Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
gently caress Duke?
This poll is closed.
gently caress Duke 94 11.39%
gently caress Duke 80 9.70%
gently caress Duke 79 9.58%
gently caress Duke 82 9.94%
gently caress Duke 85 10.30%
gently caress Duke 81 9.82%
gently caress Duke 78 9.45%
Total: 133 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Probably Magic posted:

I'll say this for him, he really is athletic and has good coordination in the air. But still, gently caress him.

More or less hated than Aaron Craft?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

SA2K posted:

More or less hated than Aaron Craft?

Allen actually has talent beyond just handchecking his opponents for forty minutes.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

MourningView posted:

Nah, Ryan is way worse. Izzo can be irritating but he wouldn't have pulled the poo poo after the game that Bo did, if only because he's a lot more media savy (which I suppose is what happens when you make a deep tournament run EVERY GODDAMN YEAR NO MATTER HOW BAD YOUR TEAM IS WHAT THE gently caress).

Izzo would have found a way to blame it on injuries.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

In mid-major news, VCU hires Chattanooga HC Will Wade to run his CHAOS defense

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Declan MacManus posted:

In mid-major news, VCU hires Chattanooga HC Will Wade to run his CHAOS defense

What are your thoughts on this hire?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Probably Magic posted:

What are your thoughts on this hire?

Really good. Provides continuity in terms of youth, scheme, coaching tree, and alliteration. He was the first assistant Shaka hired in 09 and was with the team until 2013. Don't know about him as a recruiter but X's and O's wise he has the credentials to step right in and keep the Rams about where they were. It's be dope if he kept Shaka's recruiting class together but I won't be surprised at transfers and decommits. I'd give him about two yeats to develop on that front.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
I'm a horrible person...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/sheriff-confirms-7-dead-after-small-plane-crash-in-illinois/ar-AAaxVHL

RIP

FrankeeFrankFrank fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 7, 2015

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
So the officials apparently never saw the angle everyone kept talking about on the out of bounds call according to John Adams (the outgoing head of NCAA officiating).

quote:

“We never saw, on our monitor, what everybody saw at home, if you can believe that... I saw it after they had left the monitor, and actually thought about, is it in my prerogative to get up, run over to the table, buzz the buzzer, and tell them to come back and look?”

Kidd-Liggit
Sep 6, 2011

You mean I have to go to Philly?
Honestly, that sounds like BS

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Cliff Alexander declared for the draft.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

quote:

"In today's world you have to adapt to what's happening. Throughout college, there are many kids who don't go even the whole four years because of opportunities, business opportunities that are available, and they're not just athletes. And so if the opportunity arises for a youngster to leave early from school, whether he's an athlete or she's an athlete or not, it's their opportunity to pursue it," Krzyzewski said. "So I think we're living in the dark ages when we say that it should only be done one way."

gently caress off Bo Ryan

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

gvibes posted:

Cliff Alexander declared for the draft.

I don't understand this... he is like tops a late, late late 1st rounder. Why go in this year?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Paul Zuvella posted:

I don't understand this... he is like tops a late, late late 1st rounder. Why go in this year?

Because he may not even be eligible to play in the NCAA depending on how that whole deal shakes out, and he was already really unhappy with his role/playing time at KU.

He's also the type of guy who should probably get out while he can still live on potential, because if he doesn't get better there are not going to be a lot of people interested in an older 6'7" PF with no offensive skill. The longer he stays the more glaring his flaws will become.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Kidd-Liggit posted:

Honestly, that sounds like BS

I think it was only either this or last year that refs in the NBA had access to the same angles that people at home did. I may be mixing up my leagues, though.

WillKane
Feb 18, 2015

Nothing new under the sun.
I didn't know anything about Grayson Allen before the game. I was very surprised by the level of his athleticism turning the corner to get to the rim. I didn't realize he had won the McDonald's AA dunk contest.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Adun posted:

gently caress off Bo Ryan

Like I said earlier, Bo Ryan has recruited guys who were projected to be one and done, he just hasn't done a good job landing them. He's not taking some moral stand, he's just way shittier at recruiting than Coach K. poo poo, lots of people had Dekker pegged as a guy who would jump early before his freshman year, but then he wasn't as good out of the box as a lot of people expected and wound up being a shaky shooter.

It's always dumb when people act like Cal or other people are doing something shady by recruiting lots of one and done guys. Those are super talented players who everyone in the country would love to have. The only thing Cal and now Coach K do differently is actually getting a significant number of them to commit on a regular basis.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 7, 2015

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I'm really interested to see how the guys from this Kentucky team fair in the pros, because my gut feeling is that Calipari did a completely poo poo job of coaching this tournament. Their loss may well go down as one of the most inexplicable in tournament history.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Simplex posted:

I'm really interested to see how the guys from this Kentucky team fair in the pros, because my gut feeling is that Calipari did a completely poo poo job of coaching this tournament. Their loss may well go down as one of the most inexplicable in tournament history.

Wisconsin is really good and it was a tight game. I don't think it's that damning. Most teams have one bad game here and there.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Simplex posted:

Age and experience matter more in basketball than some may think. Most teams that win championships in college and NBA are on the older end of the bell curve.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Simplex posted:

Wisconsin had just the right amount of advantages to have Kentucky at a disadvantage - Some length for defense, three-point shooting for offense, and slow ball that kept Kentucky from taking advantage of the transition game as much as they could. And it was a close game throughout. It's not that inexplicable.

