Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Prim's outfit really is just awful. The whole "family" just looks hilarious next to each other, it's like Cass and Delta stole random bits of Prim's clothes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

They grow up so fast nowadays.

Without pants.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
Yeesh seems like Delta's got some serious brain problems

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Oddly I find myself missing stripping as a game mechanic, though

You must be better at repressing things than me.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

FractalSandwich posted:

Maybe the game does get better later, but that doesn't make what it is right now not awful. And even if it's nothing but gold from here on out, I'm not sure I can ever really forgive the character design and the looming specter of further nudity.

Yeah, I agree with this. Maybe good stuff later does not excuse terrible stuff now. Even ignoring Prim's super-awful outfit (which the designers thought was a good idea on someone who is essentially a child in both body and mind), just the concept of a instantiating a mind-child because Cass and Delta like each other is :wtc:-ingly dumb and insane.

Internet Kraken posted:

Frankly I'm shocked that we've actually seen a women that didn't look like an underage girl. Must of taken a lot of restraint on the designers part to just make her an oversexualized adult instead.

You know things are really bad when the key word in that first sentence is "a".

wdarkk posted:

You pre-ordered AT 3, knowing about the stripping ahead of time.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

wdarkk posted:

We had to wait until late in the game for the characters in Qoga to be wearing as revealing of outfits as Nay and Prim wear at all times. And the Qoga characters did it in service of super moves. Prim just... forgot to wear pants, or something.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

This is incredibly weird

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

We had to wait until late in the game for the characters in Qoga to be wearing as revealing of outfits as Nay and Prim wear at all times. And the Qoga characters did it in service of super moves. Prim just... forgot to wear pants, or something.

The thing that actually bugged me about stripping was the scenes where you encourage them to take off their clothes to let you program hyumas. A lot of the ladies were really uncomfortable with it. I don't think Feinne showed those (for good reason).

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Purging was super weird, but I loved how Tyria just kind of went with it. "Yeah I know this is a thing, so I'm going to wear this small mech suit when we go into battle so that at the bare minimum I'm still wearing a leotard when all this poo poo goes down."

At least it reminds me of two things that are cool and not wierd.

wdarkk posted:

The thing that actually bugged me about stripping was the scenes where you encourage them to take off their clothes to let you program hyumas. A lot of the ladies were really uncomfortable with it. I don't think Feinne showed those (for good reason).

Wait what?

:psyduck:

Damnit Japan :japan:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

wdarkk posted:

Then I am working with a false impression of Qoga!

Still, at least the characters had their butts covered during cutscenes. This is a lesser of two evils sort of thing. :colbert:

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Yeah I insulated you guys from some poo poo in Qoga.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Oh No. A child character who's about as well dressed as Nay, and likes the main protagonist (even if it's not romantic). This combined with what the systems we've seen regarding Dives and Purification makes me think there is absolutely no way this can end well.

We will never have a Dive with Prim. I can give 100% assurance with regards to this.

I think we've also run into all of the worst-dressed characters now. Nobody is worse than Nay and Prim.

I'm pushing these updates really hard and fast because I really want to get through this part of the game to where poo poo really starts to get interesting. We've got a much better Dive coming soon, and a pretty great Song in the near future to coincide with the plot really starting to pick up. Remember the update count isn't really a strong indicator of how far we are in the game, because four of them have fuckall to do with the plot.

EDIT: I will say, how Nay dresses really does fit with her character. We just don't know enough about her yet to really see it as of this point in the plot so it seems especially egregious. No idea what the gently caress they were thinking on Prim, though I'll say later portions of the game will make it pretty clear Sharl and Genom don't really 'get' clothes and how they work. I'm honestly half-sure Prim's 'clothes' are part of her skin and are just basically part of babby's first attempt at looking like a human.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Apr 17, 2015

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

My copy of Ciel Nosurge arrived today! Now just to work on the whole problem of "I can't understand a word of it" :downs:

On the entire 'dropping in on Nay' thing, I'm surprised you didn't screencap the final shot of the scene which is just Delta floating face-down unconscious in the water :v:

wdarkk posted:

Pretty sure we've seen all the "oops walked in on a naked lady" bits.
Yeah, we've definitely passed the lowest point in the game for that stuff.

Oh, and as we've seen some heavily filtered Ciel screenshots in the game now, here's some official art from Ciel Nosurge for Pram, Delta and Cass:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I guess now we know why Pram's not in this game (unless he shows up later).

He has pants.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
How does any of you know that characters not have pants, are there upskirts shots or something

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Szurumbur posted:

How does any of you know that characters not have pants, are there upskirts shots or something

In America, pants are trousers.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Thuryl posted:

In America, pants are trousers.

Yes, well, you don't have to laugh at my jokes, but don't kill them outright.

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

As someone who's been slowly reading through the Ciel nosurge summary alongside this LP I've got to say I'm pretty interested in seeing how the story turns out and what details they'll bring up from Ciel like the little Manjusara adventure.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Feinne posted:

EDIT: I will say, how Nay dresses really does fit with her character. We just don't know enough about her yet to really see it as of this point in the plot so it seems especially egregious.

Since Nay's character seems to be "is stupid, obnoxious, and terrible at everything she does", then yes, her outfit matches her character perfectly.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

Prim's outfit really is just awful. The whole "family" just looks hilarious next to each other, it's like Cass and Delta stole random bits of Prim's clothes.

Prim and Nay being in the same room is like some sort of "anime as gently caress costuming" singularity.

e: That or the two of them are secretly MMO characters.

e2: I'm amazed no-one's commented on Prim being a literal brain-child.

