Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BWV
Feb 24, 2005

If the Raps play the Wizards we should get our own thread for joint coach bitching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Cancel the first two rounds and just have the Hawks play the Cavs in an 11 game series.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Harden is cool. Haters just hate the future.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Rose will probably never be 80% of his MVP year.

Bulls fans saying "If we were 100%..." is an annual tradition. Glad we can get it out of the way before playoffs.

BWV fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 9, 2015

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

As the Heat proved, fun video-bombing is one of the most important factors in determining post-season success.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I think he met "If Pero Antic was a honkey".

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Demar Derozan sucks.

Not so relevant but I haven't posted that in a few weeks.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

those jerseys are hideous

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

they look like the jerseys of a fictional sports team playing a fictional sport in a science fiction movie.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

FWIW the Raptors aren't really owned by Tannenbaum. He holds a percentage but the bulk of the team is owned by MLSE, which is jointly owned by Rogers and Bell—Canada's two largest telecommunications companies—who also own all the sports channels.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

The Raptors are such losers. Their "best" scorer can't dribble with his head up, makes terrible jump passes, and dreams of playing for Byron Scott. Their point guards cant defend. Their gunners cant shoot. Their only good players are a perma-injured PF and a center who is banned from 4th quarter play.
Worst of all, they have a coach who is somehow worse than Randy Whittman. If Toronto fans were half as hardcore as Leaf fans Casey would be dead in a ditch by now. Instead, the general We the North/Only winning team in our city inferiority complex prevents anyone from getting their (metaphorical) knives out.
Masai has to know Casey is a garbage man, and I hope he's not so cynical that he'll save his firing for next year when people start questioning his own performance.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I can't think of a better use of James Johnson than covering Paul Pierce when Whittman plays him at the 4.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I missed this Raptors game, can someone sum up the changes we made from game 1 and what went so wrong?

They made cosmetic changes (letting James Jones and JV play) but their defense was still terrible and they relied on the same garbage shots they did last game. Only difference was Demar hit a bunch of bad mid range jumpers in the first quarter which got us a lead—and of course will further contribute to his belief that 09 Kobe is the best model for success.

This series is so depressing. There are few things worse than watching your garbage team lose to a team that is less stinkier garbage. The Wizards are frauds with a poo poo coach. They have some good players who could succeed one day but their coach is a moron and their "stars" still take terrible shots. They hardly run good sets, and the one play that does succeed consistently (the pick n roll with Wall and Gortat) usually gets abandoned by the 3rd quarter. THEYALSOPLAYDREWFUCKINGGOODENSIGNIFICANTMINUTES!!! I've watched a fraud team all year and the Wizards definitely fit the mold. YET, they are completely, and in all ways, owning the Raps. (and i reiterate, because they do have much better players...but still frauds)

I actually don't know what to feel when watching this garbage squad. Cheering for a win when the current system is so hosed just seems futile. We could win 4 in a row and I'd still think the team is hosed. The team is a joke and should be forced to play in the West so fans get a real idea of what kind of poo poo they're wed to.

BWV fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 22, 2015

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Whitman is a better coach than Casey. They're both terrible but Whit is just stinking garbage while Casey is rotting garbage. They are similar though. They both refuse to play one of their better big men late in games, and immediately get confused the second an opponent plays an unconventional line up. However, where they differ is that Whitman only takes 4-8 minutes to make adjustments while Casey takes anywhere between 2-6 quarters. Also, Washington's base sets actually look half-decent before they get abandoned/hijacked.

Hand Knit posted:

I don't think that the big issue with Casey is the offence. I mean, it's not great, but I also don't think it's the issue when the team is not only running an antiquated defensive scheme but one that relies on the health of a player who will never be healthy again.

This is so infuriating. Amir hasn't been healthy in like 2 years and Casey's solution is to play Hansborough without changing any of the scheme. I can't imagine another team refusing to change a core defense philosophy when the one player it's built around is only effective 33% of the time.

