Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The entirety of Ar Tonelico is based around making as many sex/relationship jokes as possible, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

So is Delta some kind of Manchurian agent? (Seriously, why wasn't he locked up after dropping trou the barrier? That seems like a dangerously suspicious thing he did. Did Nay intervene?)

Oh, hello Cass. I knew you’d show up eventually.

Uh-oh. Trap?

Probably because I knew you’d be coming.

Seems kinda trap-ish. Has she switched sides? Or maybe she's been brainwashed into being a Manchurian agent too? Oh! Sarly is wearing reasonable clothing! She must be evil! After all, the Sharl did attack the humans to capture their supply of pants.

I will say the game itself understands that's a good question and that very thing will be discussed soon. It'll also make some other stuff make more sense, too.

Given she wouldn't tell us why she was there, we're equally unlikely to find out why Sarly expected to be rescued by maybe the least likely person to arrive, the one guy that in theory PLASMA wouldn't send on such a rescue mission.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Einander posted:

Yeah, it would've been cool to have some with a different center character, but there's the old "it's to craft song magic" excuse. You learn new frontliner attacks as you go, so having Delta with his own Genometrics would've been a cool alternate way to acquire those.

If you look at it from an angle, not being able to view Delta's Genometrics makes a certain amount of sense. We're viewing what is one giant analogy for Cass' relationship with a given character, and we're sorta going into theirs with Cass' Genometrics.

Not to mention it'd be highly awkward to figure out exactly how your partner views you.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Zill certainly is... something. Not at my PC right now so I'm not able to post the character sheet but yeah, she stole all the pants (no, that's not a skirt), but evidently at the cost of her shirt :shepface:

Feinne posted:

Why can’t you let me be happy?
This is quite possibly one of the best voice-acted lines in the entire game :allears:

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

The crack about a cafeteria from Cass is nearly as good too.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The way Delta's thin eyes make it look like he has no eyes at all in any even slightly zoomed-out image of him (like the dialog portrait you're using) is constantly distracting me. It just ain't right.

Porush
Dec 26, 2012

Icedude posted:

This is quite possibly one of the best voice-acted lines in the entire game :allears:

Because of your comment, I decided to watch the part of the video where he said this. It was a great line well delivered, just as advertised.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Feinne I tried sending you game rips and it said your PM inbox was full.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Just noticed the writing on this door effectively says "5049", between actual characters for numbers and characters that happen to be pronounced like numbers.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Polsy posted:

Just noticed the writing on this door effectively says "5049", between actual characters for numbers and characters that happen to be pronounced like numbers.

:ughh:
What kind of idiot would leave the password on a post-it next to engraved on the door in plaintext? (answer: roughly half of humanity, but it's never not cringe-inducing).

We can now dive into evil (make that temporary antagonist) bishop, out of nowhere? No way that is a good thing short-term. On the other hand, future party member spotted.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Apr 11, 2015

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Omobono posted:

What kind of idiot would leave the password on a post-it next to engraved on the door in plaintext? (answer: roughly half of humanity, but it's never not cringe-inducing).

We can now dive into evil (make that temporary antagonist) bishop, out of nowhere? No way that is a good thing short-term. On the other hand, future party member spotted.

It's not plaintext, it's an incredibly simply code.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Omobono posted:

:tinfoil: Maybe someone who always wanted Sarly to be rescued, and taken back to the heart of the enemy stronghold, free to live a brainwashing-induced life of destruction and betrayal.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Feinne I tried sending you game rips and it said your PM inbox was full.

Yeah, just noticed, deleted a few, should be good now.

Hoping to have an update later today with some shop stuff.

EDIT: OH GOD I AM SO FAR BEHIND. Still hoping on an update today but might have to delay until tomorrow.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 11, 2015

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Omobono posted:

Even in fantasy JRPG land, people do the really dumb real life poo poo like leave secret passwords right out in the open for anyone and their kitchen sink to read.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Hmm? I’m a bit busy right now, story time is later. What’s that? You want to hear about that stuff I sort of mumbled over and moved on with the actual story? Alright, fine, I can take a break.

Feinne’s Notes:
So, shop scenes trigger every time we leave the shop menu if there are in fact scenes extant. You should always exhaust your shop scenes, because we need to see them all in order to get the best ending.

They dropped in on Nay, who had the restaurant full.