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 17, 2015

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Wales Grey posted:

Prim and Nay being in the same room is like some sort of "anime as gently caress costuming" singularity.

e: That or the two of them are secretly MMO characters.
MMO characters... that would explain a lot, actually.0

Feinne posted:

No idea what the gently caress they were thinking on Prim, though I'll say later portions of the game will make it pretty clear Sharl and Genom don't really 'get' clothes and how they work. I'm honestly half-sure Prim's 'clothes' are part of her skin and are just basically part of babby's first attempt at looking like a human.
The alternative is "you guys brought forth an entire sentient being ... but forgot the clothes which should be trivial in comparison??"

Also, the whole "show not tell" trend is going to continue i see... terrible use of a pun/cliche but you get what i mean

Alavaria fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 17, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Feinne posted:

EDIT: I will say, how Nay dresses really does fit with her character. We just don't know enough about her yet to really see it as of this point in the plot so it seems especially egregious. No idea what the gently caress they were thinking on Prim, though I'll say later portions of the game will make it pretty clear Sharl and Genom don't really 'get' clothes and how they work. I'm honestly half-sure Prim's 'clothes' are part of her skin and are just basically part of babby's first attempt at looking like a human.

This stuff doesn't really matter though. No matter what in game justification is, you know the real reason they look like that is because the designer is a creep that can't keep their disgusting fetish out the work. Ingame justifications for that kind of stuff usually fall completely flat out and just make the whole thing even more pathetic.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Oh for sure, that's the actual explanation. At least it's pretty minimal this time around, it's pretty much just Nay and Prim as far as people not being dressed in things that would reasonably be considered 'clothes'. That's actually better than a lot of installments of the series because alternate costumes aren't really a 'thing' this time around, and that's where a lot of really tasteless poo poo got into some of the priors.

Working on an update now.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
When I played the game I got really pissed with all these fanservice scenes early on too, but we're through the worst now. They really put all of it in the early game.

Also those Ciel bits must be confusing for people who did not read the summary.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

(Temporarily) unexplained backstory flashbacks aren't uncommon in RPGs, particularly when the protaganist has amnesia. I'm working on the assumption it'll make sense later.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Ugh, is she seriously coming here? I mean I know I told her she could, but I thought how little I wanted her here was understood. O-oh, hey kids, right, story time. Robots attacking Felion and all that.

What have they done!?
I won’t forgive them…
…Is the city under attack?
Yes. It’s taking all Felion’s got to fight off the Sharl.
Oh no…
Cass, let’s hit that big guy over there! Start singing!
On it!

Armed robots are actually super rare now, since someone kept hijacking them and having them fight each other for gambling purposes.

Feinne’s Notes:
Another pretty straightforward fight. So, these large robots are sort of interesting, they take MUCH more damage if you can hit them while they’re Broken but are much harder to Break next turn. We’ll fight lots of variants on them as normal enemies so it’s good to know. We also got access to our first advanced attack on the way here. Zero Divide is a more powerful Square attack that costs some of our Harmonics bar to use. We can access it by holding L1/R1.

Then someone who’s no fun at all made me, er, them stop. Like I’d hijack the tower guardians. Again.

Yeah. Delta, carry the injured inside. I’ll perform emergency first-aid.
Got it.
P-Prim wants to help too! Is there anything I can do?
U-Umm… Well, you could help treat inured people inside the Barrier.
Treat them…? You mean help them? Okay! I’ll try!
N fei ah W ke-cyei nay-nei wei-fou-du tiki-nay-wei;
Song Magic!?
Well, she IS a natural Incarnation.
He he he.
Prim, keep it up! They need your help!
Right! I got it!
Don’t get too far away!
Okaaaaay!
PLASMA Troop A: Mr. Delta, Ms. Casty, the Divine Empress calls for your presence at PLASMA headquarters!
So demanding…
No, Sarly might have found a way to stop those machines.
Oh yeah, she did say that, huh…
Please tell her we’ll be there as soon as we’re done helping these people.
PLASMA Troop A: Understood!

Prim meanwhile had wandered quite far.

PLASMA Troop A: Y-Yeah…
PLASMA Troop B: Wait, are you a Sharl!?
PLASMA Troop A: Wh-What?!
Prim is Prim. Mommy told me to help hurt people.
PLASMA Troop A: Mommy…?
Casty!
PLASMA Troop B: What…? She’s got a kid already…?
PLASMA Troop A: N-No way… I refuse to believe that!
PLASMA Troop B: Oh, are you a Casty fan?
PLASMA Troop A: …Is there something wrong with that?
Look, the point is we need to be helping these people!
PLASMA Troop B: I know that!
Aren’t you hurt?
PLASMA Troop A: It’s just a scratch. There are people in much worse shape than us. We need to go help them.
…Wait!
N fei ah W ke-cyei nay-nei wei-fou-du tiki-nay-wei;
PLASMA Troop A: Song Magic?
Woah, my wounds are…
PLASMA Troop B: Mine too…
How’s that?

Much like a certain person who just wanders off then calls you up and says ‘hey, I’m going to drop in for a while, that’s okay right?’ Huh? No, it’s nothing to do with the story, sorry, I’ll stick to that.

PLASMA Troop B: I didn’t think you could use Song Magic… Hey, could you help us treat the others?
Sure, okay!
PLASMA Troop B: Thanks. Let’s get moving. People need your help!
Is this what Mommy’s doing?
PLASMA Troop A: Of course. She’s using Song Magic to protect the city. You could say she’s one of the goddesses of Felion.
A goddess…huh…
PLASMA Troop B: Come on, let’s move!
Okay!

