Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Momomo posted:

Then he starts treating Adam as Robocop and has him do things like sneak into a police station. Like, since when was this in his contract?

I don't remember every line of dialogue from HR but Adam's motivation throughout most of the game was "MEGAN" so I assume Sarif just kinda muttered her name under his breath and Adam bolted off to the police station.

edit: After sucker punching a few homeless people, in my playthrough at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you

Hobo By Design posted:

I wonder what physical therapy for Jensen was like. Imagine scratching your nose and a blade coming out of your arm. Or not having a heartbeat in the same place because it was moved for an electroparachute and experimental explosive device. What does it feel like to have heavy skin, fortified with metamaterials and fiber optics? Does it shear from the softer tissue underneath easily? Jensen seems kind of apathetic about lifechanging trauma. The character never experiences any downside to augmentation, which makes the larger question "are robo-arms sweet?" kind of dumb.

It's really why every time I see the line "I never asked for this" repeated I remember how strange it is for him to say that. The augmentations are shown as nothing but a complete positive change to Jensen's life, and even the bad social reception to it is very minimal because of the huge amount of augmented people represented in the game. The only downside that the game demonstrates is the requirement of anti-rejection drugs, which Jensen doesn't even require or take once for story reasons.

If prototype augmentations had huge issues to work around and moderate to extreme downsides of daily use, then I could see Sarif being more of an unsympathetic character. But as it is, he just gave Jensen super powers with no downsides and Jensen is content to fulfill whatever illegal objectives Sarif wants him to.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Baiard posted:

It's really why every time I see the line "I never asked for this" repeated I remember how strange it is for him to say that. The augmentations are shown as nothing but a complete positive change to Jensen's life, and even the bad social reception to it is very minimal because of the huge amount of augmented people represented in the game. The only downside that the game demonstrates is the requirement of anti-rejection drugs, which Jensen doesn't even require or take once for story reasons.

If prototype augmentations had huge issues to work around and moderate to extreme downsides of daily use, then I could see Sarif being more of an unsympathetic character. But as it is, he just gave Jensen super powers with no downsides and Jensen is content to fulfill whatever illegal objectives Sarif wants him to.

He wasn't consulted before having his entire body replaced by robotics.

That was a choice not made by him. Plus, he probably doesn't have a working dizzle anymore to sex up anybody.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
what we dont see in the game is the several months Jensen spent self-loathing in his apartment over his failure and dead dog while every news channel and podcast on the planet were openly talking about how people like him were super lovely and shouldn't be alive so I imagine he's had it pretty rough

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The whole little thing with his mirror was a good indicator of his mood. His girlfriend was kidnapped in front of him, he'd become basically a New Poor Person 2.0, socially, and really, there's nothing really positive about his whole scenario.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Baiard posted:

No matter how awesome it would be to have robo-limbs and augmented strength, don't forget about how much of you is tied up into how you look and perceive yourself. People who've been in traumatic incidents can have dissociative disorders from something that could be considered far more cosmetic than what happened to Jensen.

Drifter posted:

That was a choice not made by him. Plus, he probably doesn't have a working dizzle anymore to sex up anybody.

Someone asked the artist dude if Adam still had a dong and IIRC, the answer was yes but it's one of the few human parts he has below his waist. I don't think Adam's going to go out trolling for ladies any year soon.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I'm not buying this until its confirmed that Adam finally gets that mirror fixed.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

CharlestonJew posted:

what we dont see in the game is the several months Jensen spent self-loathing in his apartment over his failure and dead dog while every news channel and podcast on the planet were openly talking about how people like him were super lovely and shouldn't be alive so I imagine he's had it pretty rough

Yeah I mean if nothing else coming back from the hospital to find out your dog's dead would suck.

Deus Ex Human Revolution: Sort of a cyberpunk John Wick.

CharlestonJew posted:

I don't remember every line of dialogue from HR but Adam's motivation throughout most of the game was "MEGAN" so I assume Sarif just kinda muttered her name under his breath and Adam bolted off to the police station.

edit: After sucker punching a few homeless people, in my playthrough at least

Well, he also wasn't too pleased about getting shot up I'd imagine.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

If you look at his apartment it's cluttered in lovely fast food he hasn't bothered to clean up, a mirror he broke in a drunken rage (not the first time) and lots of booze and painkillers. He's pretty obviously not in a great mental state.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

If you look at his apartment it's cluttered in lovely fast food he hasn't bothered to clean up, a mirror he broke in a drunken rage (not the first time) and lots of booze and painkillers. He's pretty obviously not in a great mental state.

poo poo i would be. jensons augs own. hes like the royals royce of augmented people which is a cool rear end thing even at its most basic

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

i mean most augmented people stomp around like power loaders but jenson can reasonably pas as normal, i.e. his coat

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Drifter posted:

This is true, but the reason for that is because he was dying. It wasn't like they drugged him and replaced his body with robot parts for funsies, it was that or death. If he'd rather be dead than augmented, that option is still open to him.

