Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
idk it seemed legit, not outlandish or weird or outrageous in terms of my level of surprise, and a lot of other people did too and that I think is telling. I read that article and I'm pretty sure that even if they made it up that exact story has happened to many people and a lot of colleges don't really give a poo poo which is ridiculous when you think about how much tuition money you have to pay them.

I feel like college is the one service that when you pay tens of thousands of dollars you still get treated like poo poo and considering the current economic climate I feel like they should be a little more user friendly in terms of the student experience but that's a different thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Raider posted:

rapes have and will always be a problem until the end of humanity, but stuff like this article smacks of the devil worshiping hysteria of the 80s and 90s. its like a moral panic

yeah but if you believed in the satanic panic you were an idiot whereas if you believe a lot of rape happens at colleges then that's normal

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Monstrous Dooklord posted:

I've seen 4-5 of these types of horrific stories where homo was bleached into someones hair or they were gang raped while being called a whore turned out to be fake and all of GBS had to swallow their pride and quietly hope people would stop bumping the 50+ page out-outrage-eachother thread

If you're gonna carve HOMO into your face don't use a mirror.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
gbs is exaggerating

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
whatever i think every savvy person in 2015 knows news media isn't to be trusted anyway

they're just talking heads telling lies on teleprompters 95% of the time

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

InsanityLater posted:

We give opportunities for fact-checking and input from the accused for bloody war crimes. How did the basic liberal maxim for this one specific injustice become that we should drop all of the pretense of process or critical thinking?

Just off the cuff total guess: there never seems to be much remorse or apology from the people perpetuating sexual assault so it gets increased heat from the people fighting it.

For example, leaving a statue up of someone who helped rape kids because 'hey lol don't tarnish his football career' and the mass outcry of people in support of the dude makes me give less of a poo poo about Rolling Stone potentially smearing fraternities with libel. gently caress
'em, even if that RS story is 100% made up there probably were gang rapes going on at that school that just never got reported.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think that's the option where you just mutter gently caress this gay earth under your breath while shaking your head because it's just rape and bad journalism all the way down.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You know it is kind of interesting though that when a news outlet publishes a blatant lie about other topics nobody seems to really care all that much or demand stringent fact checking.

'I'm against rape and for integrity in journalism :qq:' just kind of makes it sound like a 'I'm not racist but...' rhetorical device.

Tucker Carlson, Aug. 9, 2014 posted:

Far more children died last year drowning in their bathtubs than were killed accidentally by guns.

Lou Dobbs, July 1, 2014 posted:

The Obama administration "manipulated deportation data to make it appear that the Border Patrol was deporting more illegal immigrants than the Bush administration.

Michele Bachmann, Nov. 3, 2010 posted:

The president of the United States will be taking a trip over to India that is expected to cost the taxpayers $200 million a day.

Paul Gigot, Oct. 3, 2009 posted:

Democrats want to require you to buy health insurance or pay a penalty. But they don't want you to call it a tax. Under the Baucus bill, the so-called individual mandate would require everyone to buy health insurance or pay as much as a $1,900 fee. If you don't pay up, the IRS could punish you with a $25,000 fine or a year in jail.

Bill O'Reilly, Oct. 27, 2010 posted:

We researched to find out if anybody on Fox News had ever said you're going to jail if you don't buy health insurance. Nobody's ever said it.

So why suddenly outrage over this Rolling Stone rape article? Because it is besmirching the good name of Phi Kappa Psi and the University? Because Rolling Stone is a bastion of ethical hard hitting journalism? Because rape isn't really that big of a deal and SJWs are blowing this whole rape culture thing out of proportion? I mean yeah they should be called on their bullshit but it's not like it's a national news story every time Fox News or CNN or whoever blatantly lie.

I get that the justice system needs to keep a cool head and not turn a problem into an even bigger one by instituting witch hunts but I feel like the sudden righteous indignation over a false news story like it's 1950 or something is a little strange.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

cause everyone you listed isn't taken seriously by anyone not in their cult. investigative reporting should have a higher standard than bill o'reilly jerking off on air

Granted, and I thought about that when I was posting, but I also don't really feel like doing a bunch of investigating right now to prove a point on GBS and those people lie with such frequency that it's easy to find stuff like that.

I still think major news sources in the USA aren't to be trusted at their word because none of them really give a poo poo about journalism or integrity or anything like that. I doubt that given an hour or two of effort I wouldn't be able to dig up anything from blatant lies to minor exaggerations to clever framing of an issue across all major news sources and all political spectrums.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 7, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tsinava posted:

Like every single injustice against a man or woman by a force that could be construed as "patriachy" or "feminism" is blown way out of proportion all while the true force of oppression, capital, makes them all rip each other apart as it hides behind a thick veil of ignorance.

Yeah that's all I'm trying to say really. It just seems weird like why now suddenly about this article are people demanding strict ethics and fact checking from their journalism.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ashgromnies posted:

i mean, they called out a dude by name and basically accused him of being a rapist without looking into any of the details. kinda messed up.

They didn't, and if you read the followup story on RS about the article they say 'Jackie' refused to name the person who organized the attack. And they did look into details, they basically just got conned and let their sympathies blind them to what was going on. It's not some insidious plot to railroad UVA.

I read the article a couple months ago, (so I might not be remembering it well enough) and they mention Phi Kappa Psi but I was under the impression that all the names were changed, except for maybe the names of administrators in the University because you can't exactly say "The head of such and such department" and not name them.

I knew people in Phi Psi and the chapter in UCR is laid back (since there's basically no Greek life in UCR) but I heard tales of some poo poo going on. Nothing as bad as gang rapes but let's just say I don't feel sympathy for them getting hit with a false rape accusation in some of their more out of control chapters.

Look I want to be clear, gently caress RS that's not cool and they hosed up big time but at the same time people are definitely using this to push an anti-feminist agenda and it's pretty obvious through the thinly veiled outrage about journalistic ethics.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Volume posted:

I kind of just assumed that strict ethics and fact checking already happened

oh my sweet summer child

• Locked thread