Oh, it’s just you guys. What’s up?
We were in the neighborhood so we decided to stop by.
But it looks like business is pretty good.
Heh heh heh… Of course!
Well, you’re in the shop of none other than, “Nay the Gale”. You should expect it to be popular.
Hmm, I think I’m beginning to understand why…

Delta, is something the matter?
I just feel… happy.
Happy? About what?
I haven’t seen this many people in my store since the day it opened.
Oh yeah, it was like this during the grand opening, wasn’t it?
H-hey now, it’s my store now, remember? Don’t compare it to yours…
Grrr… drat.
And, don’t think I’m gonna stop here, either.
Oh yeah, that reminds me… Do you have the key to the back door?
Of course I do… Why do you ask?
Look how crowded this place is… On weekends, we have a line snaking around the corner.
If that happens, it’ll be a pain trying to get through the front door. The back door might be easier.

She was getting a bit too excited about it.

Grrrrrrrraah! I can’t take this anymore! Give me back my store!
H-Hey, calm down, Delta!
Nay, please try not to provoke Delta... I think he’s in shock.
You don’t have to tell me twice… I’ll be too busy to talk to Delta soon, anyway.
Now that that’s out of the way, if you’re not buying anything, you can find the door right over there.
I never thought I’d be chased out of my own store…

I mean people aren’t going to keep coming in just to see you unless the food’s also edible.

Hm? Oh, hello there.
If you’re here to eat, go ahead and find an empty seat. I suppose I owe you that much.
Huh? Are you sure?
Of course… We go way back, don’t we?
Then again, I’ll be taking what’s owed to me.
Taking my store wasn’t enough for you? You have to take my money, too!?
That’s that, this is this…
Besides, you aren’t going to find flavors like these anywhere else, you know? I did a LOT of research.
There’s no way I could serve it and not charge you!
You don’t think I could find flavors like this, eh?
Heh, well, I guess you haven’t seen me cook yet, have you?
Uhh, I think that would be a slaughter. Save yourself the embarrassment.
What’re you talking about!? When I put my mind to it, I can cook up something that anyone would love.
For example…?
Hmm, let’s see… A fruit salad?
…What?
Hmm, that does sound pretty good right now…
Are you serious?
Heh heh, after all, I have been doing this cook thing for longer than you, Nay.
Don’t underestimate me.

Cass at least seemed to know, well, anything.

Even a child can make it, as long as they have fruit.
WHAT!?
Hey, wait a second. She’s right! That’s blasphemy. The outcast child of what is considered culinary arts…
Um, I’m trying to say, that’s not really cooking…
Th-Then, how about my Super Fried Rice!?
You just sprinkled some salt on a bowl of rice. It doesn’t count…
Ahahaha, are you serious? You could’ve at least used some, oh, I don’t know… Spices!?
Sh-Shut it! Don’t you dare underestimate this baby.
If you didn’t fry it, how could you call it fried ANYTHING?
Yes, I’m gonna agree with Nay on this one.
And if all you’re using is rice and salt, wouldn’t you be better off making it into a rice ball!?
A rice ball?
What’s that!? It sounds pretty good…
Cass, you must actually be pretty good, huh? To come up with a dish, using only salt and rice.
Heh, I wasn’t expecting this to be a three-way…
Wow, I don’t even know where to start… Are you complimenting me?
B-But, don’t think I’ll just roll over and let you have this one!

Really doesn’t inspire confidence in your food when you don’t know what a rice ball is.

Um, did you just confess?
WHA-!?
…Ahem, in order to keep the restaurant afloat until Delta’s return, I’ve come up with some new dishes!
Yeah, a little too late for damage control.
Argh! Stop being such a little girl about this.
A wannabe cook like yourself should be learning from my recipes!
System Message: Obtained the recipe for [Refreshing the Bistro]!
Whoa, these dishes actually look pretty good… Is this one a dessert?
Obviously, there are desserts. It’s filled with dishes that would be well suited for a so-called bistro.
Now, I wonder how much of a beating your pride can take, Delta… This menu will show you no mercy.
Um, but I also see a few recipes that look pretty… Dangerous.
So, I’m hoping you two could help me make some of the items on this list. The first is always the hardest.
I don’t mind helping you make it… But just don’t ask us to taste it.