CharlestonJew posted:

That's the problem, we don't get that perspective. As the player all you see is that Jensen suddenly has super powers, and there are no negative consequences to him in the game. Even the ones that are implied are kind of balanced out by the "would otherwise be dead" factor.

Drifter posted:

The whole little thing with his mirror was a good indicator of his mood. His girlfriend was kidnapped in front of him, he'd become basically a New Poor Person 2.0, socially, and really, there's nothing really positive about his whole scenario.
Other than the super powers and not being dead, you mean?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Tiggum posted:

This is true, but the reason for that is because he was dying. It wasn't like they drugged him and replaced his body with robot parts for funsies, it was that or death. If he'd rather be dead than augmented, that option is still open to him.

That's the problem, we don't get that perspective. As the player all you see is that Jensen suddenly has super powers, and there are no negative consequences to him in the game. Even the ones that are implied are kind of balanced out by the "would otherwise be dead" factor.

Other than the super powers and not being dead, you mean?

No he only needed an arm, they literally cut the rest off because Sarif wanted a pet super aug.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Tiggum posted:

He only needed an arm. And as far as superpowers go, ask a leg amputee how they like not having to worry about stubbing their toes anymore and if that offsets the cost of losing their leg. Trauma's still trauma. It's a pretty big mental drain. He got hit with a pretty big mega-whammy with the assault trauma, his girlfriend being stolen, and his recovery.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Apr 12, 2015

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

You can outrun the IRS, but you can't outrun your sister's love.

Drifter posted:

He only needed an arm. And as far as superpowers go, ask a leg amputee how they like not having to worry about stubbing their toes anymore and if that offsets the cost of losing their leg. Trauma's still trauma. It's a pretty big mental drain. He got hit with a pretty big mega-whammy with the assault trauma, his girlfriend being stolen, and his recovery.
This isn't "not stubbing your toe" that we're talking about. I would certainly trade an arm for symmetrical super strength, or legs for 6 million dollar man level running speed and jumping.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

That would sell better if most of DXHR's environments - even the clean, sterile ones - weren't cluttered with pallets and storage units and all kinds of crap. Nobody in Detroit has ever unpacked from their last move.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

John Liver posted:

That would sell better if most of DXHR's environments - even the clean, sterile ones - weren't cluttered with pallets and storage units and all kinds of crap. Nobody in Detroit has ever unpacked from their last move.

You ever been to Detroit?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Adam implies he's coming to accept his augmentations in DXHR though. If you confront Bill Taggert he says that accepting his new self was the hardest thing he's ever done and the first time he saw himself in the mirror he broke it.

But yeah its a shame the player was locked out of these things.

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme
Jensen's mental state is ambiguous, probably so the player can project their opinion of augmentation onto him. He has a bad diet (booze and cereal) and has/had self-control problems (mirror), but that's the worst we see. He works out (unless sixpack abs are a side effect of magic DNA), has a hobby, lives in a nice apartment and has a solid income. He probably isn't happy about his ex dying, but he's coping as well as can be expected for someone who might have PTSD, phantom pains, and who knows what kinds of weird side effects. There's a great example of the ambiguity in the Director's Cut. Post-tutorial, there's a cutscene where Jensen walks into Sarif HQ and his robo-shades turn on. It looks cool, like he's an action hero or something. Mary DeMarle in a commentary node says it's a nervous reaction.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i think the best way to do malik in this is to just have a dialog option about her where you get two options. "How's she doing?" or "Yeah, RIP."

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Anatharon posted:

You ever been to Detroit?

White Flight, Icarus wings. Very sneaky, Eidos.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

also sarif is great and i hope he's back somehow. went in thinking he was going to be a loving rear end in a top hat but then he turned out to be a pretty cool dude.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Hobo By Design posted:

There's a great example of the ambiguity in the Director's Cut. Post-tutorial, there's a cutscene where Jensen walks into Sarif HQ and his robo-shades turn on. It looks cool, like he's an action hero or something. Mary DeMarle in a commentary node says it's a nervous reaction.

That node completely changed my impression of Jensen. He went from a stoic guy repressing his issues to a wreck of a man who just wanted to put a wall up and be left alone. :smith:

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
The shocking ending: Press one of FOUR buttons for cool stock footage reels!

