Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Haruhi!!!! Why must you torment poor Nagato! At least this time it's unintentional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I feel like I shouldn't really enjoy this show, but I do.

The marginalization of Yuki continues! There were some good jokes in here but, stepping back, the funniest part is how Nagato goes through this elaborate chocolate-marking process and, of course, Haruhi wins out just by jumping in a river and buying poo poo from a vending machine.

Edit: I assume next week we get the explanation from Nagato: uh, it was for Itsuki! That oughta be good.

Agronox fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 25, 2015

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The latest Japanese release of Yuki Nagato Chan came out today. Yuki is still sick but we get an image of Puyo Melancholy Haruhi dragging Kyon around.
http://comic-walker.com/contents/detail/KDCW_KS02000002010000_68/

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Ouch. :ohdear:

Dan7el posted:

I typically try to watch at least one episode of new shows each season, unless I know before hand that the show will be poo poo. For example, Highschool DxD, no. I watched about 1 minute of Show By Rock, skipping ahead to see that it was, in fact, as awful as expected.

Show By Rock is great, you don't know what you're talking about!

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think there were a couple anime original bits in there. They nabbed a chapter from Volume 3, but at first I had thought that was original as well. They fleshed out a couple of scenes, but probably the most interesting change is the addition of John Smith to Haruhi's flashback. Is it a sign of something more to come?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Do we care about spoiler tags? I'll put them up just to be safe.

So how's it supposed to work in this world line? It's YOUNG Kyon who somehow helps Haruhi three years ago? It doesn't seem like he remembers her, but maybe she remembers him? Maybe we'll get flashbacks but it doesn't make much sense. At least not yet.

Also: there weren't too many laughs in this episode, but there were some nice little character moments. I like that Asakura still gets violently angry whenever she sees Yuki threatened in some way. Haruhi, unwilling to admit her crush and kind of fading to the background is unexpected but interesting.

I really didn't like the art style at first but it's grown on me.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Agronox posted:

So how's it supposed to work in this world line? It's YOUNG Kyon who somehow helps Haruhi three years ago? It doesn't seem like he remembers her, but maybe she remembers him? Maybe we'll get flashbacks but it doesn't make much sense. At least not yet.

Yeah, it's all kinda muddled. I have no idea why Kyon would still be doing the John Smith thing if he wasn't time travelling. Maybe he just didn't want his name associated with trespassing?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Haruhi and Ryouko hanging out and conversing is an unexpected and welcome bonus beyond this show's low expectations.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Ryouko might be the MVP of this so far. Though I guess it's nice to see a Haruhi that isn't a complete jerk too.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

That was really boring and annoying to watch. I'm out.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
Okay, so, uh... anyone else really want Haruhi to get Kyon? I mean, sheesh, Yuki is just such a lovely character, she's actually lost development. Haruhi, meanwhile, has developed from the original show in that in this universe she doesn't have powers and therefore a gang to satisfy her every need— and thus she's forced to grow as a person. She's nicer and more overtly interested in Kyon...and they're already spending more romantic moments together.

It's going to kill me when Kyon picks Yuki in this lovely spinoff.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Okay, so, uh... anyone else really want Haruhi to get Kyon? I mean, sheesh, Yuki is just such a lovely character, she's actually lost development. Haruhi, meanwhile, has developed from the original show in that in this universe she doesn't have powers and therefore a gang to satisfy her every need— and thus she's forced to grow as a person. She's nicer and more overtly interested in Kyon...and they're already spending more romantic moments together.

I haven't watched any of the show, but I recall this being my general line of thought from the manga.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

The Unholy Ghost posted:

It's Yuki. Of course she's going to lose out to Haruhi, because she can never have nice things. This is assuming that the entire universe doesn't get murdered in the last episode. It seems implied that this universe is more of a shell than the original Haruhi verse- Yuki in particular seems to be fashioned as an archetype as opposed to a person, and it wouldn't surprise me if that were deliberate.

As I said before, I watch Haruhi for the other characters, because I in fact dislike her very much, but there is one thing you have to remember and respect about Haruhi: she always gets what she wants. Guess what she wants?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Okay, so, uh... anyone else really want Haruhi to get Kyon?

since the original series, yes

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
When's the universe where Kyon ends up with Tsuruya supposed to appear? :nyoron:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

It's surprising to stumble upon this thread, because I actually thought about Haruhi last week or so.
The original show was the first real non Toonami show I watched back in highschool on recommendation of a friend.

I always liked the idea and effect put into Endless8, and I liked s2 and the movie. so I'm going to give this a shot since a few pages back I read why there won't ever be an s3. :v:

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

Zedd posted:

It's surprising to stumble upon this thread, because I actually thought about Haruhi last week or so.
The original show was the first real non Toonami show I watched back in highschool on recommendation of a friend.

