Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Link to OOC/Recruiting Thread

--------------------

((If you wish to make up some world details for story/narration sake, go ahead!))

The soft spattering of rain that had persisted for most of the evening finally starts to break as overcast skies are slowly dipped into the impending darkness of the night. Fires are lit in hearths all over the village filling the air with the aroma of burning pine logs, accompanied with the sounds of joyous laughter and muffled voices from homes up and down the main drag of the village.

For those living a life where long term companionship is an afterthought, the Green Goat is the resting point after a hard day. Warm food and great mead is paired with familiar faces and a crackling hearth to keep the guests warm and cozy. The soon to be heroes are here, resting at a simple wooden table out of the way of the major crowd of commoners enjoying an evening of tavern songs and mead. Here in front of them, a crude map of the surrounding area of the entrance is laid out on parchment, scribbled quickly during the meeting. The owner of the Green Goat and the main bar keep and waiter, Marcus, had just dropped off a few flagons for their thirst before going back to the bar itself to tend to the other patrons.

Night continues to fall, as the moon starts to creep over the horizon, its full splendor hidden behind slowly clearing cloud cover. The land is cast in a wash of dim light as the autumn air is cool and wet.

--------------------

quote:

Known Information on the ‘entrance’

(Pentagon marks the entrance, village is to the north of the picture)

The parties involved in the meeting had seen this opening firsthand, witnessing how its exposure was graced to be above the murky water that rested all over the marsh. Surrounding this stump was tall grass which stood well over waist height on a standard human or elf, obscuring the poor halflings in attendance. The entrance itself was at an angle, and looking in could reveal in the sunlight the masonry walls which were cracked and crumbled, and a floor covered in mud and debris that had slid in from the open maw. From the outside, the only visible way down would be to drop into the room, which was determined to be a 10 foot drop by those in attendance.

It was decided by the Elder that until the hole could be sealed, that there would be an individual set in place to watch the hole at all hours, based on volunteers. Volunteers were promised 10 silver per shift, and were given a lantern and a spear for protection. The previous day’s watch was done by a few notable members of the village:

Pennyface Happyfeet – A Halfling that is well known in Knotwood for his work on maps of the Pilgrim’s Way as well as nearby mountain hiking trails. They say he took his watch among the branches of the decaying tree due to his short stature. He shooed off a few kids that were curious, poking at them with the spear from up high.

Thunderfist Ironclaw – This dwarf is a recent addition to Knotwood, leaving a caravan he was protecting for the Merchant’s Guild upon arrival. His goals in life are known to be simple: house, hearth, relaxation. During the day he is a known ‘helping hand’, going about from farm to farm and doing basic manual labor for coin. He took the night watch as well as the day watch of today on a tight patrol route, which left a large section of the tall grass flattened from his heavy boots.

On this wet evening, nobody is truly sure who is on watch as the Elder has been trying to keep the individuals who volunteered for watch a secret to prevent possible corruption until after they have done their shift.

Dr. Doji Suave fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Shay, looking over these papers, scratched his beard. This was to be a big score, he hoped. With this earnings, maybe he would not have to prowl the nights of the village searching for an open window or unlocked door anymore: a better future. Shay wasn't the smartest of the bunch, but one doesn't get by in his business without being streetwise. After pouring over the document with his compatriots, in a hushed voice, he said "What if one of us signed up for the watch job? If one of us signed up, we could easily knock the other out before he knew what was coming and slink in undetected."

Bimli used to be an honest dwarf. A boring dwarf. Exactly what his father wanted. He liked the idea of adventure and plunder. However, being trained to take on the family business had made him good with management...at least to an extent. Turning to his partner, Shay, he let out in a hushed tone "and what if they tied it back to the person who was on duty? That's why they chose two guards to begin with. If one gets knocked out, the first one under suspicion will be other.

Shay understood Bimli's complaint, but quickly, and quietly, retorted "But that's why we just need to be quick and be back before the guard wakes."

Bimli shook his head. "It can't be done." Turning to the rest of the table, Bimli flatly let out "I really hope someone else here has an actually good idea."

Covok fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Apr 8, 2015

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Caman leaned forward conspiratorially. "Well, sir, seems to me we could just volunteer to be the both of 'em. No one to rat us out that way-"

"Be quiet, Caman, I don't pay you to think." Frobo tented his fingers on the table. "Violence won't work, my friends. It's distasteful, and besides, too many things could go wrong. Who knows how long we'll be in there for? The proper course of action is-

"You don't pay me at all! I guard the shop because my cousin owns half of it! And I'm doing this as a favor!"

