Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bowlcutbarricade
Dec 27, 2014

i] remember my cousin showing me that numa numa video on newgrounds in 2004 then i forgot about it till 2008. pre 2004 i only saw it as a work thing and didn't care. i remember back then ads were loving everywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babua
Apr 29, 2009
I love this thread.

I remember saving up my allowance so I can pay my parents for the overnight download of 130mb pdf over IRC. It was the Werewolf: The Apocalypse core rulebook. I loved IRC ebook channels.

Also, Audiogalaxy anyone?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Zealee posted:

House of the rising son - HIM.mp3

Fixed.

The version I downloaded was actually by Muse.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

babua posted:

I love this thread.

I remember saving up my allowance so I can pay my parents for the overnight download of 130mb pdf over IRC. It was the Werewolf: The Apocalypse core rulebook. I loved IRC ebook channels.

I'll have to remember that business trick, if I ever have children: Have them pay me for downloads.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Enter Sandman on napster was probably the mp3 I pirated :cool:

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Looked for "Matrix" on kazaa, got this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0fzfV461Bg

kickascii
Mar 30, 2010
I was around 12 or 13 when I got a 300 baud modem for my commodore 64. Kid at school had access to pirated games aka “warez" and hooked me up with a list of BBS phone numbers. I finally successfully connected and got into filling out a registration form. I got stumped on the "ANSI or ASCII" question when suddenly the screen went blank and a message slowly scrolled across. It dawned on me that someone was typing the message out in real time and it terrified me for some reason. "you are the worst lamer i have ever seen. never call here again."

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

kickascii posted:

I was around 12 or 13 when I got a 300 baud modem for my commodore 64. Kid at school had access to pirated games aka “warez" and hooked me up with a list of BBS phone numbers. I finally successfully connected and got into filling out a registration form. I got stumped on the "ANSI or ASCII" question when suddenly the screen went blank and a message slowly scrolled across. It dawned on me that someone was typing the message out in real time and it terrified me for some reason. "you are the worst lamer i have ever seen. never call here again."

lol

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

hey guys bill clinton just told me about e free club and for $20 I can get all the latest gadgets, anyone able to use your mom's credit card?

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Onomarchus posted:

Unless I missed it, there was no reference to Hotline.

Right on man. Hotline combined with Ultima Online had our phone line in use constantly so much that we got a 2nd phone line :hellyeah:

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.
The only thing I ever downloaded off of Napster:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B69ciKJOcOo

The Windows ME edition background in the video is also a nice touch.

Also SnowblindFatal, I had Bonzi Buddy on our family's PC when I was 13 and it pissed off my parents all the time.

LemonLimeTime fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 23, 2015

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

LemonLimeTime posted:

COOKIE MONSTER DID IT ALL FOR THE COOKIE - "WEIRD" AL YANKOVIC.mp3

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

stringball posted:

hey guys bill clinton just told me about e free club and for $20 I can get all the latest gadgets, anyone able to use your mom's credit card?

Whenever a music file downloaded too quickly you'd know it'd be that amazing Bill Clinton impersonator saying "I did not have sex with that woman. I did however get free stuff at..." and then you'd slam your laptop shut in frustration.

If you were at a party and someone had their music on shuffle you could guarantee it'd come on loudly at some point in the night.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Gorson posted:

If you have never pirated anything through IRC, you are probably too young to get most of the jokes in the article.
I miss the SADCHUB.

Dr.Caligari posted:

That was wonderfully worded kaworu, and I fully agree. I obviously can't personally know what it was like to grow up in different time periods, but I feel like being born in 82 and coming to adulthood in roughly the 2000's was more surreal. It's like not only have I grown, but how virtually everything is done is different. It's not good or bad, just something that comes with rapid technology advancement. I also think it makes me feel older than I am. For instance if I would tell a teenager , or even someone in their early twenties about how it use to be normal to go all day without being in some form of contact with friends and family, outside of an emergency. I also grew up with the added layer of being in a small town that has grown into a lovely small-mid town. No one will probably ever again know the excitement of having their mom tell them to "grab a book, we are going to walmart" (which ,back in my day, was 45 minutes away).
I was born in 83 and had pretty much the exact same experience.

I recently read that people around our age have the best comprehension of computer technology. Older people reached adulthood without using computers; the "parseltongues" who come after us take too much for granted, not having seen the technology develop.

babua posted:

Pirating White Wolf books at 5k/s, hell yeah man

Weren't there like a dozen filesharing programs that popped up in the wake of Napster's death? I think I used Audiogalaxy in there somewhere.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 13, 2016

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I remember spending literally two months downloading a pirated copy of Tomb Raider 2 in 2MB chunks, only to find that my crappy computer couldn't run it.

