Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Endless Eight was a masterstroke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Endless Eight was art. They should have that poo poo playing on loop in the Museum of the Moving Image.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Yea I can never hate Endless eight because I was one of the first if not the first person on this forum to unironically guess that the adaptation would not end in 3 episodes, the rest is schadenfreude history.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Boy are you guys in for a treat in about a month.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

Endless Eight was a masterstroke.

It was a stroke alright! :pervert:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dehry posted:

Boy are you guys in for a treat in about a month.

Does this spin off have an Endless Eight as well? That would be odd

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Masturbatorystroke is more like. Endless Eight basically soured me on the show in general until the movie. And even then I was kinda like...man what if they DIDN'T do that. If there is a Yuki-chan endless eight holy shiiit.
Unless it's some kind of Endless Eight Minutes...

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
I'd enjoy another endless eight

maybe shorten it to like 4 episodes next time tho

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I skipped the majority of Endless Eight like a sane person and I still didn't like it.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I feel that Endless Eight is one of those things that can only be properly experienced at a certain point in time, and that time was as they came out. The initial shock when the second episode ended and it was the same loving thing as the first, the fading certainty that this time, for sure, would be the last, the dawning realization that they really were going to do it eight times, the gradual acceptance where I guess you just pay attention to their changing outfits?, and the vast relief when it actually ended.

I don't know that I liked it, but I respect it immensely.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I thought it would have been better if they kept up the slow thematic decent into madness, but it looks like the episodes were instead independently directed and smashed together.

If I were to re-watch it, I'd go 1, 3, 5, 6, 2, 4, 7, 8. (or just cut 3, 5, and 6, maybe 7 I forgot).

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Yeah it was pretty terrible but the last ten minutes of 8 are some of my favorite scenes in the whole series.

I give Kyoani some credit for having the balls to do it but still... 3-4 eps would've been enough.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It should've been the entire season

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

It should've been the entire season

Having an entire series that's just about a single event but from multiple different perspectives would actually be really cool

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

Having an entire series that's just about a single event but from multiple different perspectives would actually be really cool

It's not a tv show but this is the plot of Rashomon and many movies that have attempted a similar style

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

Xelkelvos posted:

agreed

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Does this spin off have an Endless Eight as well? That would be odd

They meet a year later in this universe. A bunch of their activities are going to be familiar, but chapter 39 starts with a call back to the last day of the endless 8 cycle, complete with a big 8 on the page.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Endless Eight is the George W. Bush of anime.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Because of... all the different swimsuits?

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Command Ant posted:

Endless Eight is the George W. Bush of anime.

4 more eps! 4 more eps!

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Fun little nod, Haruhi mentions it's the 15,498th ping-pong meet, which is the number revealed by Yuki when she admits the Endless Eight loops are happening.

kickascii
Mar 30, 2010
I don't watch a ton of anime, but I enjoyed Haruhi and was looking forward to Endless 8. I watch anime in a dumb way, I download it, and then I run it through a converter so it works on my older video player that can't play mkvs that plugs into my tv. Every week, I would download the episode of endless 8, convert it, transfer it over to my thumb drive, go downstairs, and sit in front of my tv and watch it, just staring at the screen, getting the gently caress trolled out of me.

I just watched the first episode of this, and it's not my bag at all. Is it just a fan fiction rom com? Does anything interesting start to happen with this alternate reality or am I wasting my time?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
It becomes everything we loved about the first season of Haruhi and isn't at all a boring romcom featuring a moeblob with all personality stripped away.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
i haven't seen or read any of the haruhi series and entirely based off of the gifs in the op i want to watch this

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

It becomes everything we loved about the first season of Haruhi and isn't at all a boring romcom featuring a moeblob with all personality stripped away.