"I said, the proper course of action is, bribe them. Give them something now, and promise them a share when we emerge, rich beyond our wildest dreams! As for what to offer them, well-" Frobo removed a satchel from beneath his robes and displayed three suits. "I have these. The finest of the Geegaw and Gadwick inventory, my friends. Worth more than half of the houses in town. I can't think of too many villagefolk who'd say no to that."

Caman frowned. "Did you ask Gad if you could take those?"

"Not important, Caman. He'll like it well enough when we come back with our pockets lined with gold and who knows what else. So, what do you all think?"

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Sonorous Baritone pipes up in the rich, butter-melted-on-molasses voice that game him his name.

"What I'm thinkin' is... drat, Geegaw! You got any of them suits in a slim-fit 8?"

"Nah, I'm just playin' with ya'll. I'm all for a bribe - ain't afraid of a fight and all, but I'm thinking there's more than enough danger down in that well that we should keep things up here on the quiet side. Maybe we could get 'em to give up they spears and lanterns too. Ain't saying that's how it oughta be... but I think y'all know that's how it oughta be."

Santorum does not break his idiot grin, but his eyes flash like freshly-minted coin buried in a dung-pile. He remains silent for now, allowing those with an interest in more... earthly matters to carry forward the conversation.

Simian_Prime fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Apr 8, 2015

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

As they spoke to one another around their table, shuffling papers and tossing out ideas, the door to the establishment pressed open as the sound of heavy boots thumped their way to the bar as several people called out to the newcomer to join them in drink and game.

"Thunderfist ole pal, care for a round of dice?"

"Well look who it is, Mr. Rich!"

"Drinks are on you tonight right???"

A low growl was audible from the thicket of men by the bar's face as a few people backed away from the dwarf, muttering in hushed tones as they turned and went back to their tables. As the crowd cleared from around the besieged dwarf, it was apparent he was tired. His hair was more unkempt than usual, his clothes were covered up to his chest in dried mud which was accented by bits of grass sticking out from beneath the muck.

His back was to the masses as he leaned over the counter and looked to the barkeep. "Just get me a pint!" He said as the sound of a coin smacked against the bar with an open palm slap. "If I had to wait for my replacement at the hole for one more hour the elder would of had to pay me double."

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Baritone slaps his own coin (5 cp?) on the bar. "Barkeep, Mr. Thunderfist's pint be on me. Add a shot of the hard stuff on the side, too! Ain't no man left to stand out in the cold should have to pay for his drink!"

If there's one thing Baritone knows about dwarves, it's that they hardly speak while sober. But put a few pints in them and they never shut up. Perhaps he can pry some information out of his tongue with some strong drink

"They left you outside in the rain for hours?!? Typical; even in this day and age, the Tall Man always keepin' the Short Man down, am I right? Ain't sayin' that how it be... but I think y'all know that how it be."

"What kinda fool would leave you out there anyway? Ain't it dangerous out there?"

Santorum

"..."

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Frobo sat down on the other side of the dwarf. "Yes indeed, it's criminal what they think they can get away with. Let me also buy you a drink, I insist." He pulled a coin from his woefully light purse and slapped it down. (5 cp here too)

Frobo gestured for Bimli to come over as well. It was liable to require a team effort to get the dwarf sufficiently drunk.

----------

Caman watched the halflings butter up Thunderfist. Being sneaky wasn't really his style, and Frobo would probably get angry if he tried to help. So he decided to just sit this one out.

He turned to the blankly grinning gongfarmer. "San, what do you think about this?" Probably a waste of time, but it'd be rude not to at least try to include him.

Shark Mafia fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 8, 2015

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Shark Mafia posted:

"San, what do you think about this?"

"Let the scoundrels get us to that pit in whatever way they wish. I only care about what's down there."

He turns to Caman, never breaking his grin. "You know just how old that pit is, boy?"

From his coat, the gongfarmer pulls out a crumpled piece of parchment, covered in stains best left to the imagination. "I do. That pit's far older than anything in this rathole village. A month ago, I was digging out in the cesspits of Hobart the Hog-Farmer, when I found this amongst the dung. These names - Sezerakan, Azi Dahaka, Fata Trifecta - and sigils are the work of great powers, powers that could belong to us! Typical Knotwood mentality: "Oh look, the bygone secrets of a lost age! Let me use it to wipe my rear end!!!"

"But you see that five-sided shape in the center? It matches the pit's entrance!"

He hides the toilet paper back in his coat.

"This pit is more than just a ticket to wealth, young Caman - this is the chance to reclaim the untold secrets of the ages. Are your eyes prepared?"

Simian_Prime fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 8, 2015

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Shay leaned in on the table as the two hobbits halflings bribed the dwarf. In a whisper, he began "unless my ears deceive me, that old dwarf just said he was waiting on his relief and left before it arrived. The hole could be unguarded or, at least, only guarded by a single man if we are quick on our feet."

"Or, in the time we take to get there, his relief arrives and we end up looking like idiots with our dicks in our hands!"

Shay moved his chair a bit away from the dwarf. "I mean...you can do that, but I don't see how that will..."

"It's a figure of speech, you moron!" he let out with a bellow.

"Oh, right, sure..." Shay turns his head from the dwarf to the smiling fool, "Anyway, this might be our chance to get in easy and undetected. If you really want your power, then this could be your chance...of course, godly powers may come out of your share of the gold and loot."

"And already the scoundrel tries to short people..."

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

"I want to hear what the Short Ones can squeeze out of the dwarf first. We still don't know exactly what lies in wait out there. But once they've got something useful, we make way, posthaste!"

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

(Make it 3 cp, barkeep cuts discounts to dedicated customers)

The arrival of the halfling took Thunderfist by surprise, his shoulders jumping slightly as the drink was waived over to him. With the newly arrived flagon in one hand, and his original in the other, he began to take drinks out of both with long drawn greedy slurps. From the corners of his lips small trails of mead dripped down into his matted black beard, as both flagons were quickly emptied. "Some times I have to agree with that sentiment! Ole Lenold is a veteran of several battles, has been all over the coast of The Great Lake, and yet he asks the common stock to watch his precious hole?" with a huff, he pressed the two empty flagons across the surface and put his arms up on the bar as if disappointed....

...until the finely clothed halfling flanked him at the bar and deposited another 3 cp on the table, rewarding the dwarf with another hard earned flagon of mead. Most civil minded individuals would question this display of compassion from strangers, but Thunderfist was a man of the road and had spent his time in service to the most questionable of hosts. He knew when to take what he could get, and for him free booze was on the top of the list next to treasure and ladies. "Truly the kindness flowing through the Goat tonight is unyielding!" The flagon was brought to his lips, slower this time as his stomach rumbled from the sudden ingestion of so much liquid. "It really is criminal, why would he accept only the offers from us height challenged folk? Poor Pennyface sat in the tree and I spent a good portion of last night flattening the grass around the area by foot! poo poo, tonight Cromswell brought with him a cute little wall he crafted out of a wooden door to hide behind. Lenold just taking advantage of the less fortunate!"

With a final gulp the third flagon went away, as he glanced to his two compatriots and belched loudly sending spittle across the bar. "So gents, what can I help you with? I have been around long enough to know when I am being bought." His look went to serious as he placed his arms once again on the bar top, rested as he leaned back a bit and visibly relaxed himself.

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Frobo was mildly impressed. The dwarf was smarter than he looked, although admittedly that wasn't saying much. Further beating around the bush would probably just antagonize him.

"Yes, I see there's no point in deceiving you. We'd like to know who's up there manning the hole- I gather Cromswell is one-, how they'll be doing it, and whether they'd be amenable to a nice... ah.... goodwill gift. Any arrangement we can come to with them- and you- will work out for the best for everyone. Except the elder, I suppose, but I'm sure you'll agree he's not worthy of much consideration."

---------------

What was Santorum going on about? As far as Caman could tell, that thing he was holding up was just a stained rag. Stained with, well, Caman could guess. Eugh.

Caman had never thought much about the 'lore of the ancients' and suchlike. Sounded like a bunch of hocus-pocus to him. He was doing this because Frobo has wheedled him into it, and because, if he was honest with himself, he was bored to tears. He was a squire without a knight, in a tiny town where nothing interesting ever happened. He spent his days guarding a haberdasher's shop from nonexistent thieves, and his evenings counting his meager savings in the hopes of eventually having enough to get to the capital. It was time for a change, and he wasn't going to miss this opportunity. So, strange as the man was, he was glad Santorum agreed about the vault.

He took off his pothelm and began polishing it with the edge of his shirt. Prospective adventurers had to look their best.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

"My main man Frobo's got the right idea. Why Lenold so quick to fill this hole, anyway? I'm tell you why; the Elder less concerned about that hole, and more concerned about he own butt-hole. And by that, he want to cover the vault so he get what's inside and cover his rear end, without anyone the wiser!"