It's not even that I wanted to play TR2. It was just, that was the only link in the pirated games text file I found that was still active.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Spent all of an afternoon downloading an anime music video set to some Disturbed song. I thought it was the most amazing thing ever.

take my life... please!
May 31, 2006

We make everything you need and you need everything we make.
StarWarsGangsterRap.mp3 by Wired Al Yankovich was my personal favorite.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Spent all of an afternoon downloading an anime music video set to some Disturbed song. I thought it was the most amazing thing ever.

FFVIII and linkin park

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

My best friend had a T1 direct line to his house in 1999. So many nights of pumping Big Tymers off Napster, Dominos online ordering, Mountain Dew, and bootloader Dreamcast discs. It was a special time.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
I don't know what was worse: Downloading The Phantom Menace and it turning out to be Zoolander, downloading The Phantom Menace and it turning out to be a lemonparty-like orgy, or downloading The Phantom Menace and it turning out to be The Phantom Menace.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

You know it was The Phantom Menace being The Phantom Menace, come on

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
When I was about seven I installed a bunch of viruses to all of the work computers at my dad's work because I thought he didn't know anything about computers and I was helping him by downloading antivirus programs.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
THIS IS DJ CLUE WITH THE REMIX!

Man, gently caress DJ Clue and those garbage as songs that weren't even real remixes.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
Team Fortress. 1. No hats. More conc jump.

Napster a cd burner and newly minted "Cable Internet" poo poo was off the chain.

Overclock a 486 to play Starcraft.

I just checked my music folder, which is still intact from those days, broken playlists of alblums I used to burn for 10$/pop. Had to download each song indivuidually and piece together the alblum.

Also emule was the poo poo/is poo poo

lol if you weren't downloading warez through cracks.am

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

BlueBlazer posted:

Also emule was the poo poo/is poo poo

Man, that's something that hasn't crossed my mind in like a decade.

Riotgrrill
Sep 3, 2004

only gay eskimo - funny - tenacious d - kazaawarez

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Sg4bEbm_Oc

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
One time I pirated a game, made a shortcut of all the files, and then put the shortcuts on a floppy and thought the entire game was on it.

That lasted like a day.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

BlueBlazer posted:

Overclock a 486 to play Starcraft.

I always felt so baller when I could click "full install to hard drive - maximum disk space" with our 486 in a game because I rocked a massive quantum fireball 4.3gb or so. I miss (not) the days when the .# was worth mentioning.

And this after my first computer I officially owned, a 386, which had no hard drive but we played qbasic games booting from a win 98 floppy. Gorillas and nibbles owned.

Also lots and lots of ultima online over dialup...and hotline dc++ and kazaalite.

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 20, 2016

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Booting up Gamespy arcade to play Commandos 2 online with pubs was fun. Quake 3 arena and Unreal tournament also took a good chunk of my life.

Also going on Geocities/Angelfire websites to look at Counterstrike skins.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

cmndstab posted:

Google existed in 99, it was just an absolute pile of poo poo before they invented AdWords and brought in a gazillion dollars to run their crazy Markov Chain search engine technology.

I remember a friend recommending that I use Google when research a project at University in 2001 and telling him that Google was rubbish, before trying it again and realising it had improved massively.

The best search engine in the late 90s was Ask Jeeves. I can search 8+ search engines at once? Sorcery!

infoseek was much better than Ask Jeeves, iirc

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

That cover of Gin and Juice is not by the fictional Soggy Bottom Boys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4hGSR5njZE

fake edit: Eskimos do not have tribes

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

This was a fun article and thread to read. I remember downloading Cold's Year of the Spider and it was just ten minutes of the refrain to Suffocate looped over and over

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
So many "crazy train"s dl'd

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Oh sweet limewire finished downloading my music

*bill Clinton voice* my fellow Americans I would like to remind you that I did not have sexual relations with that woman

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
One can hardly talk about pirating Weird Al music without mentioning all the songs mistakenly labeled as his? "Barney's On Fire", "The Vagina Song", and so forth.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

LemonLimeTime posted:

That's the Mac OS X 10.3 "Panther" default wallpaper

Crinklepouch
May 30, 2016

Its a good day to do what has to be done by me and help my brother to defeat the enemys.
Love the picture of Jeff K

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Chairman Capone posted:

Man, that's something that hasn't crossed my mind in like a decade.

As late as january this year, the guest internet sign-in page at one of my previous jobs specifically forbade emule by name.

In retrospect, that actually says a lot about the company.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
I liked in the later years when the music labels would flood kazaa with fake files where you would either catch the 20 min long/30 second long file or would end up playing super loud static.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Arkanomen posted:

I liked in the later years when the music labels would flood kazaa with fake files where you would either catch the 20 min long/30 second long file or would end up playing super loud static.

Didn't that happen after it was all over? People had begun to move in massive numbers to torrents?

(Also people just avoided it by forming groups and sharing)

• Locked thread