group pulled some poo poo like that

Aug 4, 2010

let turkey into the eu and let the muslims overtake the eu

allahu akbar

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Shadoer posted:

Yeah this is going to go over well...

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-32194915

You're a doughy middle aged man who writes star trek rape fanfic.

Dead Gay Romans
Mar 19, 2015

Pitbull enthusiast
Is turkey the one we're helping the Saudis bomb now or the one with Assad? I can't keep this poo poo straight anymore but I have hopes that Ted Cruz will be able to fix this mess Obama started.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
good

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Next time they kidnap and murder officials they should just print out posters and glue them to walls.

Then the government will ban all walls making sure that all government buildings collapse allowing for a easy revolution.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
when you start trying to block internet poo poo like that, the whole world knows your government is beginning a slow death spiral imo

it's stupid, it is unenforceable and ineffective, and it demonstrates weakness.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

what a bunch of turkeys

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
http://youtu.be/vUg0gGLowCg

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

a good start, imho

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

West SAAB Story posted:

Everycountry needs to block tumblr.

ANGRYGREEK
May 3, 2007

If you meet the Storm Spirit on the lane, gank him.
The whole turkish government increasingly reminds me of a Scooby Doo villain.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
Hmm allow religious zealots from a banned party linked to terrorists

Sure thing

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
If only there was a way to block turkeys from posting on tumblr

Myriarch
May 14, 2013
Atajerk

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
now if only america would too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Oh no! Turkey doesn't have youtube or twitter. How horrible I guess. I hope Albania still has eBay!

• Locked thread