"What our friends want to do - and I know what you want to do - is have ourselves a little looky-loo before it's too late. If there's anything in there, it should help honest folk - Short and Tall folk - and not just the Elder's pockets. After all, it's gonna get filled up anyway; what's the harm in taking a peek inside? We got the tools, and we got the talent! Anything you can do to make this happen, we'll make it worth your while!"

Santorum nods to Caman. "I've seen Baritone work a fast one over a rube before, but he and your employer are like the two tines on a serpent's tongue. Impressive! - if this venture bears no fruit, they could always become a pair of traveling confidence-men."

Covok
May 27, 2013

Shay turned his gaze to the eternal smile of the spotless mind. "They sure are a pair of safe crackers. Hell, the guy basically told us where all his comrades like to hide. Might as well have drawn us a map. Hell, not even considering that, the elder's love of short folk already gives us an advantage. Ya know, considering present company." Leaning back in his chair, Shay mouthed smoking an imaginary cigarette. "We're on easy street, boys."

Bimli, stroking his beard, kept his gaze on the drunken dwarf. "I already said that we're not going to sign up and potentially get traced. But...that old man's bribe idea sounds pretty solid, at the moment. If the other hire-es have the same loyalty of the snake as this drunkard, it should be more than a sintch to pay them to keep quiet. I don't like leaky pipes, though. Suppose that ship sailed with Baritone's last statement, however."

Bimili's eyes were caught by a flash from Caman's helmet. The boy had a rather familiar face. It reminded Bimili of the look he had when he decided to get wrapped up in this whole scheme: the face of boredom and non-content. "Kid, you eager to see some action? Regardless of if you or aren't, it'd be best to keep it off your face. Your broadcasting our plans more than Baritone." Bimili let out a little chuckle. To the dwarf, that was a joke. To most people, that wouldn't even register as an attempt at a joke.

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

The mixture of alcohol and amusement at the situation put a smile on the dwarf's face as he pulled from his side pouch a silver piece and placed it on the counter. "Three sir, one for each of us here in attendance. A drink to good health and foolish ideas!" The barkeep laughed softly and poured three more tankards of mead as he cleared the area of the previous three glasses. Before the dwarf could bring his own drink to his lips, a hand grabbed the bottom of the tankard and stopped him as the barkeep showed the three of them the coin. "Whoa now fair dwarf, you know that the Merchant's Mint stamps more silver out of these pieces than traditional Agrunn currency. Bigger city vendors may not mind the loss, but I can't weather it long term." Sure enough, as the coin was shown to the three it was obvious that it was a tad larger, but thinner. On both faces was the symbol of the Merchant's Guild, a scale evenly balanced on a diamond backdrop. "Bah! Fine then, bleed me dry!" Thunderfist dropped an extra 2 copper onto the bar to make up the difference as the keep shrugged and slipped the coins into his own pouch.

"Anyways... Cromwell is actually a pilgrim who is staying with the Elder. He wanted to earn some more silver before he made the final trek to Vismoth. Nice enough fella, won't shut up though." Another drink was taken as he sighed and looked to the two halflings on either side. "If you want in, just give the man some money. I doubt he will put up much of a fuss. Like myself, he is only doing it for the coin and that poor halfling could use every pence he can get his hands on." Once again the dwarf found his mug empty as he set it down and pushed the stool back causing it to grind against the planks below. "Don't worry about compensation to me, I don't want to be involved. If you guys want to trouble yourselves with this, that's your own darn business. Leave me out of it." With a resounding pat on Baritone and Frobo's backs he stood and stretched his arms out as joints popped in response. "As for the hole itself, a cold breeze comes from it, but that is all I know. I just did my job and came here. Pennyface might have more information but the lad is probably with his family this evening eating supper."

One last pat on the back was given to each of them as he turned and made his way to the door, pushing it open as he shook his head and sighed.

"drat greed gonna get em killed..."

quote:

The Merchant’s Guild

During the time of the City States, it was very common for City States to have no clue about one another, only stumbling upon each other during times of expansion. This method of discovery only lead to land disputes which turned to war in many cases. To help find possible enemies before they found them, many City States started to send out wagon trains whose sole purpose was to scour the wastes and find civilizations to trade with. This provided both a possible ally, and an idea of where others were located.

As City States started to lose popularity, the caravans that once played scout and diplomat turned to their our purpose and formed a guild dedicated to the safety of good and services on the open trail. Operating out of Agrunn, the Merchant’s Guild is responsible for the safety of all sorts of shipping paths by land or sea. Mercenaries are tested, interviewed, and sworn in under their power, and patrol certain areas of the many trails that cross through the land.