BWV fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 22, 2015

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I'm so pessimistic about the Raptors replacing Casey with a decent coach. This is a team that employed Kevin O'Neil and Sam Mitchell. They have to get rid of him but all the names I've heard on the market seem terrible.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Last nights Spurs/Clippers game was sweet. I can't wait for the Raps to get swept so I can get back to watching quality basketball.
I know Simmons tweeted this but it's worth repeating. Brad Stevens is slightly older than Tim Duncan.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

cross posting for posterity

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

The Raptors haven't gotten a good look in 4 months.

Maybe it was Bruno and Lucas, thus making it technically true.

They barely contested those Pierce threes. And he didn't really beat them. Their inability to prevent players from getting in the paint did that. Pierce was just the guy who got the ball after the collapse.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

119 scored with 2 3PM

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

The Duggler posted:

What if the raptors come back from 0-3?

I MUST BELIEVE

so they have an excuse to not fire their incompetent coach and continue with a flawed roster?

No way jose

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

He just needs to find a coach that'll really publicly support him

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Dejan Bimble posted:

Masai has a really rough job. How do you improve that roster? They have to hope DeRozan gets a lot better, Terrence Ross becomes a competent player, Lowry plays like last year's Lowry, JV improves enough on defense to not be an utter liability, and that Caboclo becomes Giannis 2. Maybe Bebe becomes a Nerlens Noelish guy. Lots of coin flip question mark development stuff.

How do you make the Raptors a championship contender?

First you acquire a coach who is not a poo poo filled flaming diaper. Next you trade or don't re-sign everyone but Lowry, Patterson, James Johnson, JV and the kids who never play. Maybe you keep Ross if the new coach thinks he can eventually be a consistent player. You try to acquire players who can defend and shoot. You get rid of Demar. It's far enough in his career that you know he doesn't care about developing a 3. His one elite skill, going to the rack, will only diminish with age and for whatever reason disposition—as he loves his mid range fade away. The guy wants to be a late 90/early 00 scorer and that model is just too inefficient today. Finally, you deal with it, and eat the poo poo that may come if that's what it means to get better, and you don't go all bonkers when your team wins games against tankers and you tolerate a few years of poo poo if it means you can slowly improve.

Really the first 13 words I wrote will make things infinitely better.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

WhyteRyce posted:

Watching the ever evolving opinion of raptor fans and DeRozan blows my mind

I think I've been pretty consistent over the last 3 years. The guy can be excellent at getting to the rim. That's really one of the better skills you can have. But he takes way too many mid-range shots. His first few years we all thought those mid-range shots would turn into 3s, and we'd have a legit SG who could shoot and get to the rim. But his 3 is still bad and he settles for too many Kobe 2s.
Demar is a decent player and he'll always have a contract in the league. But giving him any type of high usage isn't really a good idea moving forward.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

when Ross is "locked in" he's a pretty good on ball defender. However, he zones out a lot and gets absolutely worked by trickier players.
I never see him developing into a good player. Just too inconsistent and has trouble generating offense in the half-court. He's cool in transition tho.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

How can anyone watch the West playoffs and think the Raps aren't bad. The goal is to be a good team. Not a poo poo team that happens to make the playoffs because other teams are tanking. If your core players don't make you a top 10 team in the league you need to change things up. They weren't a great team at any point during the season. They just hit a bunch of 3s and played against poo poo teams. They have a deep bench and have decent players—that alone made them the best team in their division.

The fact that the bar has been so lowered on what it means to win in the east isn't a reason to think the team has potential. Instead of comparing them to the poo poo compare them to the teams that actually play well. Not counting the children (Bruno and Lucas) JV, Lowry, and Paterson are the only players I can ever see getting legit run on a good team.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

chunkles posted:

I'm taking my talents to South Core*

*Toronto district name provided by Wikipedia, not sure if anyone in Toronto actually refers to the area as such

not a thing.

Hogtown maybe, or The Big Smoke. But even those names are more for people outside of the city.
People in Toronto call the city Torrano

and lol at "one piece away". Raptor fans have been saying poo poo like that forever. "one piece away" usually means you need a 6th man or a better defensive big man, not an All-NBA player.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I think a good defensive center could turn them into solid team. They need a new coach for sure, but the East is really open. Millsap could leave Atlanta or Horford could get hurt again, and Love could always leave Cleveland.

You don't blow up non-ancient non-capped out 50 win teams.

This is stupid. It's this type of thinking that causes a GM to sign Hedo or other bad players.
Your confidence in your squad shouldn't depend or involve how other teams are doing. The goal is to have a good team. Having teams around you get worse doesn't make you better, it just makes it easier for you to get to the playoffs and eventually get crushed. Like someone else said, this is only a good strategy if your goal is to be like Atlanta with Smith and Johnson.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Much like your posts, tanking is loving boring and depressing

overturning the roster doesn't mean tanking. it just means using the assets you currently have to get different/more useful ones.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

this is so stupid. just suspend him for 2-3 games. Who the gently caress cares if it was intentional. Does anyone really think KO getting suspended for 2 games, zero games, or 15 games has any affect on anything?

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

im cool with it. People freak out way too much these days. It was bad and not cool but 2 seems appropriate.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I legitimately want to loving die right now.

lol move to Toronto . We'll teach you how to deal.

A lot of randomness in that Hawks game. I think most nights it falls their way. What can you do when your guys are missing the shots they hit and DWil is swishing 40 footers.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

this is what I worried about. Masai is being strategic and will save firing Casey until the Raptors start the season 5-15 and people start giving him poo poo. Right now there are not enough knives out in the media to push him towards doing anything big.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

if he was the type of guy that wanted to fit in he would tell his body not now.

I still think the Cavs can go far. Lebron beat a good Pacers team without Bosh, and Bosh was more important to the Heat's offense than Love is. If they go small with Lebron at the 4 things can work out. They'll lose a bunch of boards to Gibson but it may be worth it. Kyrie-Shump-random 3 shooter-Lebron-Moz is still a formidable line-up—especially against the inconsistent teams in the East.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

This is cool: NBA football helmets

http://imgur.com/a/P4Ape

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

no wonder the Toronto media basically eats right out of their rear end.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

the warriors one was pretty cool, maybe a bit insensitive, but cool.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

PantsFreeZone posted:

There's at least one nice, massive residence with a par 3 golf hole in the backyard.

Sounds like a good site for an SAS:NBA goon meet. Hook us up.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

il serpente cosmico posted:

Just noticed that Blake Griffin has gotten worse at both defensive and offensive rebounding every year he's been in the league. He's gone from a borderline dominant rebounder to a poor rebounder for his position. Is there an explanation for this? I know individual numbers don't always tell the full story--for instance, JJ Hickson and Marcus Camby put up good numbers despite not making their teams better at rebounding. It's just odd how much Blake has regressed year after year.

I'm not sure about his defensive rebounding numbers but on offense he spends a lot more time in the high post and has steadily taken more outside jumpers. That probably results in less O-boards.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I dunno man, the Houston Rockets twitter isn't really a dirty account and from all i've heard is a pretty good account. Probably just got mixed up with emojis and never intended on someone getting their feelings hurt. Looking at it again it seems like a reasonable twitter play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Panzeh posted:

The problem the Clippers have always had is that Jordan and Griffin are just not good defensive players, despite their obvious athleticism. Notice how the Spurs can often get good looks by posting up Diaw or Duncan and both of those players feel comfortable scoring. I remember in Game 4 watching Diaw basically demolish Griffin on the block because Griffin is not a good post defender. About the only thing they do well is block shots. The help and PnR defense just isn't there for them.

I dont think this is so important. To me the reason the Clippers have lost some of these games is because they rely on Jamal Crawford, Austin Rivers, and Matt Barnes to generate points. Crawford is good for it enough times but the other two are a disaster. The fact that Big Baby is their most consistent bench player is telling.

All that said they have basically out played the Spurs in 3 of these 5 games. The core of Deandre, Blake, and CP3 is loving awesome and finding role players who aren't absolutely terrible is a much easier problem to fix than most—i mean assuming your GM isn't a moron...

I heard Simmons question their core but if you can be a top-5 team in the NBA with no bench and Matt Barnes your core is pretty loving awesome.

• Locked thread