Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Under the vegetable posted:

i don't know. there are a lot of dumb people posting things but i don't know if you can say it's an anti-feminist circle jerk. .

I can and do stay that, as it is accurate. Oh look Ron Mexico is here in this nuanced discussion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

much like rolling stone, Matt Taibbi still sucks

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Tezzor posted:

I can and do stay that, as it is accurate. Oh look Ron Mexico is here in this nuanced discussion

hellthread is but this is a different thread

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2015-04-06/rolling-stone-can-t-even-apologize-right

Good article

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

That bitch ugly

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

a good write up

Baxter
Sep 13, 2000

agreed

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 279 days!)

Mentat Radnor posted:

I would like to renew my subscription to PC Accelerator, is this the correct thread for that?

I kind of miss AmigActive. Yes, there was still an Amiga based magazine in the early 2000s. I paid for it to be imported just for the fact that it existed. It was kind of pathetic- the best downlods off of SimTel for that month (usually bugfixes to 20 year old software or some poo poo), and the biggest news ever was that AWeb (or was it that other browser) went Open Source.

Still it was a lot better and useful in real life than Tezzor.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Maybe they'll end up with one of those "creative" judges who will sentence Rolling Stones staff, and the accuser to rape by the frat. Then everyone wins. The frat gets to rape, the accuser gets attention, rolling Stone gets an article, and D&D gets to crow about being right all along.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

From a link in the comments section....

https://riversong.wordpress.com/journalistic-fabulism-and-ideological-agendas/

Apparently Erdely has prior form and was even on the wrong end of a bollocking by none other than Stephen Glass!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
whatever i think every savvy person in 2015 knows news media isn't to be trusted anyway

they're just talking heads telling lies on teleprompters 95% of the time

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
The review Columbia did was a good read as well.

also I was in a frat ama

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

FISTS CURE WOMEN posted:

also I was in a frat ama

Got any rohypnol? Asking for a friend.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I barely know what's going on about I'm happy anytime the twats in D&D get called out on their bullshit

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

LethalGeek posted:

I barely know what's going on about I'm happy anytime the twats in D&D get called out on their bullshit

pure gbs

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Kilmers Elbow posted:

true story i got roofied(sp?) once

i stole a car i guess while i was blacked out

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Kilmers Elbow posted:

thats for poser beta frats. true alpha bro fats like the one i was in could have sex with any chick they wanted from our oozing masculinity :smugdog:

Fuckabees
Aug 8, 2012

"White Liiiiiiines, blow through my miiiind"

--The Fat Boys
I was at a market recently that sold print magazines. I saw RS, picked it up and it was roughly the size and paper quality of a universal remote manual.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Tezzor posted:

pure gbs

gently caress you Tezzor

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

some frats are better than others. its weird, sigma nu are always cool guys and pikes are always cunts

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

i dont have plat tezzor is a d&d poster? lol

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
An NYU journalism professor wrote his thoughts on the Columbia report

http://pressthink.org/2015/04/rolling-stones-a-rape-on-campus-notes-and-comment-on-columbia-j-schools-investigation/

He's really mad at RS

quote:

"Erdely’s reporting led her to other, adjudicated cases of rape at the university that could have illustrated her narrative, although none was as shocking and dramatic as Jackie’s."

Indeed. None was.
:drat:

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

memy posted:

An NYU journalism professor wrote his thoughts on the Columbia report

http://pressthink.org/2015/04/rolling-stones-a-rape-on-campus-notes-and-comment-on-columbia-j-schools-investigation/

He's really mad at RS

:drat:

thats a oscar wilde level burn right there

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Tezzor posted:

what if they're just dunking on Rolling Stone rather than being "Yipeeeee a rape accusation may have been proven false in public! The Patriarchy wins again!"

like the latter is real bad but the former, well given the report and their response i dunno

Twat Nosferatu
Aug 14, 2008

LethalGeek posted:

Equally happy when RS gets called on their Bullshit.

Twat Nosferatu fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 7, 2015

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
wasnt there also some recent rape accusations that were proven false or some black guy who was actually really guilty and D&Ds were all white knighting the poo poo out of it trying to one up each other as whose more communist, how awful it is, and running out anyone who didnt believe it 100%; then when it was proven the opposite the narrative changed and they stammered around "well-well IT DOESNT MATTER THAT ITS NOT REAL! IT HAPPENS ANYWAYS THIS IS A VERY SERIOUS MATTER"

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fabricated posted:

what if they're just dunking on Rolling Stone rather than being "Yipeeeee a rape accusation may have been proven false in public! The Patriarchy wins again!"

like the latter is real bad but the former, well given the report and their response i dunno

If anything this is a win for feminism

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Volume posted:

If anything this is a win for feminism

Because the lying piece of poo poo reporter didn't lose her job?

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

fyodor posted:

i dont have plat tezzor is a d&d poster? lol

no its much worse, he has 25 pages of posts in hellthread

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

FISTS CURE WOMEN posted:

also I was in a frat ama

how many dicks did you suck

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
Neil Strauss is a writer for Rolling Stone and he's said in interviews that the pay is terrible.

Maybe this has something to do with the poo poo reporting/their unwillingness to fire anyone.

InsanityLater
Jan 14, 2008

This is pretty much what conservatives have been accusing liberal journalism of doing for years - identify an institution to take down (usually a white male or southern institution), develop a narrative you want to tell about oppression, and then make a poster child out of someone with scant evidence but lots and lots of emotional trauma to talk about.

We give opportunities for fact-checking and input from the accused for bloody war crimes. How did the basic liberal maxim for this one specific injustice become that we should drop all of the pretense of process or critical thinking?

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Fabricated posted:

its both

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

InsanityLater posted:

We give opportunities for fact-checking and input from the accused for bloody war crimes. How did the basic liberal maxim for this one specific injustice become that we should drop all of the pretense of process or critical thinking?

Just off the cuff total guess: there never seems to be much remorse or apology from the people perpetuating sexual assault so it gets increased heat from the people fighting it.

For example, leaving a statue up of someone who helped rape kids because 'hey lol don't tarnish his football career' and the mass outcry of people in support of the dude makes me give less of a poo poo about Rolling Stone potentially smearing fraternities with libel. gently caress
'em, even if that RS story is 100% made up there probably were gang rapes going on at that school that just never got reported.

Axeface
Feb 28, 2009

He Who Walks
Behind The Aisles
which poll option do i choose to be against both rape and bad journalism

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think that's the option where you just mutter gently caress this gay earth under your breath while shaking your head because it's just rape and bad journalism all the way down.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
a rape accusation being proven false is a universally good thing because it motivates journalists and institutions to actually investigate claims. investigating claims is a universally good thing because it means more criminals get caught.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Axeface posted:

which poll option do i choose to be against both rape and bad journalism

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

InsanityLater posted:

This is pretty much what conservatives have been accusing liberal journalism of doing for years - identify an institution to take down (usually a white male or southern institution), develop a narrative you want to tell about oppression, and then make a poster child out of someone with scant evidence but lots and lots of emotional trauma to talk about.

liberals lose their minds over the crime of rape for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

InsanityLater posted:

remember when the rolling stone killed the career of our only competent general in Afghanistan because he claimed to have quoted his aides saying President was making terrible decisions, off the record?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_A._McChrystal#Rolling_Stone_article_and_resignation

• Locked thread