Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

quote:

The National Crime Victimization Survey shows... an estimated 0.8 percent of noncollege females age 18-24 revealed that they were victims of threatened, attempted, or completed rape/sexual assault. Of the college females that age during that same time period, approximately 0.6 percent reported they experienced such attempted or completed crime.

That finding diverges wildly from the notion that one in five college women will be sexually assaulted by the time they graduate. That’s the number most often used to suggest there is overwhelming sexual violence on America’s college campuses.

Slate

I've never heard this before. I quit reading Slate when Hitch died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
The one in five statistic was only ever cited by people who wanted to believe it for ideological reasons.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
There are still people who believe the Rolling Stone article is true and will shriek angrily about any comments to the contrary. People are retarded about this poo poo.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Listen and believe.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

-Troika- posted:

There are still people who believe the Rolling Stone article is true and will shriek angrily about any comments to the contrary. People are retarded about this poo poo.

"There are still people who believe" a lot of things, however their beliefs do not affect the arguments of smarter people who share their values or political goals.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Miltank posted:

The one in five statistic was only ever cited by people who wanted to believe it for ideological reasons.

I'm reminded of CS Lewis, on the tendency to want to believe bad things when it's ideologically convenient:

C.S. Lewis, 'Mere Christianity' posted:

“Suppose one reads a story of filthy atrocities in the paper. Then suppose that something turns up suggesting that the story might not be quite true, or not quite so bad as it was made out. Is one's first feeling, 'Thank God, even they aren't quite so bad as that,' or is it a feeling of disappointment, and even a determination to cling to the first story for the sheer pleasure of thinking your enemies are as bad as possible? If it is the second then it is, I am afraid, the first step in a process which, if followed to the end, will make us into devils. You see, one is beginning to wish that black was a little blacker. If we give that wish its head, later on we shall wish to see grey as black, and then to see white itself as black. Finally we shall insist on seeing everything -- God and our friends and ourselves included -- as bad, and not be able to stop doing it: we shall be fixed for ever in a universe of pure hatred.”

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
:h: everything Quorum just posted. Bloody brilliant.

E: after a bit more thought as to why I said the above, I decided that it reminded me of the case I presented a few pages ago in this thread.
I would say that to think fairly about this delicate issue, one must first decide that:

1 Male on Female rape occurs
2 Male on Male rape occurs
3 Female on Female rape occurs
4 Female on Male rape occurs
5 False accusations occur

( I am not saying any occur in any regularity, but instead, that "there is nothing new under the sun" )

In my own case, it was a false accusation. A better aged Solvent might say "This woman was clearly crazy, and capable of telling lies in court. I am capable of recognizing clear cut crazy. Why did I involve myself with her at all?"

I could say she was very pretty (she was objectively), I could say she appealed to some crazy spot in myself as well. I could say a lot of things, but what I said seemed well summed up by the repetitious angle of Quorum's quote. ("as bad, and not be able to stop doing it")

To simplify it and apply it to myself I can say, I was being repetitious. I was involving myself with a woman I knew I should not have, but I did not listen to my better judgement. I instead, gave in to a lesser impulse. Is it a weakness for pretty, crazy women? Am I acting out some kind of psychological drama? Was she? How much of any culture was I leaning on in order to make my judgements about her(and her about me)?

Do I hate her now?
No.

Do I Speak with her?
I was not even at the time of reception of the order.

Did her accusation hurt me?
Her harassment of my friends, old acquaintances and neighbors hurt only my reputation with those that already did not like me, but yes.
It hurt me. I was being called a monster in a legal document. One I was (and am still) sure I am not. She said she even feared for the safety of her child, (it was in the document I believe, and stricken due to lack of evidence I guess) to whom I provided nothing but laughter. Her daughter was a picky eater, so I played games with her to get her to eat, that was the extent of my my malice. Playing peek-a-boo when she hid under the table, and trying to see what was clearly provoking her anxiety about eating diminish.
It hurt me that she could say I would hurt her, and it hurt me more that she could say I would hurt her child.

I should have never gotten involved, and I can take this lesson and learn, to not see her as evil, but likely hurt herself.
I can learn that she is the type of woman I should avoid, and I in the future will be wiser and safer in knowing whom I should not trust.

Solvent fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Aug 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
I'd rather get rear end raped than suck a dick. Discuss.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread