Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

wangvicous posted:

If we're talking about NBA conspiracy theories, lets go cold/folded corner envelope 2015.

but let it be okc this time :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
i didnt read any of the past few pages so sorry if this has been posted, but heres stan van gundy saying THIS IS loving RIDICULOUS on tv

http://streamable.com/4xto

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Philthy posted:

I think the NFL has no more black outs starting this season.

Thats a different issue entirely. Thats about blacking the game on local TV if it doesn't sell out. Which the NBA has never done

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Hey JR, maybe don't touch women you don't know.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

The NBA is not rigging drafts, they gain nothing from it and lose everything if it were to come out. Not to mention the accounting firm they hire for it would never sign off on it for the same reason

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Phoenix fails to make it into the playoff's for the 5th season in a row. :smith:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Ungratek posted:

The NBA is not rigging drafts, they gain nothing from it and lose everything if it were to come out. Not to mention the accounting firm they hire for it would never sign off on it for the same reason

Yeah the real drawing is done back stage with actual representatives of the team (not hot daughters of the owners). Rigging it would imply that not only would the accounting firm sign off on it but the other teams in the league agreeing to reward Dan Gilbert for some reason.

But nope stuff looks fishy and narratives are easy to write after the fact so something has gotta be up

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I always thought it was strange how conspiracy-prone NBA fans are. I don't know if you see that in other sports beyond weird, temporary ref anger

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

morestuff posted:

I always thought it was strange how conspiracy-prone NBA fans are. I don't know if you see that in other sports beyond weird, temporary ref anger
Can we count World Cup host bidding? Or does it not count if the conspiracies are actually true?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Crazy Ted posted:

Can we count World Cup host bidding? Or does it not count if the conspiracies are actually true?

it doesn't count when it is common knowledge that fifa is corrupt

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Metapod posted:

it doesn't count when it is common knowledge that fifa is corrupt
Of course it's common knowledge, but they have taken it to a new level in the last 3-4 years.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Niwrad posted:

Cleveland is better on both ends of the court by a wide margin. How are they even making that a series?

Nazr pushes LBJ part II:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OkCKMksZOo

BWV posted:

Rose will probably never be 80% of his MVP year.

Bulls fans saying "If we were 100%..." is an annual tradition. Glad we can get it out of the way before playoffs.

If Rose was 100% and we still had Kyle Korver and defensive anchor Keith Bogans...

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Harden has more free throws made than shots made......

gently caress him

If Harden makes ~25 free throws per game in the playoffs the Rockets could win it all.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

The Locator posted:

Phoenix fails to make it into the playoff's for the 5th season in a row. :smith:

:smith:

Some day....

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

roundmidnight posted:

yeah last time he did that he got a date with a model on national TV wouldn't want that to happen again

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

WhyteRyce posted:

Yeah the real drawing is done back stage with actual representatives of the team (not hot daughters of the owners). Rigging it would imply that not only would the accounting firm sign off on it but the other teams in the league agreeing to reward Dan Gilbert for some reason.

But nope stuff looks fishy and narratives are easy to write after the fact so something has gotta be up

hmm so as long as that improbable winner of the first pick a bunch of times isn't some team owned by some villainish man what gained billions managing some kinda accounting firm that has a history of fraudulent, anticompetitive and otherwise criminal practices this whole conspiracy theory is dead in the water :(

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Niwrad posted:

I don't think any team is at 100% throughout the season. This idea that you're going to get 80+ games out of your starting 5 is unattainable.

The truth is that despite their talent, they just aren't that good. And there is a neverending parade of excuses that come and go trying to explain it. First it was Noah's knee needs to work itself back into shape. Then Rose just needed some games under his belt. Noah and Gasol couldn't co-exist defensively. They missed Taj's defensive presence off the bench. I think my favorite was all the talk about how Mike Dunleavy was the linchpin when they were playing like poo poo in January.

Other than ascribing a crazy amount of importance to Mike Dunleavy, I don't think any of these excuses are that outlandish?

Even without injuries, once you take into account the fact that Rose is a shell of his former self thus far, the talent on this team starts drying up. Gasol and Butler have been the two constants, but Noah has legitimately taken a huge step backward from last year. Beyond Gibson you're relying on minimum salary short shooty guards, rookies/second year players and the corpse of Kirk Hinrich to come off the bench.