It turned out that Sarly was the one who actually wanted to talk with Delta and Cass.

I know. Sorry. What’s the damage to the city like?
The Barrier was damaged, but thankfully there weren’t many casualties.
Good.
Where’s Nay?
She just summoned you for me. It would have been hard for me to get a mercenary like Delta here by myself.
Oh, sorry…
Doesn’t matter. There’s something I need to tell you…and something I need to ask you. About those machines.
The combat machines?
Yes. They’re being driven by Song Magic.
Now that you mention it, the people from the Church did say that… What does it mean?
There are two broad categories of Song Magic: Songs for attacks and healing, and control songs for facilities.
Control songs are especially powerful, and they’re known and feared as “CIEL_N.”

I’d make fun of them for being dumb enough to have just one song for controlling all their defense robots but it seems like they weren’t even a documented feature of the ship, so maybe they just were in a rush.

CIEL_N are programs which are converted into songs, then installed within one’s mind, but…
To tell the truth, the CIEL_N_PROTECTA causing us trouble was something I received from the Doctor.
You mean the guy we talked to back at your hideout?
Yes.
He gave me that song while I was trying to figure out how to infiltrate the Church.
Before I could use it, though, I was captured, and the song was taken from me.
…In other words, it’s my fault Felion is in so much trouble right now.
I’m really sorry.
Hm… Well, we can’t do anything about that now, but does that mean if we take back CIEL_N_PROTECTA, they stop?
Yes, of course. That’s why I’m planning to go do just that.
Hold on, do you even know where it IS?
No, I don’t, but…I doubt it’s being kept outside Church headquarters.
Then we need to infiltrate Quanturv again…
Yes, but this time they know who we are. It’ll be much more difficult.
Even so, we’ve got to. Those machines need to be stopped.
That’s right… Thank you, Delta.
So what should we do? It would probably be best to leave as soon as possible.

Sarly had a suggestion before they headed out.

What’s that?
I want to Chain my Genometrics with you two.

They headed to the Bios Shop.

If we’re going to make it inside, we’re going to need very powerful Song Magic.
So I’m going to give you a “Though Resource,” and help you create stronger Song Magic.
Can you explain that in a way a normal person would understand?
Fine. To put it simply, I’m going to give you guys new Song Magic.
Really?! That’s awesome!
Hold on, it’s a little early to celebrate. You can’t just…hand it over, right?
Of course not. That’s why we came to a Bios Shop.
Cass and I will connect our hearts, and I’ll allow you to access my Genometrics.
So we’re going to go into your mind and weave Song Magic there?
Exactly.
Song Magic is the product of thoughts. You’ve already been in Cass’s Genometrics, you should understand.
Receiving Song Magic from me is exactly the same process.
I’ll Chain with Cass, so you can both enter my mind.
Then, once my subconscious wants to help you, the Song Magic will be created.
That means I’ll need to go into the crazy world inside your head, huh?
Not if you don’t want to.
I just wanted to make sure I was helping in every way I could.

This seems like something that could be kind of interesting, but even I don’t know how it works.

I don’t mind. I’ve known you for a long time. I don’t think I have anything I want to hide from you.
…I wonder. I hope you feel the same after seeing my Genometrics.
Oh well. The rest is up to the Bios Shop.
Bios Shop: Ready when you are! I’ll start linking your mind with Ms. Casty, is that OK?
Yes.
Bios Shop: Alright, both of you, close your eyes.
Quell->EX[lic]->[hymi SARLY<=>CASTY];
All done!
Thank you.
The next time you enter Genometrics, you should be able to access my mind as well.
I can’t guarantee you’ll be able to weave Song Magic, but you should take a look if you’re interested.

They had something else to consider before they left as well.

Don’t worry about her. Nay has been watching her at Nay au Francais.
Huh, sounds like Nay might be unexpectedly good with kids.
Let’s go see Prim before we leave.

So they dropped in on the restaurant.

Hey Prim! Have you been good?
Yup, I was talking to Nay about all kinds of things. Like this city!
Oh I see. Thank you, Nay.
Don’t mention it… But you’re pretty good too, Delta.
She’s YOUR kid, you know.
I told you to stop saying that!
Hey, Nay, you should make her something to eat.
Um…like what?
Chazen.
I don’t have any.
But when this was my restaurant, Chazen was the most popular thing!
Of course it was, it was the only thing on the menu.
Stir-frying is such a pain. I don’t usually bother with it.
…This is just too sad.
Hey, Daddy, Prim wants to eat this.

Though frankly it was probably a bad idea to let her eat anything there.

What the heck is that… Is it for kids?
It’s an item for men and women of all ages, targeted at a wide customer base.
Th-That sounds good! All right, I’ll take one!
Coming right up!
Hey, Prim, you should share some when it shows up.
Okay!
Oh no!
I’m sorry, I’m all out of black turmeric. Would you mind buying some for me?
That’s okay… You got some cash?
Just pay for it yourself.
What?! Come on… Ah, forget it. Prim, we should just give up on that.
I haven’t seen any black turmeric for quite a while, anyway. I think it’s gone extinct already.
Really? That’s horrible… I guess this time is off the menu, starting today.
Wait…what were you doing before this?
Hm? Oh, nothing. Nobody ordered it.
Wait wait wait… So you just got lucky!
…Hey, when is Prim going to get her food?
She said she doesn’t have the ingredients. You need to give up on it, Prim.
What!? That’s no fun! I was looking forward to it!
Sometimes in life you just have to endure the ridiculous, like this girl here…
I’m sorry, Prim. I’ll give you this instead.

In the end they gave her something none of them had cooked.