Feinne’s Notes:
So, you can’t actually synthesize all the items that are theoretically available to you in this first wave of recipes, because there is an ingredient that you have to go to Quanturv for. It’s still worth it, because we’ll be able to improve Delta’s weapon and Cass’s song magic a bit before heading out.

That said, they made at least one edible thing.

Oh wow, fruit punch! I really like this!
I like fruit too, but I think it’s better to eat it by itself.
Why would you think that? Anyway, try it.
A-alright… Here I go…
…Woah!?
Is it good?
Yeah, this is really good! The fruit is tasty on its own, but the juice really goes well with it.
That’s no surprise. I used Ponta.
Wait… By Ponta, do you mean that carbonated drink they sell at stores?
That has fruit flavor, right? That’s why I thought it would be even better to drink it with fruit.
That was good thinking. It’s tasty and fancy, so I think this would be a great dessert.
Yeah, I’d want to eat something like this every day. This fruit punch…
Actually, since it uses Ponta, it would be better to call it Fruit Ponta.
That’s a good name! Maybe I should add it to the menu…

Which, for some reason, included something you plug into a weapon to make it stronger.

Delta, what’s with that look?
…It would be great if you could just guess.
You don’t like something about the cathode I gave you?
I don’t dislike it. Actually, I think it’s pretty amazing in a way.
It’s just…
…This is cream soda, isn’t it?
Yeah, that’s the problem! It’s used to enhance weapons, so you should care about the appearance.
The thing is, this actually uses cream soda, so I can’t really do anything about the look.
Still…
Wait, what!? This is seriously cream soda!?
Yup. If you put a straw in there, you can drink it.
Although, if you drink it, it won’t work right anymore.
So this cathode actually works to enhance your weapon, right?
Yeah, I don’t have any complaints about its performance at all.

I mean I’ve seen people use weapons made out of food before, but I still don’t get the thought that went into that decision.

Nope. I was totally serious. It’s the real deal.
But even I don’t really understand why cream soda has an effect like that.
You don’t understand… Then how did you manage to make something like this?
I was just trying to get a laugh.
Cream soda and a cathode. In other words, this is Cream Cathoda!!
I was just wondering about the reaction I’d get if I said something like that.
That’s the reason you made it?
Well, regardless of the reasons, it’s a working cathode, so there’s nothing to complain about, right?
Guh…
Is this okay, Delta? If you have a complaint, tell me now.
…W-well, it’s true that it’s effective, so I’m glad to have it.
But I’d prefer it if you stopped making things for reasons like that from now on.
Yeah yeah, I’ll think about it.
…She’s totally going to do it again.
Yeah… Argh, I still can’t accept that this is cream soda.

Feinne’s Notes:
Cathodes are weapons for the front line. They go into equipment slots that correspond to the four attack buttons, and improve that sort of attack with their listed effects.

When they next returned to the restaurant, things weren’t quite so good.

Heh, maybe people are finally catching on that your cooking is uhh… Not that great, Nay.
Hey! Don’t spread lies in my store. I’ll call security to have you removed!
Whoa, taking my store wasn’t enough? You have to kick me out, too?
But really, what’s going on? It’s night and day from last time.
Yes, that’s exactly the problem! I’m losing all my customers all of a sudden…!
I noticed fewer and fewer patrons from a little while ago, but this, this is a surprise.
…Perhaps the problem is with your cooking after all?
Yeah. Check out that customer over there.
They don’t even know what they’re looking at on the plate and they’re on the verge of tears.
Wha-!? That’s Nay’s special pudding.
Yes, well… In an attempt to really showcase its softness, I made this one jiggle.
That’s disgusting! Food should definitely not move!
It shows how happy the pudding is.
Hmm, now that you mention it, you might have a point…
Delta, please, think. How can you be okay with this!?
Wait-! This is wrong… Pudding isn’t alive.
Well, you know how artisans say “bread dough is alive”? Why can’t the same be said about pudding?!
I don’t think they mean biologically…
Um, maybe it’s because of that weird crap that you’re losing all your customers?

Moving pudding… reminds me, note to self, get in touch with Skycat, interesting product proposal.

E-Even today… I just added a rainbow miso soup to the menu. It glows in seven colors. Perfect for the kids.
S-Seven colors…!? That must be horrible for the body.
Don’t be ridiculous. I haven’t used ANY additives.
Besides, my target customer for this work of art isn’t you, anyway. It’s children.
I suppose additives wouldn’t necessarily make it glow seven colors…

Heh. Methods and outcome aside, at least you’re thinking of the customers when making new items.
Uhh, duh?
I have people traveling from far away to have some of my cooking. How could I NOT think of them?
I see…
When I was running the store, that’s all I could think about, too.
At least we can agree on SOMETHING.
Wha-!? How could you even suggest that!? You called salt and rice “fried rice”.
Why you-!
Don’t try to argue this one, Delta.
So, how do you plan on resolving this situation? At this rate, we’ll have another Cook de Delta on our hands.
I-I know that…! I’m thinking of solutions here, people.
I’m speaking from experience… This isn’t something that “thinking” will solve.
Better than not thinking. Next time you come, all these seats are gonna be filled. Just you wait.
…I somehow doubt that…

Cass, as it turned out, was correct.

Not a single customer… This feels just like home, when I was running it.
No, wrong! Absolutely wrong!
I had some customers until you guys decided to show up.
You sure about that?
Look at that table. See? Those plates are from the last party that was here.
Wow, and you’ve got five settings, too!
Um, shouldn’t you take care of that? It might leave a bad impression for the other customers…
The other customers I don’t have?
Maybe not now, but they could walk in any second, right?
That’s easy for you to say… But I’m running this place all on my own.
So I’m spread pretty thin, if you hadn’t noticed.
What exactly do you have to do? With all of zero customers?
I’ll keep an eye on things over here, so why don’t you go wash those plates?
You must mean, while YOU go wash the plates…
Sure. You gonna pay me?
You big meanie.

It’s surprising she didn’t just abuse her authority as Divine Empress to ensure her success.

You know you can always hire someone, right?
Ugh, I told you. I don’t have that kind of money. And I was doing so well in the beginning…
I wonder what caused the sudden drop in patronage?
I think it’s hard to deny that the menu played a big role in your failure.
But I put my heart and soul into it… How could this happen?
I don’t think heart and soul alone can make something taste better.
Then maybe seasoning…? Or perhaps some shady looking medicine. I need to get their attention.
…Maybe you should try a different approach. Instead of trying to “get attention”.
What’s that supposed to mean?
What I mean is, find another way to get customers to walk through your door.
You know, like all items half off! Or, get a free dessert when you order an entrée or something.
Heh, didn’t you try that? And end up with… Oh right, no customers?
Hey, we don’t talk about that!
Anyway, my point is… You can’t change the flavor of your restaurant overnight, so try something different.
Hmm, that might actually be a good idea.
Half-off and free desserts would eat into my profits… But I suppose a new approach is worth a shot.
Eat into…? Your non-existent profits? Funny.

Anyway, she tried to execute Delta’s, um, great idea.

…Why do I have a really bad feeling about this?
Hey, perfect timing! I just finished a new recipe.
Yeah, I don’t think we need any dog food right now.
I hope you’re not calling my recipe dog food…? When, exactly, have I made such a horrible dish?
Almost every day, I think…
And this store is living proof.
W-Well, aren’t you guys on a roll today…
It doesn’t matter… Because this time, I think I’ve stepped up my game quite a bit.
Why don’t you save judgment for when you’ve seen the recipe?
System Message: Obtained the recipe for [Cooling Down on a Hot Day]!
Hmm, looks like a cold dish of some kind.
Heh heh heh… You remember what you told me, last time you came in?
About trying to find other ways to get customers through the door.
But, you said you wouldn’t reduce prices, right…?
Of course, that’s out of the question.
So, this is my new approach. I’m making seasonal and limited dishes that will bring in the customers.
I’m calling it, “Cooling Down on a Hot Day”.

At least they were pretty quickly moving into considering exciting alternative uses for the sort of culinary disasters they were experiencing.

I guess we’ll just have to find out, won’t we?
That said, I’m pretty sure they will have effects OTHER than filling up your stomach. Stay tuned.
I’m not keeping my hopes up.
Oh, and don’t even think about opening your own restaurant with those dishes… You hear?
Haha, as if. Besides, I think everyone here knows I’m a much better chef than you are.
…Yeah, I wonder about that…

Though I’m not sure when they move into actual aggressive cooking, still organizing notes on these.

The Irritating Ice is finished!
You already named it? And isn’t this just regular shaved ice?
Heh heh heh, you’re such an amateur. You really think this is normal shaved ice?
Here, try holding the container.
Huh… Woah!? This is absurdly cold!
This shaved ice is so cold that it causes irritation for the person eating it. Therefore, Irritating Ice.
Is that really okay to eat?
It’s fine. The human body is actually surprisingly tough.
That doesn’t sound good at all.
No, it sounds interesting. I’d like to have a taste.
Alright, go for it!
Aaah, you’re taking so much…! Don’t complain to me if you get sick.

What? No, no I’m not monetizing both their story and ideas, don’t be silly. And certainly don’t repeat that in front of anyone.

I-I’m just trying to show some concern here…
Oh, sorry. I just felt really angry for a moment there.
Delta, looks like you’ve got a pretty low boiling point.
You’re wrong! Don’t judge me like tha-…
…Wait, something’s wrong. After eating that shaved ice, I suddenly feel really mad.
Nay, did you put some weird medicine in here?
I just made it really cold, I don’t think I did anything else to it…
Then why am I getting so pissed off!? What the hell are you going to do about this!?
…Looks like it’s causing irritation in a different way than I thought.

I mean I’d certainly never cynically exploit people I’ve never met for profit, especially when I’m quite sure there’s no way I could ever suffer any consequence from it.

T-This is just way too big…
That’s not true. In fact, parfaits are more enjoyable the bigger they are.
I’m not saying you’re wrong, but, there’s still a limit. I could never eat all this.
So you’re not gonna have any? Alright Delta, you’ve got the glorious job of taste testing. It’s all yours.
What!? That’s not fair!!
Heh heh, sorry Cass.
Even you were saying it’s too big…
But I’ve got confidence that I can eat it. Anyway, I guess I’ll start with the ice cream.
It’s super cold, so be careful.
It’s ice cream, of course it’s cold. Om…
Uu, it looks so good…
Wow, this ice cream is INCREDIBLY cold… GAH!?
Hm, what’s wrong?
T-This really huuuurts!! Argh, my head’s going to split!! My head!!
Hey, Delta!? Are you okay!?
Urgh, guhhh… GAH!
N-Nay! Delta’s eyes rolled back in his head and he collapsed!
Ouch… Maybe because I made it a little too cold…
I’m pretty sure that gave him a really bad brain freeze, worse than normal…
Does brain freeze really get worse for reasons like that?
I don’t know, just a guess. Well I guess the flavor is good. I’ll call it the Special DX Parfait and…
…I think One Hit KO Parfait is a lot more appropriate.

The specials… didn’t quite work out as well as she hoped.

…What happened to your line of cool dishes? Failed miserably?
It seems so… * Sigh * And I was so confident it would take off.
Well, it looks like you have a few customers… So maybe it wasn’t a complete bust.
Yeah, but… I was expecting it to be PACKED.
And if that happened, I was going to make the items available year round…
That’s fraud.
Oh don’t worry. As long as no one makes a big deal out of it, it’s not fraud.
…Anyway, we have a bigger issue to solve. The fact that people still aren’t coming…
You make that sound so depressing…

Probably for the best, the liability on those things would have been killer.

If you do it too often, it’ll lose its charm of being limited.
I mean, after all, the flavor is… Umm…
Well, it’s not for everyone. Maybe dogs…?
Stop calling it dog food! You could’ve said “unique” or “eccentric” or something…
Regardless, it doesn’t necessarily sound delicious.
I do think you should brush up on your cooking a bit. Don’t you agree?
No way. I’m not really that great at tedious work, you know…
* Sigh * …You’re gonna be known as “that’ restaurant.
If that happens, I don’t know if I’ll ever want the keys back…
Well, we might have different approaches, but I don’t think your cooking really counts… As cooking.

Anyway that’s enough for now, I need to get this stuff together. I’ll pick up again with the story later.

Next Time, Ar Nosurge: The Great Escape

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Feinne posted:

Oh don’t worry. As long as no one makes a big deal out of it, it’s not fraud.

Oh Nay :allears:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Cooking, cooking never changes.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
...so this is the Divine Empress? I guess the Prime Minister has to be running everything behind the scenes or the city would be in flames.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Apr 12, 2015

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Cathodes just get weirder and weirder from here on out.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Internet Kraken posted:

...so this is the Divine Empress? I guess the Prime Minister has to be running everything behind the scenes or the city would be in flames.

Just wait until we find out how Nay became Divine Empress.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Are there a lot of these shop scenes? Because they're okay in small doses, but if there's a 1:1 (or 1:2 or 1:3) ratio of shop updates to main story updates, that could get tiring.

Feinne posted:

Feinne’s Notes:
So, shop scenes trigger every time we leave the shop menu if there are in fact scenes extant. You should always exhaust your shop scenes, because we need to see them all in order to get the best ending.

That sounds super-tedious, who thought that was a good idea.

Internet Kraken posted:

That's okay, evil guys are pretty good at organizing things. (I would be seriously shocked if the PM does NOT turn out to be evil.)

Feinne posted:

naybutt.jpg

...What can you say about a costume designer who thinks that Nay's current outfit just wasn't quite revealing enough, so they made sure half her rear end is hanging out. :cripes:

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Apr 12, 2015

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
Speaking of clothes, I think I figured out Delta's weird Apron thing. He was a restaurant cook before running off to help everyone, right? Maybe he just never took off his apron or he wears it around to remind everyone he's still a cook?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Are there a lot of these shop scenes? Because they're okay in small doses, but if there's a 1:1 (or 1:2 or 1:3) ratio of shop updates to main story updates, that could get tiring.

That sounds super-tedious, who thought that was a good idea.

That's okay, evil guys are pretty good at organizing things. (I would be seriously shocked if the PM does NOT turn out to be evil.)

...What can you say about a costume designer who thinks that Nay's current outfit just wasn't quite revealing enough, so they made sure half her rear end is hanging out. :cripes:

There's one more update of these with Nay (which will also include the Purification topics I had, which is this game's version of the Inn talk from the previous games), not counting the things I couldn't synthesize because I needed poo poo from Quanturv which I might just whip into an actual plot update. We'll start having Sarly scenes as well for a while, but those can actually sometimes be pretty relevant to the plot as well as funny.

Next update is a continuation of the plot, expect it Monday (we've got plans most of the day tomorrow and I don't know that I can get it done).

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Feinne posted:

Moving pudding… reminds me, note to self, get in touch with Skycat, interesting product proposal.

:supaburn: Abort, abort, maximum alert, abort. :supaburn:

Internet Kraken posted:

I know this isn't the case, but I'd like if Nay is normally competent but in her Delta's shop she just takes it easy, shuts down her brain and goes with the flow.

wdarkk posted:

Just wait until we find out how Nay became Divine Empress.

It was song magic thunderdome, wasn't it? Two princesses enter, one Empress leaves.

In the end, though

Argas posted:

Cooking, cooking never changes.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The synthesis song is different for tech items too, they all have their unique lyrics depending on the synthesis type. This game has way too much of this kind of restaurant etc. talk though. I pretty much skipped 90% of Nays scenes I think.

Auraboks
Mar 24, 2013

...huh?
The synthesis scenes are actually one of my biggest beefs with this game. They're not super awful or anything, but there's way too many, they're way too long, and worst of all, most aren't funny. We get it, Nay is bad at cooking. Now can we- oh, look, she made an electric cucumber for you to stick on your sword. How hilarious.

If someone had just taken a hatchet to the script and made these half as long (or half as frequent, or both) the game would be much improved. Still bad, but improved.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
AT2 had the same problem though. I think 1 and 3 handled that better. Do they really expect the player to walk that often into those stores? I had situations where like 10+ scenes piled up, both in AT2 and this game.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
That parfait is a perfect allegory for RPGs.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

AT2 had the same problem though. I think 1 and 3 handled that better. Do they really expect the player to walk that often into those stores? I had situations where like 10+ scenes piled up, both in AT2 and this game.

Yeah, I will say there is a payoff for all of them (and of course it's actually mandatory for the best ending) but there are just too many scenes that show up at any given time for each shop. They really needed to spread out better, but I think they didn't want to you feel like you had to go back to each shop after every single thing or something.

Update tomorrow unless something radically changes in my time availability today.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Ar Tonelico Trivia Challenge!

I'll be posing some Ar Tonelico Trivia as things go on. There are three tiers of questions, the Mute Tier, Misha Tier, and Mir Tier. Sensible people might reasonably be able to answer the first, whereas only people as fundamentally damaged as me are likely to find the third accessible. The first tier is worth one point, the second three, the third five. Do only answer one question from each Tier, though it should be noted many of the upper tier questions might have multiple correct answers.

Mute Tier (1 Point):

This song was used in order to defeat the virus ELMA in Ar Tonelico.

An archer from the Teru Tribe, she was an ally in Ar Tonelico 2.

This computer program was the 'Mother Matrix' of Clustania.

She sang for Misha in Ar Tonelico.

Bourd Rade was employed by this corporation.

Misha Tier (3 Points):

This person voiced Mir in the dub of Ar Tonelico, but not Ar Tonelico 2.

EXEC_EP=NOVA/. is an abbreviation for what?

One of Ayatane's katana sets from Ar Tonelico, these katanas reference the Four Holy Beasts of mythology.

Mir Tier (5 Points):

Begin from this prompt:

Was yea ra chs hymmnos mea, en chs fwal fwal yor.

What does this mean?

Who said it and on what occasion?

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Wow, that's definitely reaching back a bit.

After looking into the grammar and the hymmnos dictionary because I'm a total tool and remembered that I wanted to learn the language from years back. I wager that "Was yea ra chs hymmnos mea, en chs fwal fwal yor." means "I will gladly continue to sing, to be come your wings."

A few songs use "Was yea ra chs hymmnos mea", which is kind of throwing me off.

Edit: VVVV Ah that's probably it. Should definitely reread those LPs at some point.
Edit2: 2nd guessing at every turn, that's definitely a tough one. I honestly don't distinctly remember any characters saying that in anything outside of songs.
Edit3: Now that I think about it, it's probably a phrase used by Lyner when he was at a tower door inputting a password that was in hymnnos.

InfinityComplex fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 13, 2015

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Feinne posted:

Sensible people might reasonably be able to answer the first, whereas only people as fundamentally damaged as me are likely to find the third accessible.

Mir Tier (5 Points):

Begin from this prompt:

What does this mean?

I have not read the AT 1 LP in a couple years... so I cheated slightly by listening to one of the songs.

So I think I found a match (well I'm not sure about the last word)... roughly speaking, "I shall turn my life into a song"? it was sung by Aurica (EXEC_LINKER) when the evil church dudes were trying to download "the goddess" (actually Mir) into her body?

P.S. No one is even in the same Fundamentally Damaged league as you, Feinne.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 12, 2015

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

It does get said at least once as an actual line, and that is indeed a good translation for the first phrase. If you get the second phrase it might also suggest the situation it was used in, as it was terribly relevant.

And I will eventually reveal the answers to everything that nobody else is tainted enough with forbidden knowledge to know.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Feinne posted:

Mir Tier (5 Points):

Begin from this prompt:

What does this mean?

Isn't the meaning of "fwal" something close to "wings"? I remember it being something like that...

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

AweStriker posted:

Isn't the meaning of "fwal" something close to "wings"? I remember it being something like that...

I will confirm this is one of its meanings, because Hymmnos can be hard to translate even with a dictionary.

You could imagine the other meanings are related to that one.

Crepuscule Adepte
Feb 21, 2008

Why is my hair purple? It's from the blood of everyone that lost a bet against me.
Let's see, it's been a long time since I've done hymmnos, and I don't remember that line, but let's see...

I am happy: I will become a song, and become your wings.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Well, Was yea ra chs hymmnos mea is pretty much the iconic hymmnos phrase, and in song magic generally acts to help reenforce a reyvateil's feelings, the most obvious example being in Aurica's version of Purger. Fwal does translate to wings, chs is 'to change', and yor I think is 'your', so I'd agree with InfinityComplex's translation.

As for that entire sentence, isn't that what Luca read off that mural in the ruins in Enna? I can't remember what it did, though.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Just based off of what it says, I suspect that Hymmnos phrase is when Aurica saves Lyner from falling fairly early on on AT1, but it's been forever and I can't be arsed to look it up.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Feinne posted:

What does this mean?

Translation: I turn myself into song, to become your strength.
Literal: Happy very much I want this to continue become song myself, for become wing wing you.

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Not the strongest, but the cutest.

Feinne posted:

Mute Tier (1 Point):

She sang for Misha in Ar Tonelico.

Misha Tier (3 Points):

EXEC_EP=NOVA/. is an abbreviation for what?

1. Tastiella de Lu.
2. Enhanced Power Nova.

• Locked thread