On a positive note I liked Human Revolution prior to the last 5% of the game. Being an air duct assassin felt so satisfying. I also thought Jensen's apartment explained a lot; I'd probably punch mirrors too if I lived in Detroit with a building-wide fog machine running 24/7.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Obviously, Jensen was cool with all the augs, except for the pop-up sunglasses which just make him look like a tool.

Also, Jensen only says he didn't ask for this if you choose that dialogue option.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

lewtt posted:

The shocking ending: Press one of FOUR buttons for cool stock footage reels!

On a positive note I liked Human Revolution prior to the last 5% of the game. Being an air duct assassin felt so satisfying. I also thought Jensen's apartment explained a lot; I'd probably punch mirrors too if I lived in Detroit with a building-wide fog machine running 24/7.

Dude it's basically the original game's endings with more reactivity and less backtracking through garbage levels that were recycled for stupid reasons.

I'm not saying they were good endings. I'm just saying that Deus Ex doesn't do good endings other than the Omar ending of Invisible War.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I dislike the "aug people are discriminated" plot. When it happens in some decades in the real world, I bet most people won't care at all that you've replaced some parts of yourself, maybe apart from some fringe groups like "God hates Augs" or something. As long as you don't replace large parts of your brain, you're still human.

There might be some class issues, but that would mostly be in the opposite direction of the game, with "normals" as the poor people because if you've got a shiny new iLeg, chances are you're either rich or connected, and aren't living like a hobo fearing beatings from exoskeleton cops like in the trailer.

Game's gonna be good, though.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
No matter how upset and angry Adam was about his new augs he didn't ask for, he could always do some stress relief by finding a hooker, using his takedown universe powers to give her martial arts skills, then cold-clock her after a brief fight.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

ymgve posted:

I dislike the "aug people are discriminated" plot. When it happens in some decades in the real world, I bet most people won't care at all that you've replaced some parts of yourself, maybe apart from some fringe groups like "God hates Augs" or something. As long as you don't replace large parts of your brain, you're still human.

Well to be fair Mankind Divided is set after literally millions of people were killed by rampaging augments.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Everybody LOOOVOES the Muslims now, too.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Wait, Muslims get augmentations? How do I convert?!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

poptart_fairy posted:

Wait, Muslims get augmentations? How do I convert?!

I don't know man, a lot of people hate them and think they're pretty shiite, but I suppose they do get some pretty sikh gear.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

Well to be fair Mankind Divided is set after literally millions of people were killed by rampaging augments.

yeah a lot of dudes seem to be forgetting this for some reason

also i think the divide thing as the whole thing in the first game was that augs were for both rich folks and disabled folks barely making it by/having to rely on someone to support them because of the massive rejection issues
that they're paired together now (alongside combat augs and retired combat augs) in concentration camps for actions completely out of their control is a potentially interesting aspect of the whole thing that i hope doesn't get glossed over because it's easily the most interesting part of the setting so far

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
imo the most interesting part of the setting is that Pritchard is a dick to Jensen because his NUCL3ARSN4KE show got rejected because Picus wanted to make a show where the plot was pretty much just Jensen's life

Karpaw
Oct 29, 2011

by Cyrano4747

ymgve posted:

There might be some class issues, but that would mostly be in the opposite direction of the game, with "normals" as the poor people because if you've got a shiny new iLeg, chances are you're either rich or connected, and aren't living like a hobo fearing beatings from exoskeleton cops like in the trailer.

People wearing Google Glass have been assaulted for no other reason than that.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Karpaw posted:

it has nothing to do with the douchebag clause required to own and wear a google glass

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Karpaw posted:

They've been assaulted for being complete and utter fuckholes, more than simply having a pair of computer glasses.

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

imo the most interesting part of the setting is that Pritchard is a dick to Jensen because his NUCL3ARSN4KE show got rejected because Picus wanted to make a show where the plot was pretty much just Jensen's life

Little nuggets of info like that are what made me an ocd hacker in HR

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Vanderdeath posted:

Someone asked the artist dude if Adam still had a dong and IIRC, the answer was yes but it's one of the few human parts he has below his waist. I don't think Adam's going to go out trolling for ladies any year soon.

Is it just stuck on with glue? I wonder if he has variable boner control. Or maybe he has a Vibrowang™ with nerves or force feedback. Girls are not going to be down with that. That is to say, normal girls would not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
I remember when a few years ago a University of Toronto computer science professor was assaulted in a McDonalds in Paris because he had surgically attached a camera to his face. It helped him see actually since he's got incredibly bad eye sight but yea they tried to remove it from his face.

• Locked thread