For many young men and women wishing to leave their towns when coming of age, they sign up with the Guild as it can be a window to opportunity to travel.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

"Well, that's that, I suppose!"

The halfing hustler heads back to the main table, keeping his voice in hushed tones, so as not to gain the attention of the bar. "Yeah, so turn out the only thing between us and the vault is some pilgrim name Cromwell, and he only doing this thing for pocket change! Why, he'll prob just walk away for a song! In fact, I got a song just for that! *ahem*

"Motheeeeers, don't let yer sons grow up to be minotauuuuuurrrssss-"

"Enough, you fool! You say they left only one guard tonight?"

"That's right. Apparently using a wooden door for a shield, too. Not exactly "Defender of the Crown", material, y'all know what I mean?"

"Good. Six on one, it should be easy to dispose of him. I even know a nearby cesspit where we can dump his-"

"San-torum! Right now the only thing that smell worse than the poo poo on your hands is the poo poo comin' out your mouth. What y'all talking about "dispose"? Ain't goin in no hole, or anywhere else, if town guard locks us up for stabbin' somebody that can just get bought off anyway. All we gotta do is meet this Cromwell, put some coin in his pocket, and maybe fit him in some of Geegaws new threads so he walk away feelin' like a stone cold playa-pimp."

"He gets what he want, we get what we want. That how the Monkey-Hustle's played, baby!"

*glower*

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

"Agreed." Frobo looks at Santorum reproachfully as he sits back down at the table. "Cold-blooded murder, suggested so casually? Do you take us for a gang of brigands, Santorum? We are businessmen, and this is a highly lucrative business opportunity. Not a cause for pointless killing, remember that. Although," He said, lowering his voice, "if Cromwell refuses to see reason, have that shovel of yours ready, and some rope. We're going down that hole one way or another."

Covok
May 27, 2013

Shay nodded as he heard the group argue over murdering the halfling. "Smiles, I'm no murder either so let's keep that as our last resort. Punishment for trespassing is only some time in jail, punishment for murder is hanging. Rather not have my neck stretched too long. I like it as it is."

Shay stood up from the table and leaned towards the rest of the group. "Regardless of all that, it is still as I said it was earlier: we need to make haste and get their while we still have a guard we can buy off. Always better to do these things at night, as well. Trust me. Good practice."

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

"Look like you been outvoted, Poop-Smith! I ain't sayin' that how it be... but I think y'all know, that how it be!"

"..."

Baritone drains the last of mead from his flagon.

"Welp - like Shay says, time's a wastin'. Let's go see a man about a hole!"

Simian_Prime fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Apr 10, 2015

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

((So everyone en-route to the hole then? Just wanna be sure before I type that lovely description up!))

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

((Yeah my dudes are ok with that idea))

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

((yeah let's get rolling))

Covok
May 27, 2013

((Yep, let's do this))

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

((HERE WE GO)

With little delay and a finishing of their drinks, the six left the Green Goat and fixed their eyes to the south with dreams of adventure, plunder, and mythos on toiler paper. By now the sun had fully parted from the sky above allowing the moon to bask the land in its full glory in a soft glow. The village was filled with the smells of meats and pastries being cooked on the cool night air. In the streets the drunks have start to rest on their porches and in the alleys as they talk and stumble about, the sin of gambling embedding itself into the pockets of many of the wage slaves.

All of this was slowly behind them as they started south down the road, keeping to the side as the cobblestones beneath their feet kept them dry. Around them the tall grasses swayed with the cool breeze which rustled the trees, overhead small groups of bats fly around eating what few bugs have yet went dormant for the approaching winter. In the distance the Devil's Spine Horn stood on the horizon as clouds gathered around the peaks in wispy, fast moving segments still visible thanks to the powerful moonlight showering the land. Even as the distance between themselves and the village grew, the sounds of the small civilization was carried to them.

Soon however all of this was replaced with the closed in tree covered marshes that laid on the edge of The Great Lake. Flies buzzed all about and toads sang their song all around them as they did their best to avoid stepping in the stagnant, murky waters. Where a cobblestone road kept them dry and moving at a normal pace, the marsh provided them with a mud path and vegetation that was covered in water from the rains of the day.

(:rolldice:)

All that delayed the six was the harsh traveling in the marshes, as they were soon able to make out the lantern light up ahead through the trees and grass. Immediately the six knew they had reached their destination as through the grass they could see the light hanging from the tree, as the tall grass around the hole on the small island of dirt and stone had been stomped down. Against the tree where the lantern hung, was a simple oaken door on it's long edge with a halfling sitting behind it on a chair. In his hands was a rather large tome open and in the process of being read. Next to him against the door was a long spear crafted from a simple wood dowel and a basic spear point.