They might not have been as good as they should have been even if they were relatively healthy, but they're also not talented enough to make up for a total lack of continuity. I think some roster rejiggering needs to be done for the team to reach its potential — the frontcourt isn't meshing well enough to justify the amount of talent they've concentrated there — but I also have a hard time calling them massive underachievers as-is.

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Someone bought me this custom title because they think I kick ass at Photoshop. They happen to be right.

roundmidnight posted:

I'm going to go ahead and guess that the Fox Sports Ohio sideline reporter who is at all the Cavs' non-nationally-televised games and JR Smith have, in fact, met before.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Vogon Poet posted:

I'm going to go ahead and guess that the Fox Sports Ohio sideline reporter who is at all the Cavs' non-nationally-televised games and JR Smith have, in fact, met before.
You trying to get the pipe?

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

Niwrad posted:

Butler's 8th in minutes among SGs (has played more than Klay Thompson and Kyle Korver this year). Pau is 3rd in minutes among all big men. Noah will finish with around what most starting Centers play. They've had injuries but they aren't as bad as you're implying. Outside of Rose (who hasn't been good this year anyway), they've had their best players on the court.

Do you honestly think this team, even at 100% like they were tonight, has a chance to make a deep run in the playoffs? They won't even win 50 games in this garbage conference.

The Bulls' starters really haven't played that many games together.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Jeff Van Gundy shares this thoughts on the masters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUTy8KXe6gU

WhyteRyce posted:

Milwaukee arena pics look terrible. How could they go so far away from the Brutalist wet dream which is the Bradley Center

I legit like brutalism. So its a shame more areans can't be concrete fortresses of death.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Niwrad posted:

I don't think any team is at 100% throughout the season. This idea that you're going to get 80+ games out of your starting 5 is unattainable.

The truth is that despite their talent, they just aren't that good. And there is a neverending parade of excuses that come and go trying to explain it. First it was Noah's knee needs to work itself back into shape. Then Rose just needed some games under his belt. Noah and Gasol couldn't co-exist defensively. They missed Taj's defensive presence off the bench. I think my favorite was all the talk about how Mike Dunleavy was the linchpin when they were playing like poo poo in January.

I guess my point is that this team shouldn't be battling it out till the last day of the season with Toronto and Washington (teams that have had their share of injuries) for the 3 seed. They're more talented than both. They had like a 6 game lead on Cleveland back in January that was wiped out in a month and the only real injury was Dunleavy.

You are my favorite type of Bulls/Chicago sports fan. And that should tell you something.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
gently caress James Harden in the rear end in a top hat

b2n
Dec 29, 2005

dokmo posted:

Ah. Is there also an aging curve for the coaches?
Someone brought up that it might make sense to have another dummy variable for "1st year of coaching", but there's evidence in both directions - some 1st year coaches kinda sucked (Kidd, I guess), while some did really good (e.g. Hornacek). So, I don't know if it'll change much
I'm guessing you're suggesting an "experience"-curve for coaches (and not actually an aging curve)? That might be a good idea

What do you think?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHgr_JuZmRY

Did we talk about this? What the gently caress? Did it actually get recorded as a 3?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

xbilkis posted:

Do you seriously think the Bulls are at "100%" at this point in the season?

Like, say there's a problem with roster construction if your starters can't get any minutes together because one of them is hurt all the time, but they've played 1/4th of their games with all five starters this year. They're not good enough to jell without having significant time developing chemistry together, I guess, if that's a point you want to bother making.

Bulls fans should stop being so obsessed with "if/when we get fully healthy" cuz that'll never happen for you or anyone, ding dongs

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
sorry, I meant quote them because I don't have archives

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

PantsFreeZone posted:

You are my favorite type of Bulls/Chicago sports fan. And that should tell you something.

Wow, no need to get nasty.

Cool Buff Man posted:

Bulls fans should stop being so obsessed with "if/when we get fully healthy" cuz that'll never happen for you or anyone, ding dongs

No, but when you see stats like "Starters are 15-4" I think its ok to say "This season has been a disappointment but injuries had a lot to do with that" Noah's injury has been the most impactful by far, and is also the most worrisome since he is really important to the team.

