Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

AnacondaHL posted:

the rest:

bonus:

drat, ADTRW used to be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Are you the last holdout of those album avatars?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

AnacondaHL posted:

Any other questions?

What is Tsuraya talking about in the movie when she asks Mikuru if she has a middle-aged stalker or athlete's foot? Is there some reference I don't get or is it just that Mikuru looks depressed? Maybe Tsuraya doesn't know she's being filmed?

What was the deal with (non-balloon dog) Kimidori? Kyon thinks that she might've been something Yuki did but so far as I know she's never explained and it never comes up again.

Is it me or is the timeline impossibly hosed? I mean it's not going to bother me or anything but I don't even think it's possible to straighten it out by the end of Disappearance.

What's all that stuff being muttered when Yuki is reading her book in Someday in the Rain? Random stuff overheard from other clubs?

These are my Haruhi questions, thank you for your help

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Idk what you're talking about specifically in the first one, could just be wonky fansubs. And yes, the background noise in someday in the rain are japanese vocal exercises by a neighboring club.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

We used to be proud to love anime. Now we hide our love of anime.

shameful.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I don't really get the Haruhi continuity. If I watched the first season, half of Haruhi-chan, and nothing else, would I understand this?

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

StandardVC10 posted:

I don't really get the Haruhi continuity. If I watched the first season, half of Haruhi-chan, and nothing else, would I understand this?

You should watch the movie, it's really good.

This also branches off from the movie in a really obvious way.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

StandardVC10 posted:

Unless you're able to extract everything out of Yuki's personality from episode 14, probably no.

Watch the Disappearance movie, it's good and is the minimal pre-req to this show.

Also alcohol and/or a taste for silly romcoms.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Zas posted:

I haven't seen a show with a better understanding of light and space, and that's just the surface. Haruhi is a classic and I'm really sorry for everyone who can't see it.

Part of it may be because of KyoAni's own involvement where everything is lovingly detailed and done to near perfection. The writing is another matter since it's an adaptation and while it makes for a cool story, reading it makes it sound like another average LN plot. What makes it go from mediocre to legendary is the directorial decisions (Ishihara's claims to fame also include Nichijou, Kanon, Clannad, Chuunibyou and Euphonium which is airing now) and the animation (which is one of the things that launched KyoAni to it's new reputation of quality animation).

If Satelight can make Haruhi their own with their own style, more power to them, but this is the first anime for the director to helm so it's definitely up in the air as to if it will do good. The character designer and chief animation director seems to have good experience so the change in character models is definitely odd but likely a personal choice.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

AnacondaHL posted:

the rest:

bonus:

Great, I've just discovered it's possible to be nostalgic for a loving banner ad.

I had actually forgotten just how nuts people went for Haruhi back in the day.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Apr 9, 2015

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Agronox posted:

What was the deal with (non-balloon dog) Kimidori? Kyon thinks that she might've been something Yuki did but so far as I know she's never explained and it never comes up again.
Kimidori is a humanoid interface like Nagato and Asakura, and represents a neutral faction of the Data Overmind.

quote:

Is it me or is the timeline impossibly hosed? I mean it's not going to bother me or anything but I don't even think it's possible to straighten it out by the end of Disappearance.
Do you mean the John Smith stuff? I think it all works out, as long as you're fine with causality loops.

The real mystery is what Kyon's actual name is.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Great, I've just discovered it's possible to be nostalgic for a loving banner ad.

I had actually forgotten just how nuts people went for Haruhi back in the day.

I was only just getting into online anime when Haruhi aired but it there's a reason this exists: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xx4tszZ-DE

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

http://b.bngi-channel.jp/psp-haruhi/swf/haruhi_swf_sample/haruhi512/haruhi512.swf

kater
Nov 16, 2010

The uh. The opening song is not three minutes long. Or rather the animated part isn't. Did that prison come up with it's own choreography for its Haruhi dance?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Paracelsus posted:

Kimidori is a humanoid interface like Nagato and Asakura, and represents a neutral faction of the Data Overmind.
Do you mean the John Smith stuff? I think it all works out, as long as you're fine with causality loops.

The real mystery is what Kyon's actual name is.

I thought Kyon didn't have an actual name. He went back in time and met Haruhi when she was in middle school, told her that his name was Kyon and he went to whatever high school. So Haruhi goes to that high school because of that meeting, and sure enough, there's Kyon. There's nothing more to him than what there was when he met Haruhi in the past, because Haruhi created him based on that meeting. It's a Terminator-style closed loop.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

I thought Kyon didn't have an actual name. He went back in time and met Haruhi when she was in middle school, told her that his name was Kyon and he went to whatever high school. So Haruhi goes to that high school because of that meeting, and sure enough, there's Kyon. There's nothing more to him than what there was when he met Haruhi in the past, because Haruhi created him based on that meeting. It's a Terminator-style closed loop.

Kyon has a real name, and whatever it is it's apparently pretty regal sounding.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

He told her his name was John Smith.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

boom boom boom posted:

Kyon was a nickname his sister gave him iirc. I think based on where he's seated people sherlocked out that he's probably named after the author.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Mercury Crusader posted:

Are you the last holdout of those album avatars?
I think I saw another one a couple of months ago, but that's about it (and mine's more due to :effort: than anything else).

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

kater posted:

The uh. The opening song is not three minutes long. Or rather the animated part isn't. Did that prison come up with it's own choreography for its Haruhi dance?

Look at how wrong this motherfucker is

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

It was a golden time, 3 years from 2006 to 2009. :) Showed up before TTGL did, lasted a year after.

AnacondaHL posted:

the rest:

bonus:

And many others that were parodies. :D

WillieWestwood fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Apr 10, 2015

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

The next episode of this show has aired. A new character has been introduced.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Don't leave us in the dark, who is it?

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I'll give you three guesses and the first five don't count.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

The girl from Nintendo Kid's avatar.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

AnacondaHL posted:

The next episode of this show has aired. A new character has been introduced.

All right, FINE, I'll keep watching. But I prefer cheap rear end battles to love comedy ones and I suspect I'm going to be disappointed.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

it's pikachu

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It was me Kyon! It was me Allll along!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Agronox posted:

All right, FINE, I'll keep watching. But I prefer cheap rear end battles to love comedy ones and I suspect I'm going to be disappointed.

if Haruhi doesn't win, riot

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
How many episodes tell Kyon and Yuki make out, asking for a friend.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

infinity

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

ElBrak posted:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol at anime people actually kissing even though they obviously like each other

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Sakurazuka posted:

lol at anime people actually kissing even though they obviously like each other

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

This seems dangerous.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ElBrak posted:

They appear to go in for a kiss and bump heads at the end of Volume 8 so probably the OVA.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
So guys, I have this theory

Funimation bought the rights to the main Haruhi series, right? And yet they haven't released any new DVDs for it, which is presumably the thing you'd want to do if you bought a license.

SO,

I think the only reason they haven't announced a new DVD release is because they're waiting for the upcoming official announcement of Haruhi season 3.

H how about that?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Second episode was better than the first. Ryoko opening and closing the window to admire the snow got a genuine laugh out of me.

I'm curious to see what happens with this new character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Agronox posted:

Second episode was better than the first. Ryoko opening and closing the window to admire the snow got a genuine laugh out of me.

There's going to be quite a few gems to be watched as the season progresses. The episodes focusing on Kyon and Yuki's relationship are probably going to be people's "endless eight" of the season. Episode 4 is almost definitely Valentines Day, but right after that it becomes Snowy Mountain.

• Locked thread