System Message: Obtained item [Sweet Stick]!
Yay! Thank you, Nay!
Hey, hold on. I’m trying to teach her a life lesson here! You’re ruining it!
I couldn’t just let a cute kid stay sad, though.
I can’t believe this…
Delta, quit playing around. We need to get to Quanturv.
O-Oh, right.
Sorry for asking you to take care of Prim for us.
It’s really not a big deal. She doesn’t cause any trouble.
You just take care of those combat machines, okay? The fate of the city may depend on your success.
I know. You can count on us. Prim, you behave yourself while we’re gone, okay?
All right Cass, let’s get going.

I guess I’ll get ready to open. Prim, go ahead and sit wherever you want.
Where are Mommy and Daddy going? What’s Quanturv?
It’s someplace very far away.
Someplace far away…

Delta, Cass, and Sarly headed out for Quanturv.

They had an unwelcome guest.

Whoa, Prim!? What hole did you pop out of!?
Prim wasn’t in a hole.
I wasn’t being literal!
It’s bad to litter.
That’s not what that means!
You two… Sure do get along well.
Where are you going?
We’re going to a place called Quanturv to take back something important. Sarly’s coming too.
What are you taking back?
A very important thought that the Sharl stole.
Hmmm… Can Prim come, too?
No, it’s too dangerous. You have to stay here.
What…?
I’m sorry, Prim. We’ll be back before you know it.
Just stay with Nay, okay? She’ll play with you.
Be a good girl, okay?
Okay…
He he…

But before we move on, I think I’ll tell you what happened when they Dove with Sarly. Next time, though, you all need to get to bed and I need to start getting some stuff ready.

Next Time, Ar Nosurge: Friendship

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I haven't read anything about Ciel Nosurge and have never played or watched an Ar Tonelico game before so this is quite a lot of :japan: to take all at once. Why is no one wearing pants whyyyyy.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Looks like Sarly may be a bit jealous of Delta and Casty. Since the main cast knows each other pretty well from before they lost their homeworld, I wonder if she lost someone important back then.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

I haven't read anything about Ciel Nosurge and have never played or watched an Ar Tonelico game before so this is quite a lot of :japan: to take all at once. Why is no one wearing pants whyyyyy.
Clearly, a Sharl turned into a pair of pants and went on a killing spree in the past. As a result, pants are now outlawed and/or discriminated against.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

AradoBalanga posted:

Clearly, a Sharl turned into a pair of pants and went on a killing spree in the past. As a result, pants are now outlawed and/or discriminated against.

Unlikely, Sharl loathe pants just as much, if not more. Pants is a common enemy of both races.

mikemil828 fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 18, 2015

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Considering the origins of Sharls, someone could have imagined up a carnivorous pair of pants.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Something you don't really get in the screenshots is how terrible Cass and Sarlys hair looks when they move their head, its mostly like one solid entity.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Why is no one wearing pants whyyyyy.

Pants block U-Waves, and are suboptimal for some song magic focused builds. Why do you think Mir is so strong?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

It's possible we'll see the front end of Sarly's Genometrics today (it'll definitely be another two-parter) but most likely it'll be tomorrow, I've still got to take screens and the raw video is an hour long.

EDIT: Yeah you ain't seeing poo poo today, because the whole dive is 1100 screens long.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 18, 2015

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

AradoBalanga posted:

Finally, I know something about this series that isn't EXEC_PURGER/.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Front end of the Dive tomorrow, then likely the back end on Tuesday because both updates will be more than 500 screens worth of text and it's just a bastard to wrangle it all.

I'll probably post the answers for all the trivia Monday-ish and come up with some new ones this coming week.

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

So I've finished reading through the Ciel summary and man are there some loose ends to tie up so looking forward to see what Ar Nosurge does on that front, also I now have questions about certain characters but I assume those will be answered the further we get into the LP so I'll just wait and see.

Thanks Feinne for LPing the game and getting me interested enough to read the Ciel summary for back story and thanks FrantzX for posting the link to said summary. :eng101:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Having binged through the Ciel Nosurge summary, I can confidently say that Cass has the least tragic past out of all the Ar-series heroines by a pretty long shot.

Nay, on the other hand... :stonk:

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Tarezax posted:

Having binged through the Ciel Nosurge summary, I can confidently say that Cass has the least tragic past out of all the Ar-series heroines by a pretty long shot.

Nay, on the other hand... :stonk:

Yeah, I won't get into it because this game will later give us most of the really important details but Nay's got fuckin' Circumstances. Knowing them WILL however give you a good feel for how loving hardcore she really is towards the end of the chapter.

Update progress is about 20%, but steady. Give it a few hours.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Let’s keep on with the story. Before they headed for Quanturv, they decided to take Sarly up on her offer.

Feinne’s Notes:
You might notice as we were told a bit ago we do have access to Zill’s Genometrics. Its title of Land of Death should suggest it’s not something to enter lightly, and we’ll be avoiding it for now entirely because I want to see what happens if we don’t do it until the game asks us to.

This time, Delta found himself in a city.