Theres like half a dozen posts about how great Endless Eight was and then this and I can't tell what sarcasm is anymore.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

I was completely 100% serious about how great Endless Eight was.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

I was completely 100% serious about how great Endless Eight was.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I can respect and appreciate Endless Eight from an artistic position and just how ballsy it was and how it intensified a dumb little story into a significant arc that acts as a prelude into Disappearance; however, as a product that you have to maybe purchase and watch in sequence - especially at the time where you got nothing but that for two months, and glancing at the theoretical episode list that gave an idea of all the published stories that could be adapted gradually dwindle and shrink smaller and smaller - it's a bunch of bullshit.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

kickascii posted:

I don't watch a ton of anime, but I enjoyed Haruhi and was looking forward to Endless 8. I watch anime in a dumb way, I download it, and then I run it through a converter so it works on my older video player that can't play mkvs that plugs into my tv. Every week, I would download the episode of endless 8, convert it, transfer it over to my thumb drive, go downstairs, and sit in front of my tv and watch it, just staring at the screen, getting the gently caress trolled out of me.

I just watched the first episode of this, and it's not my bag at all. Is it just a fan fiction rom com? Does anything interesting start to happen with this alternate reality or am I wasting my time?

Owned

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wish I could have seen Endless Eight live. As it is, the only way I've experienced it is watching all 8 episodes in at once without pauses, which I've done 3 times. It's still excellent

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Apart from Kyon's karaoke, the eyeroll inducing hijinks were pretty bad this episode. Should've given up earlier but I'm about to now.

Also, kinda weird how they changed up Koizumi in this series. He went from acting as a sycophant to Haruhi but actually having a brain in TOS to being pretty much outright pathetic here.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

I wish I could have seen Endless Eight live. As it is, the only way I've experienced it is watching all 8 episodes in at once without pauses, which I've done 3 times. It's still excellent

At the end of the first episode everyone thought "Oh, it's going to be a two parter, neat."
At the end of the second it was "Oh, it's like a trilogy, neat idea."
At the end of the third it kinda devolved into "There's no way it's going to be 8, 4 is divisible by 8 it has to end next week surely." But by that point the penny was dropping.

From then on I think most were resigned to their fate while some clinged to the pointless hope that a string of episodes called Endless Eight could last anything less than 8 episodes. People kept watching but knowing you were halfway through and that you wouldn't get any new episodes until mid August (EE started mid June) and that series 2 of Haruhi technically only has 7 unique episodes it's easy to get salty as gently caress.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I watched up to episode 3, realized what was happening and skipped to 8, back when it was airing.

I made the right decision.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

TheKingofSprings posted:

I watched up to episode 3, realized what was happening and skipped to 8, back when it was airing.

I made the right decision.
4 was actually one of the more interesting ones, with a very different and much more ominous tone.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
After the third one I stopped watching them as they came out and just checked the thread each week to see if it ended yet. The fan explosions across the internet were pretty funny to read, though.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Szmitten posted:

At the end of the first episode everyone thought "Oh, it's going to be a two parter, neat."
At the end of the second it was "Oh, it's like a trilogy, neat idea."
At the end of the third it kinda devolved into "There's no way it's going to be 8, 4 is divisible by 8 it has to end next week surely." But by that point the penny was dropping.

From then on I think most were resigned to their fate while some clinged to the pointless hope that a string of episodes called Endless Eight could last anything less than 8 episodes. People kept watching but knowing you were halfway through and that you wouldn't get any new episodes until mid August (EE started mid June) and that series 2 of Haruhi technically only has 7 unique episodes it's easy to get salty as gently caress.

This was my experience with it as well, and then felt like I was immersed in it. Kind of like looking at a favorite movie from the time it hits first-run theaters to the time it leaves the discount theaters for the last time. Something to live through once, but not again.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

WillieWestwood posted:

Something to live through once, but not again.

Someone with archives go look for the season 2 thread. (Unless I'm thinking of a different site entirely and/or it's not as retrospectively hilarious as I imagine)

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
It's pretty funny. There was someone trying to figure out which of the LN stories would map to the episodes. I think when he started he was excited that he'd see Disappearance, and IIRC he had E8 budgeted at 2 episodes. That slipped to 3, then 4, then 5, then he lost his mind.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
Reading the season 2 thread is pretty hilarious especially since I enjoyed it cause I'm mentally damaged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
And now, for something completely different.

• Locked thread