Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
N: http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2015/4/7/8368153/anthony-davis-new-orelans-pelicans-golden-state-warriors-video

V: That is rude as heck warriors come on man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Kibner posted:

In Draymond is cool news, he and a Pels superfan (also, professional comedian) behind the visitor's bench had some friendly pregame banter that ended with a postgame handshake: http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/2015/04/08/my-night-behind-the-bench-pelicans-vs-warriors/

This is pretty cool.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Was the OKC blowout as sad and boring as it seemed it might be?

This is the look of a man who wanted to be a doctor and was told he would have to settle for being a multi millionaire super athlete.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

N: The Pelicans have to beat The Spurs to make the playoffs

V: Well, that ain't happening. loving sucks but that's what this stupid team gets for throwing away so many easy games like idiots.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Faxanadu posted:

Since the Pelicans are a playoff team does this mean Anthony Davis can win MVP now

If he smiles too hard he knows he'll injure his jaw.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

For fans of the original Pimp Pelican, I bring you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49n5oB8YZ3w

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Lockback posted:

Norris Cole has most definitely accepted the role that the team is on his shoulders, regardless if anyone has said this to him or if he will even be in the playoff rotation.

Cole has played really well for the Pelicans in a massive turnaround from how utterly, atrociously useless he was with The Heat.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

In more interesting and awesome news, the New Orleans Pelicans are your 2014-2015 NBA Championship Belt winners.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

dongsbot 9000 posted:

imo the belt should have nothing to do with the chip and it should go off of whoever was holding the belt at the end of the regular season (e.g. knicks start w/ the belt instead of the spurs)

Irrelevant since the Pelicans will win the title anyhow.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

PantsFreeZone posted:

Lot of garbage time stats.

You are the most bitter person I've ever seen.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

kalensc posted:

In NBA threads you mean?

Cause until he takes off for the Appalachian trail...

Good point.

PantsFreeZone posted:

Am I wrong? There was Game 2 and then there was the 20something to singlesomething first quarter where the Heat were in the lead and the rest of it was a buzzsaw by the Spurs where they were up by 20+.

I still remember Patty Mills hitting threes to go up by 20 in multiple games. Kawhi Leonard killed James and Wade and whoever else he guarded. James was good and Wade was beyond miserable and the series contained a ton of garbage time.

It's downright adorable that you don't think you've totally 180'd ever since he left Miami. You can't stop yourself from doing your best to poo poo on him at every turn when any failing when he was with the team was defensible. It's not garbage time trying to score a lot of points in the third quarter down by a lot you loving doof.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

This is the second worst I've ever felt about sports. I don't know what to do with myself. I don't even know why I'm making the post, I feel like it's just to waste time. I should go to sleep but I can't. I don't even think I can move. I've just been staring at this screen since the game ended. I've typed and retyped this post about 20 times and nothing seems to feel right. 20 minutes staring at this post. What is the point of this? I didn't expect to win, so why am I so destroyed by what happened? What is the goal I seek to achieve, rooting for this team that has consistently done everything it could to put my hopes up as much as possible, dash them, rebuild them, dash them, in as many unbelievable ways as they possibly could. I spent an entire night cheering and clapping and feeling great before immediately coming down and being dropped in a stupor. It's like heroin except I can get anymore of the good part to chase away the lovely lack of it.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Kibner posted:

I just enjoy watching my team play in fun games, dude. :shrug:

And I apparently enjoy irregular bouts of sports related depression.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Tae posted:

As much as Monty made some questionable line-up decisions in the past, that roster is not a great roster even when fully healthy.

You're right, a team with the second worst injuries(obviously behind OKC) in the league gets 45 wins in the west and they actually just have a bad roster.

The team got trapped overpaying Gordon, otherwise the roster is great if you want to ignore injuries. With injures, Anderson and Jrue have effectively tanked the team relative to the salary they take up despite being good players worth their contracts.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Grozz Nuy posted:

After that kind of heartbreaking loss, do the Pelicans just pack it in in Game 4? If they had closed out this game, they could have felt like they had a decent chance to leave home court with the series tied, but now they have to run the table including both games at Oracle, where the Warriors have been nearly unstoppable this season.

They're probably going to still try because they're not giant loving babies but the series is obviously super loving over.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

misdirectomy posted:

I wanna know the most worst he's ever felt about sports.

Kibner posted:

guessing here, but I think his top worst sporting moment was either the river city relay (Google this poo poo) or <insert one of several LSU hilarious collapses>.

Brolic, going on memory here, but they didn't play Bogut until under 2 minutes left in the fourth. They were running a small ball lineup until then and I don't believe they had a poor enough free throw shooter during that time for the strategy to be effective.

Ding ding ding, River City Relay. I was much younger and it was much more devastating.

Third worst was Alex Smith's comeback against the Saints with like 50 seconds to go or some poo poo @ SF where their team just injured ours into oblivion, we were still winning, and then Alex Smith becomes the best Quarterback of all time for a few minutes.

I didn't even hate the beastquake that much because it was in the aftermath of the Saints' previous Superbowl season and it was more funny than sad.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Apr 24, 2015

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Kibner posted:

Yay, I guessed correctly!

The LSU guesses would've been good if I didn't go to Alabama. Gotta root for the alma mater, man.

Edit- This was basically like a miniature River City Relay. I was enjoying myself after something amazing and improbable happened followed by an immediate, soul crushing loss that seemed to make no sense. The game also, at the time it happened, seemed to count for more than this game.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

It's a little weird to have someone react like that to one loss of a 7 game series, unless of course its the Bartman game and you know that there is no hope of your team ever winning again until after you die.

That is the end if the series, don't kid yourself.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Dejan Bimble posted:

I agree with Kibner about pels lineup stuff.

"Great?" Are you sure about this?

They have one pupating superstar, maybe the 10th best point guard in the league, a pretty okay sg who's terrible on d, random hustle tweeners at sf, a good defensive center who is so bad on offense that he negates his strengths on defense. Add a very good stretch four, if you ignore two years of injuries, you have a barely adequate roster.

I don't know what happens going forward with this team. I suppose they wait for contracts to expire and try to rebuild with picks and role players.

I more took his statement as they were a bad team considering all he did was poo poo on them. Pondexter isn't a tweener, he is a solid starting SF. Of course the team lacks a second superstar talent, go loving figure, they'really hard to come by. Jrue, Tyreke, and Pondexter are good players. Anderson, Cunningham and Cole have given us an actually good bench rotation. The team's problem is obviously that Gordon injured away all of his ability except shooting and that's the contract we are getting rid of soon. It isn't just that the pels won a good number of regular season games despite massive injuries, they also looked really really good and played well against every elite contending team at some point this year. That wasn't a fluke, there's pretty good talent here. The problem is consistency, injuries and the lack of a second star (which was obviously supposed to be Gordon). The consistency is probably a coaching issue mixed with those injuries. Hopefully the injury bug finally leaves the team and we can turn Gordon's cap% into a better costed talent to round out our team.

The team has some work to do but they have a pretty good starting point.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Sheriff posted:

I'm not so sure it gets any better for New Orleans, at least with Dell Demps in charge. He seems incapable of accurately gauging the value of NBA players and picks, and he's stuck in a conference of GMs who are very good at it. The Pelicans roster isn't really that bad on paper, but it's insane what they've given up for the players they have, both in terms of salary and opportunity cost.

Like, instead of giving up two first rounders for Jrue Holiday, why didn't they just keep Nerlens Noel for themselves? They would have then had their 2014 pick, which ended up being used (by the Magic) to obtain Elfrid Payton. With Nerlens, they wouldn't trade for a rental of Asik, so they end up saving next year's pick and over $10 million cap dollars. That would have given them an extremely young and talented core, one that would have probably attracted a lot of attention from free agents once Gordon's contract gets off the books.

Yes why didn't we spend 5 years developing injured rookies younger than Davis when the owner demands you do your best to start winning games or you get fired

why would demps trade a first rounder for asik when the owner says "if you don't make the playoffs this year you're fired"

why would demps do such a thing like make questionable trades to get already developed talent

how does the world work

He built this team a respectable bench from literally nothing over the course of the season. poo poo on Monty all you want but Demps has been nothing short of great with the hand he's been given.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 24, 2015

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

They put the worst refs on the series least likely to be changed by the outcome of bad reffing. I seriously can't believe that "If he missed the shot we would've given him free throws" bullshit. It's obscene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

So have you never watched an nba game before or...?

Yeah and it's loving stupid? Those refs were awful and they openly, and apparently happily, admit to being awful.

• Locked thread