Oh really? What kind of world WERE you expecting?
Hey, Prime… You can come to others’ worlds, too?
If the world is Chained to the two of you, I can go anywhere. Because I live inside your mind.
Oh yeah… Where’s Cass?
Cass is somewhere in this world, as well.
When entering a world with someone who’s Chained to you, it doesn’t mean the conditions are the same.
Really…?
Yes. For example, when in a group of three, there might be different tension than if there were two, yes?
That applies to Soulscapes, too. Depending on your relationship with others, the world changes.
Cass and Sarly are quite friendly, so that probably explains why they’ve already adapted into this world.
What the…? So, I’m like a third wheel in this arrangement?
Now, now… If it was the real world, I understand, but this is the mental one… It might actually be good.
…How so?
Strength of Song Magic chained through a friend is determined by the bond of friendship between the two…
Nonetheless, if the two are too close, it may not work… Especially in a relationship with much co-dependence.
That is why it is important for you to view this world objectively. Your true value lies there.
I’m not sure what’s going on, but I’m not as close to Sarly as Cass is, so I’m better suited to weave Song Magic?
Hehe, that’s correct.
Heh, I don’t know if that’s supposed to motivate me…

In any sort of Dive, step one is to find the person you’re Diving with.

Anyway… First, I need to find Sarly. Is there anyone over here…?

Whoa… That old man looks pretty scary… But there’s no one else, so I guess he’s my best shot.
Excuse me! I’m looking for my friends Cass and Sarly. Have you seen them?
Hey, don’t you dare talk to me like I know you! You little twerp!
Huh!? O-Oh, sorry…
Something must’ve gone haywire with your brain if ya think you can just walk up… You’re one of THEM, huh?
T-Them…? Hey, I’m really not sure what you’re talking about, but… You’re doubting me?
Whew, what a scary thought… Better keep some salt at my door to ward off evil.
H-Hey! Wait…! Aw, he’s gone.
That was pretty cold… Is everyone in this town like this?

Of course, you often end up running into a bunch of weird and random people before that.

Huh? Oh, yeah… I guess you could say that.
Thank you very much for coming, and welcome to the city that never sleeps, New Rock City!
U-Umm… Thanks for the warm welcome.
I saw that just a moment ago! That was pretty mean. I can’t believe someone would say something like that…
W-Who the heck are you? You look kinda shady…
That’s because of the “No Friends Allowed Law”! I completely understand, yes…
No friends allowed law? What the heck is that?
Whoa, are you anti-law? Ahh, yes, yes… You’re exactly what we need at our firm.
Alright! I’m scouting you to join us! Now, how about we start with a contract, yes?
Hey, wait just a second! I’ve got things to do, you know!?

Feinne’s Notes:
Most of the choices in here just determine if you get a Thought Gem, but I’m pretty sure getting side-tracked here will in fact kick you out. Best not to risk it.

Best not to let yourself waste too much time on them. Though, this one was giving some rather important information as to the situation.

Argh, this is taking so much time…! If you don’t act, they’re gonna get here!
T-They?
Tch… I guess I just have to brainwash him myself…
Wha-? Brainwash!? Hey, who the hell do you think you are-!?
Heh… I suppose I have no choice but to tell you since you asked.
A world with no love. That’s a crime in itself! I am Pretty Berry, the Evangelist of Love!
W-W-What the-!? Who are you!?
But I just told you who I was… Now! You’ve seen me, so you must obey me!
What the hell are you trying to do!?
Why obviously, I want you to lov-
???: Hold it right there!
I can’t have you take our upstanding citizens…
We have you surrounded!
What the heck’s going on now!?
That weak-sounding voice… Can only be-!

I know a lot of really embarrassing stuff has happened in my mind or connected with me, but at least it’s never been this.

We are warriors of reason and order! Nyurokiller Z!
Now, your heart will be broken!
M-My heart will be… What?
Heh, I saw this coming from a mile away, you fake sheep…!
We’re not fake sheep… We’re the warriors who fight for dreams and hope, from Planet Nyuroki—
You don’t need to explain all that, Nyuroki!
Evangelist of Love, Nay! You are going to come with us.
Dammit! I was so close!
Nothing new, but you really never learn, do you!?
You’ve been defeated every single time.
Shut uuuuuuuuuuup!
Hah, today I’m gonna skin that wool off of you, and make you realize you can’t live in a world without love!
I’m gonna go first!
Wait a sec-! You always go first head-on…!
Strike first to catch the worm… Or something!
No, you’ve got it completely wrong!
Sunder the redline! Seven Dimensions!
Heh, you call that an attack!?

I mean these attack names, ugh. Put some effort in!

Urgah!
Gah, I told you…!
Why you…! You remember this!
I knew it…
Didn’t see that one coming…
I’m gonna get you next, with the menacing eyes. I’ll turn you into a slave of love!
Grr, what a loud little creature… This world doesn’t need love!
You! Stand back!
Are you talking about me?
Obviously…!
Don’t blame us if you take some stray fire. There’d be no point for us showing up if you did!
In other words, we’re protecting you from love, get it!?

I do have to say this one kind of hits me a bit close.

Feinne’s Notes:
If a choice costs DP in this Dive, it probably rewards a Thought Gem. As noted it’s hard to get kicked out of this one, and none of the Thought Gems this time require it (some will in other dives). Obviously this time we want to defy the way of this world and suggest that love is worth having.

Because I’ve definitely agreed with the horrible sheep sometimes.

What’d you say!?
Love is important!
System Message: Obtained the thought gem, [Love is Valuable]!
I may not agree with how she’s doing it, but I don’t’ think she’s wrong!
…Why you…
…I guess there’s nothing that can be done…
So, you understand, then?
It means you’re already our enemy.
Wha-!? H-hey, did that guy’s eye just light up?
Very well said… This means you’re on my side, right?
Well, I don’t know if I’d go that far…
The time for talking is over. It’s time for the both of you to go bye-bye…
Huuuh!?
You better prepare yourselves!
How the hell does that happen!?
Shut up and eat this! Nyuroki Z Amazing KICK!
Waaaaaah!

Fortunately for him, Nay took the hit.