The clothes of the halfling in the dark looked to be very, very basic. A simple white tunic stained with dirt and grime covered his torso with the sleeves rolled up, and his legs were home to simple twill pants covered in holes. His feet dangled bare slightly above the ground as he continued to read, unknowing of the six in the bushes just a handful of feet away.

"It truly is amazing what Gremory would do for his camel!"

His voice carried well in the cluttered marsh, forced to a loud pitch as his eyes glanced up briefly as he spoke to himself and then went back to his reading.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

((The red circle is the party's current location. I will have better, cooler maps for the dungeon itself. I figured for this there was no merit to something gridded out and exact. You guys are 15th feet from his position, which is in the pentagon entrance)).

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

"Well now, since we're agreed, no reason to keep the fellow waiting. Except.. Santorum, Shay, perhaps stay hidden and sneak around to the other side? If he refuses the deal and tries to run, catch him and knock him out. Insurance, you see, in case he proves misguided. Caman, just...ah.. just stick by me and try to look intimidating."

So saying, Frobo stepped out into the open and walked toward the halfling. "Greetings, my good fellow! Cromwell, isn't it? Don't be alarmed now, we mean you no harm. We simply have a friendly proposition for you, one I guarantee you'll want to hear."

Caman followed Frobo out of the bush, right hand near his weapon. He supposed if knocking the poor guy out was necessary, it was necessary, but if the talk turned to murder again, he'd remind them all who among them had the longsword. Killing innocent people was definitely not what proper adventurers did.

He thought he could count on Bimli, at least, to back him up on that.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

EDIT: Accidently deleted this post in the process of making my next one. My bad!

tl;dr - Santorum sneaks around behind Cromwell, Baritone begins his sales pitch.

Simian_Prime fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Apr 16, 2015

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

((Will post in the morning, I wanted to see if Covok did anything in particular, plus I just got settled in at home for the first time in four days, so I need to get my notes off of my laptop.))

Covok
May 27, 2013

(Sorry, I had to travel back to college because spring break just ended. Should have mentioned that'd take me out of commission for a day or two.))

"Good idea. No point in having a thief in your group if he just stays out in the open all the time." Shay began to sneak around back and stay hidden from the halfling. (Tell me if I need to roll to be successful.)

"Kid is rather absorbed in a book for someone guarding something so important." Bimli thought to himself, "Poor sod should learn to be more alert and keep such things to his free time."

Bimli, as he saw Shay scurry around back, gave Caman a look. Bimli knew that killing the poor sod would only attract more attention than needed, but he had some faith that Shay, a long time thief, would know this already. Regardless, he knew Caman was too young and noble for this trade, he'd be an ally in making sure things didn't get bloody.

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

((It's fine! :) No big deal, no rush here! Take your time getting settled if you need it.))

The sounds of movement approaching caused the halfling to slam the book shut as he stood from the chair, grabbing the spear in both hands as he turned to the direction the talkative group was approaching from. His stance was firm and the spear point was ready for a thrust as from behind the glasses his eyes squinted to take in the shapes approaching.

Once Frobo and the others stepped into the light he relaxed, letting out a whew as the two sneaking behind him went unnoticed. With his heart in his throat, he leaned the spear back against the makeshift barricade and wiped his hands on his dirty shirt as best as he could to remove the sweat before approaching Frobo and extending a hand for a shake.

"Why, yes, my name is Cromwell, although I was told the people guarding were going to be kept secret..." he looked to the others as he sighed and turned back to focus his attention on Frobo as Baritone gave his pitch. "Well, luckily for you, I am in the neighborhood of some silver and I do need a new suit for an upcoming dinner..." stroking his chin he turned and glanced quickly back to the hole, before turning and walking back towards it while gesturing for them to follow.

"I doubt anyone has any real interest in this musty old hole anyways, come on over to the main source of light and let's talk business." Reaching down he grabbed a large burlap sack that was resting under the chair and opened it, grabbing a small coin pouch and pulling it out. "I have silver and gold if needed for payment. With a bodyguard as stern as that fella there, I imagine you need it!"

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

"I'm mighty stoked to hear that! You're obviously a man with an eye for quality, so I say "TREAT YO SELF!!!" We've got three - count 'em, THREE - of the finest hemmed, hawed, and tailored suits of the fi-nest material! Any one of them will say to your hosts, "Guess who comin' to dinner... and stayin' for dessert!?!"

"No, I won't lie - Geegaw's shop spares no expense in findin' the finest cloth, and fine cloth is worth a fair amount of coin..."