As for Cliff, I have a feeling his parents are pretty broke if they were risking getting caught with the whole loan thing, so I figure it's mainly a money issue. Cliff was getting more time throughout the season leading up to his suspension, but he did get benched pretty quick at the least sign of foul trouble. And he's better off learning the NBA system than being molded by Self into a purely post player when in the pros that's a really bad limited skillset to have for his size.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

WillKane posted:

I didn't know anything about Grayson Allen before the game. I was very surprised by the level of his athleticism turning the corner to get to the rim. I didn't realize he had won the McDonald's AA dunk contest.
I liked the "least touted freshman"* during the game last night

* still an all american

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

MourningView posted:

Wisconsin is really good and it was a tight game. I don't think it's that damning. Most teams have one bad game here and there.

Notre Dame had no business being in that game either. Really the only game that Kentucky looked good other than the obligatory 1-16 seed demolition was when they were called out by West Virginia.

Watching Duke and Kentucky play Wisconsin highlighted the gap in coaching between Kryzewski and Calipari, as I think Wisconsin's game plan was actually pretty dumb. They didn't really shoot very well in either game but they crashed the offensive boards and got a ton of 2nd chance points. Kentucky never adjusted and just did a poor job all game of boxing out, whereas Duke made an adjustment and frankly abused Wisconsin in the second half, even though Okafor barely played and Winslow spent a lot of time on the bench in foul trouble. They were in the double bonus with something like 6 minutes left, and the rest of the game at that point was mostly a formality.

Kentucky is certainly a more experienced team than this Duke squad, and I would argue more talented.

Kidd-Liggit
Sep 6, 2011

Notre Dame was a top 10 team with 2 wins against Duke and had one of the best offenses in the country.

E: christ, Notre Dame and Wisconsin were two team that matched up well with Kentucky and all season long Wisconsin was considered a top 3 team with a real chance to knock UK off. Give me a loving break.

Kidd-Liggit fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 8, 2015

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Cliff wish I could say it was fun.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Perry Ellis will stay pending a decision by his department's tenure review committee.

33rd Degree Idiot
Sep 17, 2007

Scion of an ancestral procession of idiots stretching back to the Missing Link

uncurable mlady posted:

Everyone did 2 years ago, for at least one game.

Sigh

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I just realized that this coming season is Kansas' return trip to Viejas to play SDSU. Already pumped up.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kidd-Liggit posted:

Notre Dame was a top 10 team with 2 wins against Duke and had one of the best offenses in the country.

E: christ, Notre Dame and Wisconsin were two team that matched up well with Kentucky and all season long Wisconsin was considered a top 3 team with a real chance to knock UK off. Give me a loving break.

But Larry Brown said Kentucky was good enough to make the play offs in the NBA!

33rd Degree Idiot
Sep 17, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

I bet the 2012 team, as they are now, could make the playoffs playing in a lovely division.

I'm a pretty terrible gambler though.

Kidd-Liggit
Sep 6, 2011

I think they'd have no chance to win 10 games, much less make the playoffs.

Kidd-Liggit fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 8, 2015

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

MourningView posted:

It's always dumb when people act like Cal or other people are doing something shady by recruiting lots of one and done guys. Those are super talented players who everyone in the country would love to have. The only thing Cal and now Coach K do differently is actually getting a significant number of them to commit on a regular basis.

they also actually win games with them :smith:

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

SA2K posted:

I just realized that this coming season is Kansas' return trip to Viejas to play SDSU. Already pumped up.

I just looked and Arizona plays Michigan State on a loving aircraft carrier next season.

Hell yes.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

hobbesmaster posted:

Larry Brown also lost an Olympic game to Puerto Rico

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

SA2K posted:

And I will be there.

33rd Degree Idiot
Sep 17, 2007

Kidd-Liggit posted:

I think they'd have no chance to win 10 games, much less make the playoffs.

They would be led by (today's version of) Anthony Davis, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Darius Miller, Marquis Teague, Terrence Jones, Doron Lamb, and Kyle Wiltjer.

Not to mention Sam Malone and Brian Long, the x factors. :boom:

Let's say that all of those guys had two solid years experience in the NBA too. That's worth at least 20 games in the Eastern Conference, Atlantic division this year.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

kiimo posted:

And I will be there.

Me too!

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I just looked and Arizona plays Michigan State on a loving aircraft carrier next season.

Hell yes.

It really REALLY sucks playing on a dumb carrier

33rd Degree Idiot
Sep 17, 2007

Lessail posted:

they also actually win games with them :smith:

Correct me if I am wrong, but Calipari has had a pretty successful track record with this kind of thing over the past six seasons. Unless four final fours and a championship aren't considered a success anymore.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

SA2K posted:

Me too!

It really REALLY sucks playing on a dumb carrier

It sucks landing on one, too, if Top Gun on Nintendo is any indication.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

33rd Degree Idiot posted:

Correct me if I am wrong, but Calipari has had a pretty successful track record with this kind of thing over the past six seasons. Unless four final fours and a championship aren't considered a success anymore.

that's what i'm saying that they get the one and dones/those high recruits and win with them unlike some

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

33rd Degree Idiot
Sep 17, 2007

kiimo posted:

It sucks landing on one, too, if Top Gun on Nintendo is any indication.

I got it right once. Once. It was a source of pride for weeks.

Still not as hard as the speeder level on Battletoads though.

• Locked thread