Ugh…
Wha-!? You mean you didn’t attack me!? Hey… Are you okay? Um, Evangelist of something or other, Nay…?
That’s Evangelist of Love! Grr… How could this…?
Defenders of justice would never attack an innocent citizen!
Our target was the Evangelist of Love all along… We used you.
U-Used…?
But, this man said that love was important, too…
Hmm, in that case, I suppose we have no choice. Well, I think this woke him up to the truth.
It was all a ploy to trap me…?
Precisely.
Um, no… Those eyes from earlier. You were serious!
Yeah! Those!
Don’t think you’ve won… You may have defeated me, but there are still many out there who preach love!
The outcome will be the same, no matter how many times you try.
Love is not needed.
…M-Master…
And another threat has been eliminated.
I’m really not sure what’s going on, but it looks like I’m saved…?
There’s no need to thank us.

One of them knew his name. Do I need to spell this out?

Huh? How’d you know my…?
Oh no! Whoa, would you look at the time! Gotta run!
H-Hey, wait!
Sheesh… Urijou, you lack awareness as a Nyurokiller Z.
Who the heck are you guys…?
I hope you’ve learned your lesson… You must live life without being swayed by emotions.
H-hey, wait up-!
…And they’re gone.
What he heck was that?

It kind of seems like Delta’s actually really good at this without realizing it, he has the right approach for the most part.

It seems there’s doubt in your mind.
Yeah, they said something about love, but… What’s really going on here?
You must see this world with your own eyes.
I know that, but… This world really is strange.
But of course. This is a Soulscape… None of your common sense applies here.
I’m sure you figured this out already, but Sarly’s quite complicated, you know?

Looking around, he stumbled into the member of Nyurokiller Z who’d been sent flying.

Ugh… It’s so hot when you’re covered in hair.
Um, who are you supposed to be?
Gennori.
And what are you doing here, Gennori? Your friends are already gone, you know.
They’re not my friends…
They’re not? But, you were with them just moments ago.
But, they’re not my friends…! Don’t you know about the Anti-Friend law…?
Anti what…? Hm, someone mentioned that earlier, too.
Exactly! The Nyurokiller Z exist to protect people from love and friendship!
So how could such an organization call each other friends!?
So… Who were those guys who were with you?
T-They just happened to be there…?
I find that hard to believe. You were all completely in sync.
B-B-But they’re not my friends! Friends are bad…
O-Okay, okay…
Anyway, Gennori. Do you know where I can find Sarly?

He even got back on his main goal pretty quickly.

you know her?
Yeah, sorta…
Please, tell me where I can find her.
Hmm… You sure ask for difficult things.
Why do you want to know?
S-Speak of the devil…!
So, you were Nyuroki, was it!? You saved me earlier.
There’s no need to thank me.
We just couldn’t let MFO do as they please.
MFO? Like that one you defeated earlier?
You need to be more careful in the future… You never know when the enemy might strike.
But before that… Who the heck are you guys!?
Why, thank you so much for asking!

Feinne’s Notes:
Do note that it loads the line and our reply choices at the same time, so these screens include both the actual line and our response.

This stuff is so lame I’m having trouble even relaying it to you in good conscience.

Ah, so you finally understand our cause, do you now?
Yeah… I was a little shocked last time, but… I think it’s got a nice ring to it.
Ah, to meet someone who understands!
Yeah! And, I really dig that finishing pose, too!
…Of course, it’s all a lie, but… I need to find out where Sarly is…
Aw, man… I wish I could be one of you guys.
Nyu!?
Hm?
You want to join us, you say?
…Did I say something out of order?
Of course you can’t become one of us! There is only one Nyuroki!
Okay, okay!
System Message: Obtained the thought gem, [There is Only 1 Nyuroki]!
This is an insult to all Nyurokis!
If you thought you could fool me, you best think again!
Okay, I’m sorry…! But it’s not that I was trying to trick you-!
Nyu-nyu!?
I know I said I wanted to become one really lightly, but you guys do seem strong, and I thought it was cool.
Nyu-nyu-nyu!?

One thing Delta wasn’t so good at was avoiding digging himself deeper into trouble.

Nyu-nyu-nyu-nyu!?
…That’s a lot of nyu’s…
Well, I must give you credit for spotting the real deal.
Hey, can you just tell me…
Where can I find Professor Planck?
…Hm?
I take that to mean, you know…
What do you plan on doing, once you meet the professor?
What I’m…?
Have you thought that the professor might not want to see you?
Well, you don’t know that until we’ve tried, right?
…I suppose you do have a point.
But… That is entirely up to you!
What do you mean!?
I still do not completely understand you, human. Are you on our side…? Or MFO’s?
Time to go!
Hey!
I pray that the next time we meet, it is not as enemies!
I’m going toooooo!
…W-Why does it feel like… I’m going crazy?

Example, the first place he went to search for Sarly after that was the enemy’s headquarters.

Heh, guess we’ll take a look around!
Wait!
Cass!? I was looking for you! Where’ve you been!?
That’s MY line!
I never would’ve imagined you’d defect so easily. Are you really my enemy, after all?
Cass, what’s gotten into you?
Nothing!
But I’m glad I ran into you… I’m actually looking for Sarly.
Sarly?
…What do you mean? You came here to look for Sarly?
Hey, Cass… Are you listening to me?
Of course I am! But first, we need to get out of here.
Who’s over there?
Crap! She found us!

About now was when someone Delta hadn’t seen recently and thus didn’t remember made a cameo.