Illinois Smith posted:

quote:

As if I care whether or not anyone here thinks I'm a "lovely poster" -- you dipshits matter nothing to me IRL. I'm a respected teacher and community philanthropist IRL. What the gently caress do I care about a bunch of basement dwelling faggots on the internet?

:lol:
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

That's really all you need.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 9, 2015

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

soggybagel posted:

Jeff Van Gundy shares this thoughts on the masters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUTy8KXe6gU
this owns

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Illinois Smith posted:

May 29, 2010 22:51
As if I care whether or not anyone here thinks I'm a "lovely poster" -- you dipshits matter nothing to me IRL. I'm a respected teacher and community philanthropist IRL. What the gently caress do I care about a bunch of basement dwelling faggots on the internet?

:lol:

May 7, 2010 23:23
Even when the Suns come out and dominate another team you don't give credit where credit is due.

Where the gently caress are all you faggots counted them as one and done or PWNED by the Spurs eventually?

loving lame rear end posters, can't even back up your own poo poo talking, where as I can, and have, the entire season. Check yourselves. Christ.

Mar 8, 2010 19:05
hahah, you guys are a bunch of kobe nut-riders. kobe is a piece of poo poo. also, as much as i hate iverson for being a thug gangsta bitch, i feel bad for him with his daughter situation. that could probably drive any man to gamble/drink hardcore.

Apr 3, 2010 20:35
This could be the game Suns lose. Lol @ Andrew Bogut though, I hope he's done until next year. His rear end SO deserved that, fuckin' swinging around the rim like that. What a total shithead. Jokes on them though.

Looks like fatigue has set in -- 5 games in 7 nights all on the road will do that though. Hopefully Dallas loses tonight, so we'll still be tied.

Mar 23, 2010 17:29
It's relevant because I have a vast knowledge of PHX and the metro area (lived there for 22 years), close ties to a few communities, developed my professional career there, have family there, and I'm heavily involved w/ the music scene (yes, even long distance) and still visit once a month.

Shut the gently caress up. You're so incredibly childish to be a oval office because I dislike certain bands. :lol: INTERNET RAGE.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Damnit who's the other bad Suns poster, it's still eluding me.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

morestuff posted:

Michael Jordan took his year off as a secret punishment for the league for gambling on games (and for steroids).

soggybagel posted:

I legit like brutalism. So its a shame more areans can't be concrete fortresses of death.

My office is in a brutalist building and hearing people complain about it is the best part. IT IS A HARD BUILDING FOR HARD MEN.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Apr 9, 2015

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

illcendiary posted:

Damnit who's the other bad Suns poster, it's still eluding me.

There are none. We all own. :colbert:

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
I'm a phoenix sun fan because I saw Lebrons second nba game ever while I was going to college in Arizona. He jumped over Marion. Go suns!

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
hey faggots I'm a respected teacher and philanthropist :lol:

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

EvanTH posted:

hey faggots I'm a respected teacher and philanthropist :lol:

Now I know how to change my LinkedIn professional summary.

Belome
Jan 1, 2013
I hate watching free throws but it isn't like Harden has taken a historic amount of them. Is it just because he's a guard?

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

It's weird that guy didn't like Bogut. Seems like he and Bogut have some similar views

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Community philanthropist never gets old. Never.

edit:

NBA April News/Views: Community Philanthropists Convention

remember
Nov 23, 2006

Belome posted:

I hate watching free throws but it isn't like Harden has taken a historic amount of them. Is it just because he's a guard?

I think because he's perceived to be a player that is only good because he can get fouls called. Pretty much everyone that has the top seasons of FTA or FTM are either hall of fame players or bad FT shooting big men(also hall of famers). Harden has legit skill but he's perceived to be a flopping and contact drawing machine. It doesn't help that he plays for Morey.

He took more FT in 2012-13, he's just much better at making them this year.

remember fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Apr 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I'm pretty confident Harden will be a HoF player too.

Belome posted:

He's a guard, he creates a lot of that contact himself rather than a big guy who is getting hacked. It's also different when its, like, MJ or Durant or LBJ who get fouled a lot because defenders just cannot handle them, so I think that's why its so notable.

I dunno, its mostly just complaining about a guy because thats what people do who watch basketball.

• Locked thread