Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Milwaukee arena pics look terrible. How could they go so far away from the Brutalist wet dream which is the Bradley Center

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Lockback posted:

wtf?

Pero Antic charged with menacing

That's just his regular face, officer.

quote:

The Warriors have a system of assigning rookies to veteran teammates, who serve as mentors. Mark Jackson, the Warriors coach when Green was drafted, linked the rookie with Jeremy Tyler, who had joined the team a year earlier in 2011. In many ways, Tyler and Green were opposites. Tyler, a 6-10 center, had been a basketball prodigy, ranked near the top of his recruiting class since he was in his early teens. Tyler skipped not only college, but also his senior year of high school to play two unfulfilling seasons overseas. Even though Green was a rookie in 2012-13, he was still older than Tyler.

Mark Jackson, born leader. And “Cool story, Glenn“ never fails to make me smile.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 8, 2015

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Man I really hope Pero and Thabo were just trying to be there for their friend or something and not just going after cops.

Horford and Milsap should stay the gently caress home and play video games or something.

HOTLANTA MAN fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 8, 2015

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Copeland had to have expected to get cut if he's at the club 4 AM on a game day

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

It's been awhile since we had a :lol: Kings story
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12644960/vlade-divac-emerges-sacramento-kings-lead-voice

quote:

Vlade Divac has quietly emerged as the new lead voice of the Sacramento Kings' front office, according to league sources.

‎Sources told ESPN.com ‎that Divac, who was recently hired by the Kings under the seemingly broad title of vice president of basketball and franchise operations, is indeed regarded as the team's top basketball official by owner Vivek Ranadive after months of turbulence in Sacramento.

The Kings have yet to formally announce their new power structure, but sources say that Divac has supplanted both general manager Pete D'Alessandro and former Kings adviser Chris Mullin -- who just jumped to the college game as the new coach at alma mater St. John's -- as Sacramento's lead basketball decision-maker.

The future of D'Alessandro in Sacramento, especially after the departure of his closest ally in the organization in Mullin, is unclear. Sources say, however, that the Kings have already launched a search to add another front-line basketball executive to work alongside Divac whether D'Alessandro stays or departs.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Blinkman987 posted:

Pringles can't get a job because his PHX teams were middle of the pack defensively but that was before people understood pace.

This isn't true . . . he's still bad defensively even when you adjust for pace.

Like he did finish middle of the pack pace adjusted for the best Phoenix teams. But like, he finishes bottom 3 almost every year of his career besides that.

Rick fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 8, 2015

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Illinois Smith posted:

Anyone with archives in here nice enough to put up some of hunter's greatest hits? All I clearly remember is an amazing series preview where he determined that the 2010 Suns had a clear advantage over the Kobe / Pau / Bynum / Odom Lakers at every position.

It's impossible to play literally zero defense

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Just got a survey request from the league, and it looks like they're at least considering changes to the stuff everyone hates about League Pass

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It's hard to complain too much about twelve bucks for what you get but it sucks that they're gonna charge for something that's free now (or at least considering it).

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Rick posted:

It's hard to complain too much about twelve bucks for what you get but it sucks that they're gonna charge for something that's free now (or at least considering it).

The NBA TV stuff? That doesn't come with the digital subscription right now, as far as I'm aware.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
This guy did an adjusted plus minus for coaches, which takes into account the players he had, and D'Antoni comes out at +1.3 on offense (which is 0.8 standard deviations above the mean) and -1.1 on defense (which is 0.4 SDs below the mean), which I think matches most people's overall impression of his career.

Trivia:

There is a coach whose offense is 3.3 SDs below the mean, which should probably not happen in a sample of 118. Who is he? (the data I think goes back into the 90s).

Which coach has the best offensive rating? Never mind, it's Hornacek. The killer is this: which coaches have the 2nd best offensive rating? It's a tie. I would never have guess one, and the other I would have put substantial money on being among the worst.

Best defenses are boring: Skiles, Thibodeau, SVG, Fratello. Worst defenses also boring, Kenny Natt, Frank Hamblen, Bob Weiss, Mike Dunlap.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Re: League Pass.

As long as they make me subscribe to Cable in order to use League Pass they won't get any money from me. I would like to purchase their product and get it on broadband to whatever device, but I don't want to pay $70 per month for cable on top of that price when it's the only thing I want to watch.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

It's odd how terribly it ranks Kidd and Budenholzer.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The Locator posted:

Re: League Pass.

As long as they make me subscribe to Cable in order to use League Pass they won't get any money from me. I would like to purchase their product and get it on broadband to whatever device, but I don't want to pay $70 per month for cable on top of that price when it's the only thing I want to watch.