Baritone leans towards Cromwell conspiratorially.

"... but you can walk away with a suit for the low, low price of "makin' yourself scarce and not tellin' nobody that you saw us."

"Now I ain't sayin that's gotta be the way... but I think y'all know that's gotta be the way."

Simian_Prime fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Apr 16, 2015

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Frobo's eyes lit up at the mention of gold. His mouth opened, ready to haggle... But he clamped down on the reflex, sternly admonishing himself. The true prize was down the hole, more gold than this bookish dimwit could possibly give him, and who knew what else? He opened the satchel and displayed a pristine halfling-sized suit.

"It's as Baritone says. Let us pass, no one else the wiser, and this fine piece of workmanship will be yours, completely free. What do you say?"

Covok
May 27, 2013

(Sorry about the delay. I really have no excuse other than I didn't really need to contribute to the scene at this particular point. In the future, I'll just mention when I'm doing that, but, since I've made you wait, I'll do something. Don't get me wrong, it was nice to wait and it's my fault for not catching on that that was happening.)

Shay, seeing how forthcoming and helpful the man is, relaxes, but does not reveal his position.

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

(Honestly I have been busy, which was the key part of the waiting. I should of said something but I wanted to at least get what little forums time I had focused on the 5E game I am in. I will have a reply in the morning! From here on out if I don't have a reply within a day and it is roleplaying I will just keep moving.)

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Cromwell moved closer to the two as he looked over the three fine suits that they had dragged out with them into the marsh. Carefully he wiped his hands on his sleeves, before reaching out and feeling the fabric between his fingers.

Looking back to the hole, which laid there underneath twisted roots as a black, bottomless expanse, then back to the suit, Cromwell gave out a defeated sigh and placed the suit over his shoulder.

"A deal's a deal. I leave in the morning anyways. Masiago won't know a peep about this. Just promise me that you won't go dying, right?"

With that he turned and gathered the spear and lamp, as he approached the pair once more, arms visibly full.

"If you are looking for work, I am teaming up with an expedition leaving Vismoth to a sunken ironclad in The Great Lake in 10 days. I am sure we can accompany a few more daring souls in the roster, granted you don't mind taking dangers. We will be meeting at a little tavern on the pier known as the Vismoth Tankard Authority. My person proceeds are going to the church, but we care little for what you would do with your cut."

With a small bow, he started past the two as he carefully navigated the marsh behind them, making his way to the village.