Overwise… I won’t be able to show you my LOVE!
Love!? Don’t tell me…! Cass, run!
Huh!?
I’m not really sure who that is, but I think they’re in cahoots with the people causing trouble here!
Y-Yes…!
I’m gonna protect you!
Delta…
Hurry up and run!
Y-You’re the one who should be running, Delta!
What do you mean!?
Try all you want, but you won’t escape me…!
I’m going to l-o-v-e the both of you!
Dammit, we don’t have a choice…
Cass, what are you gonna do!?
Delta! No matter what you see, don’t be surprised.
Surprised?
Just promise me!
O-Okay, yeah…!
I didn’t want you to see this, but…

Cass, of course, was part of Nyurokiller Z.

Urijou! At your service.
Cass!? Y-You mean to tell me… You were Urijou!?
You promised me you wouldn’t be surprised!
Nyurokiller Z!? I didn’t expect you to show up alone… Oh, I think I’m falling in love!
Oh, shut up! You’re getting on my nerves! …J-Jyou…
Are you doing that on purpose!?
Delta, you shut up!
Yes ma’am.
I never intended to fight you alone, either. But thanks to some idiot…!
Are you talking about me!?
OBVIOUSLY!
Well, sorry.
I-It’s not like I’m THAT mad or anything…
Now, that’s a couple in love if ever I saw one. Oh, I think I’m getting jealous.
Don’t tell me… You’re switching sides to MFO? Oh, we’d welcome you anytime!
Hah, in your dreams!
Delta, get out of here.
But Cass, you’re…!

Feinne’s Notes:
Thought Gems from choices are often the result of fighting against the way the world wants to be, as I sort of noted. And the world this time doesn’t want us to care more about helping Cass than our own safety.

Fighting in a Dive kind of works based off a combination of your confidence and the confidence being invested in you, it’s kind of weird and is generally a very unreliable way to deal with problems.

You idiot… You saw us fight earlier, right!?
Yes, I did, but…!
I’m obviously stronger than you are!
But, I can’t just leave this situation to you, and run away!
Delta…
ARGH! You two have even more love than I do!
So much for Nyurokiller Z.
N-No! You really are a little thorn in my side…
Huh!? Me!?
You’re throwing me off my groove… Couldn’t you just disappear for me!?
W-Wait!?
Well, if you don’t want that spiky-haired boy, then maybe I’ll take him off your hands for you.
No, you can’t do that!
What’s with you!?
System Message: Obtained the thought gem, [Make up your Mind!]
Argh, Delta… Please, just disappear!
Have a taste of this… Urijou Super HAMMER!
W-W-Wait, why me-!? Waaaah!

When you guys are older remind me and I’ll pull out a paper I wrote on the physics of hammer storage, it’s a fascinating phenomenon honestly.

Are you alright? Are you hurt anywhere…?
No, actually I’m not that hurt…
How scary. Who swings a hammer at a boy out of nowhere!?
Now, why don’t you just leave that scary hammer woman alone, and come with me?
I… That actually sounds tempting…
Delta, you IDIOT!
Who’s fault was that!?
W-Well, that’s because, umm…!
I’ll comfort you, gently.
Delta! What the hell do you think you’re doing!?
Oh my… Is someone jealous?
Oh, shut up!
Take this! Urijou Super HAMMER!
Eeeeeek!

They took the opportunity to run away.

Get out of here? But where?
Ack, we don’t have a choice… I’m taking you to our base!
Base!?
Yes… Our secret base, where we try to protect this world.
Is Sarly there, too?
…So, you only have Sarly on your mind?
Deleta: What’s that supposed to mean!?
…It’s nothing! Let’s go!
Okay then…

After they escaped, a mystery man entered the scene.

Well… We were invaded by the enemy…
How can this be… To think they would defeat Ion, too…
It’s fine. We’ll wait for our next opportunity.
Now that Pretty Berry isn’t here, we should proceed with caution…

Cass led Delta to the secret lair of Nyurokiller Z.

We didn’t have to run like that, did we!? No one’s after us.
Owwwww! What the heck was that for!?
It’s because you’re such a simple-minded idiot! It’s your fault we even had to run away, you know!?
But that’s no reason to hit me!
Hmph!
You’re unbelieva… Huh?
Ahh, so this is the red mushroom and green bamboo shoot Professor Planck has been inventing.
Time to find out what kind of effect they have.
Well, the red mushroom for me!

Next, I’m going to try this green bamboo shoot…
I feel invincible right now…

Feinne’s Notes:
A parody of the Super Mario starman theme plays about now.

I feel like there was a joke there, but I don’t really get it.

!?
!?
It just popped up out of nowhere!
Whoa, that was a surprise!
Why are you guys fooling around!?
We’re not fooling around! We’re doing research so we can get stronger!
What about you, Cass!? Who’s that guy supposed to be!?
That’s…?
Whoa, bring home a man, I didn’t think you had it in you… And to the secret base! Where we’re anti-love…
N-No! Don’t get the wrong idea here!
Cass is angry!
Oh, shut up!
There’s just no end when the two of you get started.
Y-You’re pretty friendly, I guess…
We’re not friendly at all!
Well, you certainly seem to be enjoying the conversation.
Does this look like we’re having fun!? We’re debating!

Anyway, they were very friendly for people who aren’t friends.

What the heck do you think you’re doing here!? I don’t remember permitting you to enter.
…Why do we need YOUR approval again?
That’s…?
That’s because I’m in charge of this lab.
Sarly!?

While Nyuroki was Sarly, Gennori was yet another person Delta had forgotten.