You can already do this

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I stopped subscribing because I was getting blacked out on all Lakers games last season despite living in the Bay Area. Warriors games all came through, but no Lakers games.

EDIT: They've had league pass broadband since atleast 2008, and probably earlier.

Speaking of TV, they do need to force the companies to actually broadcast the games in HD. During the trial period, I saw that there was only one HD feed for all of the league pass games, and everything else was in SD. What the gently caress, Comcast?

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 8, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

morestuff posted:

You can already do this

You have to use a VPN or something? Because when I tried it they asked for my cable company and wouldn't let me get anything without that information.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

The Glumslinger posted:

I stopped subscribing because I was getting blacked out on all Lakers games last season despite living in the Bay Area. Warriors games all came through, but no Lakers games.

In Austin I was getting blacked out from Bulls games at my apartment. When I visit my hometown, I get blacked out from the Mavs, Spurs, Rockets, and Pelicans. Only the Mavs games are on local tv. (and if a Mavs game is broadcast on TXA21, you have no way of watching it through cable or league pass.) The blackouts and price difference are why I switched to ballstreams.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 8, 2015

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
League Pass still has no hope in hell in being competitive with Ballstreams

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Sounds like Thabo was limping heavily walking out of the police station. Wonder if he was in the fight, or got in an altercation with New York's finest.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

morestuff posted:

Just got a survey request from the league, and it looks like they're at least considering changes to the stuff everyone hates about League Pass

League pass needs to not buffer and drop to 320x240 bs every 5 minutes first. (Yes I have a good internet connection).

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

dokmo posted:

This guy did an adjusted plus minus for coaches, which takes into account the players he had, and D'Antoni comes out at +1.3 on offense (which is 0.8 standard deviations above the mean) and -1.1 on defense (which is 0.4 SDs below the mean), which I think matches most people's overall impression of his career.

Trivia:

There is a coach whose offense is 3.3 SDs below the mean, which should probably not happen in a sample of 118. Who is he? (the data I think goes back into the 90s).

Which coach has the best offensive rating? Never mind, it's Hornacek. The killer is this: which coaches have the 2nd best offensive rating? It's a tie. I would never have guess one, and the other I would have put substantial money on being among the worst.

Best defenses are boring: Skiles, Thibodeau, SVG, Fratello. Worst defenses also boring, Kenny Natt, Frank Hamblen, Bob Weiss, Mike Dunlap.

Is it Pat Riley or Larry Brown? I hope it's one of them.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Eltoasto posted:

Sounds like Thabo was limping heavily walking out of the police station. Wonder if he was in the fight, or got in an altercation with New York's finest.

He's not a native English speaker so NYPD probably beat the poo poo out of him and Pero.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

dokmo posted:

I find this analysis suspect. Mostly because it thinks offense/100 + defense/100 is combined/200.

I also don't think I understand this at all. OKC is at like ~+5/100 in Brooks' tenure. Does that mean that team, with a zero coach, should be below .500?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

dokmo posted:

Trivia:

Scott Brooks lol. Is that thrown off by him only having coached the Durant/Westbrook Thunder?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

League Pass still has no hope in hell in being competitive with Ballstreams

I don't know, Ballstreams clearly way oversold this season because the connection quality has dropped tremendously. I don't think I've been able to watch a live game this year that wasn't buffering like crazy.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Papercut posted:

I don't know, Ballstreams clearly way oversold this season because the connection quality has dropped tremendously. I don't think I've been able to watch a live game this year that wasn't buffering like crazy.

Yeah I kind of stopped watching games on Ballstreams because games would just randomly quit and dump me back into the app. Or it would freeze for like 2 minutes before start playing again and then randomly skip all the way forward in the game and I'd miss a bunch of poo poo. I pretty much gave up ever trying to play an HD stream

Plus having the app rely on 3rd party players on my phone is kind of cool I guess but I miss good built-in control options

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

dokmo posted:

Trivia:

How...accurate would you say any of this is? I'm always tempted to go with numbers over other stuff, but there's a lot there that seems to go very much against common perception. Although it was interesting to see a couple dudes on there rated decent who I always thought got raw deals.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

the most appealing feature in that league pass suite is condensed games

Papercut posted:

you have to change the server or improve your internet because i've had no problems at all.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I've had to chase servers this year more than last with ballstreams. If Leaguepass gives more options at a lower cost it might be more interesting.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

straight up brolic posted:

you have to change the server or improve your internet because i've had no problems at all.