"Hopefully we see each other alive again!"

~~~~~~~~~~

Ahead of the group, was the large hole which in the darkness peered out from under the rotted tree. A breeze passed over the area causing the chasm to give off a slight whistle.

Looking down the hole with a light source would show that the stone floor below is a 10 foot drop, with about 2 feet of muck and several inches of standing water in the room.

quote:

Ironclads

An Ironclad is any ship from the Golden Age that was a seafaring vessel made of metal. Many of the Ironclads that are plundered were once cargo ships, although a few war equipped vessels have been raided by daring adventurers.

Dr. Doji Suave fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 21, 2015

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

"Well, no sense standing around! He who dares, wins, I always say. Caman, get in there."

"But- Oh, fine." Caman sighs in resignation, then pulls a rope from his pack, ties one end to a nearby tree, and drops the other down the hole. He shimmies carefully down it, and drops into the muck on the dungeon floor, drawing his sword and holding it ready in his hand. He looks around carefully before going any farther, checking for traps. Or whatever. He'd never been in a dungeon before, but all the proper ones had that sort of thing.

Untrained spot skill check- spotting 'traps or whatever' (intelligence): 1d10-1 4

"Eh, I don't see anything. Someone with sharper eyes get down here. And bring a light!"

Shark Mafia fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 23, 2015

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

With lit torch in hand, Santorum climbs down the rope.

"At last, the chance to gaze down this miserable pit! Hold the torch, boy! Leave this to one who has stood in the slime and muck as his trade!"

Giggling like a madman, he hands the torch to Caman, and begins sifting through the knee-deep muck with his trowel.

"Oh, Glorious Filth! Oh, Immaculate Midden-Heap! May you bloom sweet treasure from your nauseating depths!"

Trained Skill check (Gongfarmer) + Int mod: 1d20+2 19

Simian_Prime fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 23, 2015

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

[A1 - The Entrance Room]

Upon descending into the open chasm and making contact with the mud below, a terrible smell fills the air. Once light is brought forth to better see what is in the area, it is apparent that several animal corpses are laying about here in various states of decomposition which includes a young deer, a rabbit, and a few squirrels. Their bodies are bloated as the sound of various insects chewing on the rotten flesh slowly creeps into the ears of those already invested in the muck. Flies rise up off of the bodies at their intrusion and buzz around, getting close to the daring adventurers as they brush ears and land on and off of the pair.

The walls are stone masonry, coated in mud and deposit buildup from years of water slowly dripping into the complex from the marshes above. The ceiling is flat stone however it is apparent that many of the large tiles are starting to fall in, as large dirt patches are visible among the masonry above.

Searching the small room for traps only reveals a single exit heading into what is presumed more of the complex. The door that keeps this arch sealed is wooden and visibly soggy as the handle lays on the floor after the weight of the iron ripped out of the decomposing door at some point.

Santorum digs deep into the mud that the two landed in, as his shovel finds nothing but rocks and sticks in the mess... until there is a distinctive -squish- on the business end of the instrument as the removal of the muck reveals a body of a well dressed halfling buried under the mud. His hands clasp around a walking stick, while on his back is a burlap sack held on with a bit of twine. The physical state of the body fairs better than the animals in room, although the skin is covered in lesions where maggots have made the deceased halfling their home.

If one were to look into the pack on his back, they would find 5 Silver and a simple dagger as the only salvageable items.

Exits
Door to the north, wooden, rotted, no handle

Covok
May 27, 2013

With a huff, Bimli began to work his way down into the dungeon. As he did he took careful eye of his companions. He especially kept his eye on...

Shay had quickly come out of his hiding after the halfling left. What point is it to hide from someone who isn't there? Wanting to not be left behind, he decided to double time it to the hole. Slipping on a piece of earth, Shay fell forward and...

Bimili was normally the type to keep his eyes on his feet when he climbed, but he felt uneasy. Perhaps it was the hole, but he blamed it on his companions. As he made another pass of his glance at those below, he looked up to see..

Shay bumped his knee against the dwarf's helm as he feel. As pain shot from the site to his head, he wondered which of the two got it worse! Surely him!...

Bimili's eye when huge when he shay the falling human. He felt a horrid clang against his helm and lost his grip. As the pain shot across his skull, he wondered which of the two got it worse! Surely him!

Bimli fell into the muck with Shay landing on top of him. Pushing the human off him, Bimli got up and dusted the muck off.

"You lousy idiot! Are you trying to kill me?"

Shay, his face covered in muck, worked his way into a sitting position. Knowing the dwarf was no doubt chiding him, he chose to ignore him as he scanned the room. As the dwarf raddled on, he saw the wooden door and decided to take a closer look.

Being a locksmith's former apprentice and a frequent thief of the night, Shay took care as he approached the door and peeked through the crack of the door.

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Caman stood behind Shay as the thief peered through the door, still holding the sword and torch. He noticed that the halflings had still not descended into the hole, and so took a moment to shout up at his millstone accomplice.

"Hey, Frobo! Are you coming in or not?"

Seeing Shay's grimace, he recalled where he was. Right, noise discipline. Who knew what could be behind that door? Belatedly he switched to a whisper. "You see anything in there?"

Frobo scowled. That lad was getting far too big for his britches. "Focus, Caman! I don't employ you to question my management decisions!"

Seeing the room was safe and clear, he descended the rope. Ugh, this place was disgusting. The stinking muck came up to his waist, ruining his fine suit, and it could hardly be sanitary- the gongfarmer had found a corpse under there. He moved as quickly as he could towards the party members clustered around the room's exit.

Shark Mafia fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Apr 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

((putting the 5 sp and the dagger in group treasure. Is that cool?))

Baritone follows the rest of the party down the rope. He sees Santorum fishing through the pack on the putrefying corpse!

------------------------

"Oh, that ain't right! It's Farmer Maggot; look what happened to him! Sorry-rear end fool went and fell down a well."

"Well, Maggot by name, Maggot by nature now, eh?"

"That's disgusting. Have some respect for- I call dibs on that knife!!!", Baritone yells after spotting the loot from the corpse's pack.

"Like Hell, you do! This goes in group treasure, to be divided after we've fully searched this cavern, as we all agreed before setting out."

"Well, technically, y'all know we found this outside the door, I'm just sayin'..."

"GROUP. TREASURE.", Santorum says with crushing finality, as he stuffs the dagger and coin in a sack he reserved for the purpose.

"The door's right there, Baritone. If you're that eager to feed your greed, you could always lead!"

"A'ight. Someone gotta open it, first! Looks like it's about as strong as wet pasteboard. Someone tougher than me could tear it up real easy."

• Locked thread