I always liked the idea and effect put into Endless8, and I liked s2 and the movie. so I'm going to give this a shot since a few pages back I read why there won't ever be an s3. :v:

Well it's not like there won't ever be one... all we really need is Tanigawa to get off his rear end and write more books.

(For anyone unfamiliar with the full problem...)

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Zedd posted:

you're better off watching something else dude

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Davincie posted:

you're better off watching something else dude
No doubt, but that didn't stop me from watching (probably) even worse shows.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The Unholy Ghost posted:

haruhi is a harem show, kyon will never pick anyone, don't worry

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

He already picked Haruhi.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

He already picked Haruhi.

This, Mikuru will gently caress off to her own time anyway and Yuki is a robot

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

This, Mikuru will gently caress off to her own time anyway and Yuki is a robot

what about itsuki

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

If he's smart, Kyon will pick Ryouko Asakura. He might not have a choice though, if Haruhi actually does choose him first. I suspect what icantfindaname said is what will actually happen, though.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!
Nice touch, having Claire de Lune play during the key moment. :)

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
"Computer Club" "Club Members Wanted"
"Brass Band" "Go Club"

Gee, guess who showed up again! With a permanent permission slip no less.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Nagato, after reading this thread

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Plot summary of this episode: Romantic misunderstandings! Haruhi plots a Literature Club coup! Nothing really happens!

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

So uh, that desk and the Executive President pyramid weren't in the manga.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Reality is starting to fix itself.

Love how in ep. 5 Haruhi gives generic chocolate to both Kyon and Itsuki, the on White day Kyon gives a generic present to her an Nagato.

Those two are more similar to each other than they'd like to admit :v:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't put it past them to try something after the mountain arc, when Nagato is supposed to be old Nagato with Nagaturkey's memories. They could have her actually get her memories back and fix everything, but it's probably not going to happen. They'll end with the School Festival arc and possibly have an anime original ending episode.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This week was a very fun episode

Hot Springs episode next week. Yuki getting run over by a car in 2.

E: Spoiled

Dehry fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 17, 2015

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Can you put stuff like that in a spoiler block? This probably isn't a show where plot is going to matter too much but I'd still rather not have known.

I liked the "safe childbirth" gag this week.

Kind of odd how Haruhi is written to be much more chill here than in TOS. Maybe having Asakura and Tsuraya around keeps her from being an rear end in a top hat to Mikuru.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
This episode really pulled one over on me with Kyon's sisterless duffel bag. I actually got a little worried when he put it in a locker.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I am not caught up on the newest ep yet due to me and my friends' anime watch Thursday nights but Yuki is kind of a weird show. I think she is definitely cute and all but that doofy nerd Yuki is not very good at starring in a series of her own. Or maybe it just seems weird still to have a Haruhi series without the supernatural bits present. Like I don't hate the show but when it's sandwiched in the same block as Shirobako and Sound Euphonium, it really gets lost in the shuffle.

I'm hoping something will help it find its traction to make me give it a little more credit haha.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Good Listener posted:

I am not caught up on the newest ep yet due to me and my friends' anime watch Thursday nights but Yuki is kind of a weird show. I think she is definitely cute and all but that doofy nerd Yuki is not very good at starring in a series of her own. Or maybe it just seems weird still to have a Haruhi series without the supernatural bits present. Like I don't hate the show but when it's sandwiched in the same block as Shirobako and Sound Euphonium, it really gets lost in the shuffle.

I'm hoping something will help it find its traction to make me give it a little more credit haha.

The supernatural bits are indirectly present, via the occasional "flashback memories" to events in the original series timeline.

Taken at face value this series is an incredibly boring and unimaginative romcom. It assumes you read between the lines to enjoy, i.e. everything you do see is happening because of the things you don't see. Or some people just enjoy eyeroll inducing hijinks.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

AnacondaHL posted:

Or some people just enjoy eyeroll inducing hijinks.

Yeah, what of it? :colbert:

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

AnacondaHL posted:

The supernatural bits are indirectly present, via the occasional "flashback memories" to events in the original series timeline.

Taken at face value this series is an incredibly boring and unimaginative romcom. It assumes you read between the lines to enjoy, i.e. everything you do see is happening because of the things you don't see. Or some people just enjoy eyeroll inducing hijinks.

This adds up to me. I will say I like it better than loving endless eight. God drat do I hate endless eight. I get what they were going for with it but you didn't need to waste 8 episodes. You really didn't.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
I liked endless eight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

HiipFire posted:

I liked endless eight

It's probably the best television of the Noughties.

• Locked thread