I tried lots of different servers and massively upgraded my internet speed and Ballstreams was still tremendously unwatchable most of the season for me.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

alansmithee posted:

How...accurate would you say any of this is?
It rates Brian Shaw as better than Popovich

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

There it is, the I have no problems reply.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Nah, changing servers has only sometimes worked and I've had the same problem in multiple locations, all of which have no other broadband problems (e.g. they get 5MB/s down from Steam no problem).

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

cisneros posted:

There it is, the I have no problems reply.
Lol i didnt know so many people were having issues.

I genuinely have had none though and i use it to watch probably 200 games a season. I have a 100mb/s connection though so maybe that has something to do with? Idk i also always use the Europe server.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Overall Ballstreams has been fine for me as well. I'm in the midwest, and I've had to switch servers quite a few times, but it takes a second for me to do and doesn't rub me the wrong way. I like the dual feed nature, because I like seeing the odd commercials in other areas.

That said, if NBA streamed for just $30 more, and had dual streams with commercials, I would probably give it a go sometime. I only tried it once last season and it didn't seem really high resolution and when a commercial came on, it was a black screen. It's weird, I never thought I'd like to see commercials over just.. nothingness.

$130 for the season with NBA doesn't seem that bad at all really.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I've definitely questioned on if I want to renew Ballstreams or not. Making .gifs of games is fun but my streams post ASB have either had poor quality (so they look bad) or buffer too much, and watching the Wolves is tough enough as it is. Playoffs is definitely a make or break for them.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"
I've had issues with live games too. It's a lot cheaper than League Pass International, but once my subscription runs out I'll probably switch back to that. Rarely had any issues with live streams and I like the time controls better on the NBA LPI player.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

alansmithee posted:

How...accurate would you say any of this is? I'm always tempted to go with numbers over other stuff, but there's a lot there that seems to go very much against common perception. Although it was interesting to see a couple dudes on there rated decent who I always thought got raw deals.

Numbers are always accurate, unless the guy made a mistake in his calculations, which I doubt. I suppose you mean, how relevant to a coach's ability are these numbers, and I say, some but not sure how much. They aren't worth nothing.

The answer to the question: whose offense was the worst, given the players he had under him, is Kevin O'Neill, who took a team with prime Vince Carter and a rookie Chris Bosh, along with good side pieces, and turned them into the second worst offense in the league. O'Neill was -3.3—to give you an idea of how bad that was, Tim Floyd, who coached multiple seasons of the worst offense in the league, was second worst with -2.7.

The answer to the question: who had the second best offense, was a tie between Sam Mitchell, who turned Kevin O'Neill's second worst offense into a top 10 offense, and Tony DiLeo, who coached one season in Philly with terrible offensive players (how bad? Iguodala was the best offensive player on that team) and forced them into the 19th best offense.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Lol i didnt know so many people were having issues.

I genuinely have had none though and i use it to watch probably 200 games a season. I have a 100mb/s connection though so maybe that has something to do with? Idk i also always use the Europe server.

Aren't you also in Europe right now? I think most of us that have been having issues are in the US. I have to do some unholy ritual of changing servers and browsers to get a feed that is stable. Using the overseas servers is usually even worse. I think they oversold their capacity this season since I had no issues with it last year.

e:

pylb posted:

I've had issues with live games too. It's a lot cheaper than League Pass International, but once my subscription runs out I'll probably switch back to that. Rarely had any issues with live streams and I like the time controls better on the NBA LPI player.

If I had access to LPI, I would never have switched to ballstreams. It has what I care about (no blackouts, somewhat reasonable price, archives). Unfortunately, the North American version of League Pass is a completely different product.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Philthy posted:

$130 for the season with NBA doesn't seem that bad at all really.

I'd happily send my money (even $150 or $160) to the NBA for NBA Broadband, except for this:

NBA Broadband blackout rules posted:

What determines a blackout for NBA LEAGUE PASS Digital?

Blackouts take place when a game is televised locally in your area via a regional sports network or an over-the-air station. If a game is blacked out on NBA LEAGUE PASS in your local area, you should tune to your local station to see the game.

Games will also be blacked out when they are appearing on national television. This applies to games being televised on ABC, ESPN, TNT, and NBA TV. You may view these games simply by switching to the designated channel.

You can see which teams will be locally blacked-out in your area by entering your current ZIP code into the Blackout Finder at the bottom of this page: http://www.nba.com/leaguepass

Blackouts areas for NBA LEAGUE PASS Digital are determined in part by your IP address from your internet connection.

Because of this, pretty much every single Suns game is blacked out, because I live in a Cox service area. I don't subscribe to Cox, so I can't watch the game via my local provider, which is the entire reason that I want to subscribe to a broadband service like NBA Broadband or Ballstreams.

• Locked thread