I’m Nelo.
You were a Nyurokiller Z!?
Well, I would think this proof is irrefutable.
So, Cass… Care to explain why Delta’s here?
I heard something explode in the distance a while ago.
So that’s why we had to face our enemy, and… Well… We ran away.
I see. So, you’ve caused some trouble already, then?
It seems that’s all you do these days.
I-I can’t say anything to that.
Well, there’s nothing we can do, I suppose. I should explain what’s going on before MFO converts you.
Yeah, please do. I can barely handle what’s going on here!
…You really need to think for yourself, more.
Sarly’s right…
…Yes, yes.
The “No Friends Allowed” law is the only law governing us.
Ever since its inception, this world has lived in peace.
By not letting people make friends, people can’t be swayed by emotions; thus, rational decisions are made.

A world without emotion…

…Emotions are… Evil? You’re not allowed to make friends? That’s some law…
But in this world I’ve worked so hard to create, they showed up.
Those guys who call themselves the MFO?
Yes, that stands for the Marriage and Friendly Organization.
They try to brainwash people with some worthless philosophy on how love is valuable.
You met one of them, too, have you not? One of their members…?
Ah, yeah…
Those villains continue to recruit and brainwash people into the MFO.
And so, we had to create the Nyurokiller Z to put an end to their efforts.
Thanks to the Nyurokiller Z, we’re able to maintain world peace.
In other words… You’re protecting the world from things like… Emotions and, well, friendship?
You’re quick to learn, aren’t you?
Well, yeah, I got that much. I just have no idea why you’re doing it.
Why we’re doing it? Isn’t it pretty obvious?
Well, how you explained it, yeah, but…
I mean, assuming Nyurokiller Z fights for justice, why is it composed of you guys?

That’s not as nice a situation as some might think.

You did?
So, thanks to this medicine, we’ve gained the strength to make a stand against the MFO.
You’re pretty amazing… You really made that?
I-It’s really not that amazing at all, given my talent…
Besides, this is something worth researching to me.
…It’s not that amazing.
Cass?
We have no idea what kind of effects the virus could have!
Hey Cass!? …What’s with her?

Cass ran off, and there’s only one thing to do in that situation.

Feinne’s Notes:
If you don’t know you should chase after her, these Dives will ruin you later because they get much more difficult than this.

…You going to chase her?
Couldn’t exactly leave her like that now, could I?
That’s all up to you. Not my decision to make.
Sarly… What are you…?
System Message: Obtained a thought gem, [Sarly Goes Too Far]!
You better go, quickly.

Delta also recognized when it was time to ask for some advice.

What is it?
Do you think this world really needs me? I mean… It seems like they’re doing just fine on their own.
True, you might have a point there…
So, why am I here again?
Don’t look at it that way. It might seem as though this world is revolving, but…
What I see is stagnation as a result of too much codependence.
Stagnation…? Codependence?
Yes, put simply… I think both parties are only doing what they are to prove that they are right…
In doing so, there is no opportunity for growth, and it will never create something new…

At any rate, I think it might be best for you to move about this world as you see fit.
Their words are superficial, and do not necessarily represent how they feel on the inside.

After that, he headed after Cass.

Delta…
Hey, what happened earlier?
…What? You mean in the lab?
Yeah. You seemed really strange, I mean…
…I just said what was on my mind.
But, Sarly invented this virus thing, right?
The Nyurokiller Virus.
Yeah, that. I mean, you’re a member of the Nyurokiller Z, after all.
I’m not doing this because I want to!
Huh!?
And I’m Urijou, too…
Well, I guess you did seem a little shy…
Obviously!
Why the heck are you getting mad at me!?

With more participants, it shouldn’t be a surprise that there might be several actual problems to consider.

What was that!?
While I was sleeping…
Then, you mean the same thing happened to Nelo?
I think it’s a safe bet. Although, that girl seems to be enjoying it.
Yeah, she did seem to be having fun with being Gennori.

…This isn’t fun.
H-Hey, I was just recalling events that happened!
…I just can’t accept it.
How could someone just inject a friend with an unknown virus…
Not to mention, why do I have to be Urijou!? It’s not fair that she gets to be Nyuroki!

Feinne’s Notes:
This choice, for once, is totally irrelevant.

I don’t really get how any of these things are supposed to be cute, so I’m not sure why she cared which she was.

No, that’s not what I meant… But… It would certainly help with motivation…
If I could be Nyuroki, then… Ugh, no. She loves Nyuroki too!
You let her take the spotlight after all, because you like her so much.
How the hell did you arrive at THAT conclusion!? It’s a virus. I can’t change it!
I bet she could come up with some drug to change it.
Want me to ask for you?
Stop it! Don’t do anything foolish or unnecessary!
Well if you’re just gonna stay angry then you should at least ask…
I-I never said I’d help her out if I got to be Nyuroki!
Though it might make the experience a little more pleasant…
What the hell are you getting at?
A-Anyway, I just can’t trust her!
She won’t tell you what she’s thinking. I just needed a warning before she injected it…
But she…
Did you talk to her about it?
Of course I have.
But she said it’s necessary for protecting this world…

Remember that, it’s important.

How can I possibly disagree with her?
Wait. The social database…?
It judges whether or not we’re headed in the right direction.
If the database says something’s correct… Then, it is?
Of course.
Even if you disagree with its decision?
…What are you trying to say?
Wh-What the-!?
This is… The MFO’s attacking! We need to go right away!
Hey, Cass!

A cliffhanger! Will Nyurokiller Z be able to defeat the MFO’s most powerful warrior? Would that even be a good thing if they did? We’ll just have to wait and see…

Next Time, Ar Nosurge: Friendship, Part 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The whole Nyuroki stuff is actually kind of morbidly hilarious if you read the Ciel Nosurge summary.

• Locked thread